• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

The more I think about the Kemono Friends news the madder I get, so freaking senseless.

The OPM thing I don't really care about. We were never going to get S2 with the same staff unless we wanted to wait another two or three years for it.

jonjonaug

It's impossible to know if it is senseless if you have no insight into why the decision was made.

A Kemono Friends sequel without its director makes about as much sense as someone making an Undertale sequel without Toby Fox or a mainline Touhou game without ZUN.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
A Kemono Friends sequel without its director makes about as much sense as someone making an Undertale sequel without Toby Fox or a mainline Touhou game without ZUN.
There is not some kind of irreplaceable tone or voice to Kemono Friends. It's pretty boilerplate stuff and the idea that there is some kind of creative genius behind it is sort of just laughable. Good creative use of limited resources....but what else can you really say? Maybe he was wrongfully fired but we don't really know, and it's not some kind of death knell for the series if they want to move forward.

Thud

idk that seems to hold pretty true for SAO :3

people loved the first arc, and then hated the second arc, and thus the show as a whole became garbage lol.

Actually SAO was garbage from the start, they just tricked us in thinking it was any good.

GGO was the worst tho.

jonjonaug

There is not some kind of irreplaceable tone or voice to Kemono Friends. It's pretty boilerplate stuff and the idea that there is some kind of creative genius behind it is sort of just laughable. Good creative use of limited resources....but what else can you really say? Maybe he was wrongfully fired but we don't really know, and it's not some kind of death knell for the series if they want to move forward.

The anime took a dead franchise and turned it into a social phenomenon. The director did the direction, storyboarding, designed the 3D models, and wrote the plot. It was obviously his passion project and there is no way it would have been nearly as successful as it was without his involvement.

Danganronpa V3 Prologue

DKnUN5BUQAAmt_2.jpg

The localization seems pretty good so far. They even say jabroni like 7 times.

Cornbread78

HxH (2011) ep.5-7
This show is doing a good job at keeping me interested on these characters and what they are doing. The Jester dude is truly a total dick!

Even though it was obvious what was going to happen, the ball fight was a fun scene.... at least Gon got what he wanted through utter defeat, lol.

zulux21

HxH (2011) ep.5-7

This show is doing a good job at keeping me interested on these characters and what they are doing. The Jester dude is truly a total dick!

Even though it was obvious what was going to happen, the ball fight was a fun scene.... at least Gon got what he wanted through utter defeat, lol.

it bodes well if you are already interested as the episodes you are watching are some of the worst in the series.

Overexposure has dulled my enthusiasm for Evangelion, but I still like and respect the show very much. Evangelion offers amazing action choreography and a stunning level of intellectual depth and philosophical pontification. RahXephon isn't nearly as intellectual or theoretical, but is instead much more mysterious, subtle, and artistic than Evangelion. Evangelion is a show with an agenda, a point to make, while RahXephon is much more a show intended only to be engaging, stimulating, and entertaining. In that respect, RahXephon is less 'challenging' to watch, and therefore easier to enjoy and like than Evangelion. Both are exceptional productions and each are enjoyable in their own rights. The difference between them is that one is highly classical and literary while the other is more contemporary and easily accessible.

I see.

Claymore, Episdoes 1-7 - So before my Funimation Subscription expires, I figured I'd finally watch this series since I know it's not on the VRV catalog. So far it's pretty solid. Clare and Raki make a pretty solid duo, with Raki being the helpless child but never quite crossing the annoying threshold. Interesting how after episode 4, it almost immediately jumps into Clare's backstory with little warning, though it does explain why she has such a soft spot for Raki.

tuffy

Hey, I just feel like it's something worth posting.

Whenever I saw someone talk about Rah Xephon back in my early AnimeGAF days, the Evangelion comparisons were all over the place.
I'm pretty sure some of its details about RahXephon aren't correct, though - like how they've interpreted RahXephon's final scene backwards in order to make a link that wasn't there.

Hamst3r

Rahxephon - 09 - [leosquint.jpg]

Chi's Sweet Adventure - END - Chi is just as cute and just as sweet as ever, and this season had a lot of my favorite episodes. The longer episode length probably helped with that. Also, Perfume's Nee made the opening one of the few OPs I watched more than once, and even a few times just on its own. I require more Chi!

Ronja the Robber's Daughter - END - You know, there were spot where they hinted at a few darker possibilities, a few chances for some tragedy, maybe some deeper explorations of the world. But nah. Ended up disappointed.

Fashion Lala: Harbor Light Story - This on the other hand. This has pretty dresses and disco, and doesn't make any sense, so I like it. Which I guess means I need to watch the Fancy Lala TV series.

Abunai Sisters - END - This I also liked. Laughed every episode. What can I say!

Rahxephon 6

This was a weird episode; felt like there were connecting bits missing that should have been there. It was especially weird for Ayato to make a big deal out of not fighting at the beginning but then abruptly reverse his position by the end without any obvious motivation. The stylized flashback sequences dealing with Kim's loss of her parents were well directed, however.

Instro

I liked the RahXephon soundtrack. I don't remember much else.

I really enjoyed it at the time, but admittedly it's been so long since I saw the show originally that I can't remember a ton. I think I may do a rewatch at some point to see how it holds up to me now.

zulux21

I really enjoyed it at the time, but admittedly it's been so long since I saw the show originally that I can't remember a ton. I think I may do a rewatch at some point to see how it holds up to me now.

yeah I might have to do a rewatch as well.

I recall liking it better than eva but I can't recall why lol.

the movie is garbage though I remember that clearly.

DNAbro

Food Wars S2 Episode 1

Nakiri Alice was too good for a round 1 knockout.

Also that pic in the rice when he was a kid was straight up adorable.

I'm more worried that the sound director also did Berserk 2017.

And Jojo TV, Girls und Panzer, Konosuba, Thunderbolt Fantasy, etc., etc. Most sound directors are super-prolific and aren't going to ensure any kind of consistent sound direction quality across the multitude of anime they work on.

kewlmyc

And Jojo TV, Girls und Panzer, Konosuba, Thunderbolt Fantasy, etc., etc. Most sound directors are super-prolific and aren't going to ensure any kind of consistent sound direction quality across the multitude of anime they work on.

First thing I heard of this was that he did Berserk, but I guess people tend to make things sound worse than they actually are.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 74

Ako still best idol. She knows how to handle even the bratty kids. Too bad she's the joke character. Elza sure pampers Kirara, giving her a private jet right after she had to be flown back to her. Then again she's the only one who gets results, so she's earned it. Caroline is going to murder someone someday. Yay, we finally got an Ako/Kirara performance. I guess Ako is sticking with FuwaFuwa Dream. Double muse huh. Well Kirara officially gets her new toy while Ako will not have more opportunities to destroy Kirara, so it fits. Or they could just be friends, but who wants that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom