• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

Anime Limited release a clone of the Utena JP Blu-ray set plz.
YdU8MFT.jpg
l4zKJ64.jpg

n3POsGm.jpg

Agreed.

Instead of participating in this wasteland of a season, I would love to re-watch Utena.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 38/End

What a show, for the length it went and for how entertaining it was this was an amazing experience. And the best was saved for last, come and give me that Haruna spinoff Toei, I'm down for watching her rise in the ranks, from seeing GWM go from absolutely broke organisation to the top dog and the chemistry between all the girl wrestlers. The animation and direction was top level stuff, perhaps at times exceeding last week's episode. A great series I won't hesistate to recommend 9/10.

Riot if there isn't a sequel series with Haruna.

Articalys

You know, there's something I've always wondered -- Utena is one of those series that's regarded as a "classic", or at least something highly beloved. What exactly are the aspects of the show that keep it held in such high regard?

I cannot deny the technical skill on display in this trailer but I am starting to tire of the Ufotable 'house style' for their Fate productions. I understand why all the works within a single franchise would maintain the same stylistic vision, but I've grown bored of its drabness.

At this point it's ufotable's house style not just for Fate but for all their works (which are all game adaptations now), whether Fate, Tales, or Touken Ranbu. I can't say I'm a fan either.

Just the general sense that the 'grass will be greener' in the future. In specific terms, we've got Yuasa's movies this year + his Devilman project, there's also Mary and the Witch's Flower.

I am indeed looking forward to seeing those works, especially Yonebayashi's film.

Let's also not forget 2025 when we'll have Uru in Blue, Pluto and the 1st trailer for Evangelion 4.0.

Ha ha, I wouldn't place bets on any of those coming out. Pluto, maybe.

TUSR

Banned
room for 1-2 more shows in the OP and another movie/special

what's everyone looking forward to that isn't in there?

room for 1-2 more shows in the OP and another movie/special

what's everyone looking forward to that isn't in there?

Mahoujin Guru Guru, The Reflection, maybe Made in Abyss and Princess Principal. For movies you should put a reference to Mary and the Witch's Flower since you're doing Japanese releases.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That was the one I was looking towards, there is already enough trash in there to not include NGNL.

Is that the mofu one you sent me last night?
Yah

javac

You know, there's something I've always wondered -- Utena is one of those series that's regarded as a "classic", or at least something highly beloved. What exactly are the aspects of the show that keep it held in such high regard?

The show is super stylish and authoritative in its demeanour, the cast and crew are confident in the product that they are presenting and it really comes across to the viewer, meaning the show and everything around it feels fully-realized from a cohesive mind, nothing feels diluted or water-down. The directors graphics design background adds flair to the show and again, delivers a cohesive and realized identity that is unmatched. The play like nature, the use of repetition, the soundtrack, everything is distinctive and unique. The show exudes a sense of mystery that is both engaging and entertaining with many twists and turns that makes it a fun ride. That isn't even to mention the themes, breaking down of conventions of shojo, romance, sexuality and gender roles which has captured a generation that have both identified and related to this show. It's fun, stylish, unique and revelatory.

Since I have a couple of weeks before enough episodes are available for my seasonal preview, I'm taking the time to scratch a handful of shows off my list. First up was Amagi Brilliant Park, often labeled as one of KyoAni's "black sheep."

I was surprised, initially, at just how much this show feels like Sakura Quest. I mean, it's obviously far cruder and more fanciful than P.A. Works latest, but the drive to improve a place whose success is derived entirely from drawing people in via entertainment ended up with more overlap in how the shows felt than I originally anticipated. But because of that, comparisons started to arise, and it was there that the criticisms I often saw leveled at it started to creep into view as the show went on.

I think the show's largest problem is it's caught between wanting to be two separate things. On the one hand, it wants to be a show about our intrepid protagonist taking a run-down theme park and making it a sensational hit in just a few months by showing the behind-the-scenes view of how his managerial style will turn things around for the seemingly doomed park. And yet... at the same time, the park is also home to magical beings that derive their being from people's happiness, and the show is also dedicated to showing a whimsical adventure starting these cute mascot-esque characters as they often bumble their way to success in over-the-top and fantastical ways. Simply put, these two styles of storytelling don't gel very well.

More often than not, despite the closure of the park hanging over the entire series, sometimes the "fun adventure" parts of the show overtake the proceedings and all sense of tension is lost for the sake of having fun. But then the next episode starts, the threat is suddenly a focus again, and we see our leading man attempting his "behind-the-scenes" magic with another scheme to drive up attendance. Episodes often feel like they fall into one format or the other, instead of blending them more holistically. As such, the pacing of the show is inconsistent, and often leads to the heavier drama not feeling like it pans out as well as intended because it's often put on hold for what feels in some cases to be little more than filler (like the school episode), which is odd considering this show's only twelve episodes long.

It's a shame, because the show certainly looks and sounds good. KyoAni does such wonderful work with non-human designs, its a shame they don't do it more often, and the large amount of brass made for a soundtrack that felt more unique. But the lovely production values aside, I couldn't help but feel that everything this show did well I've seen done better in other shows. The blend here was nice and I had a good time watching it, but I don't have any inclination to revisit it now that I've seen it. Strangely ironic, don't you think?

Funimation announced that Your Name will be out on Home Video later this year.

Their list of Simuldubs kind of further showed how Amazon/Sentai and Netflix scooped up all the good stuff for Summer lol

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Demi-chan: 13

What a surprise and good episode. Satou pretty much made the episode with her plans and fantasies haha. Would be cool if it gets a second season.

Also Chio-Chan trailer came out, was surprised to see it getting an anime but it's a wild and humorous manga. Still need a Kaguya-sama anime.

Chio-chan trailer is fucking wild. I really hope the director manage to capture the spirit of the manga.

Feels like a weak Funi season.
DDsVgdnV0AAcFWN.jpg

They claimed that they still had more to announce, so I'm holding out hope, but it seems like slim pickings since Amazon got more aggressive with acquisitions this Season.

Since Funimation apparently cut a deal with Discotek, it'd be nice if they could also stream Lupin Part 2 and the old movies and specials that Funimation originally dubbed.

zulux21

They claimed that they still had more to announce, so I'm holding out hope, but it seems like slim pickings since Amazon got more aggressive with acquisitions this Season.

Since Funimation apparently cut a deal with Discotek, it'd be nice if they could also stream Lupin Part 2 and the old movies and specials that Funimation originally dubbed.

ideally funi will go crazy in the fall.

they won't have to be paying for MHA anymore and this season didn't look great in general.

i am mostly fine with the list.... though it would be better if erina wasn't on it at all.
should be replaced with naked apron guy.

Little Witch Academia, Episodes 1-13: Alrighty, I finished up the first 13 episodes available on Netflix and I'm liking it. It's matching the tone set in the first two OVAs, with the only difference being Sucy is more of a troll. I think Akko is pretty bratty but still endearing since a lot of her hot hotheadedness leads to things blowing up in her face.

There's been quite a few charming episodes, my favorites so far has been the
Headmaster's father
getting resurrected and Akko taking the trip inside Sucy's head. I said it before, but the series reminds me a lot like a Saturday Morning Cartoon in a good way.

Can't wait to see the next 12 episodes.

I'm only five episodes in, but I have to say as someone who was a lot less enthused with the LWA OVAs, I'm quite enjoying the series in much the same way as you. Silly little bursts of Saturday Morning Cartoon goofiness with a touch of animeish bizarre stuff
Like Stock Market Dragon
thrown in.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Made it a goal late last year to watch every single episode of Pokemon because I'm a fucking madman. Been catching up on the show while playing FF14 because I really hate myself.

Just got to the part in Advanced Generation where they replace the -entire- voice cast. Its so, so awful. Downgrades across the board and Ash is fucking terrible. Now I understand why people were so upset about this a decade ago. Its so bad I'm finally thinking about giving up on this dumb goal. But I really want to at least get to Diamond / Pearl so shrug.

Also this show just isn't great in general. But this Battle Frontier / post Hoenn league season has been really awful, a real low point for this series so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom