• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

I can't believe Elvis sold that many albums. The Beatles I completely understand. Their music is timeless and influential. I have a hard time coming up with more than 4 or 5 Elvis songs. I think time has been kinder to the Beatles music over Elvis.

Sidenote to what you said (the timeless / influential part), but Elvis is rather underrated as a singer (and frankly his influence as a performer) these days because his style has been so parodied that I think people don't realize that he was actually really good. He's no Jackie Wilson, but the guy had some serious pipes.

And this reminds me of this post. Some of the videos are down now, but since they come from the studio versions it oughtn't be hard to find them.

WaiTTTTTTTTTTT!

KELLEGEND CHRISTSON COVERS GODNEY SPEARS' TILL THE WORLD ENDS

tumblr_lh4zsn8eJc1qzjix8.gif

WHAT KIND OF FLAWLESS.

Delio

Oh my my my.

One Direction have announced a massive show in New York to finish off this amazing year!

Due to overwhelming popular demand, having completely sold out their May/June tour in North America, the band will headline the prestigious Madison Square Garden in New York City on December 3, 2012.

TICKETS WILL GO ON GENERAL SALE AT 5PM EST ON FRIDAY APRIL 6, 2012.

My boys are moving up In the world at a breakneck pace.

VtcLk.gif

Mumei

This might be more up your alley, Mumei ;)

Kelly & Tamyra cover Whitney & Mariah's When You Believe

I'm so jealous I wasn't at this holy concert tonight

Heh. I have actually heard that, though I do like it.

But my favorite Kelly cover of a Mariah song is probably Jesus, Oh What a Wonderful Child. Well not a Mariah song but she's basically doing an inflection-for-inflection cover of Mariah's version. She's done that a few other times.

Unfortunately that version of Jesus, Oh What A Wonderful Child is somewhat marred by Fantasia's cat-in-heat-screeching but Kelly usually drowns her out.

royalan

Oh gosh...*thinks*

I haven't checked for MJB's crispy-fried vocals since...

kpPdX.jpg

Yeah, that's about right.

Notable tracks:

"All That I Can Say"

"Deep Inside"

Then I had a minor resurgence with this guilty pleasure:

"Family Affair"

Everything after that? No mam, can't.

"You are the only person I know who can sing about struggling...WHILE struggling. I mean its gotta be a talent. Just one that nobody wants.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh gosh...*thinks*

I haven't checked for MJB's crispy-fried vocals since...

http://i.imgur.com/kpPdX.jpg[IMG]

Yeah, that's about right.

Notable tracks:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmHxuPXP1M&ob=av2e"]"All That I Can Say" [/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrk4uJHW-Ec&ob=av2e"]"Deep Inside"[/URL]

Then I had a minor resurgence with this guilty pleasure:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znlFu_lemsU&ob=av2e"]"Family Affair"[/URL]

Everything after that? No mam, can't.

[i]"You are the only person I know who can sing about struggling...WHILE struggling. I mean its gotta be a talent. Just one that nobody wants.[/i][/QUOTE]

You weren't checking for Mary during 'The Breathrough' era?

I cannot.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Oh my my my.

One Direction have announced a massive show in New York to finish off this amazing year!

Due to overwhelming popular demand, having completely sold out their May/June tour in North America, the band will headline the prestigious Madison Square Garden in New York City on December 3, 2012.

TICKETS WILL GO ON GENERAL SALE AT 5PM EST ON FRIDAY APRIL 6, 2012.

My boys are moving up In the world at a breakneck pace.

VtcLk.gif

I am so proud of them... I hope one day they make Beiber irrelevant

In some good news: fun. cockblocked Beiber from debuting at #1
let me go listen to We Are Young

royalan

In more "Look Who's Doin Good" news...

Christina Aguilera was spotted out after shooting an episode of The Voice, and it looks like she's getting her body right:

y6JeM.jpg

SvPPg.jpg

#DATSILHOUETTE

#WHATSACHRISTINAHENDRICKS

She's also finally updated her make-up past the Back to Basics/Bionic era:

LVaIa.jpg

#FRESHFACED

#SHELOOKSSOALERTNOSHADE

#FLAWLESS

#YOUKNOWSHESHITTINTHAT

This can only man one thing: A new album era is fast approaching.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The Goat trying the most

The source said: "Her management banned her from reuniting with Chris, but she said she'll do whatever the hell she wants to. Rihanna is rebelling. She says they have been working her too hard and she wants some time to herself. They fear she'll secretly record an album with Brown, just to defy them."

Rihanna recently told Elle Magazine: "When you know you like a guy, or when you've been in love, that's the same feeling you have swimming with sharks. That's the same feeling you have when doing anything daring, risky, spontaneous, or unpredictable. I think having those butterflies is the closest thing to being in love? And when you play it safe, you don't feel anything at all."

A certified mess, dont know why people use

iY02jHhde5GAg.gif

Mau ®

She is going to come and deliver the summer anthem and block any (the)goat that tries it

iDyMXD8M0Ylxn.gif

I'm afraid to break it to you but The Holy Goat has the summer on lock with "Where Have You Been". And she's likely to cockblock your faves after that with a new album.

You can keep trying though, too bad all your shade efforts always come up reductive
So-Hard-rihanna-16561639-23.gif

Koodo

Banned
Whatever will the navy do if Where Have The Hits Been doesn't smash?

I hear The Voice is accepting applications.

i6X4i76OsRsYL.gif

royalan

I'm afraid to break it to you but The Holy Goat has the summer on lock with "Where Have You Been". And she's likely to cockblock your faves after that with a new album.

You can keep trying though, too bad all your shade efforts always come up reductive
So-Hard-rihanna-16561639-23.gif

That track is still getting the single treatment after all this time?

I was checking for it...two months ago.

Mau ®

Whatever will the navy do if Where Have The Hits Been doesn't smash?

The Navy will suffer a little setback but nevertheless there's always album #7 coming soon to mask the flop.

But sis, you know Where Have You Been is unresistable and highly commercial. It will slay.

The Navy will suffer a little setback but nevertheless there's always album #7 coming soon to mask the flop.

But sis, you know Where Have You Been is unresistable and highly commercial. It will slay.

Why are her cretins the "Navy" anyhow? Who decided on such a ridiculous name for a group of 10 year old stans?

Are they all boat people? REFUGEES looking for a BETTER FAVE?

DMeisterJ

Banned
The Goat trying the most

A certified mess, dont know why people use

http://i.minus.com/iY02jHhde5GAg.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

A rumor mixed with a vague quote that may or may not be alluding to Chris Brown is all you have? I thought the cutters would have done a better job spinning this story since they have to spin the flop era that is BTW into something successful.

Remain bothered.

[quote="Koodo, post: 36649468"]Whatever will the navy do if Where Have The Hits Been doesn't smash?

I hear The Voice is accepting applications.

[img]http://i.minus.com/i6X4i76OsRsYL.gif[img][/QUOTE]

The Navy isn't worried about WHYB smashing. It's not competing with WFL, and it has a video unlike #CAKE and TalkThatTalk. I wonder what theh other stans are gonna do [I]when[/I] it smashes. I guess they'll just remain pressed as the reign doesn't let up.

Mau ®

That track is still getting the single treatment after all this time?

I was checking for it...two months ago.

It's cute you're checking on Rihsus. Please keep on doing that.

Regardless, you're a major pop gurl music fan and thus are ahead of the trends. The general public is unaware of what's about to him them
ny16.gif

Mau ®

Why are her cretins the "Navy" anyhow? Who decided on such a ridiculous name for a group of 10 year old stans?

Are they all boat people? REFUGEES looking for a BETTER FAVE?

madonna4.gif

Rihanna baptized us The Navy on her GLORIOUS RATED R track G4L

I will keep it cute with you, being an old person and all, don't want you to suffer a heart attack from all that pressedness
katy3.gif

The song is amazing.

Yeaaah, have to disagree with you on that. It's a very generic song, and that noise that has to pass as a chorus makes my head hurt. Talk about anti-climactic.

She should just move on and bring new music instead. TTT really didn't do anything for me, apart from the song TTT itself. Definitely her worst album since I've really started following her (the GGGB era).

Edit: Oh I forgot We Found Love. That's makes 2 good songs on TTT.

Mau ®

Yeaaah, have to disagree with you on that. It's a very generic song, and that noise that has to pass as a chorus makes my head hurt. Talk about anti-climactic.

She should just move on and bring new music instead. TTT really didn't do anything for me, apart from the song TTT itself. Definitely her worst album since I've really started following her (the GGGB era).

TBH I agree TTT is her weakest effort since I started checking her (GGGB as well).

Well it is thematically relevant, considering she is herself a real-life Jabu Jabu.

(Whaley Clarkson jokes never get old)
ibgRBC4V3vlpRp.gif

Let me just stir some shit up right quick
NcZNv.gif

Setting aside Annie Lennox as a force all her own – an icon so admired by the young Texan, she deliberately channels her in the syncopated sass of “Walk Away” – Clarkson continues to prove that she’s the most purely powerful female rock voice since the wailing heyday of Pat Benatar and Heart’s Ann Wilson. She makes upstarts like Paramore’s Hayley Williams and Evanescence’s Amy Lee sound puny by comparison.
Moreover, she’s fearless in ways modern pop stars who aren’t Lady Gaga rarely dare.
Most, including Gaga, tend to get caught up in production artifice – it’s more important they nail their moves than nuance their performance. (Think Katy Perry or Taylor Swift.) Clarkson’s focus is resolutely on the music. Both her set design and outfits (tight black pants accompanied by an array of sleeveless shirts, most of them spangled and shimmering) ultimately seem like an afterthought.

Clarkson routinely confounded expectations and effortlessly stole songs from others.
She easily bested the considerable pipes of Florence Welch on a rendition of the English siren’s “Heavy in Your Arms” that proved Clarkson could be a goth-metal queen if she wanted to be. She also owned Underwood’s “I Know You Won’t,” heightening its regret by dialing down the histrionics in a superb piano-and-voice version, inserting riveting runs and aching asides that her fellow American Idol champ would never think to indulge.

Said this before and I’m sure there will be reason to say it many times more as the years and albums roll on: Kelly Clarkson is a simply stunning singer, arguably the strongest to be found in any genre.
Céline Dion can hit the same notes but her passion is vapid. Mary J. Blige and Adele have all the passion but nowhere near the same range. Beyoncé and Christina Aguilera and Carrie Underwood have the range but not the versatility. But Clarkson, still not even 30 (she crosses that mark April 24), can do it all: layer fierce belting onto a banging dance jam, take a slice of country glop and make it worthy of Etta James, bring believable soul to disposable fluff and vulnerability to hard-bitten rants, and outdo her peers every time.
NcZNv.gif
NcZNv.gif
NcZNv.gif

I'm on a Kelly high atm. It comes and goes, don't worry

the night’s highlight, a starker arrangement of “Never Again,” from her troubled, much-discussed My December album five years ago. (“Congratulations,” she told fans who cheered when it was mentioned. “You’re the 35 people who bought it.”)
6f8xz.gif

I just listened to Talk That Talk (the song) for the first time based on your praise. It is amazing. And apparently even was a single, why haven't I heard this song ever before? It's on infinte repeat now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom