• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.plug.dj/pop-gaf/

3AQmK.gif

botty

Banned
That two-disk Mariah Carey Essentials CD is out. I think I might have to get it...

tumblr_ldi6lpwsZf1qetg32o1_400.gif

SAME WAVELENGTH.

Before I even clicked the link I saw what you wrote and immediately thought of the commercials she did for Logo. The sunglasses, the fierce posing, stating Grace Jones as one of her muses...it was the moment I fell in love with Gaga.

She has fallen so far from that it's not even funny.

tumblr_m3sfr8da6c1rvspdmo1_500.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
SAME WAVELENGTH.

Before I even clicked the link I saw what you wrote and immediately thought of the commercials she did for Logo. The sunglasses, the fierce posing, stating Grace Jones as one of her muses...it was the moment I fell in love with Gaga.

She has fallen so far from that it's not even funny.

oh please, fallen so far that now she is selling out stadiums and respected by the music industry, save your Fame era teas for the basic acts like Kunty Perra

Gurrrrlll
its 2AM ;_;

royalan

oh please, fallen so far that now she is selling out stadiums and respected by the music industry, save your Fame era teas for the basic acts like Kunty Perra

Hmmm, because no other artist has EVER sold out to greater fame and record sales. NEVER in the history of EVER.

Fame era Gaga = Purest Gaga

Mau ®

Jay from The Wanted on Godney and Rudetina:

Just to clarify, we have nothing but love for Britney, she totally charmed us when we met her, & maybe her security did make @SivaTheWanted face a wall, but I would have, he has a creepy look in his eye that boy. My view on Xtina's special type of manners hasn't changed.

Could it be more clear Xtincta is a TACTLESS SHREW?
brit12.gif

The tea has been served and it's full of HONESTY infusion
brit12.gif

royalan

Jay from The Wanted on Godney and Rudetina:

Could it be more clear Xtincta is a TACTLESS SHREW?
brit12.gif

The tea has been served and it's full of HONESTY infusion
brit12.gif

Does nobody see the grand irony here? That these flops going around blasting Christina to EVERY media source that'll listen (maybe because NOBODY is here for their music) makes them ruder bitches than Christina allegedly ignoring them backstage and off-camera. Meanwhile, Christina has yet to even comment.

Not here for this misogynist, Boys-Club tea.

The other irony: A RIHcist stan coming at ANYBODY'S fave for being rude. Maybe you should worry less about other people's attitudes and organize a grassroots effort to get your fave to log her ass off of twitter once in a while and rinse her mouth out from the several feet that have been placed in it. Amongst other things...

Not here for this Premium Pot vs. Kettle Black tea, either.

botty

Banned
Jay from The Wanted on Godney and Rudetina.

The Wanted haven't and won't be in the game long enough for their opinion to ever matter.

tumblr_lr4y3yN74L1r2hybuo1_500.gif

The other irony: A RIHcist stan coming at ANYBODY'S fave for being rude. Maybe you should worry less about other people's attitudes and organize a grassroots effort to get your fave to log her ass off of twitter once in a while and rinse her mouth out from the several feet that have been placed in it. Amongst other things...

tumblr_llbqylAAtN1qddfro.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MS MR, "Hurricane" is wonderful. They're supporting Marina on the US tour, so nice exposure there.

hliqz.jpg

Zowie's debut album is streaming in full on Soundcloud. Some really solid tracks on this, like "Bang Bangs," "Idiotize," "Treat Me Like I'm Software" and "Sugar Cone."

VrVGq.jpg

[edit] Okay, I keep listening to this more and more. Nearly everything on here is great fun! Thanks, oddly-shaped-New-Zealand-Demi-Moore pop star!

Hanging out with Terry Richardson, a disgusting and vile person. PURE GAGA.

botty

Banned
It's just a shame that she flopped and ballooned.
pStsR.gif

Bionic is the only blemish in what is otherwise a legendary career. xtina is an authority in vocals, and there are only a few girls who would even try her. Her weight started fluctuating after she turned 30 and had a child... which is common for someone who isn't starving themselves because their career depends on an image, and not talent.

Majmun

Bionic is the only blemish in what is otherwise a legendary career. xtina is an authority in vocals, and there are only a few girls who would even try her. Her weight started fluctuating after she turned 30 and had a child... which is common for someone who isn't starving themselves because their career depends on an image, and not talent.

While I like to listen to her studio recordings, I do think that she oversings when she's singing live. Not a fan of her belting.

I'd say only Mariah does oversinging well. Because her voice is more versatile. Not even Queenyonce can top Mariah.

But Xtina definitely can sing (when she's in control)

royalan

I see you picking that studio version.

iPicog0o4FRse.gif

And? I still think she slayed that live performance, even with it documented that she was sick and having visible issues with her earpiece.

YASSS SIS!

B9xLc.gif

botty

Banned
Not even Queenyonce can top Mariah.

I'm not trying to shade B, but her vocal prowess is based on years of coaching and practice, but not raw talent. However, that's why she is probably the hardest working girl in the biz. I would deem her THE authority in terms of choreography.

Trigger

Talented, but an authority? Her technique is terrible. Bionic was the curtain call on star who's time is up. She was great her prime, but can she still keep up? I don't believe she's got the ability to make #1 albums or big tours anymore. Fall 2012 (or whenever the next album drops) will be interesting.

Majmun

I'm not trying to shade B, but her vocal prowess is based on years of coaching and practice, but not raw talent. However, that's why she is probably the hardest working girl in the biz. I would deem her THE authority in terms of choreography.

Bee's practice when she was basically a child: singing her lungs out while sprinting on high heels. She did that every day.
I saw that in a documentary about her. Shit was crazy.

But that basically explains her superior voice control while doing crazy choreo.

My girl is such a pro

SRynR.gif

botty

Banned
Talented, but an authority? Her technique is terrible. Bionic was the curtain call on star who's time is up. She was great her prime, but can she still keep up? I don't believe she's got the ability to make #1 albums or big tours anymore. Fall 2012 (or whenever the next album drops) will be interesting.

That's what they said about this eternal diva goddess

tumblr_lf715oIkY61qfzf2to1_400.gif

royalan

Let me pause a moment as I shed a single tear.

What is that fail video supposed to prove? It's not even trying to be an objective opinion on her vocals (as with most of these videos, honestly). Instead choosing to focus on one aspect of her singing when Christina has many, many vocal weapons at her disposal. Honestly, I closed the window when it got to the "Clarity" segment and it was still more of the same stale shade. Xtina's vocals in her comfort range are some of the clearest and most versatile in the industry. Period.

Honestly, most of the videos really only serve to demonstrate how much their makers DON'T know about singing.

botty

Banned
What is that fail video supposed to prove? It's not even trying to be an objective opinion on her vocals (as with most of these videos, honestly). Instead choosing to focus on one aspect of her singing when Christina has many, many vocal weapons at her disposal. Honestly, I closed the window when it got to the "Clarity" segment and it was still more of the same stale shade. Xtina's vocals in her comfort range are some of the clearest and most versatile in the industry. Period.

Honestly, most of the videos really only serve to demonstrate how much their makers DON'T know about singing.

It's not even sunday, and you're taking them to church.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

Mumei

Christina's vocals in her comfort range are great. Too bad that A) she almost never stays in that range and B) she doesn't have a very extensive comfortable range.

And I'm not impressed by Christina's versatility when it has long since been clear that it is an exercise in seeing how many different genres she can show the same bad habits in. The way you talk about her, I would expect when I listen to her to hear someone like Beyonce, but with a better natural voice. And she could be - or could have been - that singer. But she's not.

The movie or soundtrack? Because at least the soundtrack had lover boy for some redemption.

I meant "as an era in her career"

royalan

Christina's vocals in her comfort range are great. Too bad that A) she almost never stays in that range and B) she doesn't have a very extensive comfortable range.

And I'm not impressed by Christina's versatility when it has long since been clear that it is an exercise in seeing how many different genres she can show the same bad habits in. The way you talk about her, I would expect when I listen to her to hear someone like Beyonce, but with a better natural voice. And she could be - or could have been - that singer. But she's not.

I think she stays well within her range in that Voice performance, as well as here. And she's still hella impressive, especially compared to the filth clogging up the radio waves these days.

And as good as Beyonce is vocally, I personally don't consider her to be a very versatile singer. Not with that tone and poor enunciation.

Mumei

And she's still hella impressive, especially compared to the filth clogging up the radio waves these days.

Well, yes.

She's not being compared to the filth on the radio, though; she's being compared to the "Voice Of Her Generation" standards that her stans themselves have set up for her.

But I thought I'd take a break from being mean to Christina to share this gem:

(2:37:27 PM) Kabouter: I'm wondering, what's the worst cover of a good/great song, eliminating fringe records/amateur youtube recordings and the like
(2:37:34 PM) Kabouter: And no samples, actual covers
(2:37:49 PM) Kabouter: (Otherwise we might as well go straight into like Rihanna records and shit)

Look at that true tea. Look at it.

Koodo

Banned
Every time someone compares the Precaution Booklet On How Not To Struggle with Mariah Carey, I feel as if Monroe and Moroccan shed a tear. It's just inappropriate, if not offensive.

Mariah had the world before fading; acclaim, sales, records, influence. Xtincta has only known struggles. Perennially a runner up in every way someone can be a runner up.

Mariah only needed to be Mariah to make a return. Xtincta is much like Brandy; facing a severe lack in DEMAND.

Trigger

Rihann's sampled lots of artists and isn't afraid of scraping the bottom of the barrel

Koodo said:
Every time someone compares the Precaution Booklet On How Not To Struggle with Mariah Carey, I feel as if Monroe and Moroccan shed a tear. It's just inappropriate, if not offensive.

Mariah had the world before fading; acclaim, sales, influence. Xtincta has only known struggles. Perennially a runner up in every way someone can be a runner up.

Mariah only needed to be Mariah to make a return. Xtincta is much like Brandy; facing a severe lack in DEMAND.

MScS7.gif

royalan

Well, yes.

She's not being compared to the filth on the radio, though; she's being compared to the "Voice Of Her Generation" standards that her stans themselves have set up for her.

I can't speak for every Christina stan, but I've always thought the label "Voice Of Her Generation" was regarding more than just pure vocal range - but overall vocal capability, vocal style, music, age, popularity, etc...

I mean, I grew up on Rhythm and Blues, so I'm well aware that there have always been better singers than Christina on a technical level, but considering the complete criteria I just listed, for the longest time "The Voice" moniker was a fitting one. She debuted at the hype of the teeny-bopper Pop explosion of the early noughties (and while Beyonce was still busy asking for men to pay her "Bills Bills Bills" with her backup singers) and single-handedly made vocals important in Pop music again. Nobody can lay claim to that feat but her. So, symbolically, she is The Voice of Her Generation.

I mean, and it's not just Christina. It wasn't vocals alone that made, for example, Whitney Houston the voice of her (read: any) generation - because even in her day there were singers who were just as good or maybe even better, and would continue to sing phenomenally for years after Whitney's vocals would irreparably decline. It was a combination of all the things I listed above that earned Whitney the throne.

But I thought I'd take a break from being mean to Christina to share this gem:

(2:37:27 PM) Kabouter: I'm wondering, what's the worst cover of a good/great song, eliminating fringe records/amateur youtube recordings and the like
(2:37:34 PM) Kabouter: And no samples, actual covers
(2:37:49 PM) Kabouter: (Otherwise we might as well go straight into like Rihanna records and shit)

Look at that true tea. Look at it.

Who is Kabouter?

Mariah had the world before fading; acclaim, sales, records, influence. Xtincta has only known struggles. Perennially a runner up in every way someone can be a runner up.

Yeah, holding up that Best New Artist Grammy all night for paparazzi photos must have been a struggle...

Majmun

One grammy?

QdItc.gif

#realstruggle

While Christina sang about rubbing her vag the right way, Bee sang about Independent Women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom