• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

The portion of Scandinavia distorted into a whale tail looks spot on to me, but I'm not going to go near looking for faces in pictures, that is truly the path to madness.
w6R8X.png

yup

MOG4k.png

eso76

I thought grey fox wanted big boss dead

No, Big boss saved him during the Mozambican civil war

According to wiki

Big boss saved him when he was a child soldier in early 60's
Then grey fox was brainwashed and as null he tried to kill big boss in portable ops.
Then he was sent to a rehabilitation facility
He later takes part in mozambican civil war as a renamo soldier (1977), he's captured and tortured (ears and nose cut off) big boss saves him again.
After this we know he's in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian bush war (ended in 1979).

All signs would point towards ground zero/phantom pain being set in south Africa or Rhodesia itself (dog shown when demoing fox engine is a rhodesian ridgeback).

Who knows ?

Konami Office?
781af07143eb4bc787902f6a887b34ed.jpg

Damn. You may be right. Looks very similar.

No, Big boss saved him during the Mozambican civil war

According to wiki

Big boss saved him when he was a child soldier in early 60's
Then grey fox was brainwashed and as null he tried to kill big boss in portable ops.
Then he was sent to a rehabilitation facility
He later takes part in mozambican civil war as a renamo soldier (1977), he's captured and tortured (ears and nose cut off) big boss saves him again.
After this we know he's in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian bush war (ended in 1979).

All signs would point towards ground zero/phantom pain being set in south Africa or Rhodesia itself (dog shown when demoing fox engine is a rhodesian ridgeback).

Who knows ?

Wiki is very incomplete and not updated to the current canon. MGS TUS is the only source to follow at this point.

http://www.metalgearsolid.net/gray-fox

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 5

Prologue: Ground Zero

Some accident happens that causes big boss to lose his left forearm. Grey fox also gets Hurt. This is where it all began (Ground Zero"

Act 1: Phantom Pain

Big boss has to deal with phantom painhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain a common condition an amputee experiences when they have lost a limb. It also is symbolic of the pain he is in when searching for Zero.

Metal Gear Solid 5

Prologue: Ground Zero

Some accident happens that causes big boss to lose his left forearm. Grey fox also gets Hurt. This is where it all began (Ground Zero"

Act 1: Phantom Pain

Big boss has to deal with phantom painhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain a common condition an amputee experiences when they have lost a limb. It also is symbolic of the pain he is in when searching for Zero.

I somewhat agree with this notion, however the "escape" takes place after the amputation. You can see that Big Boss and Kiefer Sutherland are still wearing the bandages, and it's an ambulance/van they're riding which has pills falling all over when it rolls. The crash is after Big Boss escapes the hospital.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The author of the theme is Jesper Hultén -- http://www.mobydickstudio.se/wp-content/themes/responsive-child/style.css?ver=1.7.9

He is also the owner of the domain - http://whois.net/whois/mobydickstudio.se

Huh?

It's a free Wordpress theme.

I always intended that "Ground Zeroes" was the name of *that* teaser for MGSV, and the fact that this surfaced as "Phantom Pain" pushes me further in that direction. I wonder if next one (when could it be? Is there anything earlier than E3?) will have another subtitle.

If they pull a similar stunt in the future with a new subtitle then it all becomes pretty clear I guess. Don't think there's any special event before E3, though.

It looks like it might be Great Zimbabwe

https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...eEeHa2AWpuoDgDg&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=948

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/great-zimbabwe

That would make sense with all the speculation of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and Mozambique. Zimbabwe was also a British colony until 1979

Very interesting thought...I'm going to dig deeper with it. See if I come up with anything. I've been searching for an hour or two using generic keywords. Trying to pinpoint style and/or setting with my marginal art history knowledge. I've only studied thoroughly Impressionism/post-Impressionism to the point of recognition.

Some interesting searches so far using 'Great Zimbabwe', though...

Who are those ladies? HIDECHAN radio or something?

The one on the left is Sayaka Yamamoto, she was involved with Japanese MGO streams/tournaments. I don't know her actual role at Kojima Productions. I think it's PR.

The woman on the right is Christine Kogure I think, who co-hosts the KP Report.

rvy

Banned
The one on the left is Sayaka Yamamoto, she was involved with Japanese MGO streams/tournaments. I don't know her actual role at Kojima Productions. I think it's PR.

The woman on the right is Christine Kogure I think, who co-hosts the KP Report.

Thanks.

I somewhat agree with this notion, however the "escape" takes place after the amputation. You can see that Big Boss and Kiefer Sutherland are still wearing the bandages, and it's an ambulance/van they're riding which has pills falling all over when it rolls. The crash is after Big Boss escapes the hospital.

I will also add that the steering wheel is on the right side, the bandaged guy is driving the vehicle. Not sure this matters.

Kojima makes fake scandinavion company as front for game, it's really not reaching to think they'd just take a map of Norway and Sweden and distort the bottom as a callback to that fact. At all.

Exactly, and it means people can stop staring at to find some deeper meaning. I'm surprised it had one at all, but that one will do for me.

I will also add that the steering wheel is on the right side, the bandaged guy is driving the vehicle. Not sure this matters.

British flag hints the place has british ownership, which would likely mean right hand drive.

Like FOX and XOF are mirrored, maybe the whole trailer is also mirrored. Then the steering wheel will be on the left side, the amputated arm becomes his right arm and the Union Jack can be mirrored without any problem,

Like FOX and XOF are mirrored, maybe the whole trailer is also mirrored. Then the steering wheel will be on the left side, the amputated arm becomes his right arm and the Union Jack can be mirrored without any problem,

Not possible because in the first scene there's a list of numbers 1 to 16 written on a board. Arm doesn't appear in that shot but the background of the map and flag match shots with the arm in.

eso76

It looks like it might be Great Zimbabwe

https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...eEeHa2AWpuoDgDg&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=948

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/great-zimbabwe

That would make sense with all the speculation of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and Mozambique. Zimbabwe was also a British colony until 1979

Nice find, cant find the painting (assuming it even exists) but it's definitely Zimbabwe ruins
Not possible because in the first scene there's a list of numbers 1 to 16 written on a board. Arm doesn't appear in that shot but the background of the map and flag match shots with the arm in.

It wouldn't be mirrored 'literally' anyway, letters would be reversed etc. just key elements like eye patch etc. But I don't think this is the case anyway.

Was it confirmed that ground zeroes is set in Guantanamo bay ?
Has to be a different location anyway, we clearly see an american flag there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cuba for GZ.
The UK for Phantom Pain seems very likely given the flag and steering wheel.
Edit: or this
They drive right hand drive in Zimbabwe (ex british colony)

Big Boss's first coma was for Les Enfants Teribles in 1972. His second and third comas were after Outer Heaven and Zanzibar respectively.

Ground Zeroes was confirmed to take place after Peace Walker, so if Phantom Pain takes place after Ground Zeroes, it looks like a new coma is being injected into the canon storyline since it seems very doubtful than Phantom Pain takes place after Outer Heaven (Big Boss would look much older than he does in Phantom Pain)

If the trailer was mirrored, it would give credence to the theory that this is actually Liquid before Big Shell in a brand new story we never knew about, but the rotary dial makes that relatively unlikely and as somebody pointed out there are numbers that could not be mirrored.

The man in bandages could be Grey Fox, but it would not be him during reconstructive surgery before Shadow Moses. As pointed out, Big Boss would look much older by that point in the story and would have grey hair, not brown.

NYR94

This is a cropped pic from Kojima's twitter posted back in the summer. When it first came out I thought the vehicles looked like ambulances with the lights/sirens on the top.

FQXjG.jpg

1972 Chevrolet Vanguard Ambulance

Xs7Rt.jpg

Vamphuntr

Pretty sure this and Ground Zeroes are the same game now. My guess is that the hospital part of the Phantom Pain trailer is the introduction to the game.

Nothing confirms that Phantom Pain is the official subtitle anyway. Kojima probably named the trailer this way since he likes to create speculations.

The only weird thing is Big Boss's artificial arm but hey it's not the first time Kojima modifies something in the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom