• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sai-kun said:
Wikipedia is wrong on every count except for that last one, I think.

I wish I could describe pop music, but I really can't. Listen to some of our recommended artists and singles though, and I think you'll hear what it's about.

You can like anything in this thread and not be that. We only call each other that because of our various affiliations with GayGAF and because it's a kinda funny nickname for each other ;p

Will do, I always like listening to new music, even if I end up hating the music itself.

Yoshiya

This thread needs Austra.

3dSYM.jpg

Lose It
The Choke
Beat and the Pulse

Sai-kun

Banned
Secks4Food said:
Will do, I always like listening to new music, even if I end up hating the music itself.

Awesome! I'm very happy that you're giving it a shot. Honestly, I'd say listen to at least a track or two from all the folks up there. Britney Spears is not all there is to pop music.

Cyport

Pop! <3
Need more male artist recognition here though.
Will Young
Take That + Robbie
The Wanted
Bunch of X Factor people (Olly Murs, JLS, One Direction)

Also where's Kylie??

Vote for unknown fave goes to iamamiwhoami

Kyon

Banned
DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAD @ no one coming in to point out the fact that Ke$ha isnt in the banner.

the ULTIMATE shade

tumblr_llqfzoqPDC1qzc0gco1_500.gif

Kyon

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
*Attaches wig firmly to scalp, stans for Cisus*

concietedc_1.gif

ch..... i am a HUGE Cici stan, i keep to myself about it tho cause she's underrated, and her label is a mess.

But Cisus still slay

tumblr_lfv66pgqpZ1qfd7yzo1_500.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That gif is hilarious because of the low frames.

Chris Brown and Ciara need to just do nothing but dance in a music video, it'd be awesome.

Kyon said:
ch..... i am a HUGE Cici stan, i keep to myself about it tho cause she's underrated, and her label is a mess.

But Cisus still slay
She's always been a bit ahead of her time, but later overshadowed when her formula is copied by other more 'polished' artists like Beyawnce or whomever.

But now that she has a new label and new management, Super Ci shall lead

amvdc5.gif

And the other gerls shall try to follow

2qmkokn.jpg

Koodo

Banned
Cyport said:
Pop! <3
Need more male artist recognition here though.
Will Young
Take That + Robbie
The Wanted
Bunch of X Factor people (Olly Murs, JLS, One Direction)

Also where's Kylie??

Vote for unknown fave goes to iamamiwhoami
Certainly, it's just easy to forget about the males since they haven't been making that much headlines in recent years. I say we are in dire need of someone like David Bowie to challenge gender expectations and create controversy, as the women are really the only ones taking risks nowadays (in the mainstream, at least).

But LINK LINK LINK! Share their works!

And RE: Kylie, I have to admit we all forgot about her lmao. That being said, space is limited, we can't put everyone!

Lahv "All The Lovers" from her latest effort though.

Plywood said:
Oh, this girl.
11uyi4o.jpg

Well, I guess we'll have no choice but to shove her in the OP if there's enough fanfare.

*cricket cricket*

Kyon said:
DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAD @ no one coming in to point out the fact that Ke$ha isnt in the banner.

the ULTIMATE shade
Sorry, we couldn't find her.

20110830-rdqchd94bjdetwgkq6ptpr565b.png

Kyon

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
She's always been a bit ahead of her time, but later overshadowed when her formula is copied by other more 'polished' artists like Beyawnce or whomever.

But now that she has a new label and new management, Super Ci shall lead

ciarawow.gif

wait its been 2 months since i talked to some Ci stans about the rumor she signed with that one label. is it confirmed? cuz now im dead

Koodo said:
there's enough fanfare.

*cricket cricket*

Sorry, we couldn't find her.

20110830-rdqchd94bjdetwgkq6ptpr565b.png

kLIcq.gif

Cyport

Koodo said:
Certainly, it's just easy to forget about the males since they haven't been making that much headlines in recent years. I say we are in dire need of someone like David Bowie to challenge gender expectations and create controversy, as the women are really the only ones taking risks nowadays (in the mainstream, at least).

But LINK LINK LINK! Share their works!

A modern day David Bowie would be amazing to see how he does in the current chart. Ziggy Stardust mmm.
Thinking about it I can't really pick out any male artist who stands out apart from one who is challenging gender expectations,
Bieber

Another nominee for the lesser known act I have to put forward is the duo Hurts.

Mush

Monocle

Have we talked about Mika yet? 1 2 He may not be as pop as some of the other artists who have been posted in this thread, but nobody's perfect.

Peru

RD (I liked 'Ruff Diamondz' better) are great - "Got Me Burnin'" was written by the wonderful Katy B.

This is probably LTTP, but I only just found out that Ke$ha of all people actually wrote the most epic dance jam of the year (Till The World Ends) and my mind is just completely blown to smithereens. This HBIC is now granted immortality and imperviousness to any sort of scrutiny for the rest of eternity. Mozart salutes thee, my Queen.

tumblr_lpiqvlOkdE1qm1qiwo1_250.gif

So Mr. Know it All is being sent to radio today! How fitting that this thread is launched the day the Stronger era kicks off. It's been a longggg wait. I'll write my thoughts on the song later I guess.

Anyways, I also think we need more male representation in this thread. Equal opportunity, and all that. I really like Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People, but I think I like some other songs on their album even more, like Houdini and Helena Beat. I don't know if they'll be able to break out of the one-hit wonder status, but I think they've got the right material to do well.

Delio

Crumpet Trumpet said:
So Mr. Know it All is being sent to radio today! How fitting that this thread is launched the day the Stronger era kicks off. It's been a longggg wait. I'll write my thoughts on the song later I guess.

Anyways, I also think we need more male representation in this thread. Equal opportunity, and all that. I really like Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People, but I think I like some other songs on their album even more, like Houdini and Helena Beat. I don't know if they'll be able to break out of the one-hit wonder status, but I think they've got the right material to do well.

Funny i dont know whats hot in male pop right now. Who are the "Kings of pop" now?

Oozer3993

Thia thread is suffering from a severe JoJo deficiency. Let me fix that.

That's her new single, Disaster, that just dropped yesterday. It's her first official single in almost 5 years, off her new album Jumping Trains, due out soon.

Delio said:
I do like some Ne-Yo stuff and Jason. And yeah never hear of that Shane guy..i guess bieber is pop as well right?
He is just someone I threw in to be a little bit less US-centric (though I suppose Enrique, Jay and Taio account for that as well). There's a lot of great pop being made in the UK and Scandinavia that deserves more attention.

But in terms of global pop-culture relevance and the kind of pop this thread is mostly about (so not like Michael Bublé or Bruno Mars or something), the current Kings are probably Jesustin, Breezy and Usher. And Ne-Yo and Enrique are certainly forces to be reckoned with.

Kyon

Banned
Chris Brown is the only man relevant in Pop right now. Oh and the Biebs. They're talented especially my man Chris T__T I love you baby! *hoodrat voice*

Koodo

Banned
Half the links on this page are not available in my country. Xenophobia tbh.
a9mn9x.jpg

Oozer3993 said:
That's kinda basic and generic for a comeback not gonna lie. Oh, LoJo.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
btw gerls, if you want the work of an artist featured in the OP, please:

1. State which section (mainstream albums, lesser known albums, singles, upcoming acts, etc.)
2. Provide links to music, or an album cover (if applying for the album section)

lmao at the word applying, how official

That'd be very lovely and helpful!

vxd8bt.jpg

Peru

The unfortunate thing with Jo Jos comeback is it just can't match her version of Marvin's Room. Still a tune, though.

RnB singer/songwriter who's gone and done a series of amazing things this year: Jhene Aiko http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zblsecI4BA

Kyon said:
Chris Brown is the only man relevant in Pop right now. Oh and the Biebs. They're talented especially my man Chris T__T I love you baby! *hoodrat voice*

Chris is such a disgusting human being on every level. Can seriously not even look at him without feeling uncomfortable.

Peru

Well I just can't block out who he is, especially when his lyrics are the way they are. Did like him before, though.

Oozer3993 said:

That's her new single, Disaster, that just dropped yesterday. It's her first official single in almost 5 years, off her new album Jumping Trains, due out soon.
Aw I miss Jojo. I really liked that song from her mixtape, In the Dark. Such a jam imo, plus the guy in the video is muy caliente

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom