• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 has gone gold

Some Nobody

I still don't know where I fall with this game. I'm kind of tired of open-world games, especially knowing I've got Witcher 3, Batman, and XCX on the horizon. At the same time, the budget is kinda tight right now so I'm a lot more frugal with my money.

...And on some level I've got a feeling that either way, this game is going to end up being cheap a month or so after it launches.

samar11

I know I shouldn't judge this game as I haven't played it yet, but the gameplay style reminds me of Gears of war and I couldn't stand that game lol

mreddie

3w82efk.gif

Assisting development could come in many shapes and forms.

For all intents and purposes, SSM's role in The Order is primarily (or only) that they have an external producer there. Presumably stuff like ensuring the budgets, key milestones and deadlines are within their acceptable boundaries.

kpaadet

production is part of video game development...

Sure but they had no hand in the coding, game design etc, like I said they act like XDev. SSM have their own game to make, they are not big enough to help with every aspect of developement of all the games they are put on.

truth411

I love that genre. Seriously, how often do we get really satisfying, chunky chest high wall movies? Probably like one a year if that. There is a real place in the market for cinematic experiences with tried and true gameplay and mindblowing graphics.

Though I do wonder how this got greenlit without multiplayer.

I would love some type of coop horde mode. Fighting waves of Rebels and Lycans sounds like a lot of fun.

Everywhere I looked SSM was said to assist development.

It's even on their page and both wikis for Santa Monica Studios and The Order

http://sms.playstation.com/the-order/?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Order:_1886

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Santa_Monica_Studio
Yes, "assist development" can mean anything. Straight from the horse's mouth though, I'm telling you RAD handled every aspect of development.

They didn't even outsource asset creation?
No. Every single thing was in house.

and photomode is there ?
Not at launch.

I love that genre. Seriously, how often do we get really satisfying, chunky chest high wall movies? Probably like one a year if that. There is a real place in the market for cinematic experiences with tried and true gameplay and mindblowing graphics.

This could be an Uncharted case where the sequel gets the multiplayer, which I am ok with.

Apath

This is one month away, correct? Super excited for this. I was going to wait for it to drop in price before buying it, but honestly I want to support the developers if it turns out good.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yes, "assist development" can mean anything. Straight from the horse's mouth though, I'm telling you RAD handled every aspect of development.
Do you work at RAD? Otherwise it's not straight from the horse's mouth but via the horse whisperer.

But as kpaadet says, SSM does act as the XDev equivalent of North America. According to the Community Manager at thatgamecompany the involvement of SSM was overstated there as well (by the public).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
They've held back a lot I think. Hope this surprises people when it releases.

Feels so strange to have only really gotten a few very short glimpses of gameplay.

Apath

They've held back a lot I think. Hope this surprises people when it releases.

Feels so strange to have only really gotten a few very short glimpses of gameplay.
The blimp segment was a very satisfying chunk. We've also gotten random gunplay tidbits and the Lycan encounter. Up until the blimp we only got glimpses, but that finally pushed it into acceptable levels of footage.

Is it coming out next month? I could've sword PSX wasn't that far back. Now to see if the impressions actually match up to our criticisms or have been addressed entirely.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm actually glad there's no photo mode at launch. I took 1400 pictures of TLoU:R and that added a considerable amount of time to my first run through the remaster and constantly took me out the world I was supposed to be immersed in. Luckily, I had played through the PS3 version four times, so it's not like I ruined the story by repeatedly breaking the illusion. For The Order I'd like to go through without any distractions. I'll gladly wait until I've gotten in a couple, maybe three runs before I go looking for photo opportunities.

man i still haven't decided if i'm getting this or bloodborne.... aaaaaaargh

Both

BraXzy

I think I'm going to wait for reviews or impressions before I buy but the game looks stunning. I really hope the gameplay holds up. I don't understand why people give a game a review score before it's out..

Congrats to all of those at RAD!

Three

I thought that was only a MS thing and the main reason Sony got Rime instead of MS? Though I suspect Sony will follow suit soon enough now that both charge for online play.

I'm actually glad there's no photo mode at launch. I took 1400 pictures of TLoU:R and that added a considerable amount of time to my first run through the remaster and constantly took me out the world I was supposed to be immersed in. Luckily, I had played through the PS3 version four times, so it's not like I ruined the story by repeatedly breaking the illusion. For The Order I'd like to go through without any distractions. I'll gladly wait until I've gotten in a couple, maybe three runs before I go looking for photo opportunities.
I agree with this. Let me enjoy the story and playthrough without any interruption. And then, I play the game 2nd time to abuse photo mode. Sounds good!

BraXzy

Both

Oh god.. this and TLOU have/will have a photo mode? I'm so screwed. I spent so much messing around with the one in Infamous SS.

kevin1025

Banned
Very much looking forward to this. All of the comparisons to Gears of War is a good thing to me, since those games were incredible. If it can be that and bring something new, which by the gameplay demos and videos it looks like it does, then I'm set. One month to go!

Hoje0308

Banned
I agree with this. Let me enjoy the story and playthrough without any interruption. And then, I play the game 2nd time to abuse photo mode. Sounds good!

Yep, and I'll be turning all notifications off as well. I never care about trophies on my first run anyway. Once I'm done with a game I'll consider trophy hunting if I really liked it. Even then, anything that requires the kind of grinding that doesn't appeal to my OCD will put me off.

Oh god.. this and TLOU have/will have a photo mode? I'm so screwed. I spent so much messing around with the one in Infamous SS.

Yes, TLoU has photo mode and Shinobi intimated that The Order would eventually get one. I took a ton of photos in Second Son and First Light. I've been taking a ton of Driveclub as well, for obvious reasons. Shit is going to get really bad for me once MS gets their thumb out and enabled screenshots on X1. Quantum Break could be a really interesting game for just your bog standard screenshot function.

Top Bottom