• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

The mecha design isn't exactly top tier, but I'm honestly into this for the sheer passion the MC has for giant robots alone.

Kid's a MASSIVE Gary Stu (he skips from elementary to middle school because he's so smart with magic because it's similar to coding) but his love for mecha is so endearing that it's impossible for me to hate him.
Wait... The kid with the light purple hair is a boy?

Totally would have said that was a girl lol.

javac

Ordered the 20th Anniversary Utena BD, doubt that it'll ever be released in the UK, import duty fees got me sweating.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah this is too weird for me. Why not just make him a girl?

saika-from-my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu.jpg

latest

Andrew J.

Knight's and Magic 01

The story is pretty bog-standard isekai aside from the robots, and the technical execution doesn't really rise above "competent," but I like robots too and Ernesti's enthusiasm is really infectious.

Knight's and Magic 01

The story is pretty bog-standard isekai aside from the robots, and the technical execution doesn't really rise above "competent," but I like robots too and Ernesti's enthusiasm is really infectious.

Now, 19 years after his last video appearance, Ernest returns in "Ernest goes to a fictional world and pilots giant knight-like robots."

Knight's and Magic title is infuriating. Why can't they fix the grammar when streaming it in English? Why are we stuck with Engrish so many times with these titles? Is it a licensing thing or just weebs being weebs?

Knight's and Magic title is infuriating. Why can't they fix the grammar when streaming it in English? Why are we stuck with Engrish so many times with these titles? Is it a licensing thing or just weebs being weebs?

Maybe it's a plot point. Like we'll get to the end of the season and the title with change to Knight's Gary Stu Fantasies & Magic or Knight's Love Affair Between a Boy and His Mech & Magic.

tuffy

That's just what the licensor wants to go with. Sometimes titles get fixed for the English release ("Break Blade" to "Broken Blade"), and sometimes they don't ("Attack on Titan").

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 21

Ciel is just as dumb as Ichika, just a better cook. Why didn't the elder to that big signal thing before? It's nice that the thieves found everyone, but wasn't the point of the shop to find the fairies? Noir is now a thing. Not very menacing yet. The reveals are lacking oomph all around. Is anyone except Ichika going to do something any time soon? Not feeling any hype for the mid-season climax.

Symphogear AXZ - 01

Symphogear manages to make me laugh out loud and always puts a dumb smile on my face with all the over the top shit going down, and this episode was no exception.
I'm really glad this show is back!

L.O.R.D

Tiger Mask W 38 END

wow,i didn't expect the finale episode to be that good,really enjoyed it.

also,was that a hint for Tiger Mask II in the end?

ks9eIJp.jpg

i guess it's...
NO?

That's just what the licensor wants to go with. Sometimes titles get fixed for the English release ("Break Blade" to "Broken Blade"), and sometimes they don't ("Attack on Titan").

There's actually a reason as to why Isayama stuck to something weird as "Attack on Titan". Though, delving into it is a manga spoiler. While I won't directly explain that I'll put the hint in spoilers anyways:
The Japanese term "Shingeki no Kyojin"
is ambiguous in a manner that simply cannot be retained within its English translations. Whether or not Attack on Titan is a good or even the best choice is debatable, but it's not simply called Attack of the Titans or Advancing Titans for a reason.

Cornbread78

Sword of Oratoria -END

Yeah, this familia was fun to watch adventure throughout the season. The new additions to the cast were lame, but fun, and I loved the cross-over sections with original series and the action scenes were excellent.

Those story teases at the end were not needed though dammit. I'm not going to go buy the LN! Feel free to give me more anime though....

phaze

Wing is so bad you guys

You can't judge the show after but a dozen episodes man. Not even halfway through the journey and still so much much thematic deepness ahead of you.

There's actually a reason as to why Isayama stuck to something weird as "Attack on Titan". Though, delving into it is a manga spoiler. While I won't directly explain that I'll put the hint in spoilers anyways:
The Japanese term "Shingeki no Kyojin"
is ambiguous in a manner that simply cannot be retained within its English translations. Whether or not Attack on Titan is a good or even the best choice is debatable, but it's not simply called Attack of the Titans or Advancing Titans for a reason.

AoT manga spoilers

!!!

You know Eren you really are Attack on Titan.

Doesn't Shingeki no Kyojin just mean Attack or Attacking Titan ? The translators absolutely fucked themselves silly by going with the current title afaik.

You can't judge the show after but a dozen episodes man. Not even halfway through the journey and still so much much thematic deepness ahead of you.

AoT manga spoilers

!!!

Doesn't Shingeki no Kyojin just mean Attack or Attacking Titan ? The translators absolutely fucked themselves silly by going with the current title afaik.

Eren. You are the Attack Titan. Thus you can launch: The Attack on Titan/s
I guess, I dunno, it's a mess!

^
I spent like a year thinking it was a scifi manga about Saturn's moon...

We already get B-Movie Mockbuster Movies, why not start the fad of MockManga?

Assail on Titan.

AoT manga spoilers

!!!

AoT manga spoilers

!!!

The most direct translation is (apparently) "Advancing Titans" or "Advancing Titan". Since there's no different form for singular and plural you've got this ambiguity. So the context is usually how you interpret it as one or the other. And throughout most of AoT you'd obviously infer its meaning as "Advancing Titans" until that title drop opens the other option.

And well, Isayama probably really wanted to keep that sort of ambiguous title drop and couldn't have gone with something clearly either plural or singular. I've heard people suggesting "Vanguard of the Titans" as a way around that but that itself already conveys a vastly different meaning or idea than "Advancing Titans".

"Attack on Titan" is probably supposed to be read as attack-on Titan, the "Onwards Attacking Titan". That way you get part of the title drop with "Attack" Titan even though that's rather convoluted and "Attack on Titan" itself just doesn't make much sense. Again, whether that title is any good is debatable, but I think one can fairly safely say that there is no direct way to keep the exact same meaning and ambiguity intact.

Haly

Why all these spoilers for Advance of the Giant?

Jarmel

Banned
So I think I ended up seeing only the very last part of episode 1 of Welcome to the Ballroom and episode 2. I'm using the word 'think' because they never played an OP or ED after the first segment but rather it ran for a long time after I came pretty late. I was 20+ minutes late to the premiere and it ran for 20 minutes afterwards.

First impressions of the show aren't positive.

So I think I ended up seeing only the very last part of episode 1 of Welcome to the Ballroom and episode 2. I'm using the word 'think' because they never played an OP or ED after the first segment but rather it ran for a long time after I came pretty late. I was 20+ minutes late to the premiere and it ran for 20 minutes afterwards.

Ohh.

Why?

Qurupeke

Damn.

Jarmel

Banned
Ohh.

Why?
Maybe there's some crucial character development at the beginning but I found the main character to be a boring version of Hinata without any of the edge. The rival feels sort of generic in the sense that he's bored and waiting for a challenge that presumably the main character provides. Some of the sexual jokes, admittedly there were only a couple but they were really cringey and felt out of place. There's no interesting character dynamics so far.

On the animation side the necks and body proportions in general are distracting. Normally they might look fine but in a dance scene they become elongated and really distracting. There's a professional dance competion and not much animation in it, a lot of stills. In fact I wasn't impressed with the dancing animation as a whole besides one cut at the end done presumably by Boya Liang which has those thick lines in Haikyuu. The dancing in general just came off as boring.

Music is fucking great though.

Jarmel

Banned
In fact I'm not even sure how they will make the dancing be interesting. The only time I was kind of interested in the dancing side was when a character was practicing/dancing by himself. It wasn't even when he was dancing with his partner. It seems too technical of a thing to be fun to watch.

Maybe there's some crucial character development at the beginning but I found the main character to be a boring version of Hinata without any of the edge. The rival feels sort of generic in the sense that he's bored and waiting for a challenge that presumably the main character provides. Some of the sexual jokes, admittedly there were only a couple but they were really cringey and felt out of place. There's no interesting character dynamics so far.

This lines up with the few chapters of the manga I read.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't like to necessarily compare two works that might be doing their own thing and in different sports but it feels like a bad version of Haikyuu.

I'm interested in the Welcome to the Ballroom anime because I love the manga.
That said, two thirds of the reason of why I love the manga is because the art. It's one of those where I feel the b&w art is something special, very detailed, expressive, kinetic and emotive.
For example:

Of course because the author's drawing won't feature here, we are in one of those situations (like Blade of the Immortal, Berserk and a few others) where you lose a good part of the what it makes it special.

That said, it's true the start of the story is kind of weak also in the manga. It's a very usual premise, nothing worth noting about it.
But after x chapters, once the real competition starts it should improve, and they also will start deepening on the characters more, it should make for a better anime.
For example in the last competition in the manga, there has been a great focus on characterization, with flashbacks showing the origin of some characters and why they are how they are now, with internal monologues about their pathos, with other characters commenting about their weakness and strengths and their struggles, etc.

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 21

Ciel is just as dumb as Ichika, just a better cook. Why didn't the elder to that big signal thing before? It's nice that the thieves found everyone, but wasn't the point of the shop to find the fairies? Noir is now a thing. Not very menacing yet. The reveals are lacking oomph all around. Is anyone except Ichika going to do something any time soon? Not feeling any hype for the mid-season climax.

I agree with this sentiment. It's getting rather heavy handed with the Ichikaness, considering we had like what? Three episodes in a row where it's her doing something?

I don't know much about dancing, and I know even less about dancing competitions.

But I feel the "I'm waiting for a true rival" archetype won't work with a dancing show.

Haly

I don't know much about dancing, and I know even less about dancing competitions.

But I don't feel the "I'm waiting for a true rival" archetype won't work with a dancing show.

Uh, Yuri on Ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom