• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made it a goal late last year to watch every single episode of Pokemon because I'm a fucking madman. Been catching up on the show while playing FF14 because I really hate myself.

Just got to the part in Advanced Generation where they replace the -entire- voice cast. Its so, so awful. Downgrades across the board and Ash is fucking terrible. Now I understand why people were so upset about this a decade ago. Its so bad I'm finally thinking about giving up on this dumb goal. But I really want to at least get to Diamond / Pearl so shrug.

Also this show just isn't great in general. But this Battle Frontier / post Hoenn league season has been really awful, a real low point for this series so far.

the new voice actors get a lot better in diamond and pearl, and yeah the battle frontier sucks

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wonder what's taking set 3 of hunter x hunter 2011 so long

should have released this week since there were 125 days between set 1 and 2, and its been around 128 days since set 2 came out

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the audience and my knowledge of it is limited but isn't it huge BL bait? Isn't the series about beautiful sword men?

I guess the idea is the Master, the stand in for the player because it's based off a game I think right? would be a girl since BL stuff tends to be aimed at women.

DNAbro

I guess the idea is the Master, the stand in for the player because it's based off a game I think right? would be a girl since BL stuff tends to be aimed at women.

Well that's the thing, making the Master a guy means there is more room for BL bait.

I think it was implied that the Master was a man in the slice-of-life spinoff Hanamura as well. Perhaps they feel the sword boys serving their Master would play better to the BL audience if the Master was male.

DNAbro

Man I wish one of these BL bait shows would just take the plunge and go full gay like 6 episodes in. Would be nice for a change. Will probably continue watching Touken Ranbu cause I actually enjoyed the first episode and animation was nice though.

Man I wish one of these BL bait shows would just take the plunge and go full gay like 6 episodes in. Would be nice for a change. Will probably continue watching Touken Ranbu cause I actually enjoyed the first episode and animation was nice though.

There are explicitly homosexual boys' love anime out there, such as Love Stage or Super Lovers. They tend to not get much attention because they are mostly bad. The film Doukyuusei is worth watching though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Best girl and everyone knows it.

DDshwt3U0AIeqVN.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/881335315348168704

Of course Rindou on top

So... What shows are there to look forward to this season?

...Or rather, what is everyone else watching this season?

I'm watching most everything this season, but the ones I'm looking forward to in particular are:
  • New Game! 2
  • Kakegurui
  • Ballroom e Youkoso
  • Isekai Shokudou
  • THE REFLECTION
  • Made in Abyss
  • Vatican Kiseki Chousakan
  • Koi to Uso
  • Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi

Re:Creators Episode 13 was actually really funny and a very clever, meta way to get in a recap episode and reassure fans that everything's okay.

DNAbro

There are explicitly homosexual boys' love anime out there, such as Love Stage or Super Lovers. They tend to not get much attention because they are mostly bad. The film Doukyuusei is worth watching though.

I know they do tend to be really shitty ones and/or extremely problematic ones. Plus like 95% have like the same crappy art style. There is good BL out there but only the popular ones (which are usually problematic and/or crappy) seem to get adapted. I'd kill for a Stranger by the Sea anime. Doukyuusei was pretty good.

Fate/Apocrypha
Made in Abyss
Princess Principal

Are what I have on my watchlist. Anime is garbage though so I won't finish any.

I feel like someone told me about Made in Abyss... :p

I'm watching most everything this season, but the ones I'm looking forward to in particular are:
  • New Game! 2
  • Kakegurui
  • Ballroom e Youkoso
  • Isekai Shokudou
  • THE REFLECTION
  • Made in Abyss
  • Vatican Kiseki Chousakan
  • Koi to Uso
  • Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi

Re:Creators Episode 13 was actually really funny and a very clever, meta way to get in a recap episode and reassure fans that everything's okay.

That's quite the list!

sonicmj1

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul 10-13

A great series of episodes. The overall direction of the plot is much clearer now that everyone's motivated to do things, which has led to more of the swashbuckling adventure that was so great about the first season. All the prison escape stuff was a lot of fun. I shouldn't have let this slip in favor of Kado.

Re:Creators 13

This recap is probably the best episode of the show so far. Where has this goofy, self-aware Meteora been?

I'm not kidding. All these straight-laced expository monologues were such a drag because they were so damn serious about an absurd scenario that should feel like an excuse to cut loose and make dream battles happen. As much as the show may have thought it was being cute by having creations be like, "You wrote me this way!" it always felt half-hearted.

But this recap had Meteora rediscovering the sense of humor she lost track of when her pun fell flat at the end of Episode 1, and it's a lot of fun. Too bad this all probably gets lost when the show resumes for real.

My Hero Academia 24

I'm actually kind of impressed that the show is conflicted about the merits of Midoriya going full-bore with his power during the fight with Todoroki and consequently destroying his body, what with Recovery Girl scolding both him and All Might for being irresponsible and reckless. Usually battle shounen promote "Strong emotions above all", so to see one that isn't totally on board with that surprises me.

Did... did the show really just kill Iida's brother? That's rougher than I was expecting.

Re:Creators, Episode 13 - That's certainly one way to do a recap episode. Almost feel like all of Meteora's dry exposition up until now was building up to this moment where she literally takes the piss on the series. Lol

My Hero Academia 25

Of course he wasn't killed. How silly of me to think that was an actual possibility.
Still, some good character moments. I feel really bad for Todoroki. He has a long road ahead of him.

Overall, the sports festival was better than I thought a school tournament would be. There were a lot of clearly extraneous characters around the edges, but the treatment of the core characters, Midoriya and Todoroki in particular, was compelling. I'm interested in seeing what the series does with Iida going forward.

petran79

Banned
Zegapain is such an underrated series. Completely skipped it back then. Even today it is not that much discussed about.

Gurren Laggan probably took everything by storm back then. I found ZP better overall in story and characters

I'd rate ZP as one of the best modern mecha/scifi series. Have no idea why it was so disliked compared to the other series.Probably the CGI mecha and Matrix similarities contributed,though it does much more than the Matrix movies when it comes to detail and presentation.

Zegapain is such an underrated series. Completely skipped it back then. Even today it is not that much discussed about.

Gurren Laggan probably took everything by storm back then. I found ZP better overall in story and characters

I'd rate ZP as one of the best modern mecha/scifi series. Have no idea why it was so disliked compared to the other series.Probably the CGI mecha and Matrix similarities contributed,though it does much more than the Matrix movies when it comes to detail and presentation.

You sure have a soft spot for 2000s mecha anime that are generally considered mediocre, huh.

Gulz1992

Finished the first half of Gurren Lagann and watched the recap episode. So far I would definitely say that this show is much more about style than substance. That's okay, though, since it's really really good at style. It knows how to be over the top and entertaining without taking itself too seriously.

Symphogear - 9

I-Is the Tsubasa brooding over Kanade finally done and over with now?

Can she, Hibiki, and Miku now permanently be shoved off to the side and let Chris and Genjuuro take the spotlight so this show can have somewhat of a last-minute redemption?

Please?

pbayne

Tiger Mask End

Saving the best for last. Lol it was animated better than the real finale last week. And where were these great faces and expressions all season.

Overall good series. I think the novelty of it carried it at times for me, just seeing a wrestling anime with real njpw wrestlers was great and gave us the brilliant stupidity of Kenny Omega stealing Makabe's sweets. Like i cant gloss over that it had some truly bad episodes too tho, like that twins episode might be the worst single episode of anything ive seen this year. But everything in the last third from that big dumb pyramid tournament on was pretty much gold.

Kakegurui 1

OK, the transition from the episode's end to the ED going smoothly from Jabami's bouncing eyes to her bouncing breasts was a clever touch. Bravo Hayashi.

Jex

At this point it's ufotable's house style not just for Fate but for all their works (which are all game adaptations now), whether Fate, Tales, or Touken Ranbu. I can't say I'm a fan either.

A comparison that occurred to my earlier is with the stylistic approach of all those 'modern military shooter' games. It's just very one note.

KraytarJ

So... What shows are there to look forward to this season?

...Or rather, what is everyone else watching this season?
Ballroom
Gamers
Isekai Shokudou
Isekai Smartphone
Kakegurui
NTR
Owari 2
Princess Principal
Shokukou no Altair
Tsurezure Children
Vatican

This is the first time I've really thought out what I'm going to be watching this season… and it's not hugely exciting tbh. But at least it's almost all fresh blood this time around.

Kakegurui 1

Hot girls! Fanservice!
Gambling!
Craziness!
Reaction faces!
Yuri subtext (if we look at the OP)

It all joins in a, to be honest, kind of boring, uninteresting series. I don't give a crap about gambling IRL, and the whole series has an artificial, fake, style so I also can't give a crap about the characters or the setting. The tension doesn't work imo, even if they cut to a guy sweat drop when stakes are high.
I suspect characters will barely count as characters, they are just cardboard characters, vehicles for the series to have reaction faces and because they are needed to gamble with each other.

Quasar

Well...a bunch of Namco Bandai anime videogames got announced. Rather bummed none seem to be getting Switch versions. Its also PS4 only or PS4 and PC.

duckroll

Re:Creators - Episode 13

Hahahahaha. Well, that was entertaining. You know a show is bad when you enjoy a recap episode making fun of itself more. :/

Qurupeke

Kakegurui 1

It was okay. I liked the game's rising tension and the abundance of crazy reactions, as expected, and it was cool to see Jabami slowly reveal her true colours, but other than that, the rest of the dialogues were a bit stale. If the show manages to have entertaining games on every episode, it can probably keep its momentum and end up as a fun series, though I'm less than optimistic... In any case, just the sight of all those crazy faces and tights, along with the yuri undertones, are enough of a reason to keep watching it...

./revy

Banned
Kakegurui 1

Wew,talk about sexualized the anime. The amount of cuts to ass, lips, and tits was something impressive. I guess the whole premise being that gambling is something stimulating and dangerous, it might get a pass depending on how the series plays out. The contrast with the overexaggerated, fairly unattractive facial expression at least makes it seem like they are aware of themselves and using it to some effect.

It's always interesting to see how studios manage to use gender roles in interesting ways. At first glance I want to think the women are fairly empowered at this academy, but I can't help but feel there is some kind of male S&M fetish working behind the scenes to keep the lights on. The cultural gap makes it hard to judge things like that.

Does this have source material ? I'm assuming its seinen, right?

Edit:In hindsight, the animation of body language has my hopes up when we get to games where that would be more relevant. There is a lot of emphasis on the hands and face that could pay off later. The danger of the series being that with Fido as the good boy eyes and ears of the series, it could end up like Sakurako's Beautiful Bone Investigation, or whatever the title was, where we couldn't possibly know the deciding factors of things until they were told to us rather than shown.

Kakegurui - 01

I had low expectations but those were actually surpassed a bit, probably due to the fast pacing of this first episode.

But, did they seriously not show us Yumeko using the hand mirror whatsoever during their game? I skimmed through it twice and couldn't find it. How the fuck is the payoff supposed to work then when we're shown how she figured out the scam thanks to it. You've got to have some setup. Seems like a weirdly basic mistake.

Concerning the 'ugly expressions', I'm a bit disappointing we aren't really shown the transitions from the regularly beautiful looking faces towards the extreme grimaces much. Having that transformation thoroughly animated as opposed to mostly just switching those expressions between the shots would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom