• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: FoA |OT| F2P Now on Steam! Parade coming after HL3

yaffi

Havent played this since before Reapers were released, is the EU version still terrible?

I started playing again recently. Not a lot, just some leveling and getting to 65 and I didn't notice anything that would qualify as terrible (got veteran status from back then though).

DrAg0nBoY

So I am thinking of playing this game. Will probably try the NA version as it seems that the EU version is not that good.

For those who are from EU and play on NA how is the latency? And are people from GAF still playing the game (is the guild still active)?

Lucc

I have around 100-150 latency. That is passable. You'll have problems with rubber banding in pvp though. Especially classes that need more precision like Berserkers and Slayers (from what I've been told).

The NA version definitely seems better, I have played on both but switched to NA because I just couldn't deal with delays and cut stuff/events in EU (that was over 2 years ago though. Not sure if it is better now).

I'm playing on Tempest Reach (PvE Server), have been dipping in again since there was a patch with a new Class recently, the Brawler. It's one of the 3 new classes along with Gunners and Reapers. To counter the rubber banding (I mentioned before), those classes deal tons of aoe damage. So it isn't as noticeable.

If you are a first timer I definitely recommend one of those classes (they are Female+Race locked though).

If you are starting from scratch I highly recommend applying a buddy code. Wished someone told be but you and the person with the Buddy code get tons of benefit. You'll get stuff like XP bonus scrolls and temporary mounts.

About the GAF guild, I haven't seen anyone around recently. I'm not in the guild though. There might be some still running around. But I guess not many since this thread hasn't been very active recently.

If you decide to roll on Tempest Reach you can add me any time in game if you have any question. Name is: Dr.Nero (with the dot in-between)

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks for the answer Lucc. I made now a new character, a Gunner. I do hope I have fun with the game. My IGN: Tanna.Banehunter

About the Buddy code, do you have one? Don't know where I could get one and I saw what the benefits are, so would really love one.

DrAg0nBoY

I have a question. Is it worth doing quests or should I try and do dungeon runs for levels?

I did all the quests in the starting zone but I am now only doing the story quests, because I am anyways a much higher level than the required for the quests.

I have a question. Is it worth doing quests or should I try and do dungeon runs for levels?

I did all the quests in the starting zone but I am now only doing the story quests, because I am anyways a much higher level than the required for the quests.

just do the main quests if you like them. dungeon runs for levels, otherwise. until you hit 60, then level through the main quests.

NeOak

So I am thinking of playing this game. Will probably try the NA version as it seems that the EU version is not that good.

For those who are from EU and play on NA how is the latency? And are people from GAF still playing the game (is the guild still active)?
Sorry, the GAF guild is currently just me. lol

Everyone quit and the few non-Gaffers that still play are in other guilds.

Long story short: FFXIV came and they moved on.

Lucc

It's up to you. You'll definitely level a lot faster in dungeons though. But you'll miss out on a lot of the scenery. The world of Tera is beautiful. On the other hand the writing for the quests is not really good.

As for the story quests, you can skip them if you are too high. New ones unlock depending on your level. You can see locations of new quests on your map. I always cherry picked the quests for quests with rewards I was interested in. You'll aways want to look for armor upgrades since you get weapons from those shard drops.

If you wanted to you could even solo or duo the 5 dungeons. Try to grab a Brawler as tank and you should be able to breeze through them. To prepare yourself you could watch some youtube vids.

here is a nice beginner guide that goes through Enchating, Crystals and Campfires if you are not familiar with it: http://forum.teratoday.com/topic/823-beginners-guide-to-tera/

DrAg0nBoY

Well it seems like I will be doing only dungeons from now on, lol.

Didn't find a party for the 3rd dungeon so went in with matchmaking. They didn't do the storyline quest. Tried a second time, the same thing. Went in the third time, just to get the exp, lol. Then went 3 time with the 4th dungeon (Necromancers Tomb or something like that).

If you go through matchmaking, you get the dungeon based on your level on the the location on your map, right?

Now the only thing that will be a problem is armor, because I get only my avatar weapon upgraded ...

Lucc

Yupp, the dungeons are sorted around your level. Afaik it can be anywhere. After the dungeon you'll always get ported back though.

Metal Armor is very expensive right now because there are so many Brawlers around. Around your level you should get decent armor from the story quest rewards though. You can do them between queues. And you'll need to kill mobs anyway to get the relics for the weapon.

Just go into your quest log, click on the active quests and look for the rewards. they were perfectly fine for me until you reach level 58. Since you have xp boosts it should be even faster.

Btw, the Santa Event is running right now. Fat and Tiny Santas spawn everywhere on the map. If you see a Yellow/Orange dot on your minimap amids red ones it might be a Santa. They have a chance to drop a permanent, tradeable 280 speed mount. That might be helpful later on when the reward ones run out. I wouldn't go out of my way to farm them tough. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

oh yeah, a brawler event is going on right now: http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/brace-for-impact-with-the-brawler

you can collect those medals and trade them in for a mount and fashion coupons. You can also do and share them on multiple characters. The mount is tradeable, too. Very worth it imo.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is there even a sensible explanation as to why the classes that are locked behind a race/gender are all female-only? I imagine it's because the developers want to up the waifu count. Strikes me as scummy garbage.

NeOak

Is there even a sensible explanation as to why the classes that are locked behind a race/gender are all female-only? I imagine it's because the developers want to up the waifu count. Strikes me as scummy garbage.
Focusing limited resources
on where they make the most sense from a cash shop perspective

ShinMaruku

One one hand having classes for only a few races could add to the themactic feeling of the game but it's obvious it's female only because their cash shop market is tilted to that end so add to game play and the cash shop, it's smart. If they were a bit more ambitious we'd have some great stuff, but the game is still running fine.

pandering consumerism at work! in all its glory!

Lucc

speaking about gender lock. A new Elin was teased. Seems to be a new class with a gigantic ninja star or something.

Also flying mounts seem to be added.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
So, tell me guys and girls. I tried on 3 different occasions to like this game. Got to about level 20 each time and was bored to tears by the quests.

Did I do something wrong or what? I was a major WoW player back in the day, primarily pvp (gladiator in arenas, big world pvp, etc etc) so I never really got to see if this game had what I was looking for towards end game.

NeOak

So, tell me guys and girls. I tried on 3 different occasions to like this game. Got to about level 20 each time and was bored to tears by the quests.

Did I do something wrong or what? I was a major WoW player back in the day, primarily pvp (gladiator in arenas, big world pvp, etc etc) so I never really got to see if this game had what I was looking for towards end game.
You should have tried the first dungeon that is for level 20.

PvP is super gear dependant, even if people say it isn't. But you can queue for the first equalized battlefield at LV 30.

Also, not everyone likes playing all the classes, so finding one that you do like is the first challenge.

DrAg0nBoY

One question. How do I get to the new continent? Does a quest bring me there or not? Do I have to go from Velika with a pegasus?

One question. How do I get to the new continent? Does a quest bring me there or not? Do I have to go from Velika with a pegasus?

??? the new continent? you mean, where the OTHER continent (where the high elf capital city, allemantheia and kaiator are?)

the main quest will take you to those places, eventually

oh man, why did i come back to tera :< (*just made a brawler*)

DrAg0nBoY

??? the new continent? you mean, where the OTHER continent (where the high elf capital city, allemantheia and kaiator are?)

the main quest will take you to those places, eventually

oh man, why did i come back to tera :< (*just made a brawler*)

No I meant the Fate of Arun stuff.

Lucc

As soon as you hit 60 the quest unlocks. You can port to the Velik Outskirts when you press 'H'. From there it's smooth sailing till around 63-64. You'll get 2 full armor and a full jewellery set on the way. Just follow the quests. You should do Sabex Armory when you are around 61 from time to time and at least once the Macellarius Catacombs to get your Rare Glyphs.

If you've done both dungeons and hit 65, you'll get Idoneal gear from a guy in Highwatch. That'll set you for your first set of lvl 65 dungeons.

DrAg0nBoY

Lucc thank you very much for the info. The question about the dungeons. Do I need to do them as story quests or is it ok if I go in through matchmaking and just kill everything?

Because after 3 failed attempts at getting a group to do story dungeons I am just doing normal dungeon runs.

Lucc thank you very much for the info. The question about the dungeons. Do I need to do them as story quests or is it ok if I go in through matchmaking and just kill everything?

Because after 3 failed attempts at getting a group to do story dungeons I am just doing normal dungeon runs.

the sabex and everything? no you dont need to do them through the story quests... but you will need to do them to get the rare glyphs, sabex and macellarius catacombs.

Lucc

oh, you mean Kelsaiks, Lab. of Terror and stuff? Just skip that. That's outdated content. Only ones that progress you are Sabex, the Catacombs and the 65 dungeons.

Once you hit 65 you get 3 Story Dungeon quests with some nice rewards. Those you can/should do in order. They tell you where to go though.

When I leveled i did all the 60+ story quests. that got me to 63. Then I just did sabex and the catacombs to 65. You'll need to do them a couple of times for most of your rare gylphs.

Not sure if you did yet but you should consider joining a Guild around now. Pugs can be pretty mean to new players and endgame content is way more enjoyable with a group of people you know and who can explain the fights to you.

I haven't joined a guild yet and experience that right now. I have exams coming up though so not much playtime anyways^^

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks both for the answer.

And no Lucc, I am not in a guild. Wanted to ask you, if you are in one, if you could get me an invite, haha :D.

DrAg0nBoY

So I got myself a Schisma Weapon, Body Armor and Belt. Should I use the weapon or should I stick with my Avatar weapon? Should I even keep that stuff? Because all I see is that after Idoneal I should go Ambit gear.

edit: I just saw that I should get an Idoneal Weapon also, but I never got it when I got the armor :/.

edit2: So I saw somewhere on reddit that you don't get a weapon and now I am really confused.

Lucc

Yeah. Schisma is higher. For gunners it's Schisma (Tier7) -> Dreadnaught (T8) -> Lucid (T7) -> Starfall (T9)

Schisma is way better than Idoneal once you enchant it. Schisma is considered the starter gear right now but if you use it properly it can carry you through all the current content. It's relatively easy to Masterwork, Reroll and Enchant.

Dreadnaught is considered mid Tier. It's a step up from Schisma. You should be able to do the upcoming content like Forsaken Inland Hard Mode and Dreadspire 2 if you max it out and have a proper group setup. It is fairly expensive to Masterwork, Reroll and Enchant though.

After that comes Lucid (VisionMaker5) and Starfall (VM6). That gear can be Awakend and thus enchanted to +15. Moreover the Weapon and Chest piece have an additional roll. +15 VM5 gear is considered High Tier. VM6 is the Top Tier right now. But both are very farm intensive and expensive. Lucid weapons go for around 400k on the auction house and Starfall is beyond 1 million gold. Some people skip Dreadnaught for Lucid. Getting Lucid to +12 should be relatively easy. Same goes for the Masterworking and Rerolling because it is considered T7. However Awakening it and Enchanting it to +15 can be literally hell.

I'd recommend getting your Schisma gear to +12 because it is dirt cheap compared to the other sets. Here is an Enchanting and Masterworking guide: http://www.essentialmana.com/enchanting-masterworking/
After that I'd probably at least try to get a +12 Dreadnaught weapon and Gloves. Then work for a Lucid Weapon or Chest.

What else? Try to do Ghillieglade daily for some steady gold income. Try to finish your Vanguard dailies. The fastest way is joining a TAR group (stands for the That ain't right quest). Other then that have fun with the endgame and learn the dungeons (look for youtube videos)^^

Not sure I'd recommend PvP right now. It is infested with Brawlers. Better wait for the next patch when they are tuned down a bit.

As for Weapon and chest rolls:

Chest: Top Roll: Arcane Barrage Damage +7%. Other rolls: Enrage DMG reduction > Damage from front red. > Damage red. > 8%HP

Weapon: Enrage DMG > DMG from behind > DMG > CDR > ATK Speed (only if top roll)

it's best if you inspect other Gunners and compare with them (try to look for the ones with the shiny titles. they normally know what they are doing^^)

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks both for the answer. So I guess I should be farmin Schisma gear than? Need the gloves and boots.

And what about Ambit? Should I go Schisma and then Dreadnaught and skip Ambit?

I kinda don't know how to reroll and that stuff, so I will need to read through that and watch out what I pick.

Yeah I have been seeing many TAR group requests, never knew what that was, so thanks for that.

And one more question. Can I mix my armor or should I stay on Idoneal until I get all the Schisma pieces?

NeOak

So I got myself a Schisma Weapon, Body Armor and Belt. Should I use the weapon or should I stick with my Avatar weapon? Should I even keep that stuff? Because all I see is that after Idoneal I should go Ambit gear.

edit: I just saw that I should get an Idoneal Weapon also, but I never got it when I got the armor :/.

edit2: So I saw somewhere on reddit that you don't get a weapon and now I am really confused.
Is that a brawler? There is no idoneal weapon for Brawler. Instead, you get a LV 64 Avatar weapon.

And yes, go Schisma.

DrAg0nBoY

Nope Gunner :).

edit: Welp I am stupid. I thought how much money I have and resources and all and now I found out I can't even enchant my weapon to +9, lol. Oh well.

Lucc

You can upgrade your old feedstock by Shift+Right Clicking on it. The ratio sucks but maybe that helps a bit.

try to always negotiate when buying stuff from the Auctionhouse

not sure if you've gathered any materials yet but that can be a decent income source, too. Look on google for decent spots.

Have you spent your Vanguard Credits yet? You can buy high tier Crystals and Masterwork Alkahest boxes with it. Right now that's the main income source for most players.

Oh yeah: Invest into Complete Crystalbind! They protect your crystals for 12h for only 60-70 gold a pop.

DrAg0nBoY

Lucc you are great with the answers :D.

I have been doing that with my feedstock. But I am still out of that. Will need to buy it on the auctionhouse. Still need to get used to that.

I have not be gathering much. I either forgot or couldn't be bothered (and I have been playing mostly dungeons).

No, I have not spent my Credits. Where can I do that? And yeah I will have to buy that one, because I died because of a stupid mistake and lost half of my Crystals on my weapon.

Edit: Well spend almost 4k gold to get my weapon to +12. I hope it was worth it :D.

Lucc you are great with the answers :D.

I have been doing that with my feedstock. But I am still out of that. Will need to buy it on the auctionhouse. Still need to get used to that.

I have not be gathering much. I either forgot or couldn't be bothered (and I have been playing mostly dungeons).

No, I have not spent my Credits. Where can I do that? And yeah I will have to buy that one, because I died because of a stupid mistake and lost half of my Crystals on my weapon.

Edit: Well spend almost 4k gold to get my weapon to +12. I hope it was worth it :D.

there are vanguard merchants at highwatch and amadjuak trading outpost. the ones at amadjuak is just off towards the right side of the camp. should spend them vanguard creds before you max out!

+12 is great, but don't forget to reroll them to get the right stats :)

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks for that.

Got into a really great group which let me get my boots and gloves for Schisma. So all I need now is money to max that stuff.

About my weapon, those are the stats I have now:
weapon.jpg

Do I need to reroll some of the stats or are they good as they are now?

Lucc

the rolls on the weapon are decent. but you'll eventually want to go for the damage rolls once you get proper crit jewellery.

Crit is good but flat 6-10% dmg increase is better. Gunners have a lot of crit on their important skills as is.

Enrage dmg, damage, damage from behund and cooldown reduction are what most gunners usually go for.

I think there is an outdated gunner guide on the official forums. not sure if there is a good current one but you should be able to see a decent glyph setup and the right skill priority list there.

Btw, dont use normal spellbind to reroll your gear. only the Spellbind VII. You'll get tons of those from dungeon runs.

I hope they release the new content soon (new dungeons, class balance and new solo area). It is going through localization right now. Makes stuff a little less grindy and rng heavy.

DrAg0nBoY

Yeah I mean, should I even bother with rerolls on Schisma armor and weapon or should I start doing that on my next set of armor and weapon?

I am doing stuff according to that guide on the tera forums. Have not found one, that is more current.

edit:
So I am probably really annoying with this but here is my gear:
I will get everything (probably) to +12, but my question is, should I gor for the Dreadnaught gear (even though I don't have my current gear at +12)? I can do the hard dungeons but is it worth it so soon? I mean I play the game like 30 to 40 minutes just to do a dungeon or two and that's it. I am running out of money and resources, heh.

Top Bottom