• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Boxart is kinda good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm expecting 10-12 hours for the main story, kind of like Uncharted 2. Will be surprised if it's bigger than that.

why are people saying this game will be linear? there was one gameplay section they showed off, where they did an entire demo of an area, and then the next time they skipped the entirety of that same area, went on a different path, and had a different outcome.

linear to me means that you are forced into a strict path in which you do what everyone else playing the game has to do, and you all have the same experience. i have no doubt there is a path to follow, but i can see leeway in how you approach getting from A to B.

LuuKyK

That village being posted isn't all that big, wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Well, Uncharted 2 had you exploring a village already (is this a spoiler yet?), and if that game was considered linear by the developers, at least in comparison to TLoU, I don't think its that impossible for this to happen in a game considered wide-linear. You never know though.

why are people saying this game will be linear?

There is a lot of irony in here. Read carefully. :p

prwxv3

why are people saying this game will be linear? there was one gameplay section they showed off, where they did an entire demo of an area, and then the next time they skipped the entirety of that same area, went on a different path, and had a different outcome.

linear to me means that you are forced into a strict path in which you do what everyone else playing the game has to do, and you all have the same experience. i have no doubt there is a path to follow, but i can see leeway in how you approach getting from A to B.

ND call that wide linear with pinch points to advance the story.

Oshimai

That village being posted isn't all that big, wouldn't surprise me one bit.

yea same. I could see the village a checkpoint type level where you can stock up on ammo, supplies and whatever other gear you need for the following levels.

furthermore, in OP's blog post it's noticed that although the ending is the same there are multiple ways of getting to the ending. I'm assuming it's in locations like this that can determine the path to your ending. depending on who you interact with and how you interact with people, in this village for example, will change the way you get to the end of the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
tlourpvga_explicitv11b6xxx.png

tlourpvga_explicitv11d7zql.png

tlourpvga_explicitv11w6zbp.png

tlourpvga_explicitv11dilo0.png

tlourpvga_explicitv110rxhm.png

tlourpvga_explicitv11hkyyx.png

tlourpvga_explicitv116qzd9.png

dEvAnGeL

Man, it'd be awesome if this was RE4 length 20-25 hours).
IMO a 25 hour linear game gets boring because how much can you do yo keep people interested without becoming stale and boring? I'd say the perfect length for these games are between 9 to 12 hours, that's just me tho

Toki767

Actually not surprised about multiplayer since Sony seems to like their $10 online passes for used sales.

Curious to see how the multiplayer works though. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

pre-order bonus for Beyond: Two Souls confirmed
They need to scrap development and start over with a Cody Diablo penned script. I'd pay for that trainwreck

I kind of get an MGS-lite vibe from the demo. That's kind of how I interpret "wide-linear". Not as constrained and non emergent as Uncharted, but definitely funneling you along a tract with the illusion of freedom

Squire

Banned
IMO a 25 hour linear game gets boring because how much can you do yo keep people interested without becoming stale and boring? I'd say the perfect length for these games are between 9 to 12 hours, that's just me tho

Well. half the magic of RE4 was how it made that length work. You were never bored. Hell, the game barely let you relax.

But whatever. If it's Uncharted length as some are posting, it's more than long enough. In fact, I even think UC2 might be an hour or two too long.

LuuKyK

Is this old?

The Last of Us comic by Dark Horse will be called American Dreams.

Comic Bulletin has an interview with the crew involved with it, which includes the game director Neil Druckmann. I found this interesting:

Well, how are you approaching a setting like that and making it different from comics like The Walking Dead and video games like Resident Evil and Dead Island?

Druckmann: Well, I guess our focus isn't to make something that is different but focus more on who these characters are. If that becomes our focus then the story will stand on its own. It will become unique because the characters are unique. And it's really focusing on who Ellie is and what it's like for a teenager to grow up in a world that is completely destroyed.

And for Joel, what is it like for someone who has lost so much that he has to go to a place that is so dark to become a survivor in this world? What is it like for him to start caring about someone again? So, it is in exploring those themes that drives us and that is what has been helping us make a very unique experience.

Launches Spring 2013.

More here: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/inter...th-erin-hicks-the-last-of-us-american-dreams/

I love you, Wario. I really do. I hope you know that.

Fucking lovely cover art. And I'm gonna need that soundtrack! I've heard this fella's work on YouTube, it's excellent.

Now to watch the trailer in glorious HD.

Man, I love that split-second shot of Joel wearing the gas mask. Gives off a "shit is getting heavy feeling".

I really... really hope this game doesn't leave me bawling tears as the credits roll. The acting and story looks like it'll be aces.

And ew at the creatures.

ND, you've got me hooked again.

LuuKyK

Thats indeed creepy/disgusting. Amazing work.

It's becoming really evident how many people haven't been following the game.

Errm... I have been following the game and I knew about the comic. Just never heard of that interview and release date. Oh well.

MrBS

Bonus in game cash? So it's going the f2p (sans free) model that Uncharted 3 ended up with. Good thing I've got no interest in multiplayer.

Man that is some Ganado ass shit right there
Her (pen) name is Diablo Cody and she's quite good. Certainly better than Cage.
I was moreso referencing how inappropriate her writing style would be for a project like Beyond's. It's like asking Amy Sherman Padillo to pen the script for Terminator. It'd be amusing, but who knows, Cage has it in him to fuck it up terribly as well. I just wonder whether Ellen's been subjected to some sort of reality distortion field from being around Cage, cause she's had nothing but praise for the story in every interview I've seen her in

Oshimai

Bonus in game cash? So it's going the f2p (sans free) model that Uncharted 3 ended up with. Good thing I've got no interest in multiplayer.

i heard that. multiplayer was soso for me in UC3. although the intro and ending sequences were dope.

luckly, knowing Naughty Dog's track record, you won't need to play too much MP to earn the platinum trophy as well.

Duffyside

Banned
I get the feeling that
Ellie is the cargo
spoken about in the trailer. I hope it's not that obvious.

Naughty Dog has done a damn fine job of surprising people with their plots though, so I have high hopes still.

Boxart looks great. Second in-game preorder benefits are stupid. I have no problem with the album as a preorder bonus, but they other stuff is stupid.

meta4

I really, really hope this does well. If it's released close to GTA V (since R* seems to have May locked up), I am dreading what'll happen.

Hopefully there will be at least 2-3 weeks of a gap between the two. Eitherway's this one is def having long legs. I cant see a ND franchise failing in terms of sales with the heavy marketing they get from Sony.

stryke

I am going to love this game as much as the next person but I hope people here keep their expectations in check. It does look amazing, but some of the pics being posted are in engine, rather than real-time rendered. The anti-aliasing and polygon count should be obvious enough.

EDIT: watched it again, all of it still looks fucking amazing.

Agent X

The box art is very classy looking. It looks more like the cover for a movie, which is fine with me since the trailers for the game are very cinematic in nature.

I'm not much for horror-themed games myself, but the game looks amazing.

Kak.efes

I'm thinking a DayZ inspired multiplayer would be pretty damn intriguing. Would definitely hold my interest longer than your traditional multiplayer shoot 'em up.

I think as gamers we should all take the time to thank Sony for allowing one of its developers the incredible freedom to pursue a game world and concept as unique as this game. I think it is fucking amazing how a publisher lets a developer create such a seemingly compelling new IP in this day and age, at this late of a cycle. I can't wait for this

meta4

I'm thinking a DayZ inspired multiplayer would be pretty damn intriguing. Would definitely hold my interest longer than your traditional multiplayer shoot 'em up.

I dont think there will be infected creatures in the multi. It will be survivors vs survivors with prob the same cat and mouse gameplay that is found in the SP game with focus on melee weapons and very little on guns due to lack of ammo.

Top Bottom