• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Oreoleo

Visiting my girlfriend and forgot my switch charger; can I just buy a USB-C cable from any old store and plug my switch into a usb charger?

I don't own a Switch so I don't know for sure, but what you're suggesting is the entire point of all USBs :)

It's actually a little more complicated than that as you want to make sure you choose something that can actually charge the Switch at an acceptable rate/charge while playing. If you're going to try to use a standard USB charger (ie, not something designed for USB-C specifically) it's going to get a little prickly.

A quick Google search led to this handy article: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/...ch_usb-c_and_portable_battery_recommendations

Minamu

It's actually a little more complicated than that as you want to make sure you choose something that can actually charge the Switch at an acceptable rate/charge while playing. If you're going to try to use a standard USB charger (ie, not something designed for USB-C specifically) it's going to get a little prickly.

A quick Google search led to this handy article: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/...ch_usb-c_and_portable_battery_recommendations
I stand somewhat corrected!

Teggy

Why is the wall jump in Super Metroid so hard to perform? I'm playing the game for the first time now and had to look up instructions on how to do it. I could imagine 1994 kids getting stuck at the bottom of that pit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why is the wall jump in Super Metroid so hard to perform? I'm playing the game for the first time now and had to look up instructions on how to do it. I could imagine 1994 kids getting stuck at the bottom of that pit.

Oh yes, I remember spending quite some time in that pit. Not sure why they designed it that way specifically, but the controls in this game are a bit wonky anyway. But I also don't remember if many other games used wall jumps at the time, so maybe there wasn't much other games to look at for inspiration as to how to do it better.

its not? like once you know how it works, you'll be able to do it 100% of the time

This takes a lot of practice. And in the time before YouTube tutorials this took quite a bit longer to figure out properly. And even then "100%" seems like a stretch.

Samus' wall jumps are only hard in Super because her jumps in general are weird. They're floaty and laggy and you lose all vertical momentum as soon as you let go of jump. It's a culture shock to people who are used to Mario games, but it becomes second nature once you get the hang of them.

Xbro

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the timing.

Ahhhh, I remember that damned pit! Yeah, the required timing really is odd. I had to look up instructions as well.

its not? like once you know how it works, you'll be able to do it 100% of the time

This is what I've always heard EVERYONE say about the wall jumping in Super Metroid..... I never got that good.

Erheller

I wasn't sure where to post this, since it's not really that stupid a question and I didn't want to create a new thread, but check this out:

http://www.absolutegeeks.com/future-unfolding-review/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/24/future-unfolding-review/

One of these reviewers is definitely plagiarizing the other. What can be done about this? I'm not really familiar with either website myself.

RPS is one of the largest PC gaming websites, and Philippa Warr is decently well-known and has been contributing to RPS for a few years. I've never heard of absolutegeeks.com

But yeah, do as the previous person said and send them both an email.

Koren

I don't think it's really hard (at least, not as hard as the bomb trick, for example), but the timing is narrow...

But look: you CANNOT be stuck at the bottom of the pit, it's a series of rooms without a saving point, and you don't need to go there. The critter explains you how to exit, and if you manage to do it, it can be helpful elsewhere, but if you can't, you just have to reset the game (and IIRC, the previous save point is just before the pit).

jdstorm

Banned

Because in 1994 players were accustomed to playing 2D action games, so it wasn't that unusual. In 2017 we mostly play 3D games and have a completely different set of base "gaming" skills.

What's taking so long for Pure Chess to arrive on the Switch? It's on every other console and mobile. The developers have the Switch devkit.

My spouse wants to learn the game, and I've been holding off getting it on another platform.

Teggy

I don't think it's really hard (at least, not as hard as the bomb trick, for example), but the timing is narrow...

But look: you CANNOT be stuck at the bottom of the pit, it's a series of rooms without a saving point, and you don't need to go there. The critter explains you how to exit, and if you manage to do it, it can be helpful elsewhere, but if you can't, you just have to reset the game (and IIRC, the previous save point is just before the pit).

I've got it down now, but seriously, if there weren't instructions online, I don't know how I would have gotten it. You have to spin into the wall, push the other way, LET GO, then jump. It's that letting go that is so puzzling. In order to do a standard spin jump you hold down the d-pad, but continue the wall jump you have to release the d-pad. It's pretty weird.

It's totally true though - the consoles I owned went from Atari 2600 -> PlayStation. There was a level of gameplay evolution I never had to deal with and don't necessarily have the patience to work out.

I've got it down now, but seriously, if there weren't instructions online, I don't know how I would have gotten it. You have to spin into the wall, push the other way, LET GO, then jump. It's that letting go that is so puzzling. In order to do a standard spin jump you hold down the d-pad, but continue the wall jump you have to release the d-pad. It's pretty weird.

It's totally true though - the consoles I owned went from Atari 2600 -> PlayStation. There was a level of gameplay evolution I never had to deal with and don't necessarily have the patience to work out.

You don't have to release the dpad, it just makes it a bit easier.

Koren

Pretty sure Space Invaders ran at 60fps. Not sure about Pong.
Pong was 60fps.

http://www.pong-story.com/LAWN_TENNIS.pdf

Well, games NOT at 60fps were the exception... You didn't have framebuffer at this time, the picture was built in realtime, and VSync was 60Hz. You had to go extra miles to do 30fps, and you wouldn't be able to display more things.

The 30fps mostly started with 3D games, I'd say...

Tennis for Two was 36fps, but that's a VERY special case ;)

You don't have to release the dpad, it just makes it a bit easier.
Thank you, because I never released it, and I wasn't understanding anymore.

Koren

I'm curious... I've seen a lot of chinese console clones (I've been gifted as a joke a super powerstation 2 which is basically a NES in a PS2 shell with half a dozen roms and a thousand sprite swaps so that you have Super Pikachu Bros and the like...)

But this is new to me:
81u4rDoNV8L._SX342_.jpg

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01HI92PV2/

Basically the same thing, but cart version... Take a bunch of illegal roms, swap sprites, and put everithing in a fancy box.

Is this a "new" trend? (not brand new, since it's apparently one year old, and there's a bunch of those on sale). I feel like Amazon should remove this, but I'm probably too naive...

Rookhelm

So I went ahead and emailed both Vincent Peter and Philippa Warr. This is the email I sent to each of them seperately:

Hello NAME,

Just wanted to give you a heads up, but this Future Unfolding review by NAME of WEBSITE seems awfully similar to yours wouldn't you say?:

http://www.absolutegeeks.com/future-unfolding-review/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/24/future-unfolding-review/

I felt that I needed to bring it your attention.

I guess now I'll just wait and see if I hear back from one or both of them.

I heard back from Vincent:

"Hey Alex,

Thanks for the heads up.

Though actually I recall reading RPS's review of Future Unfolding before writing mine so the plagiarism - unintended as it is - is on my end. Looks like my article is up for a thorough rewrite.

Either way, thanks a lot for bringing this up.

Cheers

Vincent "

Unintended? lol. Rightttttttttttttttt

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I never owned a Nintendo handheld so my question is what's the difference between a Nintendo ds and a 2ds? I thought the difference between a ds and 3ds was the 3d gimmick and the difference between a 3ds and 2ds was that the 2ds didn't have the 3d gimmick. I know the "new" named models are revised hardware.

Because it's an exploit. Wall jumping was put in by the designers to program sequence breaks into the game. You're supposed to play without wall jumping on your first or first few play throughs. Then you can play again and try to master this difficult wall jump technique to break the game.

The point of that one room where you have to wall jump is to intimidate you on your first play through. It's do-able for a first time player to struggle with the wall jump controls to escape. So you know about it, but probably won't use it right away. It's really brilliant game design.

I never owned a Nintendo handheld so my question is what's the difference between a Nintendo ds and a 2ds? I thought the difference between a ds and 3ds was the 3d gimmick and the difference between a 3ds and 2ds was that the 2ds didn't have the 3d gimmick. I know the "new" named models are revised hardware.

well a nintendo ds can't play 3DS games, but a 2DS can. So basically, a 2DS is a 3DS without the 3D feature.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I heard back from Vincent:

"Hey Alex,

Thanks for the heads up.

Though actually I recall reading RPS's review of Future Unfolding before writing mine so the plagiarism - unintended as it is - is on my end. Looks like my article is up for a thorough rewrite.

Either way, thanks a lot for bringing this up.

Cheers

Vincent "

Unintended? lol. Rightttttttttttttttt
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I often read a review and then subconsciously copy it identically word for word when creating articles for my own site. It's very easily done.

/s

ASaiyan

Banned
Don't wanna bump the preorder thread and give everyone a heart attack, so I'll ask this dumb question here.

I'd prefer to get an EU SNES Mini over an NA one because the hardware is so much prettier. Would I have any problems playing one on an NA television, because PAL consoles were 50Hz vs 60Hz for NTSC?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'd prefer to get an EU SNES Mini over an NA one because the hardware is so much prettier. Would I have any problems playing one on an NA television, because PAL consoles were 50Hz vs 60Hz for NTSC?

No, since this is not putting out a PAL or NTSC signal. Plus the games are all US versions, so 50Hz isn't a problem either.

No, since this is not putting out a PAL or NTSC signal. Plus the games are all US versions, so 50Hz isn't a problem either.

Well you say that but...I brought my UK NES Mini to play on my folks' telly in Canada over xmas and it could only output in black and white in most screen modes :(

Teggy

I'm curious... I've seen a lot of chinese console clones (I've been gifted as a joke a super powerstation 2 which is basically a NES in a PS2 shell with half a dozen roms and a thousand sprite swaps so that you have Super Pikachu Bros and the like...)

But this is new to me:
81u4rDoNV8L._SX342_.jpg

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01HI92PV2/

Basically the same thing, but cart version... Take a bunch of illegal roms, swap sprites, and put everithing in a fancy box.

Is this a "new" trend? (not brand new, since it's apparently one year old, and there's a bunch of those on sale). I feel like Amazon should remove this, but I'm probably too naive...

What are all those things? Metroid Eternal Darkness? Fan games?

Top Bottom