• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagamorph

How long would it take to organize a 2nd referendum ? (I doubt it's even in the cards but eh)
The EU isn't going to wait forever.

Organising it wouldn't take long at all.
The main bulk of time is taken up by campaigning rather than actual preparation of the referendum process itself.

liquidtmd

Banned
How long would it take to organize a 2nd referendum ? (I doubt it's even in the cards but eh)
The EU isn't going to wait forever.

On a practical level, I imagine they could do one with about a month's notice.

I hope they call a snap one on the grounds you quoted me on and don't campaign for it. No bullshit. Just say 'go research it and that's what we will do'

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really want to be seen as taking pot shots at our American cousins (I love you all dearly), but it can be argued that we've lost more culture to American imports than decades of immigration - be it pan-European or from other parts of the Commonwealth. I don't see anyone calling for banning Game of Thrones from UK TV screens (and if they did, I'd break the ban :p)]
Hey man, at least the UK has noteworthy original programming. The best German TV show is a The Office ripoff.

azyless

Organising it wouldn't take long at all.
The main bulk of time is taken up by campaigning rather than actual preparation of the referendum process itself.
Yeah that's what I meant.

On a practical level, I imagine they could do one with about a month's notice.

I hope they call a snap one on the grounds you quoted me on and don't campaign for it. No bullshit. Just say 'go research it and that's what we will do'
You have more hope in people researching things on their own than I do lol

Hey man, at least the UK has noteworthy original programming. The best German TV show is a The Office ripoff.

You wouldn't know it browsing through the EPG. Best TV for the past 3-4 weeks has been 'The Great British Sewing Bee'. Thank god for Amazon Prime and Netflix...

Hasney

Can we get an egg big enough for all of our faces?

AsdaCrop-20160308100236598.jpg

Actually one of the better top-level arguments, good post. I still disagree mind.

Just wanted to pick up on this point. I too believe in small government, which is why I voted remain. In my view handing more powers to a central Westminster is the very definition of big government. I'll say again, devolve power to the level where decision have the best impact for the people - that includes up to EU level as well as down to regional/county/district levels.
Thankies. It'd be boring if we all just flat out agreed on stuff without discussion :3
I'm open to the idea of some things being viable to being decided at a higher level, but I feel those things also have to be subjects less prone to change the further up they go (so it's less of a disaster if for any reason the office supposed to deal with those decisions is disrupted in some way... like Westminister right now for example :p ) Or at least that's how I feel about it at the moment. The issue is how we ultimately decide which level is optimal for what decisions. I guess I also worry about bigger government because it means the effects are potentially worse and wider reaching if corruption ever seeps into it.

Not really. America is beating us hard.

We've got Dr Who, Sherlock and some one off bbc dramas that's it these days.

When it comes to quality TV I think Sweden/Norway has the world beat - but I don't want to be seen as inflaming a loss of EU culture debate ;)

Thankies. It'd be boring if we all just flat out agreed on stuff without discussion :3
I'm open to the idea of some things being viable to being decided at a higher level, but I feel those things also have to be subjects less prone to change the further up they go (so it's less of a disaster if for any reason the office supposed to deal with those decisions is disrupted in some way... like Westminister right now for example :p ) Or at least that's how I feel about it at the moment. The issue is how we ultimately decide which level is optimal for what decisions. I guess I also worry about bigger government because it means the effects are potentially worse and wider reaching if corruption ever seeps into it.

Saying the EU has too much power is one thing, saying the EU should have no power is something very different.

I'm not personally sure about the former, but the people just voted for the later without discussing the former.

Bold One

I work in a media company as an editor, one of my managers who is over-looking the Brexit mess just blurt out that Wales should be gassed.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
We've got Dr Who, Sherlock and some one off bbc dramas that's it these days.
Well, I'm not too sure about the situation at this exact moment since, as a non-native, I usually only watch shows after they are made available to me and not as they air, but I can think of quite a few British shows I've enjoyed in my time. In no particular order (except The Thick of It being on top because it's the best):

• The Thick of It
  • Black Mirror
  • Sherlock
  • Peep Show
  • Dr. Who
  • The Office
  • Luther
  • The IT Crowd
Just a few I can think of right now. Certainly more than German ones I can think of and this doesn't even cover non-fiction shows like QI or Top Gear or the BBC's excellent documentary output. Though you're right that there would be more American ones, probably, but that doesn't mean Britain's output isn't noteworthy.

Well, I'm not too sure about the situation at this exact moment since, as a non-native, I usually only watch shows after they are made available to me and not as they air, but I can think of quite a few British shows I've enjoyed in my time. In no particular order (except The Thick of It being on top because it's the best):

• The Thick of It
  • Black Mirror
  • Sherlock
  • Peep Show
  • Dr. Who
  • The Office
  • Luther
  • The IT Crowd
Just a few I can think of right now. Certainly more than German ones I can think of right now, and this doesn't even cover non-fiction shows like QI or Top Gear or the BBC's excellent documentary output. Though you're right that there would be more American ones, probably, but that doesn't mean Britain's output isn't noteworthy.
Peaky Blinders mate

8bit

Knows the Score
SNP going in hard on the trolling thing, apparently going to ask to be declared official opposition in Parliament today since their leader has backing of more MPs than Labour.

I suggested Eton Mess... Happy to see it won (probably other suggested it as well)

I listened to Farage yesterday in Brussels.

Sigh its difficult to admit but I couldn't disagree with what he was saying overall. He is a smart guy. I have cone to terms we are leaving, but I can't help but wonder why the conservative party caved in to offering a referendum to stop folk going to UKIP last election, and why they even had it.

We need a real leader here, we need someone who isn't afraid to do the greater good regardless of their own personal view (looking at Cameron who is jumping ship). There is no one in the political spectrum (maybe scottish conservative leader Ruth Davidson) that ticks those boxes.

Conservatives? No leader
Labour? Besieged Corbyn who did nothing in the referendum
Lib Dems? Willie Rennie is their scottish leader but ERM...
SNP? They have their heads in the clouds (white paper for independence ref last time)
UKIP? Shudder

The time wasn't right we have no leaders to guide us through these stormy seas, we need a new election, this is very extreme circumstances.

Saying the EU has too much power is one thing, saying the EU should have no power is something very different.

I'm not personally sure about the former, but the people just voted for the later without discussing the former.
Well... the vote we were given didn't really have that level of nuance to it, hence me erring on the side of 'none' :p

SNP going in hard on the trolling thing, apparently going to ask to be declared official opposition in Parliament today since their leader has backing of more MPs than Labour.
I'd imagine that 'having more MPs backing you than Labour' is a pretty low bar to aim for right now. We could probably get the monster raving loony party or the ducks outside number 10 in as opposition using that metric :eek:

I'd ask what aspect of British culture you are trying to save/fear is being lost?

Ok I guess you are trying to get me to say something cringeworthy like tea and biscuits and antiques roadshow and cricket In a country village or some such.

All I am saying is the default operating mode for countries in the world is trade agreements where possible but decide how many people and what qualifications they have at a minimum and in what fields, and how many poor desperate refugees, can be absorbed and integrated per year. In my opinion the world screwing up Iraq and not dealing with Syria and so on and especially leaving Germany to struggle with refugees had made a crisis in the EU that is scaring populations there.

But I am saying that I can understand why half the British people are asking: why can't we operate as a country the way Canada, Australia, Japan and USA to name just a few, do? Why is that now prohibited? when did it become unworkable?

Hasney

I listened to Farage yesterday in Brussels.

Sigh its difficult to admit but I couldn't disagree with what he was saying overall. He is a smart guy. I have cone to terms we are leaving, but I can't help but wonder why the conservative party caved in to offering a referendum to stop folk going to UKIP last election, and why they even had it.

He didn't talk any sense and was just shouting because he won and had a platform. Don't let the fact that he's a good public speaker fool you, any time a fact was brorought out, he was wrong. We only buy a small portion of German cars and for reference, that includes the "British" cars like Rolls Royce that are actually German owned (and just have a screwdriver plant here).

This is the man that has taken up smoking again as he believes the doctors have got it wrong. Never let him make you believe he's smart in any way other than rallying people behind him.

Walshicus

Ok I guess you are trying to get me to say something cringeworthy like tea and biscuits and antiques roadshow and cricket In a country village or some such.

All I am saying is the default operating mode for countries in the world is trade agreements where possible but decide how many people and what qualifications they have at a minimum and in what fields, and how many poor desperate refugees, can be absorbed and integrated per year. In my opinion the world screwing up Iraq and not dealing with Syria and so on and especially leaving Germany to struggle with refugees had made a crisis in the EU that is scaring populations there.

But I am saying that I can understand why half the British people are asking: why can't we operate as a country the way Canada, Australia, Japan and USA to name just a few, do? Why is that now prohibited? when did it become unworkable?

Because we had nearly two generations within the Single Market reaping the benefits of that on our growth etc... and now the shock will be when we lose that.

Remember we were the 'sick man of Europe' before we joined. And sure, the world has changed since then, but the crisis is the sudden shock of losing all those years of built up benefits.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
He didn't talk any sense and was just shouting because he won and had a platform. Don't let the fact that he's a good public speaker fool you, any time a fact was brorought out, he was wrong. We only buy a small portion of German cars and for reference, that includes the "British" cars like Rolls Royce that are actually German owned (and just have a screwdriver plant here)?

This is the man that has taken up smoking again as he believes the doctors have got it wrong. Never let him make you believe he's smart in any way other than rallying people behind him.

Aye, and he relies on the fact that he'll be reported according to prevailing standards of journalistic neutrality, which is to say, 'Nigel Farage said things are going pretty well and that the UK is the biggest trading partner of the EU', not, 'Nigel Farage lied about things going well and saying that the UK is the biggest trading partner of the EU'.

liquidtmd

Banned
Umh, Farage is an utter idiot. His overall message is idiotic.

His overall message yesterday was akin to what we say when we've had a few beers. Baked in emotion and 'fuck the system's rhetoric.

Sounds great at the time but falls apart in the sober daylight and not a fucking great idea to tell them pre-negotiaion talks.

Its the equivalent of going to your boss when you have no money, announcing your handing in your P45 soon but not yet, telling him he's a bell-end and then trying to work out a good payoff package.

azyless

It's obviously not since they just did it.

Aye, and he relies on the fact that he'll be reported according to prevailing standards of journalistic neutrality, which is to say, 'Nigel Farage said things are going pretty well and that the UK is the biggest trading partner of the EU', not, 'Nigel Farage lied about things going well and saying that the UK is the biggest trading partner of the EU'.
This is seriously getting annoying and harmful. Newspapers need to check the facts about what politicians say and call them out on it. That is happening way too little and I don't even understand why.

Spladam

External attribution of blame would fall on deaf ears.
This is an Eton mess of the UK's own making.
I'm learning so much about the U.K. from these threads. As a Yankee, the title made no sense to me :)
205px-Eton_Mess_with_strawberry_coulis.jpg

I don't think the world blames all of you guys, if that's any consolidation. Just 52% of the population and David Cameron for proposing this crap. At least he fell on his own sword to stop Article 50 right?
There was a lot of drama about Farage's comments to the EU parliament, but I don't see the EU blaming all of U.K. for the view of the UKIP. I don't see his comments weakening the bargaining position as much as some think. Just my take on this from across the pond.

Zelias

Banned
This is seriously getting annoying and harmful. Newspapers need to check the facts about what politicians say and call them out on it. That is happening way too little and I don't even understand why.
It's easy to understand why - they are biased and many of them, certainly the biggest selling ones, push a right-wing, anti-Europe Little Englander narrative. They're not going to challenge Farage or anyone else talking shit because they're on the same side.

theaface

Morning dejected friends.

Today I will be adopting the gallows humour approach to coping. The Sun got me off to a good start with the opening line of their most recent article...

DEFEATED euro-fanatics, still seething over last week’s thrashing...

himZD0M.gif

I don't think the world blames all of you guys, if that's any consolidation. Just 52% of the population and David Cameron for proposing this crap.

How is this stuff about 52% not being enough any different from 'Obama is not a legitimate president, only 51,1% of people voted for him'

Juicy Bob

Been seriously considering returning to Australia, although that is hardly a bastion of progressiveness these days, but there is an election soon I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom