• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Rufus

Why does your man Guru Larry (YouTube guy and a lot of stuff before it) hate molyneux? Like all his videos start with some sort of comment about him
I suspect that he's just not very funny, so he's reaching for the low hanging (by now rotten) fruit.

Why do so many console games require you to press two face buttons with your thumb at the same time when there are so many other buttons to use on modern controllers?
I understood it when I played New Super Mario Brothers with the Wii Remote but it controls the same way on wii u?! It is the same with the default controls in Sunset Overdrive - jump button and right analog stick both rely on your thumb, and both actions are necessary to be done almost simultaneously.

With Mario, it's because they're trying to stay close to the controls of the NES/SNES Mario games, so B to run, A to jump, Y to spin. I think with modern games, it's because the generally accepted control scheme is X (going off a Dualshock here) to jump. If you take someone who has a vague Knowledge of games, chances are the first thing they'll try is to press one of the face buttons to jump.

Podge293

I suspect that he's just not very funny, so he's reaching for the low hanging (by now rotten) fruit.

He's not really going for funny (from what I can tell) he generally dives into reasons why games went bust, recalled, secrets etc etc.

Well the ones I've watched anyways

Rufus

He's not really going for funny (from what I can tell) he generally dives into reasons why games went bust, recalled, secrets etc etc.

Well the ones I've watched anyways
I only watched a couple, but he tried to add at least one punchline to every item of a list.

DrKelpo

Banned
I recently sold my ps4 kinda in a hurry, so I forgot to backup my saves onto a flash drive.
they were all uploaded into the psn cloud storage though.
I think my ps+ subscription ended in december.

if I re-sub now, will I be able to access my old files or is everything lost?

Kalor

I recently sold my ps4 kinda in a hurry, so I forgot to backup my saves onto a flash drive.
they were all uploaded into the psn cloud storage though.
I think my ps+ subscription ended in december.

if I re-sub now, will I be able to access my old files or is everything lost?

You'll have access to all the old saves.

oldmario

i'm trying to find a FMV/QTE game i saw on youtube a while ago that i can't find in my viewing history, i don't think it's on rails, it has either a goofy cop or a goofy guy and at one point he either gets caught in blinds and falls out the window and survives or shot and falls into blinds and out of the window

What do DS games look like on a N3DS in pixel perfect mode in terms of screen size, compared with a DS Lite? The 3DS put then in postage stamp mode; is it slightly larger than that/somewhat comparable with the screen size of a DS Lite?

Sarcasm

This is a long shot but as seeing I want to continue my character in Terraria without completely starting a new world as my friend didn't back up.

Anybody have an Expert world in hardmode?

mclem

i'm trying to find a FMV/QTE game i saw on youtube a while ago that i can't find in my viewing history, i don't think it's on rails, it has either a goofy cop or a goofy guy and at one point he either gets caught in blinds and falls out the window and survives or shot and falls into blinds and out of the window

Contradiction, most probably.

NlQg1Nx.jpg

PtM

Banned
What do DS games look like on a N3DS in pixel perfect mode in terms of screen size, compared with a DS Lite? The 3DS put then in postage stamp mode; is it slightly larger than that/somewhat comparable with the screen size of a DS Lite?
I would assume it scales with the screen size, so just slightly larger. It was stamp mode for me, last I checked.

Althane

Not sure this really qualifies, but seems like as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone else have issues with "LAN cable disconnected" errors on the PS4, that don't really result in a loss of internet connectivity? I looked online and the main recommendation I saw was to assign a static IP in the router to the PS4, which has not solved my problem.

Not sure this really qualifies, but seems like as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone else have issues with "LAN cable disconnected" errors on the PS4, that don't really result in a loss of internet connectivity? I looked online and the main recommendation I saw was to assign a static IP in the router to the PS4, which has not solved my problem.

Can't say I do.

That would be the same message you'd get if your router lost power too.

Durden77

So I don’t know where else to ask this.

Everytime I shut my PS4 off completely and unplug it, EVERYTIME, when I start it back up it says I didn't shut it down correctly and goes through the whole data saving process.

This is extremely annoying and also worrying. I move my PS4 around a decent amount and I'm worried this is affecting my data, as I've been having weird issues with that. I have tried what feels like everything when it comes to shutting it off. Holding the button until it goes off on the system, doing it through the system interface, leaving it off for HOURS before unplugging it, ect.

Any advice here?

Why were there no games based on TSR's Star Frontiers series ever produced (to my knowledge)? That RPG was pretty popular with my circle of friends for a hot minute. D&D got a slew of games during that period, but not a single SF game.

jdstorm

Banned
I started playing The Wonderful 101 a week or so ago and out in about 4-5 hours but didn't enjoy it much. I tried it again yesterday but turned it off after about 10 minutes. Does the game change much really after about this point? I don't want to say "get better" because I don't necessarily think it's bad but I'm just not feeling it at all which I'm surprised by but there are some things I dislike about the gameplay mechanics and level structure, yet at the same time I don't feel it would be fair to label it a bad game. But I can't see it changing much so I don't want to waste my time playing more of it if it is much the same.

This was my experience with it. Tried the demo, liked it but didn't get it. A few months later i bought the game. Tried it, put in a few hours of frustration. Shelved it as it wasn't fun. A few months later i tried again and it just clicked. The ride was mostly smooth sailing from there and a lot of fun.

TW101 isn't a "GIT GUD" game so much as its an unusual game that seems to require a eureka moment where everything starts to make sense.

Other things. Dodge Counter is an ability you need to buy from the shop. Its essential so make sure you get it. Treat the imputs like moves in a fighting game and practice making them on the controler, you dont need to draw the actual shapes, just close approximations.

The game also can get pretty hard, so if you still arent feeling it maybe start again from the begining. It will help you know how far you have progressed and should be a bit easier. Also if you aren't already play on easy. It will be more fun and you can turn up the difficulty later when it starts to click.

Good luck.

Is Nier Automata's lead protag named after a Hamlet reference? It's somewhat about existentialism, right?

"2B or not 2B" specifically. I've never played the game, I just thought it'd be clever if this were the case.

XCOM - Enemy Unknown:

Regarding the Officer Training School, after buying all the upgrades do you keep them if you delete the building?

Can you use Arc Thrower on robot enemies to stun and capture them? I know you can't do this with the drones but what about the Cyberdisc or Sectopod?

Is Nier Automata's lead protag named after a Hamlet reference? It's somewhat about existentialism, right?

"2B or not 2B" specifically. I've never played the game, I just thought it'd be clever if this were the case.

2B, comes from her being YoRHa model 2 and being of Battle-type. But seeing how self-consciousness is a big theme of the game, with the central question of "What is humanity?", her name being a pun on the Hamlet quote is likely intentional. The name of ending B is "or not to e", which spells it out completely.

If you want to go into heavy spoiler territory (as in final hour of final playthrough) that pun
is actually a hint about her true nature. She is actually NOT 2B. That is her cover. She is not a Battle model. She is 2E, an Exterminator-type YoRHa. Her secret role is to kill the other main character, 9S, her friend and possibly love interest, every time he learns too much. A duty she has carried out countless times

Seriously, the above is a HUGE SPOILER. DON'T CLICK IT IF YOU EVER PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T Cl

OK, dumbass question coming up- I started playing far too many years ago on the Atari 2600 and then the 800XL. The standard Atari joystick is meant to be playing with the stick in your right hand, and the fire button is on the left (there are a few games that allow you to rotate it 90 degrees for lefties). All other hoem computers of the time were the same. So how come most arcade games and joypads have you controlling the game with your left hand and the buttons on the right?

Taffer

XCOM - Enemy Unknown:

Regarding the Officer Training School, after buying all the upgrades do you keep them if you delete the building?

Can you use Arc Thrower on robot enemies to stun and capture them? I know you can't do this with the drones but what about the Cyberdisc or Sectopod?

You'll lose the upgrades if you trash the OTS and you can't ever capture any robots.

hydrophilic attacks in final hour of final playthrough) that pun [spoiler said:
[/spoiler]

Seriously, the above is a HUGE SPOILER. DON'T CLICK IT IF YOU EVER PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T CLICK. DON'T Cl

PHEW I won't read it!!! I'm really excited to play this one. Like, omg excited. I just can't justify playing before completing P5 and Zelda. However, it is next in line.

Yay, I'm glad. I know I'm no genius for picking up on it but I'm still weirdly proud. Excited to come back when I get around to Nier and reading your spoiler! Maybe I'll DM you what I think.

Have a good one, friend!

RootCause

Why do fighting games remove characters from past games? They just throw away the moves, and the character models for new ones. Wouldn't it be better to include them, even if they don't make sense story wise. Just have them be unlockables in a challenge mode.

It's something that has bugged me since forever. Injustice 2 replacing so many characters from Gods Among Us reminded me how annoying it is.

NateDog

Why do fighting games remove characters from past games? They just throw away the moves, and the character models for new ones. Wouldn't it be better to include them, even if they don't make sense story wise. Just have them be unlockables in a challenge mode.

It's something that has bugged me since forever. Injustice 2 replacing so many characters from Gods Among Us reminded me how annoying it is.
It can be to do with a lot of different things like maintaining a balance between the characters in game and trying to make sure no-one is overpowered, the change made from adapting new engines for new titles, trying to gauge which characters are the most wanted (and possibly who would sell as DLC best), or simply just wanting to state that this new entry is decidedly different from the last one(s) to make people buy it. I'm sure someone else could delve into more reasons more deeply though.

Way too much work to include every character that's ever existed. The roster would be ridiculously huge and would make balancing a nightmare.

I have a load of PC games on CD, and a majority of them won't play in W10 because I need to log in with admin privileges and try again. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

I've​ picked up a couple of them on Steam when they've been on sale, but some, like Project IGI, don't seem to have a digital version, and I don't really want to rebuy all the physical games I have on Steam/GOG.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have a load of PC games on CD, and a majority of them won't play in W10 because I need to log in with admin privileges and try again. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Is this just during installation or everytime you start the game? If it's the former, just ask the admin to install the games.

That could be one of the Tex Murphy games, the most recent of which was Tesla Effect. One of its gimmicks was its death scenes (they show you what happens but you go right back to normal as if nothing happened,) so it's possible you might have seen something where he was shot, but instead of "surviving" it's just "non-canon."

Jucksalbe

Banned
When I try to launch. I'm set as the admin, and I've also tried running as admin, and the various compatibility modes.

Oh, I thought this was just about you not having the necessary rights.

What's the exact error message then? I never had a problem like that with CD games on W10. Maybe some problem with an old copy protection?

Oh, I thought this was just about you not having the necessary rights.

What's the exact error message then? I never had a problem like that with CD games on W10. Maybe some problem with an old copy protection?

Please log in with administrator privileges and try again.

It started happening on Vista, when MS were forcing that upgrade on people (which was pointless because you could only upgrade to 10 from 7 and above), but I could just rollback to remove that, although it kept coming back on.

The games install fine, they just refuse to launch.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Please log in with administrator privileges and try again.

Going by this forum post this seems indeed be related to some copy protection not working anymore thanks to Microsoft turning off some service with an update (since it's supposedly a security risk).
So from what I found you can either try to uninstall the update or manually activate that service.
Or if it's indeed because of some DRM, noCD cracks could help.

You'll lose the upgrades if you trash the OTS and you can't ever capture any robots.

thanks.

Another questions for XCOM Enemy Unknown (on console, 360 particularly)

Can you save during a battle? I think the option is in the pause menu but I don't know if it saves at that exact moment or if loading that file just puts you back at the beginning of the match. I think I'm at that last battle but I don't want to get sucked into a long fight and be forced to stay up late on a weeknight

Taffer

thanks.

Another questions for XCOM Enemy Unknown (on console, 360 particularly)

Can you save during a battle? I think the option is in the pause menu but I don't know if it saves at that exact moment or if loading that file just puts you back at the beginning of the match. I think I'm at that last battle but I don't want to get sucked into a long fight and be forced to stay up late on a weeknight

You'll be fine, loading a mid-mission save puts you exactly where you saved it.

Minamu

I have some questions about the new doom game. The digital deluxe version is on a massive sale right now but what's in it? Is it worth it? How easy and good is the snapmap system on ps4? Could be good level design practice yeah? Pro support?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have some questions about the new doom game. The digital deluxe version is on a massive sale right now but what's in it? Is it worth it? How easy and good is the snapmap system on ps4? Could be good level design practice yeah? Pro support?
No pro support as I recall.

t hicks

Banned
Does Amazon accept cart-only trade ins (like for SNES/N64)? About to submit some trade ins and I wanted to double check, don't want anything to get rejected after I ship

Does Amazon accept cart-only trade ins (like for SNES/N64)? About to submit some trade ins and I wanted to double check, don't want anything to get rejected after I ship

Don't know what Amazon's policy is, sorry. BUT... Do check out eStarland, you can see how much you can get for trade ins (and they definitely take cart-only trade ins). You can get a decent amount depending on what you're trading in, and if it's for store credit vs cash.

t hicks

Banned
Don't know what Amazon's policy is, sorry. BUT... Do check out eStarland, you can see how much you can get for trade ins (and they definitely take cart-only trade ins). You can get a decent amount depending on what you're trading in, and if it's for store credit vs cash.

Thanks for the link! Seems like a solid website, unfortunate they don't have any PSN/eShop cards though. I'll sell my retro games there though, Amazon seems very YMMV on that end from what I can tell

Top Bottom