• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astolfo is pretty because his legend says he was handsome.

And we know how accurate Fate is.

Patrician taste. The Ruri bullying straddles the line for me between hilarious and upsetting, honestly.

I will admit though that I got into Gamers! purely on the promise of Tendou being absolutely destroyed. It delivered at first but I feel like it's been downplaying that aspect of late in favour of the insane love polygon. That's enjoyable enough but I hope they focus more on Tendou going completely off the rails sooner rather than later.

It is just natural to want to see the pure corrupted bullied.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
GAMERS! 06

...That ending tho

That endcard tho

EDIT: Also, the QUALITY reaching new and exciting heights this ep. That external shot of Aguri and Amano in the cafe, when the tiny, tiny children walked past I genuinely laughed out loud.

Bad example my dude, One Piece has 6 minutes of recap at the start of every episode introducing Luffy as the wannabe Pirate King with the rubber fruit

That was a genuine question, actually. But you bring up a good point: long-running daytime battle shounen adaptations do tend to assume that their viewers are idiots. Even though My Hero Academia isn't long-running, it operates according to similar principles.

Ross61

Im shocked manga readers and manga fans dont remember the characters names even those reading from day 1. Like people still dont know Kaminari, or get Kirishima confused, or remember who Monoma is. Very very sad.
To be fair, I'm just not good with names in general. If you showed me a picture of the characters you just named I might be able to name them. But if you told me there name and showed no picture I'd know who you were talking about.

That was a genuine question, actually. But you bring up a good point: long-running daytime battle shounen adaptations do tend to assume that their viewers are idiots. Even though My Hero Academia isn't long-running, it operates according to similar principles.

Naruto has never constantly reminded us of character names or given us long recap like toei loves to do, not even in transition to boruto. Toei did do the random MHA naming in World Trigger, though probably cause the writer did that in the manga anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Best idiots:
YIpGkgb.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria met its goal in a few days... I'm kind of amazed. I think it's probably dub fans who will just fund anything with a dub, but I'm okay with that. lol

I don't think One Piece thinks the viewers are idiots. They just have to take up as much time as they can, whether that be 3 minute long OPs, multiple intros describing each crew member (NINE OF THEM) and their goals and then a recap of previous stuff at the beginning or pouncing on any opportunity for a extended flashback - like last episode where Zeff being brought up had a minutes long Sanji flashback recapping the Baratie arc. To be fair, that's over a decade ago but they go really, really far with it when they got the opportunity.

Oda puts out about 3 chapters a month at his current rate so they gotta make it last. Hell they still do filler.

tuffy

Aria met its goal in a few days... I'm kind of amazed. I think it's probably dub fans who will just fund anything with a dub, but I'm okay with that. lol
If that were the case, Skip Beat!'s Kickstarter would've been funded a lot sooner instead of squeaking past the finish line with a few days to spare. I'd guess that since an established company like Nozomi is running the campaign for a show a lot of people have enjoyed, it's a low risk for backers.

blurr

New Game S2 06

Christ, that was good but post credits scene felt a tad anti-climatic. I've no doubt liked Aoba's design better. Although it was made clear that the outcome would not change despite her attempt it was still worth while both for her and me as a viewer.

Made in Abyss 1

Very intrigued by this world and characters. Definitely excited to see more.

Also the music is absolutely incredible and fits the tone of the show very well.

And thank you for no CG monsters. That is something we don't need more of. Just awesome 2D animation. :)

LMAO

*cries for Yunyun*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If that were the case, Skip Beat!'s Kickstarter would've been funded a lot sooner instead of squeaking past the finish line with a few days to spare. I'd guess that since an established company like Nozomi is running the campaign for a show a lot of people have enjoyed, it's a low risk for backers.
Maybe. It's just weird because I assumed there were only like five Aria fans outside of Japan. lol

First stretch goal is 5.1 audio... which I guess is more of a gimme than anything else.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam MS 08th Team- Rewatch
I finally decided to sit down and write this up. Let's get this out of the way, the show isn't as good as I remembered it to be. In fact, it's not even close to being as good as I remember. Now I don't think that necessarily has to do with nostalgia or anything of that nature but rather my tastes have changed and I've seen a lot more anime since when I initially watched this as a kid. Despite its flaws, and oh boy it has them, I understand completely why I gobbled this up when I was a brat. Now I recall this being a gritty war drama coupled with a great romance. Nah~
Let's first talk about the romance. Oh my god. The romance angle is straight trash. Shiro upon meeting a female enemy pilot for the second time and spending less than 24 hours total with her (maybe not even 12 hours) confesses and says he loves her. The fuck? There's no screentime to justify this and so it comes off as insane which hurts subsequent events as I'm supposed to buy that Shiro is completely in love with Aina despite it coming off more as a plot point than anything organic. They don't even communicate in the episodes since their initial meeting. Just verbal diarrhea of the love kind. This somehow makes the romance in Stardust Memory look riveting, deep, and natural in comparison. That's a show where the heroine shoots at the main character and leaves him for his rival. Shiro keeps going on and on about Aina and I'm blankly staring at the screen. I might have understood if he fell in love with her or was in the process of falling in love with her after the events of episode 7 with them being on the snowy mountainside for a night. Nah, this twit confesses at the very beginning. Eledore and Karen was developed more and that shit was tacked on near the end.
The other front I remember this show being good at was that it was a grounded and down-to-earth Gundam show complete with tactics. The action definitely is grounded as it's not as exotic as Stardust Memory or CCA. There's more emphasis on physics and the limitations in different terrains. In addition there's very little power creep that inevitably plagues most Gundam series such as beam weapons which are still pretty rare, even at the end of the series. However it is lacking on the tactics side early on and comes up wanting in comparison to something like War in the Pocket. Shirou doesn't really act like a squad leader in combat or preparation outside a few instances. This tone does shift a bit near the end such as the desert ambush in episode 6, the Zeon village fight in 8, and the Gouf Custom fight. However it's still not to the caliber I would like it to be.
WIcqbJN.jpg

This cardboard box has more personality and backstory than the characters.
The characters were the biggest disappointment. The early episodes waste an episode per character and the verb waste is the correct connotation. Terry has an episode where he has to get over his fear of losing his teammates. Instead of fleshing out his personality in some meaningful way, the team gets through a hard mission and that's that. Episode 6's focus on Michel comes off as irritating considering he almost gets the team killed due to his flights of fancy about his long distance girlfriend. Episode 5's focus on Eledore doesn't delve into his fear of cockpits (maybe it's explained in some audio drama or something) despite bringing it up in the climax. Only Shiro, Aina, and Kiki develop as actual characters.
Then there's him. The fuck? They didn't explain jackshit about his character. Why is Ginias so desperate to finish off the Apsalus? Why? Why? Why? He's killing off his own comrades for pretty much no reason and is desperate enough to kill off his friend, despite said friend being logical. He's such an awful villain as his goal isn't fleshed out and he's underdeveloped as a character. Ginias also has this weird relationship with his sister that is never properly established.
The highlight of the show was obviously episode 10 with the Gouf Custom fight. Besides the mechanical animation being great, the episode is also extremely well directed. The main battle is well staged with an emphasis on distance and cover since Norris is outnumbered. It's also nice to see a fight where the enemy has a goal besides just killing the opposing pilots. It gives the proceedings a sense of realism. I love how the characters treat the fight as just another typical skirmish initially and then it quickly shifts to something out of a horror movie. There's a moment where Shirou's Gundam is disabled and he's by himself in the shadows and he's scared shitless.
However episode 10 isn't the peak of the show visually. That title belongs to episode 6 which is often overlooked in discussions of the show. It's one of those cases where you can instantly tell a different team worked on this episode. The character art, layouts, storyboarding, and animation are all topnotch.This was the first episode that Umanosuke Iida handled after Takeyuki Kanda's death. It had a really long production period compared to the other episodes so that might have something to do with the quality as well. However I think the staff themselves were a bigger reason for the spike. The Stardust Memory Chief ADs, Toshihiro Kawamoto and Hirotoshi Sano, worked on it along with a bunch of high level animators such as Ken Ootsuka and Akitoshi Yokoyama. Anyway the result is a really striking episode that is half melancholic and half gorgeous fighting.
I wasn't really impressed with the animation quality coming off Stardust Memory as neither the character models or mechs were as sharp. I didn't really think of Stardust Memory as being that visually succulent when watching it but I can see now the differences in production quality when looking at the Kawamoto designs in both series. 08th MS Team's character art looks closer to what I might have expected from a TV series besides a few moments. Auditorily I don't think this is Kohei Tanaka's best work however there's a few great tracks. I really liked Chihiro Yonekura's theme songs, it definitely reminds me of some J-Pop stuff in the early 90's and 80's.
In conclusion, it's not a bad show despite my initial feelings when rewatching. I don't think it's a particularly good one either but then again that's in extremely short supply in the Gundam franchise. The second half of the show is stronger as it focuses less on the characters and more on the setting. I was pretty surprised though by episode 6 as I wasn't expecting that jump in quality.

P.S. Thank you god for Kawamoto.

Aside from the Gouf fight (the mecha GOAT aside from End of Evangelion) the episode in the desert makes it worth it just because of how they use Mobile Suits like tanks and not like battlefield gods that appear and lay waste. That's what I liked about 08th MS Team.

Aside from the Gouf fight (the mecha GOAT aside from End of Evangelion) the episode in the desert makes it worth it just because of how they use Mobile Suits like tanks and not like battlefield gods that appear and lay waste. That's what I liked about 08th MS Team.

As undercooked as most of the characters were, I still kind of found Shirou to be a breath a fresh air compared to quite a few of the other UC protagonists.

Jarmel

Banned

Episodes 6, 8, 10, and 12 were all pretty great. 6 because of the planning for the ambush and positioning of the units along with the physical issues that comes with being in the desert. 8 for the emotional effect that war can have on people and how it can drive individuals to do illogical things. 10 because of the Gouf Custom fight. 12 just as a way of demonstrating the after effects of a war along with the contemplative mood.

Princess Principal 5

Yeah, that was pretty fun. The train setting made for a fun action scenario. I feel like this should have come before episode 4 though.
The revelation in episode 4 that Chise is acting as a spy for the Japanese government would have more impact after the events of this episode, which give no indication of that.

I don't think One Piece thinks the viewers are idiots. They just have to take up as much time as they can, whether that be 3 minute long OPs, multiple intros describing each crew member (NINE OF THEM) and their goals and then a recap of previous stuff at the beginning or pouncing on any opportunity for a extended flashback - like last episode where Zeff being brought up had a minutes long Sanji flashback recapping the Baratie arc. To be fair, that's over a decade ago but they go really, really far with it when they got the opportunity.

Oda puts out about 3 chapters a month at his current rate so they gotta make it last. Hell they still do filler.

Sure, the anime is clearly stalling for time so it never has to go off the air. The side-effect of the way they go about that, by stuffing every episode with recaps and flashbacks, etc., is what makes the show feel like it's treating its viewers like idiots.

phaze

Is the Zone of the Enders anime series any good?

Depends on what you're expecting LOL.

Wait, there's a ZoE anime ? Oo I guess I can finally start getting acquainted with the franchise !
Zaregoto 1

I wanted more Monogatari, this satisfies me. An entire island with only a few people and the majority of them being women whose purpose is to harass the main character. Nisioooooo

Right a best.

Naruto has never constantly reminded us of character names or given us long recap like toei loves to do, not even in transition to boruto. Toei did do the random MHA naming in World Trigger, though probably cause the writer did that in the manga anyway.

I dunno what Naruto you watched but I want some of it.

Jex

[... stuff and thangs]

All this makes me increasingly convinced that there's very little 'good' Gundam that one can honestly recommend to a non-mecha, non-anime, viewer. It's a wildly inconsistent franchise.

(Zeta is trash. Sorry).

All this makes me increasingly convinced that there's very little 'good' Gundam that one can honestly recommend to a non-mecha, non-anime, viewer. It's a wildly inconsistent franchise.

(Zeta is trash. Sorry).

War in the Pocket and Gundam the Origin are the two Gundam things I've seen that I feel I can recommend to that kind of viewer.

Zeta Gundam has some of the most vile, mysoginistic treatment of women characters I've ever seen in any anime ever.

Some of the shit that's there is so damn insulting.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Tonton

Zeta Gundam has some of the most vile, mysoginistic treatment of women characters I've ever seen in any anime ever.

Some of the shit that's there is so damn insulting.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
Considering how high anime has set the bar for this, I can't imagine what would prompt you saying that

Considering how high anime has set the bar for this, I can't imagine what would prompt you saying that

The way Yoshiyuki Tomino creates female characters is a special kind of awful.

He makes most generic LN harem anime women look well-written.

I like it! There's nothing like kids hijacking Gundams than with ORANGES! :D

I also enjoy how Judau is a total noob and screws up royally when he tries to pilot the Zeta for the first time.

The way Yoshiyuki Tomino creates female characters is a special kind of awful.

He makes most generic LN harem anime women look well-written.

I like it! There's nothing like kids hijacking Gundams than with ORANGES! :D

I also enjoy how Judau is a total noob and screws up royally when he tries to pilot the Zeta for the first time.

Yeah but the comedic shannigans probably won't save it in the end for you. Certain sections of ZZ make Zeta look like a masterpiece by comparison.

Edit: Oh and just for shits and giggles, here's my best to worst list of Gundam based on where I am in my full 'watch by release' marathon I've been at. Anything Turn A and after isn't on it since I haven't finished Turn A yet. I have seen later stuff in the franchise but I'm kinda waiting to include it after I've rewatched it. I'd love to see where others would rank everything they've seen.

Best:
Gundam 0083
Gundam 0080
Gundam (Movie Trilogy)
Gundam 8th MS Team
After War Gundam X
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Wing EW
G Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Gundam F91
Gundam Wing
ZZ Gundam
Victory Gundam
Worst:

phaze

Detroit Metal City 01

Being an artist is suffering. Time to finish my Nagahama quest or at least pretend to since Reflection wasn't my cup of tea and I probably won't be back for that. Nothing outstanding yet but the premise, chara design and the more grounded nature of the setting are a +. Dunno about the crassness and the seeming repetitiveness of the humor.

dickroach

Edit: Oh and just for shits and giggles, here's my best to worst list of Gundam based on where I am in my full 'watch by release' marathon I've been at. Anything Turn A and after isn't on it since I haven't finished Turn A yet. I have seen later stuff in the franchise but I'm kinda waiting to include it after I've rewatched it. I'd love to see where others would rank everything they've seen.

Best:
Gundam 0083
Gundam 0080
Gundam (Movie Trilogy)
Gundam 8th MS Team
After War Gundam X
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Wing EW
G Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Gundam F91
Gundam Wing
ZZ Gundam
Victory Gundam
Worst:

huh, so Wing is bad. I've never watched a Gundam show before, started Wing last week, am 8 episodes in now. I dunno if it's badly written, or just a bad translation, but the dialogue is just awful. in the sub and dub. I like the characters though, and I'm in deep enough at this point that I'm interested to see where the story goes.

DNAbro

Dive!! Episode 7

Okitsu is the only remotely compelling character at this point. Still wondering if they are going to develop the thought of "throwing away your friends and social life is good actually" with the other characters.

huh, so Wing is bad. I've never watched a Gundam show before, started Wing last week, am 8 episodes in now. I dunno if it's badly written, or just a bad translation, but the dialogue is just awful. in the sub and dub. I like the characters though, and I'm in deep enough at this point that I'm interested to see where the story goes.

Well I think it's bad. I know tons of people who think it's actually really good. I also know some like it, sort of, ironically, or at least recognize like you have that it's not great.

I first rewatched it, like, six or seven years ago. I'd nabbed up the older DVD release and was super excited to rewatch it since I hadn't laid eyes on it since I'd first seen it on toonami during its original airing. I'd owned 2 VHS tapes of it, and the EW DVD, but I'd never rewatched the whole series.

Man was I in for a shock of disappointment. I went from loving it to finding it to be one of the worst Gundams.

Cornbread78

Gamers ep.6
That whole build up to the final scene was so freakin annoying, lol. How mmmaannnyy moreee MISUNDERSTANDINGS can you get... that chart slayed me...

However, that pay-off, woah boy, it's gonna be crazy next week!

Taruranto

Dive 6

BETRAYAL. Also two weeks, my dude? Good thing you didn't even like her!

This was good? Characters have a direction and there is actual characters writing, which it's something I always appreciate in stories and a lot of anime seem to forget.

What's up with this scene, though? Why was everyone overreacting? Is the other coach a spy? What???

Let's first talk about the romance. Oh my god. The romance angle is straight trash. Shiro upon meeting a female enemy pilot for the second time and spending less than 24 hours total with her (maybe not even 12 hours) confesses and says he loves her. The fuck? There's no screentime to justify this and so it comes off as insane which hurts subsequent events as I'm supposed to buy that Shiro is completely in love with Aina despite it coming off more as a plot point than anything organic. They don't even communicate in the episodes since their initial meeting. Just verbal diarrhea of the love kind. This somehow makes the romance in Stardust Memory look riveting, deep, and natural in comparison. That's a show where the heroine shoots at the main character and leaves him for his rival. Shiro keeps going on and on about Aina and I'm blankly staring at the screen. I might have understood if he fell in love with her or was in the process of falling in love with her after the events of episode 7 with them being on the snowy mountainside for a night. Nah, this twit confesses at the very beginning. Eledore and Karen was developed more and that shit was tacked on near the end.

I feel so validated right now. The romance fucking ruined this series for me because I just couldn't fucking believe it. Dude straight up decided he was gonna kinda throw it all away for enemy soldier chick he knew for like 10 seconds. Because I just couldn't jive with that it made me unable to take any of his actions related to her seriously after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom