• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

jonno394

That's not really why the games aren't coming to Switch. Or did X1 and PS4 miss out on lots of big AAA games early in their lives?

Well, late ports didn't set the world on fire with Wii U, so i'm taking a shot (and hoping) that most publishers didn't see the point in porting an older fifa or CoD or Assassins Creed in March, and chose rather work on getting the next iterations out day and date with other consoles.......
/fantasy

EDarkness

Most games that have been announced recently have been in development long before Nintendo even revealed the Switch.

I seriously wonder how long Radiant History for the 3DS has been in development. Doesn't seem like much has changed in the game outside some new art and stuff. They could have ported the game over the NS instead of the 3DS, I think. The game is coming out at the end of June, too. Plenty of time to bring it over. Nothing wrong with it being on the 3DS, but just pointing out that there would have been time to port it over considering when it's getting released.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, late ports didn't set the world on fire with Wii U, so i'm taking a shot (and hoping) that most publishers didn't see the point in porting an older fifa or CoD or Assassins Creed in March, and chose rather work on getting the next iterations out day and date with other consoles.......
/fantasy

Well, actually that's probably the reasoning behind FIFA and NBA 2K18 not at launch, but as the next versions come to the market, I suppose.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's not really why the games aren't coming to Switch. Or did X1 and PS4 miss out on lots of big AAA games early in their lives?
Those games weren't even out early in those consoles lives, that's why we had a bunch of hd remasters early on

What's most baffling to me is that 3DS games like the Yoshi Wooly World port or that Mario sports game didn't get a Switch version.

That picture should be updated because some games were already released. And some games from the Arcade Archives are listed seperately.

It's also missing games that have been announced (and released even-Voez?)

That game could have looked a lot better if the devs kept it in the oven a little longer. Thats the problem though, the deficiencies of the Switch do cause developers to spend a little longer on the ports, and time is money. So in each case, they have to decide whether or not the game would be profitable on Switch when factoring the additional development cost. And we'll find a lot of 3rd parties, just like with Wii U, will decide against porting to the Switch. Not because its impossible due to restraints, but just because it takes a lot of extra time and money to make those adjustments.

Sure, but as you say, time is money. So even if they decide on porting it to the Switch, it won't be as optimized as a first-party game. To be honest, Dragon Quest Heroes looks a bit rushed (first gameplay of Fire Emblem Warriors looked better), but it's still a power problem and you shouldn't expect third-parties to throw tens of millions of dollars more to a Switch port than to a PS/Xbox port for more polishing.

As long as it gets Nintendo games, indies, and Japanese games I'll be more than happy. The portability and hybrid nature of the console is what the console is all about, so anyone expecting large third party AAA games is not dealing with reality.

EDarkness

Yup the fact that publishers aren't even talking about their already announced Switch games is most concerning. Square Enix is about to announce the release date for DQXI on 3DS and PS4 and haven't even acknowledged the Switch version. ;_;

This is one of the biggest bummers for me. I personally want RPGs and more engaging games to play on the system. with how comfortable the joy-cons are, I'm really itching for more games with "meat" on them to show up. I already have Disgaea 5 preordered, but considering the Japanese version has English on it already, why the hell did the game get delayed until June?! Ugh. That game would be all I need to keep me busy since I'm at the end of I Am Setsuna (great game, by the way). Thinking about it, why the hell isn't Rayman even out yet?

My main point is that if the system isn't getting new game announcements, then how about they just release some new stuff for the games that have already been announced?

SephLuis

My impressions are similar even before the Switch launched. As expected, there is a lot of ports from old games plus some new things, but the number of games planned for the first 9 months of the Switch (from it's march release to december) is low.

I compared to the first 9 months on the PS4 and switch had a lot less games. This video illustrates better the issue with Nintendo and third parties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6q96pkpLFI

I do think that Nintendo has many partnerships planned so that thirds will create games for the Switch, however, I also think that many of those might be coming late. Having Suda 51 on stage was exciting, but having he explain a project that didn't even began it is not.

Those kind of showings are what worried me in the Switch presentation and there were many. If Nintendo doesn't show a lot in E3, I will assume that Nintendo started searching those partnerships just now as the console was about to release instead of planning this 2-3 years ago and guarantee more titles for the first/second year.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
5 games? How many first party games did the PS4 and XB1 have in their first 6 or so months?

I was sitting on Resogun and NBA2Kwhatever for six months until Infamous came out. Then we waited another year for Bloodborne. Driveclub missed launch by a year. 'PS4 has no game' was the dankest meme and gamers have zero memory, apparently.

Nintendo's first party output this year obliterates any other console's first year that I can remember. And they haven't even killed the 3DS yet. No Pokemon, Smash or Metroid even announced.

thefro

Sure, but as you say, time is money. So even if they decide on porting it to the Switch, it won't be as optimized as a first-party game. To be honest, Dragon Quest Heroes looks a bit rushed (first gameplay of Fire Emblem Warriors looked better), but it's still a power problem and you shouldn't expect third-parties to throw tens of millions of dollars more to a Switch port than to a PS/Xbox port for more polishing.

I doubt the 360 port of Rise of the Tomb Raider even cost "tens of millions of dollars" to develop.

I think they have a solid lineup for the first year, but if you expect it to have every announced 3rd Party game you will probably be disappointed. Personally, I have a ton to keep me busy with Zelda, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, Blaster Master, Fast RMX, etc... Luckily I also have my PS4, which has a ton of great games, especially right now.

komorebi

I seriously wonder how long Radiant History for the 3DS has been in development. Doesn't seem like much has changed in the game outside some new art and stuff. They could have ported the game over the NS instead of the 3DS, I think. The game is coming out at the end of June, too. Plenty of time to bring it over. Nothing wrong with it being on the 3DS, but just pointing out that there would have been time to port it over considering when it's getting released.

Well to be fair, I thought the same thing. I want that and Deep Strange Journey on Switch too. But those were still probably in the pipe for a while. Either way it's just speculation or simply a business decision as to why they're not also on Switch. The 3DS is still a raging beast in Japan but I'm sure starting now Atlus in particular is gonna start rolling out all kinds of Switch RPGs.

It sounds old at this point but the system has been out for literally 25 days.

majik13

With a PS4, Im fine with just Switch as a Nintendo/Indie machine. Thats basically what its panning out to be anyways.

jonno394

I was sitting on Resogun and NBA2Kwhatever for six months until Infamous came out. Then we waited another year for Bloodborne. Driveclub missed launch by a year. 'PS4 has no game' was the dankest meme and gamers have zero memory, apparently.

Nintendo's first party output this year obliterates any other console's first year that I can remember. And they haven't even killed the 3DS yet. No Pokemon, Smash or Metroid even announced.

I held fire on buying a PS4 until September 2014 due to the fact there was nothing I wanted already released or in the near future at that point, and that was only so I could get the new FIFA and play with people I knew on Clubs mode. I got TLoU remastered for free too.

Hindl

You really can't say that for the next CoD and AC, those have been on Nintendo consoles, especially CoD, and they aren't porting those games over not because of power, they literally ported CoD to the wii and was consistently getting a million+ sales, it would be because they couldn't find a audience

I know, and a CoD or AC may come, but I'm willing to bet the next ones won't. I think both Activision and Ubisoft are going to wait at least a year before they put their big franchises on the Switch

5 games? How many first party games did the PS4 and XB1 have in their first 6 or so months?

Sony had 3. Infamous, Killzone, and Knack. XBO had Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Forza 5, and Ryse. I think the Switch is doing alright all things considered

Breath of the Wild isn't an exclusive.

1, 2 Switch is absolute garbage.

Mario Kart 8 is a port.

ARMS and Splatoon 2 qualify, do they have firm release dates?

Fast RMX, Snipperclips, Super Bomberman R, Blaster Master Zero, New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers, Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Last Challengers...

Shiggy

/fantasy

Those games weren't even out early in those consoles lives, that's why we had a bunch of hd remasters early on

Then why is the Switch not getting games which are scheduled for a release later this year? That wasn't an issue for developers on X1 and PS4 initially either.

Go, figure it out. It's not because those games have been in development for 5 years. It's because publishers didn't see a market for games such as Mordor and the like on the platform.

chekhonte

considering that the switch will have almost no third party support other than indies, I don't expect a ton of games coming out any time soon.

I know, and a CoD or AC may come, but I'm willing to bet the next ones won't. I think both Activision and Ubisoft are going to wait at least a year before they put their big franchises on the Switch

Sony had 3. Infamous, Killzone, and Knack. XBO had Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Forza 5, and Ryse. I think the Switch is doing alright all things considered

If you count indie games, they had more than those, but I like Switch's current lineup vs those at or near launch.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I held fire on buying a PS4 until September 2014 due to the fact there was nothing I wanted already released or in the near future at that point, and that was only so I could get the new FIFA and play with people I knew on Clubs mode. I got TLoU remastered for free too.

'Wait and see' is always the best approach for those of us with self-control (not me). I mean, how hilarious does the "PS4 has no game" meme look today? PS4 is putting out a shitload of quality stuff regularly now. These things take time to hit their stride.

Ponn

Banned
I'm fine with the announcements so far for the year. If the Switch is your only gaming platform that might be a little rough. Two Fire Emblem games coming, one of which this year, Mario this year, Mario Kart to infuriate me and make me throw the Switch across the room, not sure about Splatoon 2 personally but big for others, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim Switch. Thats good enough for me as a secondary console. People always start bugging out before E3 and are impatient, just hold your horses.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Pretty much every E3 showing they had during the WiiU era was widely panned.
That's a bit revisionist and wrong, 2012 was bad because they did t show enough games, 2013 was pretty ok actually, some surprises were lost because of the panic direct that happened in january, 2014 was amazing and everyone loved it, constantly won best E3 showing, 2015 ended being a real disappointment, especially since they had some momentum built up at that point, then a month later Iwata died so it was just a very sad and depressing time in general, 2016 nobody expected Nintendo to so anything with E3....and then they ended up winning the entire show with just one gamw

jonno394

'Wait and see' is always the best approach for those of us with self-control (not me). I mean, how hilarious does the "PS4 has no game" meme look today? PS4 is putting out a shitload of quality stuff regularly now. These things take time to hit their stride.

Just a damn shame I can't seem to "wait and see" when it comes to Nintendo. Pretty much all hardware since I've been in full time employment in 2004 has been day 1 purchases :/

soultron

Banned
Also: get Snipperclips if you've not done so already. It's a great game that even non-video game people will get into. My GF was asking me when we'd be playing next constantly during the first 2 weeks of owning our Switch.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
I don't expect many American developers to be on board yet. What gets me is that things like the Disney afternoon collection are the canary in the coal mine issues for me. I expect that kind of content to get a Switch announcement. I do think strong sales will help prompt some more multi-console title announcements at E3

I guess what's bothering me is that new games are being announced all the time and the NS isn't really part of those announcements. Destiny 2 will be unveiled soon and I think we can all put our money on there not being a NS version of that game. So it's just another game announced recently that isn't coming to the platform. Just seems strange to wait until E3 for that NS announcement, when games are getting announced every few days for every other platform.

Well of course not. If you expected Destiny 2 after the switch reveal, then you were kidding yourself. Any huge AAA game shouldn't have been expected. It just isn't happening on that hardware.

I think what's troubling is a lack of output from Nintendo's studios the last two years of the Wii U, and still be lacking first-party exclusive content the inaugural year of the Switch.

I can see third parties sending their 5 year-old games to the Switch to die, but it seems like Nintendo even got caught off-guard.

I'm done with Zelda, and now I play the "hope" game, dusting my Switch every couple weeks.

I don't know. In regards to first party games, we're getting quite a bit. I felt the same way at first, but then I realized that they're not going to throw out every major franchise the first year. At best, we may get one or two more E3 announcements for this year at best, but we're already getting pretty good first party for the year.

The lack of a lot 3rd party just makes it seem worst than it is for sure though.

60+ hours into Zelda and just beat it.. and map says I am 17% complete... so I think that game will occupy me for some time. I still need to buy Horizon Zero Dawn too. However I am trying to avoid buying any of the sub-par games just to play on a new console. I will get MK8 when that is released and then not sure on the order they are released but planning on getting NBA, Mario, Splatoon,Street Fighter, Rime (if reviewed well), ARMS, Stardew Valley (hyped), and perhaps FIFA.

Maybe I am in the minority but I am so used to having a new console with not great games on it that having a game like Zelda that is great in so many ways and takes up so much time is huge for me and it isn't really making me eager for new games just yet. I made the mistake of buying a lot of games that I didn't really want when the PS4 was new just to play games on the PS4 so I am happy with waiting for the ones I actually want to play.

Sure as hell am not buying Skyrim for a third time.

As far as game announcements I don't think it is ever wise to purchase a Nintendo console with the hopes of third-party support. Nintendo has great first-party. You can count on that. Betting on third-party is a recipe for disappointment.

zelas

I've been starting to have concerns already myself too OP. There have been a few new 3DS/Vita announcements of games that should be coming to the Switch. Some of these are even getting iOS versions alongside them.

It already seems clear Nintendo has made little progress on the western front but pre-launch talk seemed to imply the Switch had already set itself up as the new home for Japanese third party support and that NDAs were keeping devs from talking before launch. Well nearly a month after launch it actually seems like its going to be a long wait until Mario arrives.

18-Volt

Why did you buy the console this early if there was nothing you wanted to play on it?

Why did you buy it?

Bizarre. Why did you buy the system in the first place?

Didn't you guys read what I wrote? I have bought every single console on their launch week since Dreamcast. I don't want to break my streak. Yes, it does not make any sense, I know.

Still Switch is one of the most amazing piece of hardware I've ever hold in my hands and it's pretty sad for me how it is supported with software in its first year. Stupid third parties.

The system just came out less than a month ago. Games typically take 2-3 years(or more) to make. We know that Nintendo wasn't super forthcoming with dev kits early on. As of such, all the games you're talking about were in development long before dev kits were going out. Most 3rd party titles for this year will not be on the Switch. Just accept that right now. However, I believe that, come next year, you will start to hear of a lot more games being announced across the board. The crop of games coming out this year were half-way to two-thirds complete before Nintendo even officially announced and unveiled the Switch.

If you want to blame anyone for this, blame Nintendo for not getting dev kits to companies 2 years ago. Then again, 2 years ago, I'm not sure Nintendo knew exactly what the NX truly would be outside of basic concepts.

TLDR: The Switch is fine. It is selling well and is projected to continue selling well. However, games coming out this year were in development long before the Switch was a thing. Expect more support as truly new games are announced.

Chindogg

PS4 had what?

Resogun
Killzone
Knack
Infamous Second Son?

XBox One had

Forza
???

I seriously can't remember what XB1 had first six months, but it wasn't much. Hell you could argue that PS4 didn't really have anything worthwhile until Bloodborne which came a full 2 years later.

EDarkness

This is true. I didn't pick up a PS4 until Dragon Age was released. I bought that system for one game and still pretty much only have that game on it. Which is a shame. I played Final Fantasy XIV on it for a while, though. My problem is I'm not interested in a lot of traditional stuff and shy away from dual analog if I can help it. Nintendo at least likes to try interesting control schemes and are the only company pushing split controller gaming, so I tend to jump into their camp even though I don't play their games. I know that sounds strange, but that's the way it is.

I would have been fine with that upcoming Darksiders 1 Remaster on the system instead of the Wii U and that would have kept me playing after I finish I Am Setsuna. Snake Pass will be a fun game, I think, but it's more of the style of pick up and play in short bursts. I'm actually okay with even the thought of having something "big" to play in the nearish future.

Kouriozan

They already showed/announced almost everything for 2017, there is almost nothing to expect for 1st party, maybe surprise small games like Mother 3 localization.

I can understand the feeling when 3rd party games are announced for everything and, once again, Nintendo is left out because it can't run on their newer console and stuff, but honestly after 4 gens like this, it's highly time to accept terrible 3rd party support.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Breath of the Wild isn't an exclusive.

1, 2 Switch is absolute garbage.

Mario Kart 8 is a port.

ARMS and Splatoon 2 qualify, do they have firm release dates?

Have you actually played 12 Switch? I thought it was going to suck too, but after actually playing it my friends and I had a lot of fun.

Then why is the Switch not getting games which are scheduled for a release later this year? That wasn't an issue for developers on X1 and PS4 initially either.

Go, figure it out. It's not because those games have been in development for 5 years. It's because publishers didn't see a market for games such as Mordor and the like on the platform.

I wouldn't expect the major 3rd Party games. Sure, it will get a few, but I wouldn't expect them. As it sits now it just seems like a way to be disappointed.

PSFan

I don't expect many American developers to be on board yet. What gets me is that things like the Disney afternoon collection are the canary in the coal mine issues for me. I expect that kind of content to get a Switch announcement. I do think strong sales will help prompt some more multi-console title announcements at E3

Well, if you think about it, those Disney Afternoon games are NES games. And with NES games, they usually go on the VC on Nintendo consoles. PS4, X1 and PC don't have a Nintendo VC service to play those games.

I'd wager those games will eventually show up on the Switch VC as individual NES games for 5-6 bucks a pop.

AColdDay

Am I the only one who only buys their indie games on PC? I can still play World of Goo, and I'll be able to play Stardew Valley (with mods!) for generations of consoles to come. It is the reason I stopped buying Virtual Console games, because I will keep having to rebuy them with every subsequent console.

However, I will say the portability option does change the equation a bit. That really is a value-add that the PC can't reasonably replicate.

oti

Banned
Am I the only one who only buys their indie games on PC? I can still play World of Goo, and I'll be able to play Stardew Valley (with mods!) for generations of consoles to come. It is the reason I stopped buying Virtual Console games, because I will keep having to rebuy them with every subsequent console.

However, I will say the portability option does change the equation a bit. That really is a value-add that the PC can't reasonably replicate.

My plan is to get the indie games I want to play on Switch first and re-buy them again once they are in a sale of Humble Bundle. Best of both worlds.

EDarkness

Well, if you think about it, those Disney Afternoon games are NES games. And with NES games, they usually go on the VC on Nintendo consoles. PS4, X1 and PC don't have a Nintendo VC service to play those games.

I'd wager those games will eventually show up on the Switch VC as individual NES games for 5-6 bucks a pop.

This was another game that was announced, but no NS version. My wife was so disappointed, because she loves those games and wanted to play them on our new system. I just couldn't understand Capcom's decision on that one. It's not that the hardware couldn't run the games....

Hindl

This is where I'm at. I only get indies on PC, but the ability to take them on the go is really appealing. Plus most indies aren't going to look nearly as different on PC vs the Switch compared to AAA games. Probably the same reason people liked the Vita as an indie machine.

This was another game that was announced, but no NS version. My wife was so disappointed, because she loves those games and wanted to play them on our new system. I just couldn't understand Capcom's decision on that one. It's not that the hardware couldn't run the games....

Yeah. Shit like that is confusing. Nintendo needs to be way more proactive in getting stuff like that on their system. Fans can only carry switch so far.

Mory Dunz

The second part of the OP is more interesting to discuss than the first part (about how devs aren't talking about already announced Switch games, like Steep or DQ11)

....but it's unlikely the conversation will go there

Top Bottom