• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Rajang

Anyone have a suggestion for a counter pick against Jack?

Jack is very weak against pressure, he can't properly sidestep like other characters because of his size and he has no 10 frame jab or evasive moves. Rush down characters like Law and Nina work really well against Jack imo. Dragunov also works well because he can easily close the gap with WR2 and pressure Jack constantly.

It doesn't really matter who you play though. Just try to stay at range zero and try to pressure him a lot. Try side stepping and side walking to the left as well as it beats almost all of Jack's options except d/f+2.

Numb

Is king a bad character for a beginner to learn? I'm ready to take off the Katarina training wheels.

Play who you want
Everything will be hard to a degree if you are a beginner but atleast you'll be playing who you want and having fun too while also slowly lvling up and getting used to who you picked
Anytime time people pick characters they shouldn't expect to do the crazy advanced stuff that makes that specific character hard in their way. You won't get there for a long time

Unless you are a mishima addict and do nothing but electrics for months and months

Dereck

bkTQPds.gif

Mizerman

Play who you want
Everything will be hard to a degree if you are a beginner but atleast you'll be playing who you want and having fun too while also slowly lvling up and getting used to who you picked
Anytime time people pick characters they shouldn't expect to do the crazy advanced stuff that makes that specific character hard in their way. You won't get there for a long time

Unless you are a mishima addict and do nothing but electrics for months and months

When in doubt, EWGF it out.

I feel like Claudio is missing mix-up moves where opponent has to guess

It gets a lot better when he has starburst. Having a safe low launcher goes a long way towards helping him open people up, and then the fear of that brings his mid starburst launcher into play too. He gets starburst back at the end of every juggle too so it's really a a matter of getting a hit once, which is easy enough with his f,f,f+2 (grants starburst) b+4,2 (also grants starburst, and is a safe mid poke string), and of course the best hopkick in the game.

Claudio is hella dumb with the burning finger, it's just a matter of getting it the first time around.

zogged

Ok I need some serious advice. After 60 matches I am sitting at an 8% winrate. The only matches I've won have been against people somehow worse than me. What things should I be practicing? Definitely not just combos cause I can never manage to get starters to connect against people online. I tried like 6 different characters before settling on Miguel cause from what I've gathered he's easy to play. It doesn't help that every time I go in for what I think is a punish i get counter hit and blown up

ZeroX03

Banned
Ok I need some serious advice. After 60 matches I am sitting at an 8% winrate. The only matches I've won have been against people somehow worse than me. What things should I be practicing? Definitely not just combos cause I can never manage to get starters to connect against people online. I tried like 6 different characters before settling on Miguel cause from what I've gathered he's easy to play. It doesn't help that every time I go in for what I think is a punish i get counter hit and blown up

How good is your connection

Because advice on how to be a good player and advice on how to win laggy games online are two very different things.

maomaoIYP

I'm the other way, I much prefer his combos now, and the wall carry is totally absurd.

You can get over 70 damage from BOK2 or DB3 as well.
I just really miss the awesome feeling of smashing people into the ground with her b+2,1+2 and ending her combos with ws 3,1,2 or b,f+1+2,1+2,2.
Saw some T7 combos using multiple ws 3, f+4~df to squeeze out damage higher than 60 off a basic launcher. Great wall carry but damn it just looks so ugly.

Too me what many beginners / intermediate players miss is the movement/spacing, game is so much about movement/spacing its crazy.

Also send me a friend request, we can do a lobby and I can try and give ya some basic pointers: PSN Xinkwi-Xkuk

Also here are some resources I've collected from other GAF'ers:

Resources for new players:

Character overviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

Top ten points for new players from other fighting games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onfgm7ifwhQ

Tekken neutral space for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCKGGWNFXKw

Video on throw breaking:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149888227

Website(s)
Tekkenzaibatsu . Com
Shoryken . Com
Top 15 moves for each character: https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

How sidestepping works, its a video for Tekken 6 but some of it still applies to Tekken 7.
https://youtu.be/wuLhI7Co8CA

Also youtube "Level up your game" 80%+ of the Tekken 6 stuff will be applicable to T7.
Also youtube Basic to Pro: https://youtu.be/JxSzUSeYtkU

Well, knowing Miguels framedata might help you to find out what moves you can use to punish, start working your way up from jabs for each move you think you can punish
http://rbnorway.org/miguel-t7-frames/

Kashiwaba

I tried opening the ports on my router for both SFV and T7 (almost same Ports for both) and i can see a huge improvement in match making time for both. Made to blue ranks finally, hopefully the online remains this good :).

I'm fighting games noobie, what does move frames mean? I see the move then bunch of +/- numbers.

I main Jin btw.

3 main components of frames in Tekken

Remember the game runs at 60 FPS, and a single attack has a 'windup' usually called upstart. most moves in tekken take about 11-15 frames before they land.
Your opponent will either get hit or block your move. so when I tell you that move is -12 on block, thats how many frames your character needs to recover before you can make a new move. So if I block one of your moves that is -15, I get to use any move that is that is faster than 15 frames because you 'fucked up'

Aceofspades

Banned
3 main components of frames in Tekken

Remember the game runs at 60 FPS, and a single attack has a 'windup' usually called upstart. most moves in tekken take about 11-15 frames before they land.
Your opponent will either get hit or block your move. so when I tell you that move is -12 on block, thats how many frames your character needs to recover before you can make a new move. So if I block one of your moves that is -15, I get to use any move that is that is faster than 15 frames because you 'fucked up'

By faster frames you mean smaller number right?

fatalexe

Look up the top 10 moves for your character and focus on spacing and whiff punishing using low damage but fast moves. By focusing on movement, you will get used to spacing and thus learn how to properly punish opponents with the optimal move.

I'm fighting games noobie, what does move frames mean? I see the move then bunch of +/- numbers.

I main Jin btw.

You do 1+2 with Jin (all punches) and the opponent blocks your attack, you try to block but the opponent hit you with an attack even though you're holding back and blocking, why? cause after doing so, and by design, you're going to be unable to do another action including blocking for a set amount of time, that time is measured in frames. So if the opponent blocks your 1+2 attack, you're going to be at a 14 frames disadvantage aka -14.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly
you dont need to know all the frames for all characters, but its recommend you look up some of the 'good' moves for your character.

Here is a good list of all characters best moves:
https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Speaking of this helpful list (was using it last night).

What does the under score mean in this notation?

3_3,3_3,2_3,2~f

Only underscore I saw in the glossary was for "OR" which can't be right since the first wto are 3 3.

Too me what many beginners / intermediate players miss is the movement/spacing, game is so much about movement/spacing its crazy.

Also send me a friend request, we can do a lobby and I can try and give ya some basic pointers: PSN Xinkwi-Xkuk

Also here are some resources I've collected from other GAF'ers:

Resources for new players:

Character overviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

Top ten points for new players from other fighting games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onfgm7ifwhQ

Tekken neutral space for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCKGGWNFXKw

Video on throw breaking:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149888227

Website(s)
Tekkenzaibatsu . Com
Shoryken . Com
Top 15 moves for each character: https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

How sidestepping works, its a video for Tekken 6 but some of it still applies to Tekken 7.
https://youtu.be/wuLhI7Co8CA

Also youtube "Level up your game" 80%+ of the Tekken 6 stuff will be applicable to T7.
Also youtube Basic to Pro: https://youtu.be/JxSzUSeYtkU

It was my intention to learn some of the basics of that stuff with Katarina because she has lots of dumb easy strings.

I'm not a master though and I just wanted another character to play with. King is fun but getting damage will take some practice.

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of this helpful list (was using it last night).

What does the under score mean in this notation?

3_3,3_3,2_3,2~f

Only underscore I saw in the glossary was for "OR" which can't be right since the first wto are 3 3.

It's or.

so the moves are 3 or 3,3, or 3,2, or 3,2~f

Negaduck

Yo homie I'm Miguel main, shoot me a dm about what stresses you out or understanding, I can go through my approach with the character and what I do to win.

It was my intention to learn some of the basics of that stuff with Katarina because she has lots of dumb easy strings.

I'm not a master though and I just wanted another character to play with. King is fun but getting damage will take some practice.

The throws as king are important but it sounds like you aren't there in the least. For now I would suggest if you want to play as king go for it. Learn a nice bnb that works off of several launchers or crumples and the normal moves that king has. If something sounds way too intimidating or crazy hard to do it probably is but you shouldn't worry about that.

You wanna cast a level 10 fireball but you just rolled your character. It takes time and practice but to me improvements in tekken feel so good.

Practice a technique, maybe your bnb. In the next match try to hit it. It's okay if you lose the match as long as you've learned and improved as a player. And then you continue to learn a little, and layer and layer on knowledge and before you know it you are hitting everyone with rolling death cradle.

Good luck homie! With whatever character you land on :tup:

Skilletor

Is it possible for you to record matches and upload them?

Kashiwaba

Anecdotal evidence but forwarding the ports seems to have massively decreased the "Connection to the Opponent has been lost" errors on PC for me. Played for an hour and had only like 3 while before I could only connect to roughly every third person I got matched up with.

On ps4 version i can actually notice a huge difference, more+faster match ups before opening the ports most of the times it used to take to to 5 minutes to get into one match but now i get matched up every about 1 or 2 minutes which is not that great compared to other games but still way better that it used to be. Also I'm getting way less connection to the opponent lost, i think everyone should do this if they haven't yet.

Messiah

On ps4 version i can actually notice a huge difference, more+faster match ups before opening the ports most of the times it used to take to to 5 minutes to get into one match but now i get matched up every about 1 or 2 minutes which is not that great compared to other games but still way better that it used to be. Also I'm getting way less connection to the opponent lost, i think everyone should do this if they haven't yet.

Yes, I was agreeing if I worded it weirdly. I meant the amount of failed connections has decreased and the amount of successful ones increased. Would recommend trying it if you have the opportunity.

Onemic

Play who you want

me

Watching Maximillian play Tekken 7 is so fun. Not bad at all for a guy who hasn't played the game seriously in a decade. His Akuma is decent.

I wonder when we will get news on the guest characters. I never been as satisfied with a game as I have been with this one. Game still could end up being the best game in the series. I hope the fans reward all the hard work that Tekken Team has put in and the game does better number than T6.

With that said Namco should do a story mode expansion to set up Tekken X Street Fighter.

TronWayne

Guess it's good they have a Rage Quit system but damn I hate getting penalized for the games dookie netcode. Just hit greens with Paul too but I don't really know what the penalty is.

Ferrio

Banned
Just played a Paul that literally only spammed deathfist. He wasn't even being smart with it, as soon as he'd recover out would come another deathfist. I kept punishing him and he'd just keep doing it. Weirdest match yet.

Yudoken

Yesterday I tried out the PS4 version for the fist time for the first time and we were matched against only one opponent.

After that we somehow didn't get matched up even after 5 minutes waiting.

We changed values (as open as possible), changed to ranked and it still didn't worked out.

His Internet connection is good and he said it was never so bad before (Telekom dsl/Germany).

On PC (with my Internet connection which isn't really good) it connects in about 15 seconds with an opponent (sometimes there's an error message or I can't get the revenge match because of an error).

Hopefully they get it fixed this month.

So I picked up Korean Bob to help my friend learn the character. I found out that I can wavedash on the right side but suck ass on the left. My backdashing suffers from being on the right but I can still sort of bootleg it, so I guess overall my right side Hwoarang is better.

Also Just frame Skyrocket basically is electrics but more awkward to do, because it is f n d/f 4. It does feel like it comes out more in RFF (and people say that in older games) but learning it from both feet forward seems crucial.

fatalexe

I just lost to a grand master ranked Bryan 15 times in a row with just too good movement and punishes and side stepping for a grand master ranked player, must be a veteran. 15 times playing against him and I eat snake edges 15 games in a row due to me being triggered and nervous. Man this is frustrating and shameful losing to him as I'm like 4 ranks better than him.

Edit: lose streak continues as I lose to initiate and mentor ranked players. Time to take a break, this game requires a clear mind and focus to really perform well.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I just really miss the awesome feeling of smashing people into the ground with her b+2,1+2 and ending her combos with ws 3,1,2 or b,f+1+2,1+2,2.
Saw some T7 combos using multiple ws 3, f+4~df to squeeze out damage higher than 60 off a basic launcher. Great wall carry but damn it just looks so ugly.

You can still use those enders, it's only 2-4 damage off optimal, and can be more reliable on sideturned.opponents.

I really dont miss having to do the b1,4~df, uf+1 jank to land anything at all worth a damn!

Shame ws141 got neutered at the wall though.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I just lost to a grand master ranked Bryan 15 times in a row with just too good movement and punishes and side stepping for a grand master ranked player, must be a veteran. 15 times playing against him and I eat snake edges 15 games in a row due to me being triggered and nervous. Man this is frustrating and shameful losing to him as I'm like 4 ranks better than him.

Edit: lose streak continues as I lose to initiate and mentor ranked players. Time to take a break, this game requires a clear mind and focus to really perform well.

If he's using constant snake edges, then he's either very bad, or he's twigged that you never block them. Listen for the super distinctive hissing sound he makes as a cue to block low.

Top Bottom