• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
The Wreckening of Altair-
FagqFf3.png
41XIbeq.png
good animu

Symphogear AXZ ep 10

shit is getting real
KIRIKA NOOOOOOOOO ;.;, dont you dare die you fucking goofball, you havent even got to do that cool combo attack with bikki shown in the opening ;.;

Sciel

Fate/Aporcrypha 11

The show still looks good in places and shit in other scenes. Its a bit baffling how the quality in more important scenes get shafted for some less important ones (i.e: the short scene with Flore looked very high quality, while the
continuation of the Mordred/Not!Siegfried fight was utterly shit
).

UberTag

Man, the last thing I expected to find popping into this thread casually (which I do like half a dozen times a year) were people marathoning Princess Nine. I loved that show back in the day.

I did expect to see the Made in Abyss 10 reactions, though. Those were fun.

Jarmel

Banned
Welcome to the Ballroom-10

This was a really bad episode. Direction and music near the end was terrible. Also this arc is way too long.

Busaiku

I really hate the main harem of Gamers.
All of them are so lame.

I watch for Tasuku and Aguri though, so that last episode was the worst one yet.

Narag

Sekai no Yami Zukan 13 FIN

it turns out physical and emotional abuse is the real evil. and also that tree that eats your body but saves our soul.

Show wasn't bad but it seemed like it wanted to be a complement to Yamishibai. in E.C. comics terms, that was like Tales from the Crypt while this show was closer to Weird Science or Weird Fantasy, especially with its western focus. I like 80-90% of the eps were set outside of Japan and portrayed westerners as the protags instead.

ニメ新作エピソード制作決定PV

Rem literally just says OVA.

I can't watch anime with the volume on. The neighbors might hear.

Sekai no Yami Zukan 13 FIN

it turns out physical and emotional abuse is the real evil. and also that tree that eats your body but saves our soul.

Show wasn't bad but it seemed like it wanted to be a complement to Yamishibai. in E.C. comics terms, that was like Tales from the Crypt while this show was closer to Weird Science or Weird Fantasy, especially with its western focus. I like 80-90% of the eps were set outside of Japan and portrayed westerners as the protags instead.

I can't watch anime with the volume on. The neighbors might hear.

Narag, your neighbors already know you watch anime. They just don't have the strength at the moment to confront you about your life choices and call for an intervention.

Narag

My Hero Academica - 22

Glad they gave the doomsday looking guy
peglegs
, I appreciate that.

Fun fact, a villain took both of his legs and they are prosthetics. Not some weird quirk thing.

I'm glad this came up. Made in Abyss reminded me I'd been wanting to ask the thread for a while about this as I've been interested in learning some examples of characters that are or were handicapped in some manner and adversely affected by it. Riko's presumably going to keep her hand given the ED and Symphogear and HxH had examples where the dismemberment was magicked away (although Gon kinda ends up like this anyway given the price he paid so let's not use that kind of thing as an example.)

Guts immediately springs to mind but he's pretty able even without that hand which largely seemed to tie into the notion of his eroding humanity in exchange for power. I'm thinking more of characters like Lockon Stratos from Gundam 00 after he's blinded in one eye, finds himself unable to function in his assigned role, and has to deal with this life changing event. I'm curious about that kind of thing.

guava_tin

Neo Member
I'm glad this came up. Made in Abyss reminded me I'd been wanting to ask the thread for a while about this as I've been interested in learning some examples of characters that are or were handicapped in some manner and adversely affected by it.

Can't really recall many series that do this, but that would definitely make for an interesting experience.

Seeing the impact of such a loss, coming to terms with it and dealing with life then on would make for an interesting story.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is a good example. It's also an example of how much of that trauma I've repressed but I'm sure everyone has an example that'll immediately come to them and I'm looking forward to those.

Shigurui

I'm glad this came up. Made in Abyss reminded me I'd been wanting to ask the thread for a while about this as I've been interested in learning some examples of characters that are or were handicapped in some manner and adversely affected by it. Riko's presumably going to keep her hand given the ED and Symphogear and HxH had examples where the dismemberment was magicked away (although Gon kinda ends up like this anyway given the price he paid so let's not use that kind of thing as an example.)

Guts immediately springs to mind but he's pretty able even without that hand which largely seemed to tie into the notion of his eroding humanity in exchange for power. I'm thinking more of characters like Lockon Stratos from Gundam 00 after he's blinded in one eye, finds himself unable to function in his assigned role, and has to deal with this life changing event. I'm curious about that kind of thing.

Yeah it would seem for the most part losing a limb or an eye makes you look more badass and thus powers you up. Zoro, Majima, Guts and Big Boss all have one eye but don't seem to have any issue with depth perception for instance. Same with getting old - if anything you seem to become stronger, but at least have a much higher chance of dying in a fight. If a character is blind, they are either blind for drama or so that they can say they have super hearing and smelling because they are blind. All Might didnt get his wound on screen so i wont count that. I guess the premiere example would be Ed and Al, if they did get stronger from that Al still got a really, really shitty deal. Theres also Nunnaly.

In LOGH Oberstein was born with really shitty eyes so he has artificial ones that malfunction sometimes and he has to take them out and tweak them. Supposedly his hatred of the old regimes is due to their Nazi Germany-esque inferiority eradication, so if he was born a century ago he would have been killed as a child.

There is a character in Golden Kamuy who has a partially artificial skull because of shrapnel from the Russo-Japanese war. He is a bit mentally unstable because of the shrapnel that scraped his brain.

Joseph Joestar gets suckier as he gets older, and he has a fake hand which gets chopped off every five minutes.

blurr

I'm glad this came up. Made in Abyss reminded me I'd been wanting to ask the thread for a while about this as I've been interested in learning some examples of characters that are or were handicapped in some manner and adversely affected by it.

Quite a few characters in FMA:B at the top of my head - Alfonse and Edward made up for that through automail but there are a couple of other characters through the course of the show besides them. One of them is incapable of walking until the end of the show and the other loses sight by the final arc.

RedEther

Welcome to the Ballroom 10

The first episode I honestly didn't like

A whole bunch of flashbacks made this a pretty boring episode, but it got worse at the end once you realize this arc still hasn't ended yet.

Danj

So I just watched Re:Creators episode 21. It went down pretty much how I expected.

But actually, part of me was hoping for a different scenario. Maybe something like the following, which although it did not happen is pretty much the exact opposite of what did happen so I am going to spoiler tag it.

Altair and Setsuna are having their conversation on the train platform, but instead of what actually happened, Altair becomes more and more upset and angry. Eventually (but before the bit where the train sirens start going) Altair screams something like "No, no, you're not the real Setsuna, you're a fake!!", then physically grabs one of her swords and RUNS SETSUNA THROUGH. Then they'd be frozen in that kind of half-embracing pose for a few seconds, and Setsuna would be like "W-why?" and then die, and then Altair would start a long echoing scream (like that bit in the original Superman movies where Supes realises that although he's stopped the earthquake, Lois Lane is dead), and there'd be like a white shockwave effect which would destroy everything, with the screen fading up to white. Then it would fade back down and we'd see Altair kneeling in the same half-embrace pose, but Setsuna is gone and there's only particle effects left, and there's no world left either, just a background of space (with, y'know, a few stars here and there so people know it's space and not just a black screen). And although she'd been crying/raging only a moment before, her face is calm with no sign of that. Maybe she has a slight smirk on her face or something. Anyway, she gets up, and faces the viewers - the viewers of Re:Creators, not the in-show viewers, as those no longer exist (4th wall break inside a 4th wall break? SIXTEEN WALLS OMG) and say something like "That was the end of this world's story. But don't worry, I'll get to yours soon enough" (or something equally pithy but way cooler) then reach forward to the bottom left of the frame as if flipping a switch, then there'd be the old-timey style CRT switching off effect.

BAD END

Either way though I have no idea what episode 22 is going to be.

Branduil

Geimu abu Suronzu
, of course.

Real answer:
There's a highly-lauded anime film that came out last year that you may be interested in.

Kemono no Souja Erin has some of that.

Jintor

Time to replay katawa shoujo!

Westlo

Welcome to the Ballroom 10

The first episode I honestly didn't like

A whole bunch of flashbacks made this a pretty boring episode, but it got worse at the end once you realize this arc still hasn't ended yet.

They needed to finish this arc earlier so best girl gets more time to shine :(

Qurupeke

Kakegurui 10

The masked girl seems like top chuuni.

Virgin Soul - 21

There is no happy ending here for anyone, only bitter depression, sadness and death await. For a series that started off sort of cheery, it's all gone tits up.

Didn't think I'd end up liking this more than the previous series but the ground work, build up and payoff has been done exceptionally well that even though the start didn't sell me, where we're heading has done more than enough to make me re-evaluate how I felt about the opening acts. This episode perfectly illustrates about build up and payoff, laying the ground work with
Meguro's death (What a well shot scene, how chaotic and frantic it was, it was done in such a way I felt Meguro might just pull through until the flatline confirmed his death)
the audience is left sort of numb just like the whole group. Ultimately Nina provides the emotional climax of the episode for us after she breaks down seeing her gift and finally gives her the determination to face Charioce. The direction has been phenomenal, the last 3 episodes are going to hit hard.

Unless the ending is disappointing, all things considered, Virgin Soul is better than Genesis. I'm missing the adventurous nature of the first series, but this one delivers loads on the character front. The drama is really well done and I'm actually liking the show's direction. I'm still not particularly fond of what they were trying to do with Azazel's redemption, but fortunately, they kind of dropped that subplot, or more like they don't rub in on the viewer's face anymore.

I think it's the one show I'm looking forward the most this season. I can't wait to see what they have in store for its finale.

blurr

Throne of Blood

Wouldn't want a feudal Japan rendition of Shakespeare's Macbeth to be any different from this.

Kurosawa is a master.

blurr

CR-Unblocker is your friend.

Wish this worked on Firefox too but I guess chrome will do for now.

So Animax got shut down on TV here a few months ago and got moved to this app/website called Sony LIV - unfortunately it is tied to live TV and not VOD so little has changed. While I can watch anime wherever through the mobile app, I'll still have to make sure I'm free when whatever show I want to watch airs. /facepalm

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 72

Which S4 is Yuzu part of again? I have trouble telling sometimes. At least the show remembered that Yume is supposed to be a superstar. She must really hate curry now. Curry ice. What will they think of next? Almost got myself hyped up when Koharu was in the eyecatch, but of course it wasn't meant to be. At least she finally got her love confession across. New girl Aria. What's she gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom