• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

They never really expand on whether she has powers. That would be inconsistent with how the movie flows especially the ending where she ends up physically in a different point from where she was in the dream sequence i.e. her dreams are just that dreams or her interpretation of what is happening around her and not her manipulating reality. We can see this earlier with how they were clearly taken there by the bike and there was no dream intervention involved. The closest to the mechanics of the dreams would be some shared hallucination but even that doesn't seem accurate.

She absolutely does. This is not something I feel the film had to expand on, because that's part of what makes magic magic in relation to the real world, but maybe it should have because everyone I watched it with was really confused and didn't see to get it either. I felt that by the end of the film it was very clear that she has real powers that she wasn't aware of, and that her mother had the same powers. She inherited the powers from her mother and the protection her mother left her wasn't just the AI code robot thing, but also real magic. When she realized that she wasn't the main character in her dreams, what she was really seeing was her mother's life from her mother's point of view, just like how her own fantasy world is different from reality based on how she sees things.

When she naps and dreams, she distorts the reality around her into a dream world which pulls everyone who is physically there into it, when she wakes up, the physical changes remain, but are often explained away earlier in the film with things which could just be coincidences or whatever, but they aren't. The way the power works doesn't "make sense" because it doesn't have to. It's completely magic. I think the narrative confuses people because there are enough scifi elements in it for people to try approaching this from a perspective where everything in the dreams have a real world analogue that "explains" how it happened, but it doesn't always.

I would say one extreme comparison with how the logic flows is Adolescence of Utena. Everything in that film is a metaphor for something else, but at the same time, it's all also "real" but doesn't make sense because it doesn't have to. But Utena is less confusing because it doesn't pretend to take place in the real world so people don't approach it from that direction.

Theonik

I think the primary point of confusion is that the movie puts in active effort to bind that aspect into its scifi elements. and to explain away such a thing. Narratives have the advantage that if you want people to view something in a certain way you can portray them as such, if those were meant to be co-incidences there would be no need to immediately to make them explicit and to draw attention of that fact. If that were the case then that would simply be a failed attempt at misdirection which is also bad.

Cornbread78

Ai Yori Aoshi ep.19-21
zf0HpEV.png
Nice episodes following this crew as well as the continual growth of Kaoru and Aoi's relationship. Looks like trouble on the horizon though...

People were joking about it before, but it's true: as insightful as she can be, she would literally just die if people weren't around to save her from herself.

I love this ridiculous show so much.

It's like, I shouldn't be surprised anymore but she still somehow finds a way to top her stupidity.

Defuser

The hatred for SAO is insane on here. I'm sure I'm not winning many friends for saying that lol.
Is fine to say you like SAO. You like it we can respect that. People in animegaf will still watch and enjoy SAO for what it is,a guilty pleasure.

But when people say like it's the best anime of the century ever like it's a gospel along with AoT, Code Geass when there are other shows that does better in some other aspects thats when the line is crossed and hatred comes out.

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series - 73
Vultures confirmed for best villains.

DBZ Abridged - 59
"All we need is a little Green."
*Pops out joint*

I lost it right there.

Lain

Hina Logi 1-3

What is exactly the point of this show? I can understand and like cute girls doing cute things, I love K-ON! but I miss the point of a show with supernatural powers, transformation sequences, all just to have the girls do cute things or mock battles that end off-screen so the girls can keep doing cute things.

Classroom of the elite 1

I didn't like this first episode much. Atmosphere, general stupidity of the students, personalities on display. Nothing really grabbed me. Yet I'm a bit curious in seeing what these poor souls are gonna do now.

Is fine to say you like SAO. You like it we can respect that. People in animegaf will still watch and enjoy SAO for what it is,a guilty pleasure.

But when people say like it's the best anime of the century ever like it's a gospel along with AoT, Code Geass when there are other shows that does better in some other aspects thats when the line is crossed and hatred comes out.

I can understand SAO and AOT, but man after continuing watching Code Geass I can't blame people for thinking its amazing.

Its one of a kind. One of the most enjoyable anime Sunrise has made.

Plus it has a incredible opening. Jibun Woo!

Edit: Its such a memorable opening even till this day lol.

Haha sorry man. I'm a huge one piece and gintama fan but I'm too busy to keep up with them atm. I also like darker shows.
Going by one piece and Gintama I assume you like Shonen styled action with a bit of a lighter tone to it.

I'll refrain from recommending One Punch Man as it's guaranteed you've watched it already.

But try Mob Psycho 100.

As for darker shows, I'll recommend Fate Zero. Also if you like you can watch either the Berserk TV show or the 3 films that came out recently. They both tell the first arc of the Manga. And if that catches your eye, considering reading the manga.

Of course I'll also recommend hunter x hunter which is light hearted at first with a darkness to it and gets a bit darker as you go on.

Cornbread78

Just got back in the anime game after 2 years. 1. what should I watch? Nothing to weeby please lol 2. how was AoT season 2 perceived here?
Haha sorry man. I'm a huge one piece and gintama fan but I'm too busy to keep up with them atm. I also like darker shows.

Ok, define "weeby" for me...

Re;Zero
Konosuba
Mob Psycho
Blue Exorcist S2
91 Days
Twin Star Exorcist
Drifters

I'll think of more in a min.

DNAbro

Boruto up to Episode 14

Awww yeah the return of a major Naruto mainstay, 'Friendship no jutsu'. I enjoyed this arc.

Also I do love how Naruto is a bad dad. Something about that was funny to me in the movie, still funny here.

*nods approvingly

Try Mob Psycho 100, Shinsekai Yori, or Re:Zero.

Going by one piece and Gintama I assume you like Shonen styled action with a bit of a lighter tone to it.

I'll refrain from recommending One Punch Man as it's guaranteed you've watched it already.

But try Mob Psycho 100.

As for darker shows, I'll recommend Fate Zero. Also if you like you can watch either the Berserk TV show or the 3 films that came out recently. They both tell the first arc of the Manga. And if that catches your eye, considering reading the manga.

Of course I'll also recommend hunter x hunter which is light hearted at first with a darkness to it and gets a bit darker as you go on.

Ok, define "weeby" for me...

Re;Zero
Konosuba
Mob Psycho
Blue Exorcist S2
91 Days
Twin Star Exorcist
Drifters

I'll think of more in a min.

Thank you my friends. I'll start making a list.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Classroom of the Elite 6

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

trejo

If you like Gintama check out Daily Lives of High School Boys and Sket Dance. The former is almost as consistently hilarious as the best Gintama episodes while the latter is like an inferior Gintama with a few standout episodes and even has a crossover episode between the two.

Erheller

Tsurezure Children 1-7

Wow, I'm impressed. Witty dialogue, a fantastic cast, and great comedic timing make this show a joy to watch. A ray of hope in this wasteland of a season.

Psycho-Pass 1-5

Identifying Urobuchi

Yep, that's Urobuchi

EDIT: Made In Abyss - 06

This show continues to be one of the most original anime series I've seen in years. Games should take serious inspiration from this setting.

EDIT: Mistyped.

And why the hell would deep connections with A-1
/10
get me later episodes from Kinema Citrus' anime?

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 08-11

Ranko's image clashes with her timid and sweet nature, and the listless one isn't quite so useless after all. These episodes were rather weak entries in the series; they featured stories too commonplace and trite. Some imagery was rather lazy as well. Essentially, the characters featured were pigeonholed into overly safe scenarios.

How perceptive Miku can be has surprised me on a number of occasions. She's an odd mix of mature sensibilities with immature stubbornness. There is a peculiarly disciplined side to her, which often warps into hysteria. Getting flustered easily when others don't follow suit, she operates heavily on her own set of principles and practices. Still, she has shown a relatively remarkable ability to recognize and acknowledge external perspectives. As a result, she often reflects on and corrects her own conduct. A lack of sophistication to her theme and a quick temper are what holds her back. Also, all her olive branch attempts backfiring was amusing.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Rin; 3. Miku▲; 4. Anastasia▲; 5. Mika▼; 6. Ranko▲; 7. Kirari; 8. Minami▲; 9. Anzu▲; 10. Rika▲; 11. Mio▲; 12. Riina▼; 13. Miria▼; 14. Chieri▼▼; 15. Kanako

Haly

The real question is how is he on Episode 8 already?

Lain

Classroom of the Elite 2-6

Show grew on me, mostly thanks to Ayanokoji. BS factor is all over the place but hey, at least it became fun to watch.

Haly

Classroom of the Elite 2-6

Show grew on me, mostly thanks to Ayanokoji. BS factor is all over the place but hey, at least it became fun to watch.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Ayanokoji is some unholy chimera of Onii-sama, L and Oreki.

Horny Children 2
XWDk8j9.jpg

This anime is bueno.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Horny Children

This is the name of a show?
meaLvW9.png

How perceptive Miku can be has surprised me on a number of occasions. She's an odd mix of mature sensibilities with immature stubbornness. There is a peculiarly disciplined side to her, which often warps into hysteria. Getting flustered easily when others don't follow suit, she operates heavily on her own set of principles and practices. Still, she has shown a relatively remarkable ability to recognize and acknowledge external perspectives. As a result, she often reflects on and corrects her own conduct. A lack of sophistication to her theme and a quick temper are what holds her back. Also, all her olive branch attempts backfiring was amusing.

Rankings: 3. Miku▲
Ah good. Someone else realising why Miku is one of the better, more interesting characters in the show, which is mostly filled with a one note cast.

Welcome to the Ballroom 6

Today in actual lines in anime that made me feel super grimy and in immediate need of a shower:

Not to mention, I don't think Shizuku even had a single speaking line in this episode thus effectively reducing her into a trophy for the new rival to lay claim to and for Tatara to literally win back.

Goddammit Welcome to the Ballroom. I love your sporadic cool dancing sakuga and your fascination with uncomfortably elongated necks but it's becoming increasingly difficult to make excuses for you.

At least the music in this episode was really great?

Oh noes, a teenager boy finds attractive a teenager girl. Totally creepy and unrealistic.

And Tatara, more than trying to win Shizuku back, at this point it's trying to help Mako.

trejo

Oh noes, a teenager boy finds attractive a teenager girl. Totally creepy and unrealistic.

And Tatara, more than trying to win Shizuku back, at this point it's trying to help Mako.
I lay the blame for that line entirely at the writer's feet. Think about it. If you're a teenage boy lusting after someone your own age would you really think "this girl is hot for someone who's somewhere in the ballpark of my own age!" or would you simply think "this girl is hot!". There is no need whatsoever to insert a line there making a very specific remark about her age and it feels completely unnatural and off-putting as dialogue that a character would actually have, internal or external.

As for Tatara, he very specifically comments to Mako during their phone call that he intends to win Shizuku back from whatshisface because he thinks she belongs together with Hyodo. We didn't even hear a single peep from her during the entire episode even as the two dudes were literally butting heads over her! Sure would be nice to know what she, as a character, was thinking of this whole situation instead of serving as an accessory for showing off the new guy's dance moves.

Haly

First episode is a bunch of confessions in a row, they're horny.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I am still waiting for the Idolmaster ML anime announcements.

Why does God punish us with Korean drama and side M?
It's called the movie.

Enjoy.

That's Tsuredure, I'm guessing. I was confused as what haly was talking about too.

Well, with Japan you can never tell.

Oh dear. I'm sounding like an OTer.

Difference is, I didn't decide to also insult 78% of the GAF userbase alongside my comments.

blurr

Ranko's image clashes with her timid and sweet nature, and the listless one isn't quite so useless after all. These episodes were rather weak entries in the series; they featured stories too commonplace and trite. Some imagery was rather lazy as well. Essentially, the characters featured were pigeonholed into overly safe scenarios.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Rin; 3. Miku▲; 4. Anastasia▲; 5. Mika▼; 6. Ranko▲; 7. Kirari; 8. Minami▲; 9. Anzu▲; 10. Rika▲; 11. Mio▲; 12. Riina▼; 13. Miria▼; 14. Chieri▼▼; 15. Kanako

Miku is kind of an annoying character for me but yes, she has her moments.

I lay the blame for that line entirely at the writer's feet. Think about it. If you're a teenage boy lusting after someone your own age would you really think "this girl is hot for someone who's somewhere in the ballpark of my own age!" or would you simply think "this girl is hot!". There is no need whatsoever to insert a line there making a very specific remark about her age and it feels completely unnatural and off-putting as dialogue that a character would actually have, internal or external.

As for Tatara, he very specifically comments to Mako during their phone call that he intends to win Shizuku back from whatshisface because he thinks she belongs together with Hyodo. We didn't even hear a single peep from her during the entire episode even as the two dudes were literally butting heads over her! Sure would be nice to know what she, as a character, was thinking of this whole situation instead of serving as an accessory for showing off the new guy's dance moves.

Mmm you are right, the 15-year old comment is extraneous.

About Shizuku, I think they aren't giving her lines in a conscious manner. She was sulking because Hyodou at first, she was in silent mode because of that, and while accepted dancing with Gaju, I feel she is doing it in a professional manner, just exercising the dance movements, and ignoring Gaju's silliness and avoiding the Gaju-Tatara-Mako clusterfuck. Though it would be interesting to know what's her opinion on it, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom