• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did not become a villain. In MGS4, he explains to Snake that he created both fortresses to amass an army to destroy Zero and the Patriots. Solid Snake had been unknowingly sent by the Patriots to take him out.

Yeah, this. In retrospect it is batshit insane that the whole time you were snake, like in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid 2, you were actually doing heroic shit for the wrong fucking party.

How can I, with this knowledge in mind, play these games again and kill Big Boss while I now know he was actually doing the good thing in opposing the Patriots?

injurai

Banned
this sequence

inrr98HAXMOLp.jpg

is followed by the sentence:

iQefXlq2S9enY.jpg

so mix up the letters..

I am Raiden Ma.

(ok I will stop... lol)

This is definitely the elevator in which you first saw Psychomantis.

eso76

guys help me:

Grey Fox had his nose and ears cut during the mozambican civil war in 1977 and he was rescued by Big Boss (this should be after the events in portable ops, despite Null/Grey Fox trying to kick his ass there)

He was in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian Civil War (ended in 1979) and there are hints the game takes place in Rhodesia (the dog).

Now, are these events told in any game of the series i didn't play (PW, for example) ?

The guy with the bandage in the trailer, couldn't it be Python from Portable Ops?
Just read stuff like this from the wiki article:

Python and Snake fought in Vietnam together, and after The Boss disappeared in the early '60s, Python was considered by Snake to be the one person he could count on in battle. On one occasion, Python lost a poker game to Snake but was unable to pay up. Sometime during a secret mission in Vietnam, Python received a severe injury which cost him the ability to regulate his body temperature, and as a result, Snake presumed him to be dead. Without intense medical care, Python would overheat to the point where his body would literally burn itself up.

His body was recovered by the U.S. government and eventually put through surgery in which he was fitted with a specially designed cooling suit filled with liquid nitrogen, complete with metal shunts installed in his skull to relieve himself of excess heat. Because of this, he was able to freeze objects that were close to him by flushing the liquid nitrogen inside of his suit out into the environment, though by doing so he would lose some of the cooling agent, making him heat up slightly. He was also a superb marksman, especially with assault rifles. Due to the nature of his suit, he was difficult to engage in hand-to-hand combat. His suit also made him highly resistant to firearms.

After recovering from his nearly fatal injury, he was trained by the CIA as an "Anti-Snake" soldier, the first of his kind. Python was genetically altered and trained to be Snake's exact match on the battlefield, so that in case Snake, now known as Big Boss, were to turn against the United States, the CIA would have a contingency plan to have him eliminated. At some point, he was placed into the FOX unit. Due to his brainwashing and modification, Python grew to an almost sick obsession with perfectly matching Big Boss. To keep his abilities in check, he was regularly sent on wetworks assassination missions, which led to him having nightmares about those he had killed, and thus further driving him to eliminate Snake.

EDIT: It looks like Python joining you in Portable Ops is seen as canon

guys help me:

Grey Fox had his nose and ears cut during the mozambican civil war in 1977 and he was rescued by Big Boss (this should be after the events in portable ops, despite Null/Grey Fox trying to kick his ass there)

He was in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian Civil War (ended in 1979) and there are hints the game takes place in Rhodesia (the dog).

Now, are these events told in any game of the series i didn't play (PW, for example) ?

His nose and ears were cut off during MG2. PW happens before MG1.

I don't think the burning guy is Python or even Volgin, it could be a new character, or some sort of phantom resembling Big Boss with his face covered. It's the same character 3 times, both on the horse and standing.

Is it just me, or does it seem like she's floating.

No the feet match the floor line at the back wall. You'r probably looking at the white line further down

Before he/she floats in the trailer, the feet can be seen on the floor for a few seconds.

Is it just me, or does it seem like she's floating.

She's floating, also the last second of footage has the same character floating. Is possible he/she is Psycho Mantis, but he was burned when he killed his father and all the people of the village, that's the reason his face was like that (and I assume his hair also was burned) but the character in the video has a lot of hair...

But kojima could retcon this too...

GeNoMe

Nice catch. Definitely not Volgin then.

Seeing as this is presumably some kind of wacked up comatose dream, influenced by psycho mantis...or some other entity?

That silhouette could be a collection of enemies BB has fought in the past, combined as one?

I could have sworn that was him, he has the same armor and now the spikes are throwing me off lol.

666666666l1dlc.png

9d5f75d51cb5a83be7526721eda5a5c7

IT'S FUCKING VOLGIN?! LOOK AT HIS LEGS!!

OMFG !!!!!

Just putting this here to show folks that the Volgin looking dude and the guy wearing the Sneaking Suit are different.

edit: then again, the scenery does look the same, so maybe the guy transforms or the fire is playing with the way he looks.

Arucardo

I'd bet if we can figure out the painting's title/artist, we'd have something to talk about here. It's familiar to me but I don't know either artist nor title.

As I said in the other thread, it's a painting of the ruins of a city/town. My first hunch was Pompeii but it could be anything really, hard to say with the size and quality of that screenshot.

i'll just post my thoughts from the other thread, plus a lil extra.

My theory is that this trailer is all for just one boss character, the one that looks like young Psycho Mantis. I believe it is him for a few reasons:

- Kojima mentioned a while ago he was bringing back a dead character and that it was exciting/interesting. Well I think he's talking about Mantis. He's dead in the sense that he died in MGS1, but he's not dead in the narrative setting and time frame of this game.

edit- found it:
24OCI.png

- We know Psycho Mantis has psychic powers. He's reading/looking into Big Boss' past and conjuring up images like Volgin, or Eva on fire (which happens to be premonition of sorts). Thats why when BB and his friend pause in the hallway, they see young Mantis ahead, and are blasted back by fire, and when we see it again, its Volgin in the fire.

-From MGS1, we know Mantis has telekinesis and pyrokinesis. Thats how he's able to make things catch fire and move them too. his pyrokinesis is what scarred him and makes him wear the outfit + mask eventually.

-the whole "why can't I move?" thing at the beginning is also totally reminiscent of the beginning of Psycho Mantis battle in MGS1, where you couldn't move till you switched controller ports.

-we first see Mantis in front of an elevator in MGS1. same thing here i bet.

-----------------------

n7dJb.gif

Not bad, not bad at all ;-)

But the painting, is it a real painting? At first I thougt I saw a river and a bridge, but now I can see some stairs and a complex of walls in the background. Are there some ruins in Zanzibar?

zanzibar-kidichi-bath-ruins.jpg

As I said in the other thread, it's a painting of the ruins of a city/town. My first hunch was Pompeii but it could be anything really, hard to say with the size and quality of that screenshot.

Yea, I thought the same thing; but knowing the full details might give us more information and why it's so obviously framed as the focal point of the shot. There's more to it.
Not bad, not bad at all ;-)

But the painting, is it a real painting? At first I thougt I saw a river and a bridge, but now I can see some stairs and a complex of walls in the background. Are there some ruins in Zanzibar?

zanzibar-kidichi-bath-ruins.jpg

Definitely real, I'd say. Quite possibly ruins of some kind. Landscapes like this are hard to figure out because they are so numerous, and the styles (from afar) aren't as varied.

eso76

His nose and ears were cut off during MG2. PW happens before MG1.

Hmm..I didn't remember that happening in mg2.
Wiki says it happened in 1977 during mozambique civil war, he was tortured and saved by BB, after which we know Grey Fox was in Rhodesia. Certainly not part of MG2 story; all this should be happening between 1977 and 1979

As for the painting.
I tried flattening that painting and correcting perspective, then fed it to google similar images search. Nothing helpful.
the perspective correction i did was quick and dirty, though, maybe someone else can try

beaten !

[DISCLAIMER] Moby Dick Studio and our representatives do not currently operate through any social medias such as Facebook or Twitter, except for YOUTUBE.

Why would someone go through the trouble pretending? Who knows. I mean, Kojima is pretending already. We don't need more pretenders.

Zone of the
Pret
Enders

[DISCLAIMER] Moby Dick Studio and our representatives do not currently operate through any social medias such as Facebook or Twitter, except for YOUTUBE.

Why would someone go through the trouble pretending? Who knows. I mean, Kojima is pretending already. We don't need more pretenders.

I know. I completely agree. I thought it was comical since at the top of they were talking about the joke Twitter account too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom