• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
we live on a moblin

right at the top

there's a beautiful view

from the top of the moblin

every morning i walk towards the edge

and throw little things off

like: car-parts, bottles and cutlery

or whatever i find lying around

it's become a habit

a way

to start the day

Other winners of this DISTINGUISHED award:

Amy Winehouse
Milli Vanilli
Toni Braxton

Is this supposed to be shade?

If so, it's not working.

vo4i2.gif

royalan

Other winners of this DISTINGUISHED award:

Amy Winehouse
Milli Vanilli
Toni Braxton

...I'm confused. I mean, it seems like you're shading, but then you mention Amy Winehouse and Toni Braxton - two phenomenal artists whose debuts were completely deserving of the award. Only a fool would shade "Toni Braxton" and "Back to Black"

I liked Milli Vanilli too

DMeisterJ

Banned
But I thought I'd take a break from being mean to Christina to share this gem:

(2:37:27 PM) Kabouter: I'm wondering, what's the worst cover of a good/great song, eliminating fringe records/amateur youtube recordings and the like
(2:37:34 PM) Kabouter: And no samples, actual covers
(2:37:49 PM) Kabouter: (Otherwise we might as well go straight into like Rihanna records and shit)

Look at that true tea. Look at it.

Kabouter is now my least favorite mod.

One grammy?

http://i.imgur.com/QdItc.gif[IMG]

#realstruggle

While Christina sang about rubbing her vag the right way, Bee sang about Independent Women.[/QUOTE]

I literally had no idea that the song was about that.

Trigger

Toni isn't even the centerpiece of the show despite being the most successful person on the show (and the only reason it exists).

#truestruggles

royalan

While Christina sang about rubbing her vag the right way, Bee sang about Independent Women.

Second(-rate) try.

Beyonce did indeed sing about Independent Women. She also sang about this:

Shakin' that thing on a man
Lookin' all stanky-nasty
Swore you look cute, girl in them dukes
Booty all out lookin trashy
Sleazy put some clothes on, I told ya
Don't walk out ya heezy without clothes on, I told ya.

So what happened, boo?

Relevant Screens:

dHvZ9.png

qUNU7.png

Tsk tsk tsk...
rP8Aj.gif

So here's what I'm gonna need you to do:

Upload some shirtless pictures of yourself sipping this sweet tea vodka I just served. Thank you!

Majmun

But my dear royalan, that song is made for slutty choreo. Bee's amazing sexy performance fits well within the context.

I'm sure even a benefit song about starving children wouldn't stop Rihanna or Brtiney from having raunchy choreo. But not Bee.

But nice try

FqHJn.gif

Mumei

I can't speak for every Christina stan, but I've always thought the label "Voice Of Her Generation" was regarding more than just pure vocal range - but overall vocal capability, vocal style, music, age, popularity, etc...

Well that's just it. I think that Christina's overall range (about four octaves!), the natural size and weight of her voice, the essential mezzo-ish warmth it has, and her power are qualities which could make one think of her as The Voice of Her Generation. And I would agree that those things certainly could have contributed towards her getting that title. But what I don't agree with is the idea that her vocal capabilities or vocal style should contribute to that notion. Have you forgotten about performances like this? Or this? That's the sort of thing I think of when someone says "Christina's vocal style." I think of pointless, random runs that are just there to be there and don't lead anywhere. I think of random interjections and hoos and hahs. I don't think of stuff that makes the performance better for it. Yeah, Beyonce had similarly tasteless renditions of classics, but she's mostly grown out of it. And I don't get the idea that Beyonce isn't versatile. I mean, yeah, I get the complaints about her tone or enunciation (And very clever of you to conveniently choose complaints about Beyonce that you know I also have issues with; I see you tailoring your argument to me), but I think she's proven at this point that she's capable of singing in a variety of styles and she's just as capable with her voice (and frankly uses it more intelligently) as Christina is.

She debuted at the hype of the teeny-bopper Pop explosion of the early noughties (and while Beyonce was still busy asking for men to pay her "Bills Bills Bills" with her backup singers) and single-handedly made vocals important in Pop music again. Nobody can lay claim to that feat but her. So, symbolically, she is The Voice of Her Generation.

I'll give her this, though. She did put the spotlight back on vocals, even if I don't think she was the best of her generation.

I mean, and it's not just Christina. It wasn't vocals alone that made, for example, Whitney Houston the voice of her (read: any) generation - because even in her day there were singers who were just as good or maybe even better, and would continue to sing phenomenally for years after Whitney's vocals would irreparably decline. It was a combination of all the things I listed above that earned Whitney the throne.

I agree. But I think Whitney had all of those qualities. I just don't think the same of Christina, and I generally find myself unimpressed by a lot of the stuff (Porgy & Bess, DWTS performance) that you point out as some of Christina's more impressive stuff.

Who is Kabouter?

Kab is a mod who knows that Rihanna stans are joke tier:

(5:34:15 PM) Kabouter: lol @ responses to you quoting me in the pop thread by the way
(5:34:23 PM) Kabouter: One guy not knowing who I am, and another saying I'm his least favourite mod
(5:35:17 PM) Mumei: Well
(5:35:28 PM) Mumei: You are his least favourite mod now because you were being shady towards Rihanna
(5:35:35 PM) Mumei: and he stans for Rihanna
(5:35:42 PM) Mumei: So your insults make him pressed
(5:37:33 PM) Kabouter: lol
(5:37:46 PM) Kabouter: Rihanna fans, psssh

Every time someone compares the Precaution Booklet On How Not To Struggle with Mariah Carey, I feel as if Monroe and Moroccan shed a tear. It's just inappropriate, if not offensive.

Mariah had the world before fading; acclaim, sales, records, influence. Xtincta has only known struggles. Perennially a runner up in every way someone can be a runner up.

Mariah only needed to be Mariah to make a return. Xtincta is much like Brandy; facing a severe lack in DEMAND.

Incidentally, one of the most amusing things to me is people who say "Well we all know what came after Glitter."

Did these people forget that Charmbracelet came after Glitter? I fear for Christina if that's the next stage for her.

royalan

Well that's just it. I think that Christina's overall range (about four octaves!), the natural size and weight of her voice, the essential mezzo-ish warmth it has, and her power are qualities which could make one think of her as The Voice of Her Generation. And I would agree that those things certainly could have contributed towards her getting that title. But what I don't agree with is the idea that her vocal capabilities or vocal style should contribute to that notion. Have you forgotten about performances like this? Or this? That's the sort of thing I think of when someone says "Christina's vocal style." I think of pointless, random runs that are just there to be there and don't lead anywhere. I think of random interjections and hoos and hahs. I don't think of stuff that makes the performance better for it. Yeah, Beyonce had similarly tasteless renditions of classics, but she's mostly grown out of it.

But see, I also think Christina's grown out of a lot of her younger tendencies. Even if her range was more "intact" back in her younger days, I don't think she had the maturity back then to perform songs like "I Love You, Porgy" or "The Prayer".

Also, in regards the "I Love You, Porgy", you may not like it or be impressed, but you can't deny it's a technically good performance. Because it is, and I always link that particular performance because it demonstrates that Xtina is more than capable of performing in a way that most people don't like to give her credit for. Her vocals are restrained and subtle; feather-light yet clear and perfectly controlled. And except for maybe the very end her phrasing choices are conservative and not at all indulgent. Bias aside it really is a perfect rendition of that song, comparable to the greats that sang it before her.

(And very clever of you to conveniently choose complaints about Beyonce that you know I also have issues with; I see you tailoring your argument to me)

<3<3<3

but I think she's proven at this point that she's capable of singing in a variety of styles and she's just as capable with her voice (and frankly uses it more intelligently) as Christina is.

Ahem. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but this is where I have to implore you to listen to more of Christina's music - specifically her album tracks. Watching all those haterade vids that focus solely on Christina's growling belts can be very deceptive. Christina is a surprisingly full-featured vocalist, and there are countless songs in her library that I don't think Beyonce could ever do justice. Not because Beyonce doesn't have the range, but because she is so heavy-handed and uncreative vocally that I don't think she could keep up. I mean, for as much as Christina's known to sledgehammer songs, she can also ride a melody like a gentle wave. Beyonce doesn't know that kind of subtlety (and when she tries it comes off as forced and disconnected).

Incidentally, one of the most amusing things to me is people who say "Well we all know what came after Glitter."

Did these people forget that Charmbracelet came after Glitter? I fear for Christina if that's the next stage for her.

Hey, I liked Charmbracelet. ;_;

Sure, it didn't make much sense as an album and lacked any of Mimi's trademark big moments...but there was something about it I found to be very endearing.

"I'm not going to let you play me. Bells jingle; Mariah writes singles. I song-write, I write music."

Mau ®

Let's all welcome our new POP OVERLORD
5kls2f.jpg

CARLY RAE JEPSEN - Call Me Maybe: 69.186 (+ 3.197) &#9650;

#2 on itunes and getting 3M updates. Hopefully it takes Gotye downE
+wtf+.gif

I wouldnt mind if she cockblocks Rihanna. I wont hate. Im stanning ha. I might even like her on Facebook.

Mumei

Hah! I knew that was intentional.

See, I don't really think that's in the same category. That's closer to Mariah doing this than it is to Christina doing "random note after random note with Yeahs! and Hoos! interjected at random points.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but this is where I have to implore you to listen to more of Christina's music - specifically her album tracks. Watching all those haterade vids that focus solely on Christina's growling belts can be very deceptive. Christina is a surprisingly full-featured vocalist, and there are countless songs in her library that I don't think Beyonce could ever do justice. Not because Beyonce doesn't have the range, but because she is so heavy-handed and uncreative vocally that I don't think she could keep up. I mean, for as much as Christina's known to sledgehammer songs, she can also ride a melody like a gentle wave. Beyonce doesn't know that kind of subtlety (and when she tries it comes off as forced and disconnected).

I will take you up on your offer. Next time you're up for it, let's go to plug.dj and you can play me stuff~

Hey, I liked Charmbracelet. ;_;

Sure, it didn't make much sense as an album and lacked any of Mimi's trademark big moments...but there was something about it I found to be very endearing.

"I'm not going to let you play me. Bells jingle; Mariah writes singles. I song-write, I write music."

Oh, I enjoyed parts of Charmbracelet as well (not least for the massive improvement in her live vocals over Butterfly and Rainbow (aka Lip-Sync Almost Every Song) eras, but a comeback album, it was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom