• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

This is our in. We can spin this.

Fucking Merkel - who does she think she is, telling us proud Brits what we can or can't do. Telling us our referendum is irrversible. Oh she'd love that wouldn't she - forcing us out of Europe so nobody can fight for the rights of the little guy. We haven't even enacted article 50 and she's already dancing on our graves. We're British and we can decide what to do ourselves, without bloody Germany telling us. If we want to reverse the referendum we bloody will and here ain't nothing you can do to stop us.
The most ironic thing is how accurate this is.

liquidtmd

Banned

Fucking Merkel - who does she think she is, telling us proud Brits what we can or can't do. Telling us our referendum is irrversible. Oh she'd love that wouldn't she - forcing us out of Europe so nobody can fight for the rights of the little guy. We haven't even enacted article 50 and she's already dancing on our graves. We're British and we can decide what to do ourselves, without bloody Germany telling us. If we want to reverse the referendum we bloody will and here ain't nothing you can do to stop us.

20160213_EUP002_0.jpg

'I'm not saying it's reverse psychology, I'm saying it's psychology....in reverse'

Fistwell

So, what was Farage's deal with his speech at the Euro parliament yesterday? Was he trying to insult, patronize, provoke and just plain antagonize Europe into giving Britain a better deal in future negociations?

"Give us access to your open market, it's in your best interest to do what we want." Say wat m8? That a threat old chap? All the benefits none of the responsabilities... ? Sure, buddy.

As a non-UK European, it was entertaining enough to watch. But then it's kinda like he's trying to sabotage UK's position in future negociations by acting the arrogant prick on TV (I'm gonna assume a lot of people saw at least parts of that speech on the news throughout Europe). What's the fucking point?

Originally posted in the Euro 2016 thread lol. Stealth edited that post into inane comment along the lines of "go france wuhu."

Dougald

I'd truest the 'Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party' more than most. Don't mind their party colors.

tumblr_n9us2lWv651qao1lqo1_500.jpg

If only some of our other candidates would accidentally brutally cut their heads off while combing their hair

oti

Banned

Tell'er mate.

a390b74f882499506780bfc56dcd5168.jpg

So, what was Farage's deal with his speech at the Euro parliament yesterday? Was he trying to insult, patronize, provoke and just plain antagonize Europe into giving Britain a better deal in future negociations?

"Give us access to your open market, it's in your best interest to do what we want." Say wat m8? That a threat old chap? All the benefits none of the responsabilities... ? Sure, buddy.

As a non-UK European, it was entertaining enough to watch. But then it's kinda like he's trying to sabotage UK's position in future negociations by acting the arrogant prick on TV (I'm gonna assume a lot of people saw at least parts of that speech on the news throughout Europe). What's the fucking point?

He wants the UK to suffer economy wise, it benefits him and his offshore investments, guy is a utter fraud pretending to stand up for the Little man of England yet he will shit on them from a great height.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Given his history in parliament it seems like he would've been a right tit either way, regardless of upcoming negotiations. He would've found a way to gloat and insult MEPs even if Remain won, I bet.

What a plonker.

Originally posted in the Euro 2016 thread lol. Stealth edited that post into inane comment along the lines of "go france wuhu."
A lot of his base will eat that up 'look at Farage sticking it to those EU bureaucrats!', not realising (or not caring) that he's hurting our chances of a good relationship with Europe.

EGM1966

He's a buffon who thinks he's won something and is revelling in it.

It's irritating but he's just a circus sideshow to the main event.

Spladam

He wants the UK to suffer economy wise, it benefits him and his offshore investments, guy is a utter fraud pretending to stand up for the Little man of England yet he will shit on them from a great height.
You really think he has a scheme like that running in his head? Or is he just a jack-ass who is drunk on his power like D. Trump? He seemed to just like insulting people and acting a part without any REAL understanding of what the implications might be, despite his history in the financial services industry. He doesn't strike me as all that clever.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tell'er mate.

a390b74f882499506780bfc56dcd5168.jpg

Ah, the British bulldog. Once a fierce creature used in blood sports, now a fart making, obese caricature of its former self unable to give birth without medical assistance due to massive inbreeding.

There's a political joke to be made here.

Lego Boss

Malcolm Tucker?

I like the thinking. Increasingly it feels as if this aligning around a fudge that big that Cornwall ends up drifting off into the Atlantic. There is no precedent for this, so we're all just building an aeroplane as we go along.

You really think he has a scheme like that running in his head? Or is he just a jack-ass who is drunk on his power like D. Trump? He seemed to just like insulting people and acting a part without any REAL understanding of what the implications might be, despite his history in the financial services industry. He doesn't strike me as all that clever.

He isn't clever but his financial adviser likely is, Farage comes across as a bit lacking in any sort of intelligence to be honest.

oti

Banned
Is there some context to this? Because i'm pretty sure that decision isn't up to her. Merkel saying that "invoking article 50 is irreversible" would make more sense, but wether to honour a british referendum is surely entirely up to britain?

"Ich will ganz offen sagen, dass ich keinen Weg sehe, dies wieder umzukehren"

"I want to be honest, I don't see a way to reverse this".

Merkel hates this just as much as every other sane person does.

Apocalypse averted or dead cat bounce? A bit pissed if pound never hits 1.25usd, have a big order in place.
You want to look to the 250 rather than the more geographically diversified 100. We're in something of a holding pattern. It will depend a lot on who ends up in charge and what steps they take to work with the rest of Europe to minimise further damage.

England being represented by Theresa May, Jeremy Hunt or Boris is just... ergh. One hates Civil and Human Rights, another did his best to break the education system and one of them is Boris.

El-Suave

I learned something pretty interesting on German TV yesterday, when Greenland voted for an exit from the EU predecessor in the 80's the negotiations took much longer than the two years that are the negotiation period in the contracts. Things were too complicated back then to solve within two years - and those were negotiations about 55000 people and an economy based mainly on fishing. This will be a nightmare to negotiate once Britain makes up their minds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Malcolm Tucker?

I like the thinking. Increasingly it feels as if this aligning around a fudge that big that Cornwall ends up drifting off into the Atlantic. There is no precedent for this, so we're all just building an aeroplane as we go along.

pweHDLt.jpg

You want to look to the 250 rather than the more geographically diversified 100. We're in something of a holding pattern. It will depend a lot on who ends up in charge and what steps they take to work with the rest of Europe to minimise further damage.

Yeah the FTSE 250 contains the non multinational UK businesses, the markets tend to respond only to actual bad news, the upcoming shitstorm will turn the market into an escalator type downward track but over a long period. There is nothing happening now so it's a little peaceful, still a lot of companies thinking it won't happen that somehow it will have been put on the back burner, but just wait till article 50 is triggered holy moly...

Hasney

Yeah, it's now not chaos for a lot of business that are only based in the UK, but it ain't great. Think everything is just waiting to see just what deal we can get for now, but the businesses that can't wait will restructure in that time since we're waiting until October....

Zelias

Banned

Remain should have fought the referendum on a platform of 'Fuck the EU, let's stay in to antagonise the European bastards'.

We'd have won by a landslide :/

Maledict

Yeah, I was going to say.

The city is pricing in the idea that article 50 won't happen. It's been going on since the weekend, when it became apparent no-one was rushing to do it, and came to a head yesterday. The longer it goes before activating, the less likelihood there is of it happening. Behind closed doors the people who find the Conservative party, and who fund the tax base of the country, have been ripping off people's heads at this mess.

PJV3

Happens to be true as well. The Sell, Sell, Sell pitch is easier when your investors believe you of course, which initially they did in large numbers.

Not so much today.

We went from definitely going to not entirely sure, it will be good to finally get the show going in September.

Spladam

I learned something pretty interesting on German TV yesterday, when Greenland voted for an exit from the EU predecessor in the 80's the negotiations took much longer than the two years that are the negotiation period in the contracts. Things were too complicated back then to solve within two years - and those were negotiations about 55000 people and an economy based mainly on fishing. This will be a nightmare to negotiate once Britain makes up their minds.

I get the same impression, SO many trade deals, SO many new rules, SO much upsetting of rich people, SO many regulations to re-write, it would take a decade. I really don't think an exit is going to happen folks. I don't think Europe wants it to happen, and in three more months, I don't think the UK will want it to happen. Not after this shit storm.

Vagabundo

Don't worry lads the Irish have your back. There is a strong push now to make sure that there is free travel and trade between Ireland and the UK. Since Enda has a veto at the table they are going to stick to that line since the economic and political impact is too big for Ireland.

Your welcome. ;)

Fistwell

So, in summary, he's being a dick to Europe because that's what his supporters want to see, having his 15 minutes of glory by celebrating his victory by being an arrogant prick, possibly furthering his own economical interests (while fucking up that of his electors), and generally not giving a shit about what's to come...
Brilliant. Also, if he's ever out of a job Front National will have him. Or would if he wasn't a dirty foreign national.

The city is pricing in the idea that article 50 won't happen. It's been going on since the weekend, when it became apparent no-one was rushing to do it, and came to a head yesterday. The longer it goes before activating, the less likelihood there is of it happening. Behind closed doors the people who find the Conservative party, and who fund the tax base of the country, have been ripping off people's heads at this mess.

Conservative party will lose a shit ton of donations from business partners especially the larger ones who will suffer the most, I can only imagine the damage it will do to any forthcoming election campaigns. Will they seriously risk that, I have my doubts.

avaya

Ssssssh. No one is supposed to find out yet.

Tk0n

Give it a few months, job loss announcements, higher prices, higher VAT and loads of bad news will soon turn the tide in massive numbers.

i dont think so.
the average leave voter will just say that its all the fault of the eu.
maybe even more people would vote leave when there is an economic downturn and the eu is "blocking" by not accepting unacceptable terms for the uk and not giving boris and nigel the stuff they promissed to the leave voters.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, I'm not even sure if the EU would allow the UK not to invoke Article 50 and let things remain the same.

Surely enough there has to be some corrective applied, lest not allow other members to get funny ideas. The EU is going to face some really strong calls for discipline.

PJV3

Conservative party will lose a shit ton of donations from business partners especially the larger ones who will suffer the most, I can only imagine the damage it will do to any forthcoming election campaigns. Will they seriously risk that, I have my doubts.

I love that they have put all their work since Thatcher at risk, the EU kept the left sort of content and the right fired up with indignation.

kmag

Don't worry lads the Irish have your back. There is a strong push now to make sure that there is free travel and trade between Ireland and the UK. Since Enda has a veto at the table they are going to stick to that line since the economic and political impact is too big for Ireland.

Your welcome. ;)

All that veto will mean is that there's not a deal at the end of article 50 negotiations, because half the continent will veto a deal which gives the UK access to 3 of the 4 freedoms without the freedom of movement of people.

The EU isn't going to give ground on the 4 freedoms, it's the fundamental building block of the entire project.

Oh that is interesting - I hadn't hugely factored in that element. That must be pretty big pressure. Obviously all the rest of the time I'd argue that donor pressure is a bad thing, but as this could keep us in, I will 100% be a hypocrite here.

liquidtmd

Banned
Honestly, I'm not even sure if the EU would allow the UK not to invoke Article 50 and let things remain the same.

Surely enough there has to be some corrective applied, lest not allow other members to get funny ideas. The EU is going to face some really strong calls for discipline.

Kinda agree. If the UK turned it around to a Second Ref and didn't invoke, I can see the EU saying 'Well you can stay but don't think it's business as usual. We're going to make things tough and restrict you on a few things'. On paper nothing will have changed but the god damn relations and day to day reality would be different.

I'd take that though than the alternative.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

why? They're perfectly happy for countries to redo referenda until they get the result they'd prefer.

Vagabundo

Surely enough there has to be some corrective applied, lest not allow other members to get funny ideas.

The only way out is if there is a democratic mandate not to leave like a second referendum (doesn't seem likely in the short term) or a general election win by a party running on a remain platform.

I can see this government imploding int he next few months. Then Labour or the Lib Dems (are they still around?) need to get their shit together.

Lego Boss

Yes, even if we don't invoke it (it's looking like a busted flush, but you just don't know), the EU is gonna force us to suck something down, e.g. losing the veto.

Italy aren't going to let us get away with wiping £40BN off their markets just because we got emotional and two schoolboys decided that they were going to take a playground spat and gamble the world economy on it.

Mental moves.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How is that in the EU's hands?

Because even if it remains within the EU, sooner or later the UK will want to revise terms as it tends to do, not to mention that EU members are subject to a continued stream of decisions that may affect singular economies.

why? They're perfectly happy for countries to redo referenda until they get the result they'd prefer.

The EU has never liked the special, deeply asymmetrical status of the UK. It's always been a contentious issue. As Juncker put it, "It is not an amicable divorce, but it was not an intimate love affair anyway".

Fistwell

How is that in the EU's hands?
My understanding is that the EU has had an army of rabid lawyers looking into what can be done to pressure and/or force UK to get on with it since Friday, if not even earlier last week. They've been looking at article 50 from every which angle to find some way to get things moving forward.

Vagabundo

All that veto will mean is that there's not a deal at the end of article 50 negotiations, because half the continent will veto a deal which gives the UK access to 3 of the 4 freedoms without the freedom of movement of people.

The EU isn't going to give ground on the 4 freedoms, it's the fundamental building block of the entire project.

Yeah, even Enda said they're has to be freedom of movement of EU citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom