• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Crossposting from the most recent Universal/Nintendo thread.

Orlando Business Journal just detailed some ride system patents filed by Universal. Uh, some of these might be relevant:

Universal Creative seems to really be stepping their game up for this. The assumed DK minecart ride system patent is so damn clever.

Yup, those are probably the two rides systems for the Nintendo area.

Not surprised at the amount of care of the Mario kart system, as its going to be an E ticket ride, but really surprised they are trying soemthing compeltly new for DK mine train.
I thought they were going to go with the intamin or vekoma type of mine trains, make a good theme and call it day, but they are actually going the extra mile so it feel EXACTLY like the game where the mine carts jump gaps and everything.
I suppose they will probably have some type of feedback on the vehicle or the arm to simulate the landing in the next track.

Oh man, I was thinking. What about a Cranky Kong AA the queue that talked down to guests about theme parks just like he does in the shops about games.
"In my times people got out unconcious after a Loop the Loop and we LIKED it!!"
"This guys tried to sue me once, now they build theme parks for me, hahaha!"
"Who here remembers the Cyclone?"

Gartooth

I'm really curious on why rumors say DK is a D ticket while Mario and Yoshi are both E tickets. Maybe it's planned to be a short ride? I mean ideally it would have some dark ride elements such as Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I'm really curious on why rumors say DK is a D ticket while Mario and Yoshi are both E tickets. Maybe it's planned to be a short ride? I mean ideally it would have some dark ride elements such as Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I think the main issue is labeling Yoshi as an E ticket when there haven't been any rumors about a ride system. Mario Kart earns its E ticket status because the ride system is going to be very innovative, whereas DK's, while clever, isn't pushing as many boundaries (it's essentially a coaster car on a stick, which is *exactly* what it needs to be for this ride, but still). Maybe the theming (AA tech, etc) for Yoshi is just going to be that good? But I wonder if it could be good enough to push a basic dark ride system like an omnimover or basic busbar vehicle up to E ticket status. If Yoshi was also pushing a new ride system, I thought we would have heard rumblings about it by now. There's certainly nothing in the patents that would work for it.

Gartooth

I think the main issue is labeling Yoshi as an E ticket when there haven't been any rumors about a ride system. Mario Kart earns its E ticket status because the ride system is going to be very innovative, whereas DK's, while clever, isn't pushing as many boundaries (it's essentially a coaster car on a stick, which is *exactly* what it needs to be for this ride, but still). Maybe the theming (AA tech, etc) for Yoshi is just going to be that good? But I wonder if it could be good enough to push a basic dark ride system like an omnimover or basic busbar vehicle up to E ticket status. If Yoshi was also pushing a new ride system, I thought we would have heard rumblings about it by now. There's certainly nothing in the patents that would work for it.

Since the source of the patents was the Orlando Business Journal, maybe this alludes to Yoshi being decided on as Japan-only?

I would be surprised for a standard dark ride to be picked for Yoshi given how authentic the Mario Kart and DK rides are looking. From a "what is a unique ride only Nintendo can do" POV I think not having Yoshi itself be the vehicle would be a missed opportunity.

Gartooth

I just took a look back into all of the rumors, and yeah it doesn't sound like Yoshi is going to have a unique ride system. Pretty disappointed given the potential it had, but if it is described as an E ticket then I assume it will be at least very well done. Plus with Kidzone gone Universal would need a new kids ride or two.

Theres also a Yoshi E ticket ride then? Any rumours of what it could be?

Yeah Yoshi E Ticket is rumored but so far it is Japan only. From what I read it is a dark ride that is set heavy with animatronics.

Credible talk over on Orlando United is backing up the rumor that Universal is moving away from screens (starts near the bottom of the page).

Yoshi is said to be slow and mild, but very visually compelling. Maybe it won't be an E ticket when it comes to ride system innovation, but Universal could still do an incredible job with theming. TBH, a gentle ride with amazing theming that every member of the family can ride without a second thought would be very appreciated in a park so full of height restrictions.

2020 in Japan, first artwork:
nintendo-world.jpg

Gartooth

I'm kind of surprised that the Yoshi's Island artstyle isn't being used for the attraction entrance, in favor of a 3D World look. I guess it fits better with the overall land, and Yoshi's Island could fit better in the queue and ride.

Also kind of mysterious how the obvious location for DK is hidden behind Mario and Luigi in the art.

Zackat

The amount of merch they will sell in those parks is going to be insane.

I hope they do some Zelda inspired stuff somewhere. It'd be cool to see.

Gartooth

They absolutely need exclusive Nintendo merch for the Universal parks. I was disappointed going to the Marvel attractions that all the merch is stuff you can find elsewhere compared to the insane exclusives they have for Harry Potter.

I'm kind of surprised that the Yoshi's Island artstyle isn't being used for the attraction entrance, in favor of a 3D World look. I guess it fits better with the overall land, and Yoshi's Island could fit better in the queue and ride.

Also kind of mysterious how the obvious location for DK is hidden behind Mario and Luigi in the art.

Dat lone palm tree doe. It's just sitting there taunting us.

The amount of merch they will sell in those parks is going to be insane.

I hope they do some Zelda inspired stuff somewhere. It'd be cool to see.

Yeah, I have an annual pass to Universal Orlando, go at least once every few weeks, and I don't think I've ever actually bought merchandise. When Nintendo opens, I'm probably buying like, everything.

...is this how Potter fans felt?

Gartooth

Dat lone palm tree doe. It's just sitting there taunting us.

Yeah, I have an annual pass to Universal Orlando, go at least once every few weeks, and I don't think I've ever actually bought merchandise. When Nintendo opens, I'm probably buying like, everything.

...is this how Potter fans felt?

Someone at Universal Creative is like "oh shit DOES Japan get DK?" and pasted giant renders of Mario and Luigi over it so no one would notice... but we DID!

They absolutely need exclusive Nintendo merch for the Universal parks. I was disappointed going to the Marvel attractions that all the merch is stuff you can find elsewhere compared to the insane exclusives they have for Harry Potter.

Please be excited for Universal-exclusive Amiibo.

Gartooth

Really hope we can expect construction to start sometime soon in Japan after this announcement. I am going to be following the development of that land like a madman over the next few years.

Please be excited for Universal-exclusive Amiibo.

Let's hope that Nintendo's usual distribution system is not in charge of merch numbers here! :(

zeemumu

Universal's probably gonna start getting Nintendo merch and yet I still can barely find any Kingdom Hearts stuff in Disney Parks. There's a single pin and that's pretty much it. Hopefully that'll change in 2017 considering how Kingdom Hearts-heavy that year is gonna be. At the very least D23 Expo will have something. I hope I can go.

Zackat

I am not even a huge Nintendo fan and I would buy the shit outta that merch.

I have friends who would buy Disney passes just to get Kingdom Hearts stuff.

The artwork hidding surprises is probably more of a Nintendo thing that Universal. Nintendo is thinking here like they were in their industry bubble and that dripping news is better than giving everything, but this is theme parks and we already know lot of this stuff.

Compare it with the harry potter showing where we already know even how some special shops where going to work.

Gartooth

The artwork hidding surprises is probably more of a Nintendo thing that Universal. Nintendo is thinking here like they were in their industry bubble and that dripping news is better than giving everything, but this is theme parks and we already know lot of this stuff.

Compare it with the harry potter showing where we already know even how some special shops where going to work.

I wish they would just confirm what people already know like Mario Kart and DK rides. I'll take a drip feed though over something with dead hype like Avatar Land.

zeemumu

So this is my first time being in the Hyperion theater since they replaced aladdin with frozen. Actual show starts in about 13 minutes. The area around the stage doesn't seem as intricate as the old one but the stage projections look nice.

Ironically it's hotter in here than it used to be.

Man after Rogue One im craving Star Wars Land and Disney so badly.
Sadly im probably going to be burned out by the time it opens.

Any solid recent updates?

zeemumu

Man after Rogue One im craving Star Wars Land and Disney so badly.
Sadly im probably going to be burned out by the time it opens.

Any solid recent updates?

No major ones. The land is developing on schedule but it was still mostly dirt with the makings of a few structures the last time I saw it.

I'm actually dreading the opening of this because I know that crowds are gonna make it impossible to actually enjoy that section of the park for a while. Look what happened to Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours before Force Awakens came out.

No major ones. The land is developing on schedule but it was still mostly dirt with the makings of a few structures the last time I saw it.

I'm actually dreading the opening of this because I know that crowds are gonna make it impossible to actually enjoy that section of the park for a while. Look what happened to Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours before Force Awakens came out.

True

Nice about Star Wars themed Space Mountain!

And that prototype from Vekoma, I'm a huge coaster enthusiast and read amusement park news daily, and this is the first time I have seen them... just wow. Good find.

zeemumu

Nice about Star Wars themed Space Mountain!

And that prototype from Vekoma, I'm a huge coaster enthusiast and read amusement park news daily, and this is the first time I have seen them... just wow. Good find.

Hyperspace Mountain might be better than regular Space Mountain but not as fun as Ghost Galaxy for me.

zeemumu

Some new details for the GotG ride at California Adventure

The attraction is set within a museum that holds the personal possessions of Tanglier Tivan, the villain in “Guardians of the Galaxy.”
The queue for the attraction will lead guests past various artifacts in Tivan’s collection, and there will be many subtle references made to the Marvel Universe for those observant enough to pick up on them.
The queue isolates groups in smaller rooms (just as it did for the Tower of Terror attraction). This time, though, Rocket Raccoon, informs everyone in the room that he escaped captivity and plans to help the other Guardians do the same.
The ride system for Tower of Terror will remain intact; however, an immediate sense of chaos will now set the tone for the attraction rather than a slow build and climatic drop.
Every turn on Mission Breakout will provide a different experience with random drop sequences, various visuals triggered by those sequences, and a different song selected as an enhancement for any given trip.
The ride will feature a soundtrack taken from the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 featured in the film.
mission-breakout.jpg

This is a comedy, action-adventure, prison break. We need none of that [set-up once on the ride]. We invest immediately in movement… Everything that happens on the ride, from the moment you take off, happens in the context of this very physical chaos. The escape is happening, the other animals are escaping, everything in the collection is loose. The guards are trying to stop them. Rocket is trying to control the vehicle that is out of control because he blew the control tower to open the cages. It’s just insane chaos. But really funny, really fun chaos that ensues for the rest of the ride….Sometimes the doors might open. Sometimes the doors might not open because something else will happen. Many things will happen on this ride… It’s a very dynamic ride.

Jag

Universal Orlando's third park, Volcano Bay, gets an opening date of May 25, 2017.

1_BB_Park_Overview_tcm13-59156.jpg

Water is Life. Life is Joy. That's the carefree attitude the fabled Waturi islanders have embraced on their Pacific isle for centuries. Now you can live the Waturi way at Universal's Volcano Bay™, an all-new park where thrills and relaxation flow in perfect harmony. With the power of the TapuTapu™ wearable there's no standing in long lines, wrestling with tubes, or waiting for the fun to begin. It's a tropical paradise just steps away from everything Universal Orlando Resort™ has to offer.

FqpotXW.png

Wow.

This will blow anything from Rocky Mountain Construction out of the water. I wonder what ridiculous inverse banking trick gets implemented on the downturn?

The lift hasn't been completed, yet. Speculation says at least 40 feet has been added to the second hill.

2018 will be glorious when this opens.

Any good "documentaries" about cancelled/abandoned aspects of any of the major parks?
Recently got in to a series on YouTube called Abandoned which in addition to regular stuff going out of business like Blockbuster, etc
really went into detail about abandoned resorts, parks(Westcot, Disney's America) and more from Disney.

Had me interested in more so I recently came across one about the original 3rd area of Animal Kingdom.
doesn't have to be an official documentary, just something that goes in depth on on it.

Jag

Any good "documentaries" about cancelled/abandoned aspects of any of the major parks?
Recently got in to a series on YouTube called Abandoned which in addition to regular stuff going out of business like Blockbuster, etc
really went into detail about abandoned resorts, parks(Westcot, Disney's America) and more from Disney.

Had me interested in more so I recently came across one about the original 3rd area of Animal Kingdom.

doesn't have to be an official documentary, just something that goes in depth on on it.

Behold: Action Park Part 1. Part 2 (videos on the linked page). If you grew up in the Tri-State (NY/NJ/CT) area in the 80s, you knew about Action Park. I still carry scars from that place. Like actual scars on my body.

There once was an amusement park so insane, so treacherous and dangerous, that, nearly two decades after it closed, anybody who ever stepped foot in it is left wondering whether their memories could possibly be true.

Let's put it this way: The park had a waterslide that went in a complete loop.

One more time: A waterslide. That. Went. In. A. Complete. Loop.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Floop-slide.jpg

Top Bottom