• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

You know, I hate Lori as much as the next person, but I will say the "carl shot him" moment was incredibly well acted.

Not only that, but everyone and their mom posts memes on facebook. Nerd culture has pretty much gone mainstream.

Yeah it's actually been a while since someone has ragged on me about my nerdy interests. My dad used to be the first person to nag, since he wanted me to learn to work on cars, not read comics. We had zero in common. Now days we talk about LOST and "feelings" that are brought up on Facebook. My "manly" hunter/country music type uncles watch Walking Dead and my grandmother even watches Game of Thrones and plays Age of Empires Online with me. haha

(in fairness, I think I get my geek gene from grandma...when I was going to college I lived with her and she would sit and watch Hercules, Xena, Blade and Highlander all day long on TNT or USA).

Mully

It sounds like they are villanizing Rick to set up
the group having enough with him in the prison and running to the Wiltshire Estates, only to meet the Governor. Some will make it back and plead with Rick to save them.

big ander

Those numbers would be insane if that wasn't the precedent TWD had set.
It sounds like they are villanizing Rick to set up
the group having enough with him in the prison and running to the Wiltshire Estates, only to meet the Governor. Some will make it back and plead with Rick to save them.
I've been getting confused with the last few pages: are we being more hardline with keeping comic discussion out or are we letting it by as long as it's tagged?

I've been getting confused with the last few pages: are we being more hardline with keeping comic discussion out or are we letting it by as long as it's tagged?
If people want to talk extensively about S3 plot lines with respect to the comics (like that post), they should use one of the other threads.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
http://i.minus.com/iOKqc0FzkunKp.gif[img]
"Mad Men isn't getting jizztastic ratings, we need to come up with a new show that will."

"How about this zombie comic?"

"Sure why not, give it a shoestring budget so if it fails we won't be out too much cash."

[B]<The Walking Dead season 1 and 2 happen.>[/B]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/death-of-superman-crei4k30.gif[img]

"What should we do with all this money? Put it back in the show?"

"Let's buy some more coke."[/QUOTE]

I stole this. This show's popularity seems to be directly proportional to its level of badness.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
As someone who until late worked in prison telecommunications I can assure you there are plenty of abandoned prisons out there. Some abandoned despite being brand new and never lived in.

I thought we had a prison overpopulation problem!

Wherever this prison is (if it in facts looks like the shot at the end of the show), it's a great looking location.

Wonder how people will react when they stay at the Prison for 80% of Season 3.

It's the same premise, but on a larger "stage"

hamchan

Top rated show on cable.

Cut 35% of the budget.

Damn AMC. Now Mad Men is my favorite show but even I think AMC is being dumb by giving them all the monies and not TWD.

bengraven

I thought we had a prison overpopulation problem!

Wherever this prison is (if it in facts looks like the shot at the end of the show), it's a great looking location.

Wonder how people will react when they stay at the Prison for 80% of Season 3.

It's the same premise, but on a larger "stage"

They said they want to ramp up the pace, so we don't know if they're going to stay at the prison all season. We assume because they stayed at the farm all season.
in the comics they stay at the farm, what, 2 issues? 3 tops?
So we don't know whether this is the only location. Since I know a bit of the story they're going to tell I wonder if there's another big location in the next season.

Also, I loved how the last season's finale and this season's kind of went together with the Jenner reveal. I wonder if the next season will end with a helicopter being sighted...or something similar.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So exactly how great are these numbers? Whats the second most popular show on TV? Are these numbers as dominant as say, Call of Duty numbers in the gaming world?

Top rated show on cable.

Cut 35% of the budget.

Damn AMC. Now Mad Men is my favorite show but even I think AMC is being dumb by giving them all the monies and not TWD.

FYI - season 2 of Game of Thrones got a 15% budget increase.

That's how it works in the normal world. Who knows wtf AMC is doing.

MisterHero

Top rated show on cable.

Cut 35% of the budget.

Lol Walt from Comic Book Men handles AMC's budget

Walking Dead crew: "I have this show called Walking Dead, it's pretty good and gets lots of viewers."

Walt: "I'll give you $50."

FYI - season 2 of Game of Thrones got a 15% budget increase.

That's how it works in the normal world. Who knows wtf AMC is doing.

GoT really needed that budget increase, to me it really was hurting in the first season visually due to it's lack of budget and to do the next books justice they need to put a bit more into that show.

Walking Dead though really doesn't need a high budget, even if they follow the comic books, nothing in them really warrants massive budgets. The first season stuff was some of the more expensive parts and they kinda tried to go beyond what was needed with the horrible CDC stuff. Show also has the advantage in that characters are so easy to get rid of instead of having to increase the actor pay each season like most shows.

Lonestar

rewatching the opening of the pilot, with Shane and Rick in the car. Just feels weird, knowing how the relationship went in the end.

hamchan

So exactly how great are these numbers? Whats the second most popular show on TV? Are these numbers as dominant as say, Call of Duty numbers in the gaming world?

It was already coming first place in cable viewership before. Now this is just completely crushing everyone else. A 4.7 adults 18-49 rating is really high. It beats everything on broadcast too.

Lonestar

Did you catch the imagery they intended with Shane dipping his french fry into Rick's ketchup?

Yeah, I remembered that from then, and again now. But still, hard to read Shane face as Rick's unloading on him about Lori. Not sure I read anything from it.

I also realized: Coma did Rick good, in the aiming department. Couldn't hit the first "bandit" at all, and got shot in the vest first :lol

hamchan

rewatching the opening of the pilot, with Shane and Rick in the car. Just feels weird, knowing how the relationship went in the end.

Omg I'm watching it too and the way Rick is describing Lori to Shane she sounds like a freaking crazy woman. So she was a nutter way before this zombie thing happened.

Go_Ly_Dow

Rick opening the barn door for all the zombies would make an excellent .gif

Add a floating caption with "Juniors" above their heads and it would be perfect.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Those ratings are insane. Wow.

Walking-Dead-Patricia-Eaten-1332136395.jpg

oh shit haha

bengraven

I enjoy the same jokes made about Pawn Stars

Yes, they have a business to run

In fairness, having listened to Walt on his podcasts, his style of ripping people off pisses me off more than Rick on P**n Stars. I know he's doing it because he's extremely cheap and he gets a small high by feeling he's ripped someone off. Rick is trying to make money. Walt has a fetish.

The Highlands History podcast with him and Kevin talking about going to swap meets helps emphasize this. Walt sees a hockey VHS he really wants that's $5. He offers the lady something like a quarter. The lady gets pissed. He straight up gets into a loud verbal argument with the lady over this VHS. He refuses to pay more than a few cents and she starts charging him even more. 10 dollars, then nothing. No price is high enough. I think he almost explodes.

His bizarre views on life rival Karl from Idiot Abroad as well and Kevin is his Ricky, obsessed with this friend and his bizarre views on life.

bill0527

I hope all the money they saved by 95% of season 2 being on ONE location will be poored into S3's budget. FFS. The show really needs to step up the pacing in the non-finale episodes. Someone else here on GAF compared it to recent seasons of Dexter, where the highs are really good, but everything else is dragged-out filler.

Anyway, liked the finale and that they're hinting at some real changes in the future.

If they up the budget, they need to make sure a lot of people on the crew get paid.

According to that Sam Witwer interview posted the other day, a lot of people behind the scenes took pay cuts to work on the show because they wanted to work with Frank Darabont. Now Darabont is gone and those people are now locked into a show that's setting record ratings, and they're still getting sub-par pay.

KorrZ

I love the direction they're taking with Rick, but the way they tried to do what seemed like making him a villain at the end, I just hope they aren't going to kill Rick off anytime soon. No one is safe though, right?

Lonestar

If they up the budget, they need to make sure a lot of people on the crew get paid.

According to that Sam Witwer interview posted the other day, a lot of people behind the scenes took pay cuts to work on the show because they wanted to work with Frank Darabont. Now Darabont is gone and those people are now locked into a show that's setting record ratings, and they're still getting sub-par pay.

And with a stroke of a pen, can become Dinner.

Still: This show needs More Lennie James

I love the direction they're taking with Rick, but the way they tried to do what seemed like making him a villain at the end, I just hope they aren't going to kill Rick off anytime soon. No one is safe though, right?

Rick may as well be the title character. He is the man that animates this group of idiots.

Tunic

So happy and excited to hear the good news on the number of viewers the Season 2 finale received last night. Is it Fall yet?

Lonestar

Pilot Dale has a different color hat, but Pilot Lori STILL wants to get in a car and leave on her own (to put up signs on highway 85, warning people away from Atlanta.)

Which, btw, highway 85 (or State Road 85) is south of Atlanta, going between Columbus and Atlanta. So maybe Rick/Shane/Lori/Carl are from that way, instead of north of Atlanta.

Also, for authenticity, the herd that took down the farm, should have had a Gary Whitta Zombie Cameo.

thekad

Banned
Why give TWD more money if they won't spend it on better writers? I'd rather they throw it away on Weiner's second beach house.

yeah Lori sucks. I hate her.

Lori was tolerable through the last half of season 2 but this final episode definitely pushed her back to my hate list. How can any person in their right mind not see that Shane held a gun to Rick's head? Why would there be any question of Rick's decision in the case? I swear Carl and Lori have been the biggest obstacles in this series so far. In fact, if it weren't for Carl I really think they would have avoided significant calamity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom