• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
LESS THAN 100 POSTS LEFT GURLS!

EuFG8.jpg

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
IRONICALLY. I actually cleaned up my playlists and removed them today *.*

There's also Pitbull, will.i.am, JAY SEAN, Will Young, Timomatic, Train, Matt Corby and Chris Brown, as well as any IDOL, XFACTOR or VOICE rejects that may be POLLUTING the airwaves in their respective countries

We need JT to save us

tumblr_m79al65G1M1qdmb8eo4_r1_250.gif

So GAF, I was wondering earlier today which of our faves had the best hit track record. I knew Rihanna would probably win the numbers game, but I wanted to factor in the amount of time the artist had been on the scene. That way we can compare their chart success more effectively. (**EDITED FOR ACCURACY**)

TOP 10 HITS (US)

1) Rihanna - 18 hits over 7 years (2005-2012)
2) Beyonce - 12 hits over 8 years (2003-2011)
3) Katy Perry - 11 hits over 4 years (2008-2012)
4) Lady Gaga - 11 hits over 3 years (2008-2011)
5) Britney Spears - 11 hits over 12 years (1999-2011)
6) Christina Aguilera - 7 over 11 years (1999-2010)

PERFORMANCE QUOTIENT (How many top 10 hits per year?)

1) Lady Gaga - 3.66
2) Katy Perry - 2.75
3) Rihanna - 2.57
4) Beyonce - 1.5
5) Britney Spears - 0.91
6) Christina Aguilera - 0.63

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NUMBER ONE HITS (US)

1) Rihanna - 9
1) Katy Perry - 7
3) Beyonce - 5
4) Britney Spears - 4
5) Christina Aguilera - 3
6) Lady Gaga - 3

PERFORMANCE QUOTIENT (How many number one hits per year?)

1) Katy Perry - 1.75
2) Rihanna - 1.28
3) Lady Gaga - 1
4) Beyonce - 0.62
5) Britney Spears - 0.33
6) Christina Aguilera - 0.27

So WHO IS THE CURRENT SINGLES QUEEN?

1) Lady Gaga - 4.66
2) Katy Perry - 4.5
3) Rihanna - 3.85
4) Beyonce - 2.12
5) Britney Spears - 1.24
6) Christina Aguilera - 0.9

DMeisterJ

Banned
not by herself tho

tumblr_m79al65G1M1qdmb8eo2_250.gif

Is he not counting ones where she is featured (LTWYL, Life Your Life), or is he also not counting ones where she features an artist (Umbrella, S&M, What's my Name?, WFL), cause the former, I would get, but the latter I wouldn't.

Taking out LTWYL and LYL gives her 9 #1s which means his math still fails.

ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif

devilru

Neo Member
There's also Pitbull, will.i.am, JAY SEAN, Will Young, Timomatic, Train, Matt Corby and Chris Brown, as well as any IDOL, XFACTOR or VOICE rejects that may be POLLUTING the airwaves in their respective countries
Is there a dubstep edition of Brother I don't know about? Don't lump him in with that filth ;)

I guess there's a reason why the British dump their nuclear waste in Australia.

pffft, Ya'll loved Just Dance. My first exposure to her was from watching her perform on Rove Live and to my amazement she actually sang (in tune) and did some karate robot dance moves while wearing LCD screen glasses, Just Dance is how everyone got in to Gaga and the dance style pop meshed well with the convicts down under and put her on the map after going no.1 here. ;)

Nemesis_

Is there a dubstep edition of Brother I don't know about? Don't lump him in with that filth ;)

ZvBx0.gif

He is terrible. I hate TRIPLE JJJ MUSIC CULTURE of Australia that likes to LATCH ON to these flop indie acts who have ONE BIG SONG then disappear forever from our charts.

#NewtonFaulkner
#FosterThePeople
#GOTYE
#MumfordAndSons
#BiffyClyro

pffft, Ya'll loved Just Dance. My first exposure to her was from watching her perform on Rove Live and to my amazement she actually sang (in tune) and did some karate robot dance moves while wearing LCD screen glasses, Just Dance is how everyone got in to Gaga and the dance style pop meshed well with the convicts down under and put her on the map after going no.1 here. ;)

^_^

Which STATE are you from devil?

Shall we have a August 2011 - July 1012 PopGAF retrospective:

August 2011

Rihanna-bareface.jpg

September 2011

rihanna-short-hairstyle-with-long-strip-01-699x1023.jpg

October 2011

rihanna-and-chris-bra03ec3.jpg

November 2011

rihanna-500LB_1493827a.jpg

December 2011

15016_Rihanna_shoots_Whats_My_Name_in_NYC_74_122_561lo.jpg

January 2012

rhianna-thuglife-tat.jpg

February 2012

Rihanna-No-make-up.jpg

March 2012

rihanna-doing-coke.jpg

April 2012

rihannaforehead.jpg

May 2012

Rihanna-without-Makeup-Photos.png

June 2012

no-makeup.jpg

July 2012

iEIptkvUPPIKj.GIF

devilru

Neo Member
ZvBx0.gif

He is terrible. I hate TRIPLE JJJ MUSIC CULTURE of Australia that likes to LATCH ON to these flop indie acts who have ONE BIG SONG then disappear forever from our charts.

Which STATE are you from devil?

I know some people don't buy the indie image since he was on Idol which is commercial. Even if his music isn't to taste you gotta admit he has good voice. I do love my dreary drab indie to add some variety after repeat listens to Spears/Madge/etc.
But yeh, stuff like Gotye topping the charts really surprises me, top 40 here is so dance oriented. I'm in Syd, u?

royalan

Probably because, even when they're decent, male acts are so BLAH.

Too many subscribe to male standard of grey, dim and stoic...and GAWD how much more nauseatingly boring can you get than that? Especially in Pop. After listening to some of his music, that's where Aiden falls for me. He's NOT bad...but god he's dull and his music is hollow.

And even when you get fun male (or male fronted) acts, they tend to sequester themselves in such a niche portion of the genre that they pretty much guarantee they'll never be relevant on the main stage (Scissor Sisters, Sam Sparro).

Basically, we need male acts who aren't afraid to be loud and daring and fashion and flamboyant and cutting-edge. Acts who, for all their manliness, aren't afraid to play the game the same way women have HAD to.

We need another Prince.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think you can blame Scissor Sisters for 'sequestering themselves into a niche'. It's more like the great straight public is okay with camp gays but not sexy gays. Look at how their popularity trailed off between putting out funny, campy music and putting out music to dance and fuck to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom