• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy in the corridor, standing in the flames. Maybe he is Python? It just looks like he has pins in his head.

Compare this:

scrshot008bp6.jpg

with his head here:

vga_13d9p9x.jpg

These 'pins' as I saw them could also be those straps from the mask of Psycho Mantis, when you look at these pictures:

images

images

Hmm..I didn't remember that happening in mg2.
Wiki says it happened in 1977 during mozambique civil war, he was tortured and saved by BB, after which we know Grey Fox was in Rhodesia. Certainly not part of MG2 story; all this should be happening between 1977 and 1979

EDIT: Reading further, the dates are all over the place but it indeed happened between 1980 and 1995.

"Gray Fox: I was being tortured as a RENAMO soldier, and he saved me again. They'd cut off my ears and my nose..."

Read this for more info: http://thesnakesoup.org/?section=myths&content=null

TL;DR: MG1 and MG2's canon is being conflicted by PO and PW.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I see the lambda symbol in the painting.

idk if it has been mentioned before but apparently snake, big boss or whoever it is, his partner the dude with the gauze bandages all over his face plays a bigger role. Earlier in this thread some people said that he gets killed, well....

92153581.png

Then, a second later...
43918209.png

idk if it has been mentioned before but apparently snake, big boss or whoever it is, his partner the dude with the gauze bandages all over his face plays a bigger role. Earlier in this thread some people say that he gets killed, well....

92153581.png

Then, a second later...
43918209.png

Damn good spot, yeah I thought that was him getting killed. It looks like he would avoid the gunfire there too.

There's a shot early in the trailer of Big Boss and the bandaged guy crashing a car, which definitely takes place after BB wakes up from the coma (he has the hook hand). It implies that the two of them do escape from the hospital, but obviously they crash the vehicle they're in.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys do you think Ground Zeroes is a prologue and Phantom Pain the first chapter of MGS 5?

Kojima did say it was a prequel to MGS 5, didn't he? I don't think they are capable of making two games simultaneously, so could this all be just MGS 5?

“We’re not going to say that Ground Zeroes is Metal Gear Solid 5, but it is a prologue.”

He never said entirely new game, did he? Or did I miss that?

There's a shot early in the trailer of Big Boss and the bandaged guy crashing a car, which definitely takes place after BB wakes up from the coma (he has the hook hand). It implies that the two of them do escape from the hospital, but obviously they crash the vehicle they're in.

Yes, i was thinking the exact same thing.

Guys do you think Ground Zeroes is a prologue and Phantom Pain the first chapter of MGS 5?

Kojima did say it was a prequel to MGS 5, didn't he? I don't think they are capable of making two games simultaneously, so could this all be just MGS 5?

“We’re not going to say that Ground Zeroes is Metal Gear Solid 5, but it is a prologue.”

Yeah but it sounds much more fleshed out than a traditional prologue, it involves flying between different countries in a helicopter, building a base, and a multiplayer mode.

Correct. There is also an upturned Jeep when you see the whale, but they weren't in a Jeep.
I think you see him running out of the hospital entrance with an ambulance van to the left. They get in one of the ambulances (full of pills) and drive off. Whale scene is spliced in from different part of the game, possibly after they were chased by a jeep and a helicopter, who knows.

R-User!

Perhaps Ground Zeroes is equivalent to the Tanker "Episode" of MGS 2 and The Phantom Pain will be the second episode of Metal Gear Solid 5 : Subtitle TBA.

Or well find out at E3.

See ?
So you read it here first folks, the guy in bandages helping amputee snake is grey fox.

Year and location match, he has his face covered, he's helping big boss because he just saved him.

:p

There is a confliction though. A lot of his Vietnam War incident is not mentioned in MGS Database in PS3 (which is said to be the most up-to-date database) due to various errors in date and age. Nose cutting/rescuing happened anywhere between 1980 and 1995, or it didn't happen at all. Who knows. This might be it though.

you'd think by now Kojima and co would release an official statement or something. We all know its MGS.

I think it's just more than a viral PR marketing stunt. Probably Kojima is going full meta here: that part of the game will be made by Moby Dick Studios, with their own credits sequence and all.

Kojima can't make any other game that isn't MGS, that's why he craeted Joakim Mogren persona and the Phantom Pain which probably, while a MGS game, it won't play like one.

ultron87

Moby Dick Studios is the in-universe development team that makes the Phantom Pain as a VR simulation so the real hero can understand why Snake is crazy.

Moby Dick Studios is the in-universe development team that makes the Phantom Pain as a VR simulation so the real hero can understand why Snake is crazy.

Kojima created an engine that creates it's own games. Skynet is imminent.

With all the canon issues, the only way to solve it is if Big Boss was in mental hospital who went through some crazy times in the hospital, and this is him escaping. After escaping, he creates SSS by convincing the president of United States in believing that Solidus is clone of Big Boss. Everything else happens in SSS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it's just more than a viral PR marketing stunt. Probably Kojima is going full meta here: that part of the game will be made by Moby Dick Studios, with their own credits sequence and all.

Kojima can't make any other game that isn't MGS, that's why he craeted Joakim Mogren persona and the Phantom Pain which probably, while a MGS game, it won't play like one.
I can awe him going all out with the hallucination effects and stuff and have fake credits, logos, etc as a way of messing directly eith the player.

Yeah this is more like it. I'm even wondering if they'll ever call it MGSV, or that title will stay hidden in the gaps, all sorts of weird things could be done.

Hanmik

Looks like a chicken foot to me. Maybe Kojima likes chicken? WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?!

Does Twilight have chickens?

chicken.. lol

there are some strange details on the "whalefin"

irM9tMr19uFw2.jpg

ibdP4XPSrmZFne.jpg

at first I thought it could be a map of Sweden, because of the Swedish website.. but no doesn´t look like that..

Rapstah

I think it's supposed to be a map, and it makes more sense if the white is water, but I don't think there's any way to find out where that could be on the planet. We have no scale, and it could be pretty much anywhere. I did some Tineyeing and Google Image reverse searching and nothing came up, maybe there's more if you invert the colours or something. Google results will be too general anyway.

Yeah, this. In retrospect it is batshit insane that the whole time you were snake, like in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid 2, you were actually doing heroic shit for the wrong fucking party.

How can I, with this knowledge in mind, play these games again and kill Big Boss while I now know he was actually doing the good thing in opposing the Patriots?

No, Big Boss was just as wrong as the Patriots. He even admits he screwed up at the end of MGS4.

Varth

I always intended that "Ground Zeroes" was the name of *that* teaser for MGSV, and the fact that this surfaced as "Phantom Pain" pushes me further in that direction. I wonder if next one (when could it be? Is there anything earlier than E3?) will have another subtitle.

About prosthetic arm guy: any crazy theory on him being Liquid/GrayFox/Ocelot? I know some of those wouldn't match (left/right arm), but hey, this is Kojima :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom