• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

FTxcHKl.jpg
And it only took 16/22 episodes. Yay?

6SEQIGR.jpg

Uh sure Akihiko Kayaba killed thousands of uh people with Sword Art Online, but we have to look at both sides. Sword Art Online is a pretty uh cool game. The haters and Fake Games Media probably didn't even make it out of The Town of uh Beginnings. Sad.

👌

---

Some folks here recommended Minami-Ke when Kiritobread brought it up and yeh, a couple episodes in that's quite the comfy comedy! Needed one of those.

What happened to the siblings' parents, though? Is that something I'll get to or are they just living alone because that's how anime do? The oldest sister mentioned how one guy looks similar to their dad, which seemingly made the youngest one look at the guy differently. But not sure if I should read much into that.

DNAbro

Boruto Episodes 3-6

I'm enjoying this quite a bit now. It's pretty lighthearted and fun so far. Still not really impressive or amazing in any way but enjoyable.

Jarmel

Banned
The secret best scene in the entire film is actually the part where Kotaro goes fetch water with his hands for Tobimaru. It is a masterclass in how subtle details in every step of a very basic and simple process adds additional layers of naturalism to the scene. He doesn't just go fetch water, but he tries to get it with his hands because he doesn't have time to find a bowl. He realizes his hands are dirty, and washes them before scooping water again. Just this small detail shows that he is actually deeply concerned that the dog gets clean water, and he adds effort to ensure that. When he's running back, he moves a little too quickly and almost slips, adding realism to the setting as he's running by the river/drain and it was likely to be wet and muddy. Even when he gets to the dog, he realizes how hard it is to feed him the water with his hands, so he uses his mouth. Insane attention to detail that shows a lot of thought going into "how can we present this scene in a meaningful way".

The other scene I always bring up is the bridge duel. Amazing use of third parties in different angles to capture the sense of place.

Tobimaru had all the best scenes. Bro was grabbing daggers out of mid-air.

Yea the bridge duel is really good just because of the body language and stances between the participants. Also kind of funny how the fisherman fishing was symbolic of the duel itself with him getting a bite and thus tension on the line. One thing though in regards to the final duel, from an animation standpoint, is that it reminded me of the Spike/Vincent fight on the train in the CB movie. Some of the camerawork and choreography was familiar, for obvious reasons of course.

Ascheroth

Re:Creators 17

That was actually pretty good. Finally we're starting the battle royale everyone has expected since... episode 1? Better late than never.
I do have the say, though, the entire setup for that battle is completely bonkers in the best way possible.
Making it a 'festival' that gets displayed in a huge arena and live-streamed everywhere, being opened by voice actors of the characters that are fighting and everything is run through some animefication filter because even if it's anime to us it's real to the people in the anime but they also know it as an anime so you have to convert our anime to anime in order for everything to check out in-universe. Genius.
Oh, and major props to Blitz Talkers' Creator, that lady has balls of steel.

Cornbread78

👌
---
What happened to the siblings' parents, though? Is that something I'll get to or are they just living alone because that's how anime do? The oldest sister mentioned how one guy looks similar to their dad, which seemingly made the youngest one look at the guy differently. But not sure if I should read much into that.

I was wondering the same thing. Nothing has been said so far through 5 eps ... That daid, the show doesn't very "plot heavy" so I'm mot sute if they will bother..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
New Highschool of the Edgy I'm SO hyped y'all.

Chase17

Welcome to the Ballroom 1-6
Finally got around to catching up on this. It's pretty good. It's a nice looking show despite some clunky dance sequences (and long necks). Biggest problem is some of the unneeded fan service scenes with Shizuku but IIRC those don't happen too much in the manga beyond this point. I think the show does a good job of building a likable cast, particularly with Tatara, Mako, and Sengoku. Shizuku is in a weird spot now where she definitely has autonomy (deciding to partner with Gaju) but at the same time is kind of a trophy for this competition. Also should mention that the soundtrack is excellent.

In general I think the manga hits its stride with this Tenpai cup arc and that looks to be the same with the anime as the last two episodes have been the best so far. The Tatara/Mako dynamic is a significantly more compelling way of showing Tatara's strengths/weaknesses and overall development rather than what is going on in the first four episodes (though they do their job of setting him up).

Was trying to think of where this season could end but have no idea what would be a good stopping point.

Tiger Mask W 33

You know it's really getting serious now that the show is letting real NJPW wrestlers get bodied.

Welcome to the Ballroom 1-6
Finally got around to catching up on this. It's pretty good. It's a nice looking show despite some clunky dance sequences (and long necks). Biggest problem is some of the unneeded fan service scenes with Shizuku but IIRC those don't happen too much in the manga beyond this point. I think the show does a good job of building a likable cast, particularly with Tatara, Mako, and Sengoku. Shizuku is in a weird spot now where she definitely has autonomy (deciding to partner with Gaju) but at the same time is kind of a trophy for this competition. Also should mention that the soundtrack is excellent.

In general I think the manga hits its stride with this Tenpai cup arc and that looks to be the same with the anime as the last two episodes have been the best so far. The Tatara/Mako dynamic is a significantly more compelling way of showing Tatara's strengths/weaknesses and overall development rather than what is going on in the first four episodes (though they do their job of setting him up).

Was trying to think of where this season could end but have no idea what would be a good stopping point.

That is good news. If I hear that those have gone away and characterization becomes better, I might be willing to go back to the anime later on.

Taruranto

#Notallgamers 4

GO HOME GAMER GIRL.

Eeeeh episode. The others characters didn't even appear.

Koi to Uso 6

Decent episode, it finally starts to feel like the series is making use of its dystopian.. ish setting instead of being just another harem with a slight different premise.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Started watching Saga of Tanya the Evil. Oh man, I can see why this made a big splash. r/atheism meets Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium? Alright, you have me interested.

What the fuck with that OP though.

Theonik

Napping Princess
I was quite enjoying the film about a third in but then the movie escalated into a what I can only describe as'what' and 'but why' looked pretty good and had some cool ideas visually which I guess to me sort of makes it OK, but like
basically they tried to play that napping theme into being a serious thing I guess they thought that the story was too grounded to work on its own and wanted to work in the visuals get the CG animation in there? Especially the ending felt really bizarre in that I can't see any reason why we'd get where we did unless she fell asleep there but even then nothing makes sense? Also the whole movie could have been avoided if people literally talked to each other? Bah.
I guess this is where we remind people that this is by the guy who did Eden of the East and Stand Alone Complex. Almost skipped watching it on that premise alone.

Napping Princess
What the hell was that????
nW2HA5N.png

Jex

Napping Princess

I was quite enjoying the film about a third in but then the movie escalated into a what I can only describe as'what' and 'but why' looked pretty good and had some cool ideas visually which I guess to me sort of makes it OK, but like
basically they tried to play that napping theme into being a serious thing I guess they thought that the story was too grounded to work on its own and wanted to work in the visuals get the CG animation in there? Especially the ending felt really bizarre in that I can't see any reason why we'd get where we did unless she fell asleep there but even then nothing makes sense? Also the whole movie could have been avoided if people literally talked to each other? Bah.
I guess this is where we remind people that this is by the guy who did Eden of the East and Stand Alone Complex. Almost skipped watching it on that premise alone.

nW2HA5N.png
Oh we were at the same screening!

trejo

Welcome to the Ballroom 6

Today in actual lines in anime that made me feel super grimy and in immediate need of a shower:

Not to mention, I don't think Shizuku even had a single speaking line in this episode thus effectively reducing her into a trophy for the new rival to lay claim to and for Tatara to literally win back.

Goddammit Welcome to the Ballroom. I love your sporadic cool dancing sakuga and your fascination with uncomfortably elongated necks but it's becoming increasingly difficult to make excuses for you.

At least the music in this episode was really great?

Cornbread78

New Game S2 ep.6
Aoba got screwed!
Man, this season is so much more drama filled than last season, which is kind of a shame. I'm still enjoying the show, but tgey are trying to hard to show the struggles Aoba faces and not just all those fun interactions with all the characters.

Tiger Mask W 34

This "Mystery Wrestler X" business is going to work in NJPW's favor when
Tiger the Dark makes his surprise appearance. I can already see Kevin's tears in the next episode preview

One of these days Japan will do a slice of life about a regular school with regular classes. No crazy hijinks just hours of people studying.

And Japanese will realize high school is boring, and move on.

duckroll

Napping Princess works for 80% of the film if you assume there are logical rules for the dream sequences and that they are mostly based on repressed memories and metaphors. But the last 20% and looking back on the entire film needs you to accept that the entire thing is magical realism with actual supernatural elements. I think it's messy but neat.

Btw did they have the ending song in this screening or was it instrumental with subbed lyrics for a nonexistent song? Lol.

Cornbread78

Sakurada Reset ep.20
Nice play Kei, way to beat it. I actually really like how he got that done within the confines of the "truth" rules that tested him fot those possible outs previously...

Sagrada Rest s2 Ep 8
Im so lost on the mom plot???
his parents didnt die or something? Why was he adopted and left in Sagrada???

He had to leave them behind when he left fot Sakurada and the Bureau alteted their memories of his existence. That scene was really well done in retrospect..

Theonik

Napping Princess works for 80% of the film if you assume there are logical rules for the dream sequences and that they are mostly based on repressed memories and metaphors. But the last 20% and looking back on the entire film needs you to accept that the entire thing is magical realism with actual supernatural elements. I think it's messy but neat.

Btw did they have the ending song in this screening or was it instrumental with subbed lyrics for a nonexistent song? Lol.
I'd agree with this but my problem is that even if you accept that it starts to get distracting and feel unnecessary. It feels like interruptions when the movie actually gathers momentum if that makes sense? It worked for the first part of the film because it felt whimsical and fit the main chara's personality. Later on it feels less so.
I would say it's less dream sequence more showing the main plot from the perspective of her father's story they are more hallucinations than dreams later in the film.

Lain

Symphogear AXZ 6

I needed this.
Great episode all around though the best part came, as usual, at the end with Hibiki
stopping bullets with her hands
Now to wait for next episode to see the consequences of that talk no jutsu failing.

duckroll

I'd agree with this but my problem is that even if you accept that it starts to get distracting and feel unnecessary. It feels like interruptions when the movie actually gathers momentum if that makes sense? It worked for the first part of the film because it felt whimsical and fit the main chara's personality. Later on it feels less so.
I would say it's less dream sequence more showing the main plot from the perspective of her father's story they are more hallucinations than dreams later in the film.

Her power is to create a fantasy scenario out of reality while she is sleeping, and it sucks everyone around it in. To them they are hallucinations, but they are in her dream.

-Minsc-

Heh, the answer to that is also in the series!
Light spoilers I suppose, but
yes, it will be a future plot point.

I am not at all surprised.

I await to see what the anime masters can do with "Watching Paint Dry: The Animation". There is no doubt they'll find a way to turn it into the most intense thing ever.

Feels weird to think we're halfway through the season already. It feels like it's been going by faster than spring for some reason, maybe because I'm not dreading watching a bunch of shows that had already gone downhill by this point like I was last season.

In preparation for next season, I've been watching Kekkai Sensen (aka Blood Blockade Battlefront). After finishing the first half, I find it's... well, it's very pretty. I think I'm being unfair, I do like it an awful lot, but I think that has more to do with the world it creates through its visuals, music, and humor more than any inherent quality of the writing or pacing, both of which feel weirdly off sans
the burger episode
. That one really feels like it's perfectly captured the kind of tone this world and these characters lend themselves to; it was very film noir and reminded me of a lot of classic movies about New York. Still, I've enjoyed it so far and look forward to watching the rest by the end of the week. I know it has an anime-original ending, but considering I'm not in love with the source material outside of the setting, I'm game to see what they came up with.

Class of the Edgelete 6

LMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO THERE WAS
AN EXPERIMENT WITH KIDS
THAT'S HIS FUCKING ORIGIN STORY AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

This fucking show. Why does the writer want to pretend this isn't fucking trash, and try to make it all dark and moody. Please stop.

But don't really, it's enjoyable how much you think this will elevate the material.

DiGiKerot

There was a vocal track playing over the end credits, if that's what you mean. Something odd about the version you saw?

Salamande

Aho-Girl, Episode 7 -

Fucking Yoshiko man. I feel like I get dumber by the minute watching this series, but I'm still enjoying it lol.

People were joking about it before, but it's true: as insightful as she can be, she would literally just die if people weren't around to save her from herself.

I love this ridiculous show so much.

duckroll

There was a vocal track playing over the end credits, if that's what you mean. Something odd about the version you saw?

The song is a Japanese cover of Daydream Believer and I assume they failed to clear the licensing for SEA or something, because we got an instrumental piece yet the "song" was still subtitled in English. It was pretty funny!

Feels weird to think we're halfway through the season already. It feels like it's been going by faster than spring for some reason, maybe because I'm not dreading watching a bunch of shows that had already gone downhill by this point like I was last season.

In preparation for next season, I've been watching Kekkai Sensen (aka Blood Blockade Battlefront). After finishing the first half, I find it's... well, it's very pretty. I think I'm being unfair, I do like it an awful lot, but I think that has more to do with the world it creates through its visuals, music, and humor more than any inherent quality of the writing or pacing, both of which feel weirdly off sans
the burger episode
. That one really feels like it's perfectly captured the kind of tone this world and these characters lend themselves to; it was very film noir and reminded me of a lot of classic movies about New York. Still, I've enjoyed it so far and look forward to watching the rest by the end of the week. I know it has an anime-original ending, but considering I'm not in love with the source material outside of the setting, I'm game to see what they came up with.

The series is really episodic which is why some are off put by it.

Never understood why people find episodic stories off-putting. I find it a really interesting format of storytelling.

Theonik

Her power is to create a fantasy scenario out of reality while she is sleeping, and it sucks everyone around it in. To them they are hallucinations, but they are in her dream.
They never really expand on whether she has powers. That would be inconsistent with how the movie flows especially the ending where she ends up physically in a different point from where she was in the dream sequence i.e. her dreams are just that dreams or her interpretation of what is happening around her and not her manipulating reality. We can see this earlier with how they were clearly taken there by the bike and there was no dream intervention involved. The closest to the mechanics of the dreams would be some shared hallucination but even that doesn't seem accurate.

New Game S2 ep.6

Aoba got screwed!
Man, this season is so much more drama filled than last season, which is kind of a shame. I'm still enjoying the show, but tgey are trying to hard to show the struggles Aoba faces and not just all those fun interactions with all the characters.

This is the result of adapting a 4koma and trying to fill in the blanks.

Hamst3r

Casshern '73 - Finished - If you're into Casshern and you've been thinking about watching this one, you can skip the first 24 episodes. Or maybe the whole show. The final 11 episodes are an improvement, but it's ultimately pretty one-note. I think it's interesting as a comparison to the later adaptations of Casshern though. Casshern '73 is a hero show with a tinge of tragedy that veeeery slowly turns into something more like The Unraveling of Casshern, as he struggles to save people who don't trust him or appreciate his help, and in some cases people who are worse than the robots. But unfortunately the series ends before it can really explore any of this. Casshern never truly falls apart. He never loses hope.

All of the later adaptations are darker, portraying a generally more broken Casshern, with Casshern Sins taking this the furthest. I think I prefer that approach to Casshern, but ultimately I don't really enjoy Casshern - the character or the series - all that much. I think it's an alright series with some great ideas for action scenes. A dude who can cut a robot in half with a karate chop? Awesome. A dog that can breathe fire and transform into a jet? Also awesome.

Gatchaman '72 - 03 - I am finding this highly-watchable. It's fun. Will Joe ever get the OK from Ken to fire bird missiles? I guess I gotta keep watching to find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom