• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

jdstorm

Banned
I have a sealed regular (europe) copy of Valkyria Chronicles remastered. Should i break the seal and play it, or should i buy the digital version?

Rookhelm

why do so many games have chromatic abberation. imo, it looks awful and doesn't add anything to a game.

I'm sure it's supposed to replicate something the real eye does, but when rendered in a game, it's distracting.

I feel like I must have missed something somewhere along the line, but what is with the chest icon near the name of some of the shrines in Breath of the Wild? Is this new to the DLC? I never noticed them before.

mclem

I feel like I must have missed something somewhere along the line, but what is with the chest icon near the name of some of the shrines in Breath of the Wild? Is this new to the DLC? I never noticed them before.

Always been there, if it's present it means you've found all the chests in the shrine.

What are all those things? Metroid Eternal Darkness? Fan games?

Can't be sure without actually owning it, of course, but almost certainly romhacks galore. I mean, there's "Metroid: Wart's Invasion" up at the top there!

Edit: Yeah, many of those are listed on Romhacking.net. Wart's Invasion doesn't look bad at all!

Jo4S61c.png

Always been there, if it's present it means you've found all the chests in the shrine.

Oh, now I feel dumb. I can't believe I've never noticed that before...
I did notice it was only on the shrines I completed, but one of The Great Plateau's was missing one, guess it was my first shrine maybe?
Either way, thanks!

haikira

Was about to create a thread for the question below, but then I remembered this thread exists. Hopefully it's the right kind of question for this place.

What would you guys say is better for three player cooperative on PS4, God Eater 2 or Toukiden: Kiwami? Trying to pick between the two as the next game to play with a pair of friends.

I'm buying a PS4 Pro tomorrow and have a bigger hard drive I want to put in from the get go, and then transfer my current PS4 to the Pro.

So my question is, do I need to turn on the PS4 Pro with the stock HDD at all to do any initial setup? I'm assuming I can simply take it right out of the box, follow the official PS4 instructions and then do the system transfer?

And just to confirm, the system transfer does NOT wipe the system from which the data is transferred, correct? I'm going to keep it as my backup.

EDIT: Found the answers to my own questions.

First, you can take the stock HDD out and replace it prior to booting it up. However, the Sony website will try to get you to install just the update file manually, when you need to find the full system firmware file on the site in order to initialize the PS4.

Second, the system transfer does not wipe the data from the system the data is coming from.

NateDog

I have a couple of random questions.

- Is a FFVIII iOS port actually likely to happen? I've been waiting for it for a while since I was sure I saw people here a while back saying it should happen soon but that was about 1-2 years ago. I want to get it for my girlfriend as I feel like it's the best game for her personally to start with or to try get into.

- How is the FFIX iOS port? I thought I read some mixed thoughts on it but I'm not sure if any of the supposed issues got fixed or not. I guess I'm wondering what's the best port on iOS out of VI, VII and IX.

- I have the FFX HD collection on PS3 but am looking to play it on my Vita more regularly or entirely. Should I get the PS4 version and use Remote Play while also playing it on PS4 at random stages or should I get the Vita version?

So... What's the point of making gaming mice with over the top maximum DPI? I like a fast cursor and I I use it at 1600 dpi, but at the maximum 6000 I can't control anything. FPS gamers play on low dpi, and I will reduce the sensitivity for photoshop.

The only case I can see for such massive sensitivity would be on high dpi / 4k screens or multi screen setups, where at higher resolution, you would need more speed.

Yeah. Most of the major "popular" titles I've played. Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid. But outside of those, not much. I'm looking for something not many people know about.

All i can suggest is check Steam list for "Tower Defense" tag and see if any take your fancy. You've probably already done it but I was on Steam so here they are :). You could also try searching Game Community, there's probably a Tower Defense games thread in there somewhere.

NateDog

Do saves from game trials (like the one announced for ME Andromeda for example) carry over to the full game if you buy it? If so does that count for both digital and retail versions?

KarmaCow

Do saves from game trials (like the one announced for ME Andromeda for example) carry over to the full game if you buy it? If so does that count for both digital and retail versions?

I haven't had experience on console (and retail versions) but for stuff like ME Andromeda, the trial is usually just a time locked version of the full game. Which can be annoying if you want to just try the game but it requires downloading the full ~50GB of the game. In Andromeda's case, they explicitly say that your save will transfer over.

Carry Over Save Progression

If you enjoy the trial and decide to purchase the full game, your saved progress carries over so you can pick right up where you left off.

NateDog

I haven't had experience on console (and retail versions) but for stuff like ME Andromeda, the trial is usually just a time locked version of the full game. Which can be annoying if you want to just try the game but it requires downloading the full ~50GB of the game. In Andromeda's case, they explicitly say that your save will transfer over.
Ah thanks for clarifying that, I was hoping there would be some info on the page but I could only get onto the store on mobile so there was limited information. Thanks!

mclem

I've recently picked up a cheap Vita TV; I already have a Vita. Can I just bring the memory card over, or do I need some sort of conversion process? I recall there was some issue at Vita launch with something being locked out, but I don't recall what it was and if it applies to this situation.

Maxey

Does the regular PS4 support checkerboard rendering?

Would be cool if future sub-1080p games on PS4 amateur could get a boost in image quality this way.

I've recently picked up a cheap Vita TV; I already have a Vita. Can I just bring the memory card over, or do I need some sort of conversion process? I recall there was some issue at Vita launch with something being locked out, but I don't recall what it was and if it applies to this situation.

Nah it works just fine, except your currently set up folders are going to be a damn mess. Game installs and saves carry over but not your layout

Any suggestions on how to charge 14 Playstation Move controllers as fast as possible, while spending as little money as possible? They are very picky about what USB ports they will charge off of (there needs to be a data connection, not just power).

(I'm at a summer camp running lots of games of Johann Sebastian Joust)

Drain You

Warning: This post may not make the most sense.

If I download a 8k video and play it on my computer screen, lets say its a 1080 monitor, when I playback fullscreen does that mean for all intents and purposes downsampled? I've only ever downsampled a couple source games a couple years ago, so I know the basics, I just don't know if video playback would somehow have the same gains.

Warning: This post may not make the most sense.

If I download a 8k video and play it on my computer screen, lets say its a 1080 monitor, when I playback fullscreen does that mean for all intents and purposes downsampled? I've only ever downsampled a couple source games a couple years ago, so I know the basics, I just don't know if video playback would somehow have the same gains.
The video will be downsampled, but not necessarily using an algorithm that will improve the video quality.

y9XDi9k.png

(source)

shanafan

Been listening to the Sims soundtrack on YouTube, and for the track "Building Mode 2", this comment is spammed. And then I see it's all over the web.

"When I was in 8th grade, I had a friend named Melissa. I had a huge crush on her and, looking back at it, I can say I loved her more than any of the women I date now at the age of 25. Melissa was killed in a car accident with her parents. She never knew how I felt. Sometimes i think if I would have told her she'd still be alive. I made a family and Melissa was my wife. We had two kids and millions of Simoleons. Every few years I still turn on my old PC to see how she's doing. She's happy."

https://youtu.be/Mke9z4qfTFU?list=PL538B8AD43F078BFA

What's the original context? Where did it first appear?

jdstorm

Banned
Was thinking about starting a thread but it seems like a question meant for this one.

What joke title games would you like to see get made?

Obviously Unkarted and Knack 2 are classic contenders.

A new potentially new one could be "Asmashin's Creed"

jdstorm

Banned
Ha. What?

A Smashin's Creed.

A Super Smash Bro's clone starring characters from the Assasins Creed Series.

They would actually have a solid roster by now too. Altir, Ezio, Conner, Edward, Arno, Elise, Evie, Jacob, AC:Origins guy, Desmond, Lucy. There are probably some notable non mainline Assasins worth a roster spot.

Been listening to the Sims soundtrack on YouTube, and for the track "Building Mode 2", this comment is spammed. And then I see it's all over the web.

https://youtu.be/Mke9z4qfTFU?list=PL538B8AD43F078BFA

What's the original context? Where did it first appear?
It's just a comment that someone left on the video. The way YouTube currently organizes comments made it fall down the comment section, so people repost the story so that it would live on in the comments section and always be at the top.

DKPOWPOW

Was thinking about starting a thread but it seems like a question meant for this one.

What joke title games would you like to see get made?

Obviously Unkarted and Knack 2 are classic contenders.

A new potentially new one could be "Asmashin's Creed"

EXCITE COOK

Do tricks while you cook to get xtra points, reach the (!) marks to throw other competitors food flying and they must run around like chickens trying to catch it before it splatters all over the ground. If you screw up, and drop your food massive bugs and rodents come in to eat the scraps and you must fight them off.

Years ago, I had a magazine with an article about Parasite Eve II. There was a shot from some creatures in that article and I wanted to know what are those, but didn't have the game and my friends didn't have it too.
I was watching a collection of PS1 commercials today and saw those creatures again! What are those exactly? Some normal enemies or more than that?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYD9LPuV88 (00:55)

jcCtTf.jpg

Top Bottom