• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

Last week I visited Great Adventure so I could cover Fright Fest Media Day... If anyone would like to read a review of the event and the haunts, plus look at some nice pics, here is the link

http://gamingshogun.com/2016/09/27/fright-fest-2016-six-flags-great-adventure-review/

I took a trip to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood last Thursday. I thought the mazes were really well made and the purge scarezones were surprisingly effective

Also, a few of the mazes seemed to have a "bad" ending. The Freddy vs. Jason maze ended with Freddy winning, The Exorcist maze ended with Reagan still possessed and the priest dead, etc.

aparisi2274

I took a trip to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood last Thursday. I thought the mazes were really well made and the purge scarezones were surprisingly effective

Also, a few of the mazes seemed to have a "bad" ending. The Freddy vs. Jason maze ended with Freddy winning, The Exorcist maze ended with Reagan still possessed and the priest dead, etc.

I love HHN, and I wish Six Flags copied that style, but because they have to cater to kids and families I can understand why they dont.

The one big issue I had with Fright Fest was how bad the layout was, and how hard it was to find the haunts. One of the haunt entrances was set back a bit from the main path, and there was ZERO lighting around the sign that people were just walking by it...

zeemumu

I love HHN, and I wish Six Flags copied that style, but because they have to cater to kids and families I can understand why they dont.

The one big issue I had with Fright Fest was how bad the layout was, and how hard it was to find the haunts. One of the haunt entrances was set back a bit from the main path, and there was ZERO lighting around the sign that people were just walking by it...

I haven't been to the Fright Fest out here at Magic Mountain in a long time. I don't remember much of the haunts. Just seemed like monsters roaming the park while I mostly went on the rollercoasters. Were the mazes at least pretty good from a thematic standpoint?

As far as the layout for HHN Hollywood goes, it was fine, albeit tiring. There were a cluster of mazes in the New York set of the Universal backlot, so you had to go all the way to the end of the upper lot, down the Starway, beyond Transformers, through the Purge tunnel, and into the backlot. It's fine for one trip but I went back there several times because Krampus had the shortest line. By the end of the night I was dead on my feet making my way from there all the way back through the park, back through citywalk, and into the parking structure.

Also, I'm off bacon for a while because of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre maze. It smelled like bacon. Horrible, evil bacon.

Football season, and it's getting into off-season tourist peak. I loved working the WDWCP, and enjoying short lines all throughout Orlando from mid September till early November.

zeemumu

Sally was added into Haunted Mansion Holiday's graveyard this year but I haven't been back to the park since they started Halloween. I'm not worried about missing Haunted Mansion Holiday or Tower of Terror's Late Checkout because they'll be going pretty much the rest of the year but I wanted to get into Ghost Galaxy before they changed it back to Hyperspace/Space Mountain.

Bad news guys.

GotG Tower of Terror is still going to happen:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-terror-rific-spirited-13th-tot-fans-have-lots-to-fear.921460/

Fuck Disney.

I'll start out by saying, I adore Tower of Terror, as it is. It's perfect. Now...

As much as I enjoy reading WDW1974's posts, he is notoriously doom and gloom and hypercritical of Disney management. As much as he seemingly "confirmed" this, there is a lot of time to this project for things to change. We can look at many announcements and plans from WDW's past that never came to fruition - Beastly Kingdomme, the 'mythical' animal realm of Animal Kingdom...the original announced Fantasyland expansion with Pixie Hollow and the multiple princess MnGs...Hyperion Wharf, which they scrubbed all mention of once Disney Springs came along...even now, Toy Story Land has been quietly undergoing changes if you compare current concept art to the original that was announced last year.

Long story short, even with an official announcement (and 1974 even says this), you can't trust Disney management. Park and creative management has been changing extensively recently. Iger is out in 2018. If things don't start rolling along in 2017 in prep for this, there is a good chance that it is going to get scrapped.

I'll start out by saying, I adore Tower of Terror, as it is. It's perfect. Now...

As much as I enjoy reading WDW1974's posts, he is notoriously doom and gloom and hypercritical of Disney management. As much as he seemingly "confirmed" this, there is a lot of time to this project for things to change. We can look at many announcements and plans from WDW's past that never came to fruition - Beastly Kingdomme, the 'mythical' animal realm of Animal Kingdom...the original announced Fantasyland expansion with Pixie Hollow and the multiple princess MnGs...Hyperion Wharf, which they scrubbed all mention of once Disney Springs came along...even now, Toy Story Land has been quietly undergoing changes if you compare current concept art to the original that was announced last year.

Long story short, even with an official announcement (and 1974 even says this), you can't trust Disney management. Park and creative management has been changing extensively recently. Iger is out in 2018. If things don't start rolling along in 2017 in prep for this, there is a good chance that it is going to get scrapped.

Reading more posts, what you said is really what Im hoping.
The dread is still there though.
And lets hope the guy after Iger has some sense in him. Although i have to say Eisner and Iger started well, and then became power hungry, i dont know what the fuck that posisition does to change people so much, or it just releases the worst apsects of someone in the long run.

brerwolfe

I rode Kong yesterday at IOA for the first time and holy shit I thought that was great. I loved that there was something going on all around you, I loved the wind effects for the different character actions, everything. The ONLY thing I'd do would be to add different scents to the scenes-- make it smell like a forest, make it smell faintly of animal when Kong shows up, something. Not enough to be repulsive, but it shouldn't smell so clean.

**edit- maybe when Kong roars, make the air warm instead of a refreshing breeze...

Those trap door slides are intense! I rode the 125ft one in Louisville at Kentucky Kingdom; blew Summit Plummet out of the water!

I hope their water coaster is lengthy. Holiday World has the two best ones I've ever been on.

zeemumu

USH's annual pass system is such a mess. The dates printed on the back of my actual pass are apparently outdated and they keep changing the calendar. I just got an email that I apparently have valid days coming up. I don't think my specific pass is even available to purchase at the same price anymore.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So we returned from my birthday trip a couple of weeks ago. We did Disney World for Food and Wine and a day at Universal to visit the two Harry Potter lands.

My wife and I do Disney 1-2 times a year, so it was as magical as usual. A few points!

• The new Soarin was fantastic. We hated the old one because the video quality was shit. The new one is MUCH better quality and thus doesn't give either of us a headache! Worth it.
  • We did Star Tours and got one of the new Ep 7 openings. I like that ride, but it always makes me feel a bit nauseous. This time even more so than usual because it was longer. My wife was not feeling well after that, either.
  • The new Frozen ride was cool. It was Maelstrom. Like, 100% Maelstrom. But it had a Frozen theme to it. I would suggest anyone who liked Maelstrom to give it a shot, but do NOT wait 3+ hours for it. Use one of your Fast Passes or skip it.
  • We also got to see the new side of Toy Story Mania - it was decorated like Andy's Room and it was AMAZING. Also, my wife slayed our entire group with her score. Kudos to her.
  • Food and Wine with a group of 6 was amazing. I tried SO many different items that I normally wouldn't. One couple was Vegetarian, so that opened up a bunch of other cool food choices that normally go to the bottom of my list.
Now, as for Harry Potter....

• The recreation of both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley were on point. Really awesome work. And the general decor of things were Disney level, and that's super great. By far the best part of Harry Potter land.
  • There was not enough space to get around. Crowds were insane and people were everywhere. I've been to Disney more times than I can count, and the ONLY time it was this bad was when I was there for New Year's Eve. We were at Universal on a random day. So that sucked. It was so packed at some points that we actually couldn't get into Olivander's to browse.
  • The rides were all not fun because they were all just 4D experiences. Kind of a bummer. I think there are some folks who love that, and in that case the rides are cool. But we don't, so it was a bit of a letdown.
  • The cost to take advantage of both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley is not worth it. People say Disney is expensive, but Universal takes the cake. I know people will argue one way or the other, and it comes down more to which park has more attractions to your liking...But I was floored at the cost of park admission + fast passes (which we did not get because we didn't want or need them).
  • Butterbeer was legit good. Also, the food at Leaky Cauldron was amazing.
  • The Hogwart's Express was really fun. Despite the line to ride it being a LOT longer than we anticipated, it was still cool. We did it twice to see the trip from both directions.
Despite all my negative comments about Universal, I honestly couldn't believe how amazing Harry Potter stuff looked. It was seriously right out of the movies, and that was super cool. I also imagine I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't shoulder to shoulder people at both parks. My wife was excited that she found a Ravenclaw sweatshirt, and I enjoyed a Chocolate Frog (which was tasty AND huge).

I definitely think it's worth visiting at least once! As a Disney fan, though, I'll be sticking with Disney.

muteki

I rode Frozen and new Soarin' for the first time a few weeks ago too.

Frozen was actually much better than I expected. I'm not as fond of the backwards section as there isn't really a whole lot going on, and I kinda miss the outdoor open section at the second switch, but I guess that prevents the whole pavilion from hearing Let it Go nonstop. Mostly a logistical problem actually seeing it as getting a FP 30 days out for it is impossible, but rope dropping and going straight there gets you a more reasonable 15~20 minute wait.

Soarin' - I appreciated the new film and the CG didn't bother me as much as I thought but the bendy buildings kinda ruins it for me. May be better if you are in the middle but I'm rarely that lucky. That and the fireworks at the end just not happening in reality and I'm feeling pretty down on the ride.

Food and Wine was fun as ever, I missed a few dishes from last year but found a few more to like. That, and Lemon Schofferhofer is a million times better than the old standby Grapefruit which is now a regular fixture in the German pavilion I guess. Shame I can't buy it anywhere but the grapefruit I can easily get at the grocery store.

I'm in Orlando now. I really, really like Frozen. The animatronics and characters just animate beautifully.

I actually have a huge problem with the new Soarin'. I don't like the transitions at all. I know that sounds silly considering the old one had abrupt cuts but I'll explain. The flying in "Around the World" is pretty tame. I didn't expect it to be intense but there's not much excitement. Flying between scenes doesn't feel as distinct as a result. On top of that there is a visual gimmick that leads into the transitions. They're kind of in-your-face and obvious after the first few. Basically, transitions are more visual now than they are sensational. I really wish they at least kept the old one at DCA. I'm glad they upgraded to digital ahead of plans of replacing the old film over there and I got to experience it with that level of clarity.

Nighttime safaris are fun if a little pointless. Some animals seemed more active but I felt like I was just staring at four-legged shadows for the most part. People didn't seem interested in it as there was no line. Truck was half full.

Going to Universal Monday. I missed Hulk last time so I'm pumped. I might go to Sea World to check out Mako.

aparisi2274

I'm in Orlando now. I really, really like Frozen. The animatronics and characters just animate beautifully.

I actually have a huge problem with the new Soarin'. I don't like the transitions at all. I know that sounds silly considering the old one had abrupt cuts but I'll explain. The flying in "Around the World" is pretty tame. I didn't expect it to be intense but there's not much excitement. Flying between scenes doesn't feel as distinct as a result. On top of that there is a visual gimmick that leads into the transitions. They're kind of in-your-face and obvious after the first few. Basically, transitions are more visual now than they are sensational. I really wish they at least kept the old one at DCA. I'm glad they upgraded to digital ahead of plans of replacing the old film over there and I got to experience it with that level of clarity.

Nighttime safaris are fun if a little pointless. Some animals seemed more active but I felt like I was just staring at four-legged shadows for the most part. People didn't seem interested in it as there was no line. Truck was half full.

Going to Universal Monday. I missed Hulk last time so I'm pumped. I might go to Sea World to check out Mako.

Is Elsa an AA or just a video wall? When I watched the POV ride thru, it looked like she was just a projection and not an AA>

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is Elsa an AA or just a video wall? When I watched the POV ride thru, it looked like she was just a projection and not an AA>

She's an animatronic like the new Seven Dwarfs.

I forgot about those transitions. Ha. Yeah, they're the worst part of the ride, especially the eagle. Made my wife jump.

Anyone gonna be in Universal anytime soon? I kind of want another Chocolate Frog or 2...

I was just there today. Had a good time. Pretty much did everything we wanted by 4PM between both parks. I wish I rode Kong a 2nd time though. We made the mistake of not asking to ride in the back so we were put in the front of the truck. I was sitting farthest to the right which really sucked. Seeing both the top and bottom edges of the screen took me out of it. Seeing the base of the Kong AA was lame too. It was overall a great day though. I stopped by Toothsome being a huge fan of chocolate. They had a rather large variety of ganache and what I managed to pick up tasted pretty good. The Ganachery at Disney Springs is quality stuff but they only have 16 varieties compared to Toothsome's 36. We later went to DHS to check out that jingle bell jingle bam show and did the dessert thing for that. I think tonight was the first showing but it was pretty neat. It was like a Disneyland Forever lite.

aparisi2274

Some new Disney announcements were made today at D23’s Destination D: Amazing Adventures panel.

1. Avatar Opening date is Summer 2017

Pandora – The World of Avatar Set To Open Summer 2017

skdjfn080.jpg

According to the storyline developed by Walt Disney Imagineering and Lightstorm Entertainment, this bridge was built during a time when a destructive company called the RDA came to Pandora. Now that they’re long gone, nature is breaking down evidence of their presence. This bridge will soon serve as an entry into the base camp of Alpha Centauri Expeditions, the eco-tour group that is preparing Pandora for future explorers and adventure seekers.

2. Magicbands 2.0

mbtwo389795711.jpg

As you can see, MagicBand 2 will feature a new design for the band itself. While the design helps make MagicBand 2 more versatile and customizable it’ll still work like the current MagicBand. You will be able to link My Disney Experience to your MagicBand 2, which can serve as a theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, Disney PhotoPass card as well as a room key for Disney Resort guests.

Just got back from a week down at Disney.

Had a great time, was finally able to gorge myself at the California Grill Brunch.

Went to Epcot on Monday to go HAM for the last day of Food&Wine, which was doubly awesome because all of the F&W merch was pretty much 50% off.

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Villas.

Had an "okay' savannah view room which pretty much always had Zebras, Ostrich, and some other random hooved animals outside our balcony.

Was upset that Dinosaur wasn't ready on our trip, along with Big Thunder, as it was rumored both should be open during our week long stay.

Weather was amazing, pretty much everyday topped out at about 78-80 degrees, no rain either.

We're looking to get another trip in either late January or early February.

Also one of the random highlights of our trip was running into Josh from EasyWDW outside the studios.

OchreHand

Just got back from a week down at Disney.

Had a great time, was finally able to gorge myself at the California Grill Brunch.

Went to Epcot on Monday to go HAM for the last day of Food&Wine, which was doubly awesome because all of the F&W merch was pretty much 50% off.

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Villas.

Had an "okay' savannah view room which pretty much always had Zebras, Ostrich, and some other random hooved animals outside our balcony.

Was upset that Dinosaur wasn't ready on our trip, along with Big Thunder, as it was rumored both should be open during our week long stay.

Weather was amazing, pretty much everyday topped out at about 78-80 degrees, no rain either.

We're looking to get another trip in either late January or early February.

Also one of the random highlights of our trip was running into Josh from EasyWDW outside the studios.

Haha cool. My partner ended up in one of Joshs photos and I randomly came across it while reading his blog.

Im also heading back in January. Will be eating at Ohana for the first time. Anyone have recommendations to what to order. Food wise I am really open minded.

aparisi2274

Haha cool. My partner ended up in one of Joshs photos and I randomly came across it while reading his blog.

Im also heading back in January. Will be eating at Ohana for the first time. Anyone have recommendations to what to order. Food wise I am really open minded.

Ohana dinner is a set menu, and its pretty much what you would get at a Brazilian Steak house. They just keep bringing food on skewers until you say no more.

Enjoy it, cause its my favorite place in Disney.

I went to Ohana once and wasn't impressed at all. Service completely blew, took nearly a hour to get any meats. They would bring the skewers, run out before our table, and instead of starting where they ran out, they would go to the beginning of the rotation. However their bread pudding is amazing.

aparisi2274

I went to Ohana once and wasn't impressed at all. Service completely blew, took nearly a hour to get any meats. They would bring the skewers, run out before our table, and instead of starting where they ran out, they would go to the beginning of the rotation. However their bread pudding is amazing.

That stinks... I've eaten at Ohana a few times and each time the service has been pretty good, and yeah their bread pudding is amazing.

I was at Ohana last Sunday for my birthday and it was great. Made the reservation same day too. I love the food but I agree that the service can be pretty spotty. I once got compensated our whole meal because our waitress never took our drink orders. This particular time was excellent though. They let me use my Tables in Wonderland discount even though it was blocked out that day. And yeah, the bread pudding is amazing. Supposedly you can order individual servings of the bread pudding at the Tambu lounge.

If you happen to stay at the Polynesian, you can order the Ohana room service meal called "Ohana Twilight". It's everything that comes with the usual Ohana dinner and the amount was more than I typically eat so I get a ton of leftovers. It's a little pricier with the service charges and lack of discounts but being able to order and eat from the comfort of your room, plus leftovers, was worth it.

Disney posted a short video of a Navi animatronic for the Pandora river ride.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

I just...wow. I'm no engineering expert but that's absolutely fantastic.

I hate the Pandora avatarland idea because for me its not interesting but HOLY SHIT
That animatronic is the best ive ever seen.
When she talks to the camera you can say "yup thats is an animatronic, but its an amazing one, probably the best animated animatronic ive ever seen" and then she turns his head around and holy shit, looks completly CG in a good way. Even the yes look like they have life in them.

Seems they are going to make this land interesting by just cramming future technology up in its ass. Funnily, just as the movie did at its time.

I was at Ohana last Sunday for my birthday and it was great. Made the reservation same day too. I love the food but I agree that the service can be pretty spotty. I once got compensated our whole meal because our waitress never took our drink orders. This particular time was excellent though. They let me use my Tables in Wonderland discount even though it was blocked out that day. And yeah, the bread pudding is amazing. Supposedly you can order individual servings of the bread pudding at the Tambu lounge.

If you happen to stay at the Polynesian, you can order the Ohana room service meal called "Ohana Twilight". It's everything that comes with the usual Ohana dinner and the amount was more than I typically eat so I get a ton of leftovers. It's a little pricier with the service charges and lack of discounts but being able to order and eat from the comfort of your room, plus leftovers, was worth it.

That's what my GF and I did on our trip, we got the Pork Sliders and Bread Pudding at the Tambu Lounge. The only disappointing thing was she ordered a Back Scratcher and it didn't come with the titular Back Scratcher.

The only spotty service we had was at Via Napoli. We ordered 2 apps, and a pizza to share. We got the pizza before the apps, because apparently they come from two kitchens, and the one who does everything non-pizza got backed up. However we ended up getting free drinks because of it. The food was great, it was just a little silly eating a pizza then getting the arancini and fritti verdura afterwards.

Xun

Disney posted a short video of a Navi animatronic for the Pandora river ride.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

I just...wow. I'm no engineering expert but that's absolutely fantastic.
Incredibly impressive.

In other news the rumours of the Hong Kong Disneyland castle getting an upgrade were true, amongst other things:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nsion-with-new-attractions-and-entertainment/

Cx2YKfuVQAAK0Za.jpg

Much nicer castle than the one in Shanghai in my opinion, and it's nice to see it retain what's currently there.

zeemumu

Good!

How do you even enjoy 3D effects on a ride that is constantly dipping, and bobbing and weaving.

I wonder how many complaints they got asking to remove the 3D

3D with too much movement tends to be disorienting for my eyes so I won't really mind the change.

Crossposting from the most recent Universal/Nintendo thread.

Orlando Business Journal just detailed some ride system patents filed by Universal. Uh, some of these might be relevant:

Drift racers: A two-rider, car-based amusement racing attraction with the ability to simulate drifting sensations. Two passengers, who could be in time/points competition with another car, will have control over some aspect of their ride vehicle: The driver would have a steering wheel and an acceleration and brake pedal to control the turning/drifting of the vehicle and speed; the rear passenger would have a control interface with buttons that could control the vehicle or bounce the ride vehicle, provide a boost to the vehicle during the race or affect the performance of another ride vehicle on the track, said the patent. For any Nintendo fan, that description brings to mind the video game company's popular Mario Kart game series. In one version of the series, called Mario Kart: Double Dash, each car had two racers — including a driver and a rear passenger — who controlled the use of items during the race that could impact their car or others in the race.
ceZwB9N.png

Boom coaster: This is a unique arm that would attach to a ride vehicle to help enhance rides that appear to be on a track system, but are actually controlled by a separate arm. For example, the arm could be C-shaped connected to a secondary hidden track underneath the track guests see. As a result, rides that have story element breaks in the track — say like an upcoming jump from one track to another — could cause suspense. "Because the passenger may believe that the simulated ride surface controls a path of the passenger vehicle, the passenger may fear or anticipate that the passenger vehicle may crash or otherwise incur damage as a result of the elevated gap," said the patent. This has many fans thinking it could also be related to Nintendo via the Donkey Kong Country video game series, which features areas with cars traveling through dangerous mines filled with jumps, dips and turns.
COh1Hlg.png

SpPzgfS.jpg

Universal Creative seems to really be stepping their game up for this. The assumed DK minecart ride system patent is so damn clever.

Zackat

very nice. So the arm will lift you up over breaks in the tracks? Or it will just seem like you are on tracks when you are just suspended all along? Will be interesting to see the implementation.

very nice. So the arm will lift you up over breaks in the tracks? Will be interesting to see.

The arm and lower track should ideally be invisible to guests. Rather, there will essentially be a fake track that the ride vehicle appears to coast along, and slopes in the concealed lower track will facilitate "jumps" between different pieces of fake track. If executed well, there should be a convincing illusion that the fake track is the real and only track.

Zackat

The arm and lower track should ideally be invisible to guests. Rather, there will essentially be a fake track that the ride vehicle appears to coast along, and slopes in the concealed lower track will facilitate "jumps" between different pieces of fake track. If executed well, there should be a convincing illusion that the fake track is the real and only track.

I am looking forward to seeing how they get the feel right. Like landing on the tracks after a jump would definitely need a pretty big "umph" for it to feel right. If it is too smooth that would break the immersion.

Top Bottom