• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are we gonna have another plug.dj night?
We can play Rihanna's new video on rihpeat.
and I'll "meh" it every time it plays :p

Look at this history.

Earlier today it was an hours-long, uninterrupted Björkfest and it was amazing.

RIP godelsmetric bless your robyn-loving heart

This place would be a graveyard if they modded here the way they do over there. <3

Could you IMAGINE...

ibvoXTJqiDKKfx.gif

Bladenic

Jesus, how is anything about that post ban worthy? I need to be careful, I post on the gaming side (though not much recently)!

Sai-kun

Banned
I'll be honest, it really should have been

Calvin Harris - We Found Love (feat. Rihanna)
and
Calvin Harris - Where Have You Been (feat. Rihanna)

god, nothing about her voice is unique to the song. you could take britney, gaga, adele, katy b, or any other number of pop stars and the song would still sound exactly the same. i love me some club music, but damn that was boring.

In memory of our (temporarily) fallen comrade, my two favorite moments of his:

Sorry WHEW? Dead @ randoms trying to grab 15 minutes off of this LAWD. Not here for this irrelevant. Who Chris already done and dragged on twitter. Clocked Tea. Next flop
iiBtjIqg738Y0.jpg

Translation:

"Sorry, but who is this? I can't believe so many people are trying to grab publicity off of this incident. I refuse to give these 'Nobodys' attention, especially those that Chris has already effectively dealt with and shamed on Twitter."

Who? Oh how cute another turtle neck has been trying it for an extra 15. Not here for these flops. Call Us when someone relevant tries it because then we will clock some tea. Otherwise the Non Factor Wrestling Industry can sit their dusty, busted, and rusted asses all the way down and keep it cute. Aint Nobody here for wrestling and the ratings don't lie gurls. Clocked Premium Jasmine Chai x2. Next flop wanna try it? Dismissed.

iiBtjIqg738Y0.jpg

Sorry I was late, but if anybody is still curious about the translation:

"Who is the Iron Sheik? Oh, how cute! Another Nobody has been trying to gain another 15 minutes of fame off of this incident. I don't care for these losers. Call me when someone important starts slinging insults, then we will start a back-and-forth. Otherwise, the Irrelevant Wrestling Industry can get out and shut up. Nobody smart cares about wrestling and the ratings don't lie, everyone! Howsabout them apples? Anybody else want to argue about it? No? Then get out."

Come back soon... :/

ibwBWg20IdPVJ5.gif

Switters

I'll be honest, it really should have been

Calvin Harris - We Found Love (feat. Rihanna)
and
Calvin Harris - Where Have You Been (feat. Rihanna)

god, nothing about her voice is unique to the song. you could take britney, gaga, adele, katy b, or any other number of pop stars and the song would still sound exactly the same. i love me some club music, but damn that was boring.

I was going to say something similar, but I'll add that this doesn't give me much hope for liking his next album.

The video was something. The song, utterly forgettable.

Speaking of Little Boots, I don't like her voice (at all), but I appreciate her musical sense. Some of her covers are endearing.

I've also been listening to some more Ellie Goulding. Her live performances are a million times better than her poorly-produced studio work.

Edit: Switters, with an avatar like that this thread needs you. Especially now that godelsmetric is out of commission.

Switters

Speaking of Little Boots, I don't like her voice (at all), but I appreciate her musical sense. Some of her covers are endearing.

I've also been listening to some more Ellie Goulding. Her live performances are a million times better than her poorly-produced studio work.

Edit: Switters, with an avatar like that this thread needs you. Especially now that godelsmetric is out of commission.

Lol.
Could you post some Ellie live links you liked. I saw her on Dave or SNL and felt it was kinda weak.

Lol.
Could you post some Ellie live links you liked. I saw her on Dave or SNL and felt it was kinda weak.

Sure! And by "live", I should have specified I meant "acoustic", or at least stripped down. Videos of her performing at festivals are pretty underwhelming, honestly.

I really like this version of Starry Eyed on what looks like German TV.

Her other major hit, Lights, gets another decent acoustic performance on BBC Radio 2. Some vocal issues, but I like the arrangement overall.

I posted this a few pages back, but I really enjoyed her cover of The Knife's Heartbeats on BBC Radio 1.

And this is a bit odd if you were subjected to the months of torture that was Rihanna's Only Song (On the Radio). I don't know if it's "good", but it's definitely interesting.

And I wasn't kidding about you being here! I can even forgive some shitty taste elsewhere, we just need all the Robyn love we can get right now.

Sai-kun

Banned
She's [Ellie] been sick/slightly off 2/3 past times I've seen her. Must be something about Chicago :(

She fucking killed it at Lollapalooza last year though, for real.

G-Fex

Sure! And by "live", I should have specified I meant "acoustic", or at least stripped down. Videos of her performing at festivals are pretty underwhelming, honestly.

I really like this version of Starry Eyed on what looks like German TV.

Her other major hit, Lights, gets another decent acoustic performance on BBC Radio 2. Some vocal issues, but I like the arrangement overall.

I posted this a few pages back, but I really enjoyed her cover of The Knife's Heartbeats on BBC Radio 1.

And this is a bit odd if you were subjected to the months of torture that was Rihanna's Only Song (On the Radio). I don't know if it's "good", but it's definitely interesting.

And I wasn't kidding about you being here! I can even forgive some shitty taste elsewhere, we just need all the Robyn love we can get right now.

Oh my, I like this girl. Very lovely songs here. Starry eyed is nice.

Delio

Because I don't post nearly as much. 1D stuffs!

s640x480

Looks like Justin bieber wants to collab with 1D one their next album. Not sure how I feel about that or the melding of fandoms the song brings but whatevs right.

One Direction Up All Night House Party

Also Kyon sis come back soon I'll be waiting for you.

rPj6v.gif

Majmun

I just can't get into Marina and the Diamonds. She sounds too much like Kateww Parry to me. I can't unhear it.

And what's up with the archetypes alter ego?

WjGSk.gif

Switters

I assure you my tastes are quite refined - my only guilty pleasure being Perfume, which I will freely admit to. I also tend to gravitate towards pop that is performed by people involved in the songwriting from the ground up.

Thanks for those links. Ellie is such a subtle vocalist, I feel like she could belt it out if she wanted to, but she's found this unique little niche where she doesn't really sound like anyone contemporary.
I get chills whenever her voice breaks, kind in the same way that KT Tunstall's voice does. I don't know, it sounds sexy and vulnerable. Mumei probably has a name for it. ;)

This is the live recording that really hooked me on Ellie.
Guns and Horses live int he stuido

I will try savy up my gif-fu if this is to be my home.

Switters

St. Robyn still loves you gif

Stealing this. Sincerely, I am flattered. Thanks guys.

Robyn
Sia
Ellie
Annie
Bjork
Grimes (I know, not pop yet)
Young Mariah
Young Janet
80's to mid 90's Madge
Winehouse
Some L Allen
and Fiona Fucking Apple

Those are the big influential ones for me, though I would be entirely remiss if I didn't mention Aimee Mann as being the biggest.

There's also dudes, do we talk about dudes here? I don't mean 1D children. I mean men who craft exquisite pop.

Mumei

I get chills whenever her voice breaks, kind in the same way that KT Tunstall's voice does. I don't know, it sounds sexy and vulnerable. Mumei probably has a name for it. ;)

Nope!

It probably does have a name, though I'm not *that* educated in terms that describe particular phenomenons. For all I know it isn't actually a proper thing with a fancy-pants Italian name, but it's actually something she's doing that would indicate a problem if she were singing in classical repertoire, but works in this genre.

I know the sort of breaking you're talking about, though!

Stealing this. Sincerely, I am flattered. Thanks guys.

Robyn
Sia
Ellie
Annie
Bjork
Grimes (I know, not pop yet)
Young Mariah
Young Janet
80's to mid 90's Madge
Winehouse
Some L Allen
and Fiona Fucking Apple

Those are the big influential ones for me, though I would be entirely remiss if I didn't mention Aimee Mann as being the biggest.

That list is pretty fantastic. You should show up to the plug.dj/pop-gaf room sometime and play some of your favorites. We get plenty of some of those mostly 80 - 90s Madonna and Robyn, and Mariah below them, but the rest are pretty sorely underrepresented.

Who are your favorite male and female singers, without limiting it to pop?

There's also dudes, do we talk about dudes here? I don't mean 1D children. I mean men who craft exquisite pop.

On occasion, though there's something of a dearth of great male pop vocalists these days.

Most of my favorite male vocalists are more in the rock or opera wheelhouses than pop, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom