• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Konosuba Season 2 Episode 5

I am guessing Darkness wish came true since she was taken over by a demon Lol. This show is extremely ridiculous.

Aqua is so damn useless and dumb, but so helpful. I like her character lmao. She acts like a whiny brat.

All hail explosion magic.

Kind curious as to why you think this because its going for the complete opposite
The show has no subversive subtlety about its dystopic utopian themes of
"equality" enforced by indoctrination and maintained through "correctional clinics"
, but it just comes off as the author whining about things they don't like (in this case
their perception that today we suffer from an overly politically correct culture
). In comparison to Demi-chan, which presents monster girls as a vehicle to addressing a real problem (living with a disability) and makes an effort to spread a message of acceptance and accommodation, A Centaur's Life feels like it doesn't have a positive message to share, hence my cold stance against its inclusion of such themes.

Qurupeke

I don't know what do think of The Reflection two episodes in.

I'm usually a fan of nonlinear storytelling, but I feel like I'm being given breadcrumbs to the story instead of actually seeing it.

Big fan of its style tho.

Tbh, I don't really understand why they had to make it a lot more confusing than it is. It certainly doesn't seem like a complex story, everything is quite straightforward. It's not the type of show that needs that kind of storytelling. And there was really no need to start in media res with the fight or introduce so many characters without any particular info or goal. Also, I still don't get why they're continuing the cameos with the idol group.

In any case, I think the second episode was an improvement on that aspect and it kind of set things straight, though it was admittedly much less exciting.

The Reflection 2:
I'm not completely sold yet, but this was a better episode than the first. The way it mixes in scenes from the first episode at least kind of works as far as giving new context, but I'm not sold that we needed things to happen this way. At any rate, we have at least a decent grasp on who the main characters are now and what the world is like, so from here on out it's just a matter of the show taking the time to flesh them out and build the story up some more.

The visuals remain excellent. It's just such a wonderful show to look at.

LotusHD

Banned
All hail explosion magic.

It's been a long road, but I'm glad to see that you've come around.

391.png

The show has no subversive subtlety about its dystopic utopian themes of
"equality" enforced by indoctrination and maintained through "correctional clinics"
, but it just comes off as the author whining about things they don't like (in this case
their perception that today we suffer from an overly politically correct culture
). In comparison to Demi-chan, which presents monster girls as a vehicle to addressing a real problem (living with a disability) and makes an effort to spread a message of acceptance and accommodation, A Centaur's Life feels like it doesn't have a positive message to share, hence my cold stance against its inclusion of such themes.

I can see that view but its also a world where there are entirely different humanoid species so racism based purely on skin color would seem weird. Its a world where you would have to have 20 different ADA bills, and things are so harsh because its either all-in on equality or you rip each other apart. In the past centaurs were slaves etc etc, Anime kind of skips over a lot of that stuff so I can't blame you.

Tbh, I don't really understand why they had to make it a lot more confusing than it is. It certainly doesn't seem like a complex story, everything is quite straightforward. It's not the type of show that needs that kind of storytelling. And there was really no need to start in media res with the fight or introduce so many characters without any particular info or goal. Also, I still don't get why they're continuing the cameos with the idol group.

The partnership between The Reflection and 9nine is presumably one of the ways the production is getting the funding it needs to be made, and if 9nine's producers are paying money to have the group be promoted through The Reflection they're going to expect the group to be promoted. Not the most artistically pure reasons, perhaps, but reasons that are understandable, at least.

Nikodemos

So, finally watched Sky Crawlers.

All I can say is, omoshiroi interesting. The post-credits ending makes you say "ah, so that's why" to some of the beginning actions of several characters.

EDIT:

Also [speuler]
Suito and Yuuichi totally fucked, at least twice.
[/speuler]

Made in Abyss: Coming pretty much out of nowhere, this is probably my anime of the season thus far! Gorgeous animation, an Ghibli-esque charm, and characters that are written like you'd expect children to act. A total shocker, caught me completely off guard.

I assume you didn't see any of the promotional material for this if its quality caught you off guard.

I assume you didn't see any of the promotional material for this if its quality caught you off guard.
I generally try to stay as far away from promotional materials when I decide to watch something and go in as blind as possible. I find it helps create a more honest impression. That and I'd not heard of Kinema Citrus before this, so I had no idea what to expect.

I generally try to stay as far away from promotional materials when I decide to watch something and go in as blind as possible. I find it helps create a more honest impression. That and I'd not heard of Kinema Citrus before this, so I had no idea what to expect.

I mean they were behind Barakamon.

A really great sol anime.

I tend to agree, although I do some reading up after the viewing just in case there's interesting/worthwhile knowledge to add into a review. But yeah, blind is better since you have no major expectations for how good or bad something might be. No getting let down and plenty of being blown away.

Seven Mortal Sins Ep. 12
Whelp, that's finally done. Not sure it really needed to be finished, especially if everyone was struggling to pull this series together with so many delays and all. Even as an Ecchi fanservice series it falls apart after Episode 6.

Nikodemos

Seven Mortal Sins Ep. 12
Whelp, that's finally done. Not sure it really needed to be finished, especially if everyone was struggling to pull this series together with so many delays and all. Even as an Ecchi fanservice series it falls apart after Episode 6.
On a scale of Keijo!!!!!! to Valkyrie Drive, how ecchi you'd say it is?

Asking out of academic curiosity.

I can somewhat understand the desire to go in as blind as possible, but since I don't have time to watch everything that comes out I do pay attention to promotional material so I can have a better grasp of what might be worth my time. Kinema Citrus has done some good work - you should watch Code;Breaker - and although some people who used to be closely associated with the studio haven't been around there lately, Made in Abyss has an impressive collection of talent such as Kazuchika Kise and Kou Yoshinari.

On a scale of Keijo!!!!!! to Valkyrie Drive, how ecchi you'd say it is?

Asking out of academic curiosity.

Hum... Valkyrie Drive x 2 at times it's basically hentai what with tentacle molestation if not rape. Keijo also has a better story and characters, and while Valkyrie Drive is no prize pig, it's cast is also more likable.

Also it's animation tanks frequently from 7-12, though there's a clear effort to keep the boobs on model.

Edit: fixed some typos.

Narag

The Reflection 2
I spent a lot of time trying to contextualize the first episode as it's rather opaque. Most of my theories were shot down and rightfully so as this episode makes it clear that information was intentionally withhold in the first episode to place the viewer squarely in the role of observer either watching the experienced hero from afar or witnessing the debut of the new hotness on the largest stage available. I-Guy, in particular, was amusing given how all the abstractness of his surroundings in the first episode were revealed to be something carefully stage managed in order to garner as much attention as possible. That's a sharp contrast to X-On who simply wants to be left alone and something that I imagine will be a point of conflict between those two protagonists further in.

I feel a lot better after this episode because while the first might not as been as successful in its goal as I'd have liked, the second makes it clear Nagahama knows what he's doing.

Well, I make no great claim to being very well versed in anime studios or project leads (I only really got back into anime last year). I definitely want to see more from Kinema Citrus at some point in the future, they're clearly a studio with some amazing talent in-house. There seem to be more and more small studios like them showing up and making a name for themselves lately.

Well, I make no great claim to being very well versed in anime studios or project leads (I only really got back into anime last year). I definitely want to see more from Kinema Citrus at some point in the future, they're clearly a studio with some amazing talent in-house. There seem to be more and more small studios like them showing up and making a name for themselves lately.

Yeah I recommend you see Code Breaker (for the action) and Barakamon as they are good anime to watch from them.

The Reflection 2

Even if he's clearly riffing on Iron Man, I like I-Guy. A washed-up pop singer treating being a superhero as a staged spectacle done solely for entertainment of the masses is an interesting perspective on the motivations for superheroism. I'm not sure how much the show will actually get into this, but between this and the way the villains who attacked the memorial ceremony in New York City carry some resentment towards the way society has treated them, there's the potential for interesting reflections on the relationship between heroes and society, and what being a hero means, akin to what My Hero Academia has been doing through Stein's character.

At any rate, this episode is enough to convince me that there is actually something to this show beyond the unusual visual style, and so I will keep watching.

I didn't realize someone died directing the second episode of Welcome to the Ballroom.

Apparently his name was Kazunori Mizuno. That's really sad rip, my condolences to his family. But man I wish there was some way to fix the Industry even if it seems impossible at the moment.

Edit: Even if its a little I am happy to support the industry by buying official releases and through Crunchyroll.

Narag

Kakegurui 5

I guess longer matches make for longer cons. Mostly surprised how likeable Mary is now after her introduction because she seemed irredeemable. Between that and the ulterior motives of the culture club girl, I figure characters aren't quite going to be revealed as deep so much as not as superficially shallow as they come appear to be.

sibarraz

Banned
Kakegurui 5

I guess longer matches make for longer cons. Mostly surprised how likeable Mary is now after her introduction because she seemed irredeemable. Between that and the ulterior motives of the culture club girl, I figure characters aren't quite going to be revealed as deep so much as not as superficially shallow as they come appear to be.

Is the series worthy of a watch?

Narag

Is the series worthy of a watch?

If you want tense life or death gambling battles with well thought out games like you'd find in Kaiji, then no.

If you want to see a crazy girl upend a school's status quo because she's crazier than any of the other crazies in the building, then yes. The gambling is mostly a means to an end to show how disruptive she is.

It's like someone saw this Watchmen panel
qdk9k6y.png

then made a show about it with gambling high school students.

Not really but beggars can't be choosers this season.

I've never understood this perspective. If you don't like something, don't watch it; you don't need to feel obligated to watch a certain amount of currently airing shows just because they are currently airing (unless you're being paid to review them).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kakegurui 5

huh.gif
idgi
thinking.gif

Okay I figured it out. This is dumb.

JulianImp

Once I realized there was absolutely nothing for me to watch in CR this season I just decided to go for MHA and Code Geass instead, which was definitely the right call. This season had just too many shows that were bad enough for me to drop them before even finishing their first episode (Angel's 3piece, Fox Spirit Matchmaker, Touken Ranbu, Nora Princess and whatever, as well as that Gyaru show), the Yuri NTR thing, which I didn't drop until ep3 only because it was a short, and Tsurezure Children, which might be one of the better shows I got to watch on CR this season, but still wasn't watch-worthy IMO.

My personal worst seasonal show award goes to Galaxy Tylor, which I was excited about only for the time it took me to click on the link to the official site and look at what was in store for me. Dropped day -1, and it looks like I was sadly right about that as well...

There's always more MHA and the incoming Owari Pt.2 specials (yes!), but then again they're sequels to stuff I already liked before, so I don't think they count as far as seasonal stuff is concerned. At this rate, I'll probably just wait for the season to be close to ending before deciding to watch the shows people actually liked (if there actually end up being any worthwhile ones, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom