• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Oily, Gentlemanly Super Spin Fighter 4 Reveal Thread of Kunoichis and Karatekas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I just came into this thread to say FUCK DLC. And FUCK all of you who want this update to be DLC. Full retail disc release FTMFW. It sounds like a HUGE update that is well worth a new disc.

Fuck.

mollipen

daegan said:
It would be silly for them to do this as DLC though because then it splits the userbase. More than 2 or 3 characters and balancing and I feel like it can go on a disc.

Uhh, no. Making it a DISC splits the userbase. You'll have those who own only SF IV, and those who own Super SF IV. Unless they're directly cross-playable, you'll then have two separate online communities.

Make it DLC, and that means the same large pool of players can still play agains one another. Those who bought the DLC can make use of the new characters, those that didn't can't. No split of the userbase.

Making this a disc-based release in this day and age is moronic. We're PAST the days when that kind of garbage had to take place. Don't screw over the people who will only have SF IV by taking a decent chunk of the online community away from migration to Super, and don't force the Super owners to have a much smaller online community than they're used to.

There's no logical argument to why this couldn't be DLC. Hell, even charge $60 for it if you want, that's fine; but make it an extension of the already existing version of SFIV, not a separate entity from it.

Vespa

Superblatt said:
mebbe.jpg

Is that Jackie Chan and Peter Andre?

dacuk

darkpaladinmfc said:
This is supposed to be the roster:

Returning from SF3: Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley
Returning from SF2: DeeJay and T-Hawk
Returning from Alpha: Guy, Cody, and Adon
in addition to 2 completely new characters.

This made this GAFfer very, very happy

mollipen

tapedeck said:
I just came into this thread to say FUCK DLC. And FUCK all of you who want this update to be DLC. Full retail disc release FTMFW. It sounds like a HUGE update that is well worth a new disc.

Fuck.

Again... WHY would you want to ACTIVELY split the online play community? What benefit would you get from having this be a new disc versus DLC? Seriously, name me one thing that would make this better as a disc instead of being DLC.

Spruchy

If there doubling the roster and you think this is going to be DLC

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Keep on dreamin'.

Augemitbutter said:
i demand Dark Ryu, Light Ryu, Angel Ryu, Darkness Ryu, Devil Ryu and Cat and Dog Ryu.

we all love fighting him 90% of our playtime, so i can only agree wholeheartedly.
I'm such a newb huh?

You see that google ad down there? Player 1 knows whats up.

wRATH2x

Banned
Will buy day 1. Street Fighter 4 is the best fighting game this generation, can not wait.

I heard they were doubling the roster, is this true? And will it be a continuation of 4's story? or will it be the same just with newer characters added?(Like a give a shit about the story, I just want an excuse to play through the arcade mode)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wait, tapedeck's trying to shit on people for wanting this as DLC? smh

Also, since we're mentioning how big an update this will be, how big is it compared to say, Oblivion's Shivering Isles, or GTA IV's side story?

Peff

Those who bought the DLC can make use of the new characters, those that didn't can't. No split of the userbase.

What about new moves/ultras/tweaks in priorities/etc for the old characters? It's splitting the community anyways.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
darkpaladinmfc said:
This is supposed to be the roster:

Returning from SF3: Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley
Returning from SF2: DeeJay and T-Hawk
Returning from Alpha: Guy, Cody, and Adon
in addition to 2 completely new characters.

They better be canonically lolipedo 14 years old nyoamsayin'

shidoshi said:
Again... WHY would you want to ACTIVELY split the online play community? What benefit would you get from having this be a new disc versus DLC? Seriously, name me one thing that would make this better as a disc instead of being DLC.

Lost Planet: Colonies edition on 360 had new netcode for the multiplayer that allowed 360 and PC players to play together.

A lot of people complain about the netcode in SF4 compared to SSF2THDR, if they fixed that issue, added PC/360 cross play, 10 new characters and some serious alterations to the engine... then I could see them doing a full retail disc. Or a $40 disc...

Now, while I agree that all that should be possible in a patch/DLC, they didn't do it for Colonies. Their excuse will be that there's only so much you can change with a patch and that they really want to make significant changes to the core systems of the game. So a full retail release is the only way to go.

I hope it's DLC. With a Classic/Platinum hits version that has the new content included.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dead Man Typing said:
A lot of people complain about the netcode in SF4 compared to SSF2THDR, if they fixed that issue, added PC/360 cross play, 10 new characters and some serious alterations to the engine...
Please don't tease me like that. :(

tapedeck

shidoshi said:
One thing? CONTENT..with a disc release we get more of what we want, not just a few random characters stages with no improvement in the *gasp* GAMEPLAY. And how exactly are you NOT splitting the online play community by releasing this as DLC. Its not like they are just adding characters into the exact same game. The gameplay system has been totally reworked. You cannot have someone with the original SFIV playing someone with SSFIV. The community is split either way and by encouraging this to be DLC you are only encouraging Capcom and other companies to give us half assed efforts and release games that should have more included from the get go. DLC is being overfuckingused.

TheFallen

Not sure how i feel about it being a new disc (if that's how it turns out), as I'm not a hardcore SF fan. On one hand I can see myself getting back into the game if it were DLC. With a new disc the price would probably be too much of a barrier to buy it again - regardless of the amount of content.

I love people who whine about how it may not be DLC..

Ive never seen any one of those people put more then 3 seconds of care to the SF4 thread on GAF (one of the largest bitches!) so they probably played the game for 30 mins. Somehow I could give a shit about their opinions now.

DLC doesnt split the userbase. at the title screen you could select which one you want. just like in GTA4. if its a standalone disc that ONLY has SSF4 and not a comdo disc, THAT would kill the base. and those who keep saying bo bo bo double the roster! look at GTA. Look at burnout. Big DLC isnt impossible.

mollipen

Peff said:
What about new moves/ultras/tweaks in priorities/etc for the old characters? It's splitting the community anyways.

So give all of those fixes to the current owners of the game.

tapedeck said:
One thing? CONTENT..with a disc release we get more of what we want, not just a few random characters stages with no improvement in the *gasp* GAMEPLAY.

They can give the exact same amount of content as a downloadable package as they could as retail release. Come on.

And how exactly are you NOT splitting the online play community by releasing this as DLC. Its not like they are just adding characters into the exact same game. The gameplay system has been totally reworked. You cannot have someone with the original SFIV playing someone with SSFIV.

Currently owners of SFIV get all of the fixes to the current batch of characters. Sell the new characters as a DLC pack.

The community is split either way and by encouraging this to be DLC you are only encouraging Capcom and other companies to give us half assed efforts and release games that should have more included from the get go. DLC is being overfuckingused.

Why are people talking about DLC like it has to be "half-asses efforts"? Do you play WoW at all? They give TONS of huge overhauls to the game as free updates between expansions. GTA IV has two huge new expansions released as DLC. The only reason you think DLC has to be half-asses is because you think that.

What I, on the other hand, see is a company about to possibly announce a new full-priced (or nearly full-priced) version of Street Fighter IV when the original version was just released earlier this year. That's BS. DLC specifically exists so that a game I purchased can be fixed, upgraded, or expanded upon without making me purchase a different retail version. That's the whole god-damn point of us getting to where we are now, so that we don't have to buy countless retail versions! Lord almighty. This is the exact same thing that's going on with Left 4 Dead, only people were much smarter about complaining about that situation than they seem to be here.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ive never seen any one of those people put more then 3 seconds of care to the SF4 thread on GAF (one of the largest bitches!) so they probably played the game for 30 mins. Somehow I could give a shit about their opinions now.

Yeah, because how much time somebody spend on NeoGAF talking about a game is directly proportionate to how much they care about it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
TurtleSnatcher said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. All the scrubs and MIAs coming out nowhere. :lol

Retail plus LE!

dani_dc

Wasn't interested enough to buy it at release, especially with Capcom habit of doing this kind of things.

So yeah...

Glad I skipped the original release :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
TurtleSnatcher said:

I get you but those are the same people that made SFIV such a success. Capcom could be throwing away goodwill if all the newcomers won't bite for an update at retail.

Edit: kadey--kill that "scrubs" cornball shit. This ain't srk.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
shidoshi said:
Why are people talking about DLC like it has to be "half-asses efforts"? Do you play WoW at all? They give TONS of huge overhauls to the game as free updates between expansions. GTA IV has two huge new expansions released as DLC. The only reason you think DLC has to be half-asses is because you think that.

What I, on the other hand, see is a company about to possibly announce a new full-priced (or nearly full-priced) version of Street Fighter IV when the original version was just released earlier this year. That's BS. DLC specifically exists so that a game I purchased can be fixed, upgraded, or expanded upon without making me purchase a different retail version. That's the whole god-damn point of us getting to where we are now, so that we don't have to buy countless retail versions! Lord almighty. This is the exact same thing that's going on with Left 4 Dead, only people were much smarter about complaining about that situation than they seem to be here.
Don't use WOW as your example. People pay to play WOW, nothing free in that shit. And be a little realistic. This is a Japanese developer making an arcade game. They aren't going to flip their script at the say so of some dudes on the other side of the planet. And really, ten added characters and a bunch of revisions to the gameplay systems is not worth another retail disc? Then what the fuck is? You think they coded the initial SF4 to be easily revised? There is a reason why L4D is getting a sequel instead of a major overhaul and it's probably why doing it for SF4 would be stupid as shit too; the game isn't built with that kind of change in mind. You can cry high heavens all you want but there is no way this will be DLC, not this update - not the next one either for that matter.

also, I doubt this will be released this year for consoles, it would fucking kick ass if it was, but I doubt it. The arcade market is going to get it first and with quite a long period of 'exclusivity' too.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dead Man Typing said:
A lot of people complain about the netcode in SF4 compared to SSF2THDR, if they fixed that issue, added PC/360 cross play, 10 new characters and some serious alterations to the engine... then I could see them doing a full retail disc. Or a $40 disc...

I keep hearing that yet 95% of my online sf IV time is lag free ... HD Remix though .. shit, 50% if Im lucky.

acevans2

I heard the trophies for SFIV were mega-difficult. I never bought it. I would probably pick this up if they don't do that with it. (and, ya know, if this actually exists)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
acevans2 said:
I heard the trophies for SFIV were mega-difficult. I never bought it. I would probably pick this up if they don't do that with it. (and, ya know, if this actually exists)
*blinks*

Trophies?

AZ Greg

acevans2 said:

dani_dc said:
Wasn't interested enough to buy it at release, especially with Capcom habit of doing this kind of things.

So yeah...

Glad I skipped the original release :lol

so, how about skipping the next one too? ;)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bob_arctor said:
I get you but those are the same people that made SFIV such a success. Capcom could be throwing away goodwill if all the newcomers won't bite for an update at retail.

Edit: kadey--kill that "scrubs" cornball shit. This ain't srk.

I don't post at nor care about SRK. I've bought all versions, a bunch of related accessories and have been playing the game since launch. I'll say whatever the hell I want. Thanks.

Brobzoid said:
LET'S FIGHT LIKE GENTLEMEN!

I really hope they put in character specific intros (Ruy v Ken, etc.), Classic stages (Ruy SF2, Grassy field, etc.) and bring back Ruy's side kick ffs. That shit was the bomb in TS.

And change the fucking music to the classic themes, one theme for every stage.

And I have the PC version, and yes I can put street fighter II remixes in the PC while playing. BUT ITS NOT THE SAME! I want to hear the music go faster when the timer runs out, I want the music stage to the end when the fight ends.
I hate Street Fighter IV music :(

tapedeck

shidoshi said:
They can give the exact same amount of content as a downloadable package as they could as retail release. Come on.
Well, I dont know if you can patch in fundamental changes to gameplay...but assuming you can...sure they could have you download 3 gigs or whatever it would be and who wants to do that. And if this became a trend my storage space on my ps3 would be filled quick.

Currently owners of SFIV get all of the fixes to the current batch of characters. Sell the new characters as a DLC pack.
You cant be serious on this. So you expect capcom to GIVE away an entirely new gameplay system to those who dont want to buy the DLC? Sales of the update would instantly tank. Great insentive for the rest of us to burn 30 bucks for what would essentially be JUST new characters.

Im going on past experiences with DLC. Ive never played WoW, and the last GTA I played was San Andreas so I guess you got me on this one. Just a difference of preference I guess.

Its been said a million times but I guess Ill say it again. This "update" sounds more like a true sequel with all thats claimed to be included. Id gladly pay 60 bucks for a revised gameplay system with 10 new characters and better online code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom