• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example Mutsuki Takamagahara:

l4lVwKU.png

You can tell she has more more spunk than them just from that image alone.

when did Silica become an idol

Deadly

Gamers! 11

Konoha worst girl confirmed. Also why the hell does she get introduced with a monologue about Tendou and not being able to match up to her but then she doesn't recognize Tendou at all in the actual show at any point.

Aite yeah fuck Konoha after that episode. Also what was the meaning behind the ending? Is it a bad omen to step into a grate or something? Thought it was an odd way to end so there must be some kind of significance to it

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But it used the characters. The Aquors reboot happened with the game too.

The game is actually licensed out to KLabs and not by the core project holders.

Both projects started with music CDs and music videos.

Heck before even that, it was basically just the characters. The name Aqours (and µ's) were the result of fan polls during the lead up to the whole thing.

I mean, you can't exactly produce a rhythm game if there's no music to go with it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
when did Silica become an idol

1. So apparently nintendoman thinks any characters with twintail look the same. Wow. What a hairist.
  2. I can't believe I have to look like I know things about Sword Art Online, but Silica was described as an idol in the world of Sword Art Online [the game].

LotusHD

Banned

Firemind

I imported the Cantonese version of Your Name because it's much cheaper than the Japanese version and it just arrived!

Save anime, Shinkai!

Edit: aaaaand it's region locked lol

Gundam SEED Destiny - 10

Okay what is the deal with Lacus Clone over here?

Was there really no way for Durandall to ring up Athrun and go: "Yo, shit's bad up here in the PLANTs dude. Ya mind getting in contact with your bro Kira and ask him to bring your former fiance up here so we can get a song or two to cool things off?"

It's not like Lacus would have a problem with it! Why waste all that money in whipping up an impersonator to do her job?

Theonik

The game is actually licensed out to KLabs and not by the core project holders.

Both projects started with music CDs and music videos.

Heck before even that, it was basically just the characters. The name Aqours (and µ's) were the result of fan polls during the lead up to the whole thing.

I mean, you can't exactly produce a rhythm game if there's no music to go with it.
But everything follows the direction of the franchise.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with anime-original endings. They can be worse or better than the manga material, but I always like to see anime adaptations deliberately put their own spin on things rather than slavishly reproduce the manga. If you want the manga, go read the manga.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with anime-original endings. They can be worse or better than the manga material, but I always like to see anime adaptations deliberately put their own spin on things rather than slavishly reproduce the manga. If you want the manga, go read the manga.

Anime adaptations putting their own spin on things is fine, but it has to be done in moderation and the original creator of the manga should have a say in what happens.

Otherwise you can get things like that Kuma Miko fiasco.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aite yeah fuck Konoha after that episode. Also what was the meaning behind the ending? Is it a bad omen to step into a grate or something? Thought it was an odd way to end so there must be some kind of significance to it

The thing is that lots of apparently meaningful events in this series tend to not have any significance at all because everything is played for laughs; e.g. Amano spending lots of his free time alone with his best friend's girlfriend (who he didn't even know) would be played for serious drama in a lot of series, but largely assumed a role as the biggest joke in the series.

At worst I simply assume it means that Tendou will be upset about the fact their romantic moment was ruined (coupled with the fact Uehara and the Hoshinomoris were even there) because she didn't get to see the fireworks/parade with her boyfriend in order to set a similar moment in Episode 12. The idea that almost literally anything of consequence to any of the couples will happen ever in this series seems incredibly low (meaning on a permanent basis, I'm sure they'll non-permanently break up for a horribly stupid misunderstanding at some point, e.g. not because he goes for Chiaki instead or something).

I just assume that, in the source material beyond where the anime ends (which I know nothing at all about), Konoha is mostly there to be in Amano's secret harem also to convince everyone else that their significant other is lusting after Konoha (her intro suggested she was bi or bi-curious so it could go both ways with the 4 paired up characters). I might have assumed she was a minor character, but there's only like 3 other named characters in the whole show and they have like 1/10th of the number of lines Konoha had.

Gamers! 11

Konoha worst girl confirmed. Also why the hell does she get introduced with a monologue about Tendou and not being able to match up to her but then she doesn't recognize Tendou at all in the actual show at any point.

And I don't get why they spent like the whole episode complaining about this double date like it was the worst thing ever. It's just friends hanging out and these people would need like a 53 episode anime before any of them would get to first base, so what's the big deal.
According to a person on Reddit who has read the LN, a lot of the latter part of this episode was Anime original. The Dungeon part is more significant since everyone ends up getting paired up randomly in a blind/deaf long walk which ends up with
Amano and Aguri accidentally kissing
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/71jw8w/spoilers_gamers_episode_11_discussion/dnbf1yd/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/71jw8w/spoilers_gamers_episode_11_discussion/dnbrfgp/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, but this is a big change in terms of anime because previously Funi and CR would pretty much get everything big. Now Amazon is here with Amazon money.

At this rate, as a wrestling fan I guess I gotta be prepared for the new Amazon Wrestling Federation.

Funi's lineup for the Fall 2017 season so far.

I feel it in my bones.

Amazon got Kekkai Sensen & Beyond...

If I'm not mistaken, all those Funimation announcements are shows that Crunchyroll had already announced they would be simulcasting. Considering Funimation says there that more announcements will be coming, I wouldn't count out Kekkai Sensen & Beyond yet.

Anime adaptations putting their own spin on things is fine, but it has to be done in moderation and the original creator of the manga should have a say in what happens.

Otherwise you can get things like that Kuma Miko fiasco.

Manga authors often, though not always, do have creative control over an anime adaptation, to whatever level they want to exercise. (Reference the second half of Shirobako). This Kakegurui anime-original ending that a couple people have complained about is explicitly drafted by the Kakegurui manga author, in fact.

Given the frequently questionable writing that occurs in anime, I can understand why some people would feel it safer to strictly stick to the original source than allow anime directors and scriptwriters much license. Still, I feel like the main goal should be to make a work that stands on its own and can appeal to people who haven't read the manga/novel/whatever, rather than only appealing to those who are already fans of the original. Thus I'm perfectly fine with even dramatic changes, as long as the end result is good in itself. I just recently watched Akira Kurosawa's film High and Low, which is based on an American pulp police procedural novel called King's Ransom. High and Low takes the basic premise of King's Ransom - of a kidnapper who kidnaps the wrong boy but demands ransom anyway - but transplants the story to Japan and dramatically changes the whole context of the narrative to the point where it presents a completely contradictory message to the novel. (In King's Ransom, the wealthy business executive threatened gets to not pay the ransom even while the kidnappers are caught, thus retaining both his wealth and his reputation. In High and Low, the executive pays the ransom and is financially ruined while retaining his morality, demonstrating Kurosawa's distaste for the modern capitalism that was taking over post-WWII Japan.)

Of course few directors in anime can hope to match Kurosawa's genius. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see them try to express their own personality in what they direct rather than try to erase their own personality. I would point to Gankutsou as an example of an anime adaptation that made dramatic yet intelligent alterations to its source material of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Quasar

Yes, but this is a big change in terms of anime because previously Funi and CR would pretty much get everything big. Now Amazon is here with Amazon money.

It’s especially a concern outside Prime areas. Though Crunchyroll in the past has licensed shows even without US rights.

Tuck

TIL Netlix and Studio Mir made a not-anime
but basically anime
LEGO Elves show featuring water and firebending. Weird. I wonder if its good. Probably not.

Deadly

According to a person on Reddit who has read the LN, a lot of the latter part of this episode was Anime original. The Dungeon part is more significant since everyone ends up getting paired up randomly in a blind/deaf long walk which ends up with
Amano and Aguri accidentally kissing
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/71jw8w/spoilers_gamers_episode_11_discussion/dnbf1yd/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/71jw8w/spoilers_gamers_episode_11_discussion/dnbrfgp/
holy that would have sent the misunderstandings to another level

Cornbread78

Konbibi Karashi ep.11
Pretty bitter-sweet atmosphere for the episode, but it was a big step forward for the story and the main ship. It also cleared up a lot of the confusion and misunderstanding from tgeir childhood. Go get it dude.

DNAbro

Gamers! 11

Tendou and Amano can be so cute together, adorable dorks. Konaha needs back up and stop trying to ruin a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom