• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Remember that one article the guy wrote about how you should watch Made in Abyss with your kids? Boy does he have egg on his face.

Has there ever been an article written by someone at the beginning of a series that by the end of the series has turned out to hold true?

Fortunately for me, I avoid most articles written about anime, so my only example is that infamous SAO being the smartest anime drivel, which wasn't even right at the time it was written.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Your Name is similar to 5 Centimeters Per Second as both have long distance relationships as a major theme and the baggage that comes with them. The difference is that Your Name is a more connected story, with some hokey magic and plot conveniences wrapped around it (or inconveniences in some cases.) There's a scene where one of the main character's grandparents tells a folk belief which comes up later in the story, but when that moment comes up, it occurs suddenly and lets the audience know the phenomenon has happened through name dropping. It's something minor, but unfortunately other examples would fall into spoiler territory.

Visually, it looks absolutely fantastic. It's something that live action would never be able to replicate without looking fake. That's par for the course though for Shinkai. Script wise, it really is a big step for him. I understand why audiences like this film as a lot of the themes strike home. My minor gripe is that there are too many montages to show the passage of time. I get it needs them to make the film more compact, but there are about three montages interspersed in the film while some forgettable insert song plays in the background. That's a bit too much for my liking, especially when there are so many cuts in those montages. The characters don't have time to breathe as a result.

My major, MAYOR gripe is that it uses amnesia as a plot device. Now anime, as you all know it by now, uses amnesia rather frequently as a storytelling technique. It's a trope that personally bothers me as it usually comes off as lazy storytelling. Its usage in Your Name isn't quite that bad, but it does prolong the story needlessly and relies on things like phones destroying themselves. One example isn't quite the result of amnesia, but it does seem rather similar to it! At one point, one of the main characters goes to look and find a small town he went in the past, except the only thing he knows is the town's appearance. You mean to tell me you've been living there for at least several days, you know what everything looks like but you can't even remember its name?

Lastly, the ending can make or break a film and I feel the ending here is too abrupt. There's no real payoff to the long distance relationship; there are some in the middle and in the third act, but it's not something that culminates into a bang-up ending. It just ends. So it's a lot like 5 Centimeters Per Second in that regard!
It's like the only movie he's made with a happy ending. lol

Some Nobody

JC Staff doing OPM S2. It will be fine people
giphy.gif

This makes me want another season of Witch Craft Works. :(

blurr

There is not some kind of irreplaceable tone or voice to Kemono Friends. It's pretty boilerplate stuff and the idea that there is some kind of creative genius behind it is sort of just laughable. Good creative use of limited resources....but what else can you really say? Maybe he was wrongfully fired but we don't really know, and it's not some kind of death knell for the series if they want to move forward.

This makes sense theoretically and replication of KF charm through inspiration is possible but at this point it is really uncalled for. Unless of course he wasn't wrongly removed but to be fair, the Tatsuki Twitter announcement implied it as some sort of an unfair action, adding to the fact that it was the director's birthday and how the community's relationship with the show is in the first place. There is also a speculation that he's removed because of its success and Kadokawa is looking for different staff with respect to that which is just harsh on the director even if it is a strategically sound decision. If anything Kadokawa seems to lack tact with the way they handle the media with something as huge as KF. I'm not even touching about how involved Tatsuki is in making the first season successful, just assuming that the staff change was a sensible choice.

Yohane

Danganronpa V3 Prologue

The localization seems pretty good so far. They even say jabroni like 7 times.

I know it's only the prologue but can we avoid discussion/spoilers on this anime thread? I've been trying to avoid anything V3 related from months now. (I won't be able to play the game until November).

Thank you!

Firemind

It's like the only movie he's made with a happy ending. lol
Nah

Nah

The film implies they both forgot everything about each other. Their names. Their homes. Their lives. The village they both had a hand in saving is considered a freak accident. We see no reaction from him when the anniversary is shown in the news. When he overhears Sayake and Teshi talking, who both mention their names, he again shows no reaction. It's a miracle they manage to recognize each other. When they finally meet, they first walk by each other and then he says: "Didn't we meet each other before?" It's back to square one. It completely invalidates their development and accomplishments during the film's runtime. That's not a happy ending. It's a total shit ending.

Nah

Nah

The film implies they both forgot everything about each other. Their names. Their homes. Their lives. The village they both had a hand in saving is considered a freak accident. We see no reaction from him when the anniversary is shown in the news. When he overhears Sayake and Teshi talking, who both mention their names, he again shows no reaction. It's a miracle they manage to recognize each other. When they finally meet, they first walk by each other and then he says: "Didn't we meet each other before?" It's back to square one. It completely invalidates their development and accomplishments during the film's runtime. That's not a happy ending. It's a total shit ending.

Naw.

Their prolonged interactions with each other would make it all come back again. This is what I choose to believe and nothing can take that away from me.

Daemul

Jesu Christ, Netsuzou Trap -NTR- was some hot trash. Fujiwara was an absolutely terrible character, he got away with absolute murder and ruined the show.

When even a show like Hina Logi(which was pretty good tbh, so I recommend it to everyone) does yuri better than you, than something has gone terribly wrong.

Citrus come and save us please.

Daemul

Someone actually watched that NTR show!?

The episodes were only 9 mins long(7 mins not counting the OP and ED), so I said "Why not?". That should have been the first red flag.

Big mistake on my part.

I don't understand why the show didn't have had the usual 24 min long episodes, it would have been much more fleshed out and better paced.

Daemul

Anyway, aside from Netsuzou Trap -NTR- I've also been watching Flip Flappers, since I saw it come up in many people's list of most favourite anime of 2016.

I'm currently on episode 10 and I hear that the story is meant to go to shit around this time due to a writer change that took place whilst the show was in production, but I've enjoyed myself so far, (the animation has been phenomenal) and I haven't yet seen anything that has been a cause for worry story wise.

We'll see if I still feel this way once I finish watching it in the next hour or two.

Dragon Maid OVA - man this show is so good, I hope it gets renewed for a second season, is there enough source material for it? I haven't kept up with the manga but if anything we know Kyoani is pretty good about 2nd season as long as the sales are there right?

jonjonaug

Dragon Maid OVA - man this show is so good, I hope it gets renewed for a second season, is there enough source material for it? I haven't kept up with the manga but if anything we know Kyoani is pretty good about 2nd season as long as the sales are there right?
Kinda? Just barely if they include as much anime original material.

I know it's only the prologue but can we avoid discussion/spoilers on this anime thread? I've been trying to avoid anything V3 related from months now. (I won't be able to play the game until November).

Thank you!

It wont even let you take screenshots past the first chapter. I wont spoil anything anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jesu Christ, Netsuzou Trap -NTR- was some hot trash. Fujiwara was an absolutely terrible character, he got away with absolute murder and ruined the show.

When even a show like Hina Logi(which was pretty good tbh, so I recommend it to everyone) does yuri better than you, than something has gone terribly wrong.

Citrus come and save us please.
Fortunately for you, this year has the best NTR anime of all time, which is actually a pretty low bar surprisingly: Scum's Wish

Cornbread78

Isekai Smartphone Jesus- END
Whelp kind of a lame ending completely focused on the harem. In the beginning the show was phone just to see how far down the Jesus route they would go, but it ended up being a straight harem in the end. I can truly appreciate the tone of the show though. It never got to high and never dropped into drama, so it was just a harmless & uneventful, but fun show to watch. Pretty "meh" overall.

John Blade

EIK55El.jpg

That might not be the worst (or best) plan Karin can hatch with what she can think of trying to stop the playboy issue to happen with Junta. Also, what can you expect from her as she is literally sleeping with Junta in sexy lingerie with him which you found out Junta mom actually put it on her when she sleep (make you even wonder if Junta Mom is really desperate to get her son to have sex with a girl).

The plan is trigger when Karin found out Junta and Ami are closed friend since childhood. Knowing this, Karin try to get Ami and Junta together in a quiet place where (in theory) Junta will confess his love toward Ami and both of them should now be in love and (maybe) get married which should cancel the playboy issue and change the timeline in the future (whether this work is no body know).

Unfortunately, the plan start to break apart when you found out Ami isn't the type the girl like Tomoko, who like playboy guy and for Junta, that's what he become when he confess his love. Basically, the whole plan fail very badly.

Not really a bad episode as you got to see a bit more of Ami side and realize she does have some feeling toward Junta even though she don't really show it when Junta is around (which make sense when you consider what he did in this episode and how asshole he is toward her). The whole plan stuff is something I have a feeling won't work well mostly how different Junta is currently in his situation right now with his play boy personality. Also, he still in the stage where he still have a crush with the DNA Hunter, Karin, even though she don't care about this right now. The whole comedy scene incident is fun to watch and make it even more akward when Ami saw it and also, Junta mom inform of what she give to Karin which make it feel desperate look like his mom is trying hard to get her son to have a girlfriend and maybe try to make some teen love.

Random pics of this episode.

Daemul

Ok, just finished watching Flip Flappers, and whilst I can see the issues people have with the direction of the story past episode 9, I think it was alright, though a 14th episode to wrap things up better would probably have been appreciated.

The only sort of issue I had with the latter part of the series was the really weird turn of tone that the (romantic) relationship between the two main girls took as more stuff started being revealed about their histories, but fuck it, they were cute together, so I'll turn a blind eye.

If they add some original content like they did for S1, they have more than enough content for another season of Maid Dragon. No problem.

I think KyoAni are still trying to figure out how to best adapt Ilulu's character, because it could be pretty controversial if not done right haha

that feeling when you have a backlog as long as something very long but actually you just want to rewatch galko-chan

Watchign Galko-chan was a.....very interesting experience if I must say so myself. I wouldn't rewatch it but I can see why other people would.

blurr

Konami actually pales in comparison given how it took Metal Gear bazillion games before Kojima dropped out. KemFure was ultimately just one unexpected hit show but someone couldn't keep their pants on for long.

Konami actually pales in comparison given how it took Metal Gear bazillion games before Kojima dropped out. KemFure was ultimately just one unexpected hit show but someone couldn't keep their pants on for long.

Konami had somewhat of a reason to remove Kojima. The way they did it by also cancelling Silent Hills and burning every bridge was monumentally shitty though.

Kojima takes too long, goes over budget, licenses tons of things he may not ever use, wants celebrity voice actors and on top of all that wants to be an auteur with crazy ideas.

In comparison Kemono Friends is way worse because its one dude who turned a dead property into the most popular NicoNico show ever. Its like that scene in Iron Man 1 where Tony Stark built the suit in a cave with a box of scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom