• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vatican Miracle Examiner Episode 4

The censoring makes some of the powerful moments look silly and comical, but powerful conclusion. I hope there arent this many ideas thrown in the next arc, the writer just went crazy with it. I dont know how they can even one up themself in the next arcs.

I cant believe the only punishment is that the archbishop cant become a cardinal? Isnt that kind of weak considering the lives lost and financial and shaken faith aspects of the followers. I demand more.

8AA0D6BA-DCA7-4661-9861-29B87706F4A6_zpsjba3l7zh.jpg

Not bad for 125 in Amazon gift cards. Got hunter x hunter set 2 still coming as well.

duckroll

Wow CR is so fucking poor. It's pretty hilarious comparing what Netflix (and eventually Amazon) funding is capable of and what CR funding is capable of. Netflix funds something and we get a full adaptation of Devilman from Yuasa. CR funds something and it's barely 15 minutes of animation?

Qurupeke

Your Name.
Excellent. The light-hearted portions of the movie were really fun, while the more serious ones hit all the right notes emotionally. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be that good despite all the praise. It's a fun and cool concept which had a very good execution. Also, stunning backgrounds. Hell, they're even a plotpoint in the movie, they're not even hiding it! So, comparisons are probably unnecessary and they're actually very different movies, despite the teenage romance, but I actually thought it was better than Koe No Katachi. And it excels exactly where KnK fails, Your Name didn't really feel melodramatic at all, which I thought was rather surprising for that kind of movie. If anything, I had my doubts for the more "epic" approach the trailers suggested, but I was satisfied by the outcome and the film's tone. And well, it certainly had better pacing and more developed characters, though this is a result of cramming a full manga to a 2-hours movie. In any case, both are worth watching and are very good movies, in my opinion.

I'm very glad it had a happy ending.

javac

I'm going to un-hype you: It's pretty meh.

Was never really hyped up about it or anything, just seems like a nice, quaint little period piece with attractive visuals that recreates a bygone era which is straight up my alley. I've been meaning to watch it for a while now but I've been busy doing...stuff.

sonicmj1

This is representative of the first episode until the end; yet, I found it to be more nuanced than that. Thereafter the focus sets into interpersonal behavior and image. The character archetypes don't seem problematic in-universe, and the characters themselves have expressed some depth and self-awareness.

What was drawn-out, exactly?

Maybe the show makes progress in later episodes. I can only go by what I saw. As soon as Tendou was introduced more formally I had a difficult time accepting the show; I dislike that character archetype a great deal. It's part of why I dropped Umaru so early. Maybe it's because it tends to remind me of OreImo.

I think I found the episode's pacing rather laborious because, to put it simply, not much happened. There's a lot of exposition and internal monologue for Amano. It felt like they were dragging their feet to set up the reversal-of-expectations gag at the very end (that he doesn't join the club), which was interesting, but not that rewarding on its own. Very little of the humor landed.

By all accounts it seems like the show improves, but the first episode didn't leave a good impression on me.

Re:Creators 16

You know, if Meteora were actually evil and secretly manipulating everyone through her long boring monologues into increasing her own power, this could be a nice twist on things.

Otherwise, they are just repeating the same shit that they have for the past few episodes, yet again, this episode for the majority of it.

I'm heading for Japan tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be crazy jet-lagged when I arrive, but hopefully I'll adjust well enough.

Buy something from a vending machine.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

96zvH6k.png

I need to get it on BD.

Was never really hyped up about it or anything, just seems like a nice, quaint little period piece with attractive visuals that recreates a bygone era which is straight up my alley. I've been meaning to watch it for a while now but I've been busy doing...stuff.

Except for the music at least ;p

Wow CR is so fucking poor. It's pretty hilarious comparing what Netflix (and eventually Amazon) funding is capable of and what CR funding is capable of. Netflix funds something and we get a full adaptation of Devilman from Yuasa. CR funds something and it's barely 15 minutes of animation?

Its a special though, not a full blown production from what I have seen.

I honestly don't like Amazon getting into anime for the fact I have to pay twice to even get their anime service which kinda of sucks. Although I can kinda of get with Netflix, but it sucks when they have part of a already released series.

Oh well it doesn't matter because I already accepted it Lol.

blurr

Your Name.

Excellent. The light-hearted portions of the movie were really fun, while the more serious ones hit all the right notes emotionally. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be that good despite all the praise. It's a fun and cool concept which had a very good execution. Also, stunning backgrounds. Hell, they're even a plotpoint in the movie, they're not even hiding it! So, comparisons are probably unnecessary and they're actually very different movies, despite the teenage romance, but I actually thought it was better than Koe No Katachi. And it excels exactly where KnK fails, Your Name didn't really feel melodramatic at all, which I thought was rather surprising for that kind of movie. If anything, I had my doubts for the more "epic" approach the trailers suggested, but I was satisfied by the outcome and the film's tone. And well, it certainly had better pacing and more developed characters, though this is a result of cramming a full manga to a 2-hours movie. In any case, both are worth watching and are very good movies, in my opinion.

I'm very glad it had a happy ending.

Too much of the drama felt artificial for me considering how much it relies on the fantasy elements during key moments. I wasn't entirely convinced with its first half as a love story either but that's okay, it had its amusing moments. I just lost any connection towards it midway. I can see how people like it but it's just a bit much for me. Overall, I'd still pick Shinkai's inconclusive 5cm/sec over this.

KnK tackles delicate themes, goes on more naturally than YN. In that respect, I like it more.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Kemono Friends

It's was amazing. A pretty chill show with good mystery, plus the last two episodes had me completely hooked. I can't wait for season 2.

So next week they are going to have a sports event, therefore they won't air episode 5. Instead, they did air it today!

Episode 4

It's over 9000!

Yes, in the end, this is being a very decent adaption of the manga, but the manga still reigns king. The manga 'works' because it cheats, if you think about it. The 'cheat' I am talking about is the magic of comic fiction, in truth, how panels create the illusion of something isn't truly there, you only see the full scene in your head. They don't really show the dancing, only a posture here and there, and their intense faces, and the comments of the audience, and when they say they are doing great, you believe it (even if you truly didn't see it).
In an anime, they actually have to show the dancing, so it can happen you see them dancing more or less normally, with just a few intense faces in the middle, and when the audience shouts 'oh so good!' you are left with a strange impression because it wasn't that great in your eyes. You can compare with a real tango in youtube and it isn't the same. In the end, it's a tv series and they don't have the budget to animate lasciviously every dance scene.

giphy.gif

The OST is being pretty good, in the other hand. And the emotive scenes, like for example the Tatara's talk with Gorilla was good, and in the end that matters more than the dance.
You can feel his guiltiness because he truly enjoyed dancing, the applause, everything, which is the same act that provoked the disqualification and worsened Hyoudou's injury.

Episode 5

Not a lot to say here, it's the start of a new Arc so it's all setup. Well done setup, though. This is arc is very good, so I am hyped. New characters, Shizuku's fed up with Hyodou, the truth of Sengoku's plans, Mako being cute as hell.
The adaption from the manga was basically 1:1 in plot, script, characters, etc. Although, now we are talking of anime vs manga, actually I liked the end scene better there. The colors of the sunset, the music, it all make it more dramatic and how he read Mako felt more special.

giphy.gif

moogs

Neo Member
Maybe the show makes progress in later episodes. I can only go by what I saw. As soon as Tendou was introduced more formally I had a difficult time accepting the show; I dislike that character archetype a great deal. It's part of why I dropped Umaru so early. Maybe it's because it tends to remind me of OreImo.

I think I found the episode's pacing rather laborious because, to put it simply, not much happened. There's a lot of exposition and internal monologue for Amano. It felt like they were dragging their feet to set up the reversal-of-expectations gag at the very end (that he doesn't join the club), which was interesting, but not that rewarding on its own. Very little of the humor landed.

By all accounts it seems like the show improves, but the first episode didn't leave a good impression on me.
I see. That's a fair assessment. I dropped Himouto! Umaru-chan largely in part of that as well.

Re:Creators 16

You know, if Meteora were actually evil and secretly manipulating everyone through her long boring monologues into increasing her own power, this could be a nice twist on things.

Otherwise, they are just repeating the same shit that they have for the past few episodes, yet again, this episode for the majority of it.

i'm going to be disappointed when the she doesn't transform into her recap ep ideal self and take over the world, and i'm going to blame you for that disappointment

Heya. First time posting but...how did I only just today find out there's a new Legend of the Galactic Heroes anime by Production I.G coming out later this year? I'm reading the first book at the moment and really enjoying the world building and characters...it could be great.

I feel like such an anime lightweight otherwise >_> I've seen a bunch but I can't binge watch or binge read things to save my life. I'm reading HxH and Berserk as well, and just started watching Code Geass and Hibike Euphonium which seem like two...very, contrasting examples.

Konosuba Season 2 Episode 4

Wtf is wrong with Darkness lmao. She goes beyond a extreme masochist.

I was laughing so hard when she said she wanted to be toyed with a wicked person and seeing everyone's face was priceless.
I swear she reads too much doujins lmao.

Any normal person would be happy to be married to the Lord's son. He's literally a really good hearted person. Usually this type of situation would be a girl trying not to get married with a extremely terrible person. Lol this is the opposite.

Also Kazuma fighting Darkness was hilarious. As well Darkness pretending to be pregnant.

Edit: I really love this show especially the cast. I can definitely see why this show was a suprise.

Qurupeke

How much does it explain?

Does it have more dialogue? Episode 1 I really wanted to like.

It shows the battle of the first episode with several added lines and behind the scenes stuff, which make it a lot more understandable. Other than that, it's a dialogue scene between that reporter and the X-Guy, which moves forward her subplot, and a couple of scenes about the I-Guy's situation and background. It's considerably less confusing.

Finally wrapped up my seasonal preview yesterday. Seemed harder than it did in the Spring despite the fact I watched less this time around; eh, it was probably because I wanted to get it done before the month ended. Watched the first three episodes of all 19 shows I looked at (it was going to be 20, but then Shaft had other plans), thought I'd share my quick impressions.

• A Centaur's Life: I don't care how adorable the yuri-flavored slice-of-life moments are, the somewhat racist and fascist undertones the author insists on pushing are too off-putting.
  • Castlevania: Yes, I know it's not really anime, but that didn't stop this from being one of the best shows this season. A painful tease, I can only hope this will keep this level of quality in Season 2.
  • Classroom of the Elite: Didn't know what to expect going in, got an engaging school drama with some of the most pretentious presentation I've seen from a LN adaptation. Also, when did Lerche start making shows that looked this good?
  • DIVE!!: Went in expecting something like Free!, got something that felt a bit more old-fashioned instead. Seems like it would be an enjoyable sports drama about sacrifice. Zero-G still impresses for a new studio.
  • Fate/Apocrypha: A lot of people seem down on this show ATM, but I'm finding it enjoyable thus far. Perhaps that just means I'm beyond saving!
  • Gamers!: This is great when it's integrating gaming into its comedy, but the romance angle leaves a lot to be desired. Will probably be fun to blast through when its done.
  • Hajimete no Gal: I thought this would be trashy going in, but the level this stoops to is just gross. I wish I'd never watched this puerile garbage!
  • Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic: Who knew a Doga Kobo show could be this boring. This one really tested my attention span. Clearly all the talent went to New Game! and Umaru-chan.
  • Isekai Shokudou: This is a very pleasant zen show. Only thing I don't care for is having to compare my lunch against the food in the show when I watch it!
  • Kakegurui: This is a shockingly direct show, but I'd be lying if it isn't one of the most addicting of the season. I worry the formula will get old, though.
  • Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu: No amount of ufotable's gorgeous animation could save this from being a snooze-inducing bore. How did they go from God Eater to this?
  • Koi to Uso: Huh, well I wasn't expecting this! A smart shoujo that seems to have a lot of interesting things to say about unconventional relationships and the often messy affair that is adolescent love.
  • Made in Abyss: Coming pretty much out of nowhere, this is probably my anime of the season thus far! Gorgeous animation, an Ghibli-esque charm, and characters that are written like you'd expect children to act. A total shocker, caught me completely off guard.
  • Netsuzou Trap -NTR-: I imagine there must be an award out there we can give Creators in Pack for managing to take both yuri and netorare... and managing to make it so unbelievably dull. How do they not understand NTR doesn't work unless you care?
  • New Game!!: Season 2: A surprising amount of progression from the first season, I'm pleased with the direction this is heading. Outside of that, it's just more good-ol' New Game!
  • Princess Principal: I had my hopes up for this since I'm probably one of the only people who still believed in Studio 3Hz after Flip Flappers (which I enjoyed, flaws and all). This is better, though, with character development through action, and really varied missions thus far. Let's hope this one sticks the landing.
  • Shoukoku no Altair: While I'm delighted to see something other than Japanese or Western European history in animated form, this show struggles to find its footing due to its budget and direction. However romanticized, though, Mahmut Pasha's story is still an interesting one, if oddly told here.
  • Vatican Miracle Examiner: It's a shame this is a good mystery story, because someone decided this story would be better told if it was 1.5x faster than it should be. It does become funnier that way since the tension has no time to build, but that clashes with its presentation. It's an entertaining mess, I'll give it that.
  • Welcome to the Ballroom: I was excited for the show ever since I learned of its existence since my father was a ballroom dancer. It pains me this show is so terrible I don't think I could ever bring myself to show it to him. A piss poor representation of the sport it claims to champion, and it treats its female leads like crap, too. Such a shame.
I'm following more shows than I expected to this season, and honestly, I have higher hopes for these panning out than most of them did in the spring. Now, I just have to be patient and wait for mid-August.

I don't know what do think of The Reflection two episodes in.

I'm usually a fan of nonlinear storytelling, but I feel like I'm being given breadcrumbs to the story instead of actually seeing it.

Big fan of its style tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom