• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

I'm trying to pair my new Xbox One controller with my PC, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I am doing the search, the device is not coming up. I'm using the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

I click on Devices which takes me to "Bluetooth & other devices" -> "Add Bluetooth & other device" -> "Everything else" -> Turn on Controller -> Press the small black circle to search for a new device -> ???

at which point nothing happens

Why is this not working? Did a recent update break Bluetooth?

mclem

I'm going to be spending some time at my parents' with my nieces next month - I'm also planning to deposit a PS4 there for my own use when I visit them (and for them to use as a Blu-ray player, among other things), and that's got me thinking:

Are there any notable games for young kids (10 and under) that would make it a good idea for me to pick up a second controller? None instantly spring to mind, but a second perspective might be beneficial. In particular I haven't really explored The Playroom, which is a possibility - and on top of that, I *might* be taking the PSVR, too, if I can figure out the logistics of transporting it, in which case Playroom VR is also perhaps a thing.

I'm going to be spending some time at my parents' with my nieces next month - I'm also planning to deposit a PS4 there for my own use when I visit them (and for them to use as a Blu-ray player, among other things), and that's got me thinking:

Are there any notable games for young kids (10 and under) that would make it a good idea for me to pick up a second controller? None instantly spring to mind, but a second perspective might be beneficial. In particular I haven't really explored The Playroom, which is a possibility - and on top of that, I *might* be taking the PSVR, too, if I can figure out the logistics of transporting it, in which case Playroom VR is also perhaps a thing.

A friend's kids who are at about that age always have a blast playing Rocket League, Street Fighter V and taking turns on Driveclub when they come over.

Been interested in a few Switch ports and have no clue when/where/how to obtain them.

Is Stardew valley still due out in November?

Is rocket league still due this year?

There is a version of Minecraft already out for the switch but it doesn't appear to be the updated version with the altogether content. I'm assuming that content is part of an update, but is it an update for base Minecraft or for the story mode version?

Can I purchase a version of Minecraft for the switch now that will just get updated with all the other stuff later is my question.

LegendX48

Got myself a PS4 Pro the other day

how do you set TLOU Remastered to its 4k mode? I thought changing the frame rate to 30 enabled it but all it does is just kill the frame rate, everything still looks 100% the same.

Minamu

Got myself a PS4 Pro the other day

how do you set TLOU Remastered to its 4k mode? I thought changing the frame rate to 30 enabled it but all it does is just kill the frame rate, everything still looks 100% the same.
Is your PS4 set to 4k resolution in the console settings? That might help.

Minamu

I have it set to automatic but it says it's doing full 3840x2160 when I check both in and out of game.

edit: do I need to disable hdr?
I don't know for sure, I found some really old Gamefaqs posts saying that the game is always 4k on the Pro regardless of framerate mode, but I don't know if that's true these days. Another post said you need to activate "UHD color" on your actual TV. I don't have the game myself :/

LegendX48

I don't know for sure, I found some really old Gamefaqs posts saying that the game is always 4k on the Pro regardless of framerate mode, but I don't know if that's true these days. Another post said you need to activate "UHD color" on your actual TV. I don't have the game myself :/
Just checked out a few settings and it seems you're right, it defaults to 4k mode. I manually changed my pro to output 1080p and took some screens to compare and, sure enough, the auto setting was outputting 4k, which looked cleaner. I thought the framerate toggle alternated between the resolutions but that wasn't the case.

Minamu

Just checked out a few settings and it seems you're right, it defaults to 4k mode. I manually changed my pro to output 1080p and took some screens to compare and, sure enough, the auto setting was outputting 4k, which looked cleaner. I thought the framerate toggle alternated between the resolutions but that wasn't the case.
Double check in the OT :)

IrishNinja

so for a modding job (SMS) i was told:

Anything from 0.02 to 0.5 mm2 would be fine. Basically any general purpose hook up wire is suitable

can someone just link me to something cheap on amazon prime that fits this criteria? i wanna make sure i have the right stuff! thanks in advance here

GenG3000

Hi GAF, I'm looking for the best LAN adapter compatible with both the Wii U and the Switch. Is the AX88179 chipset compatible with Wii U?

So it's my birthday month and I got a for you Nintendo offer (30% off a game). I'm stuff trying to choose between Mario Kart 7 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I;m sure I would enjoy both but can't decide. Help!

Jezan

I have a random question about Mega Man X.

I have been looking for a password that I'm sure exist (as I have used it before a long long time ago) that lets you start with all weapons but in the highway level.

I was checking a guide about how the system works but it didn't include anything regarding the starting level because it was not part of the normal "system" of passwords programed.

Anyone knows that password?

I have a random question about Mega Man X.

I have been looking for a password that I'm sure exist (as I have used it before a long long time ago) that lets you start with all weapons but in the highway level.

I was checking a guide about how the system works but it didn't include anything regarding the starting level because it was not part of the normal "system" of passwords programed.

Anyone knows that password?

Try 3475 5668 2581

dyliepew

I'm in the process of selling some of my more collectible gaming items for some cash. I have really been wanting a GameCube because I never had one as a kid, and I've yet to play the classics on it (Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Sunshine, etc.) . I'm wondering what the likelihood is that Nintendo will offer GameCube games on the Virtual Console for the Switch because I think it'd make more sense to spend my cash on a new console rather than another console that could possibly collect dust after a month of use.

Podge293

I'm in the process of selling some of my more collectible gaming items for some cash. I have really been wanting a GameCube because I never had one as a kid, and I've yet to play the classics on it (Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Sunshine, etc.) . I'm wondering what the likelihood is that Nintendo will offer GameCube games on the Virtual Console for the Switch because I think it'd make more sense to spend my cash on a new console rather than another console that could possibly collect dust after a month of use.

Not sure how definitive but it's definitely been rumoured they are making those exact games for the VC for switch

dyliepew

Not sure how definitive but it's definitely been rumoured they are making those exact games for the VC for switch

Awesome! I thought I had heard rumors but wasn't sure. I guess I'll take the risk then and become a part of the group of gamers who spam Nintendo with VC emails all the time until it happens. Thanks for the help!

fvng

There's a game trailer on psn for a game, the trailer says it won an award for best game narrative? I forgot the name but I was interested in it.

There's a game trailer on psn for a game, the trailer says it won an award for best game narrative? I forgot the name but I was interested in it.

That's super general. You can't describe a single thing about the game? Perhaps check out these links for more recent nominees and winners:

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

http://awards.bafta.org/award/2017/games/narrative

Life is Strange also came up as a past winner and with the prequel just out there's a chance that trailer mentioned it or you saw a trailer for the first game?

fvng

That's super general. You can't describe a single thing about the game? Perhaps check out these links for more recent nominees and winners:

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

http://awards.bafta.org/award/2017/games/narrative

Life is Strange also came up as a past winner and with the prequel just out there's a chance that trailer mentioned it or you saw a trailer for the first game?

True, it seemed like a horror game with very dark tones, and it also seemed like a recent release so it wouldn't have been either life is strange game

Dumb PS4 n00b questions.

- Can you not turn the controllers off without turning the console off? PS3 would just let you hold down the home button and turn it off.

- How can I manage downloads? I thought I queued up 4 but instead it's downloading them all at once. I can't find an option for pausing them...

- Can you rearrange the order of the game icons? I want alphabetical, damn it!

Nottle

I'm currently writing a review for final fantasy 2 and want a smart word for when the gameplay mechanics like character stats inform the player about the world, characters, or story.

I know it's always used in the context of ludonarative dissonance, but is the term I'm looking for Ludo narrative?

Who's the real Mario? The one before eating the mushroom? In that case, does that mean that in every other game, in which he is clearly big-Mario, he's always on mushrooms?

rpmboy

Dumb PS4 n00b questions.

- Can you not turn the controllers off without turning the console off? PS3 would just let you hold down the home button and turn it off.

- How can I manage downloads? I thought I queued up 4 but instead it's downloading them all at once. I can't find an option for pausing them...

- Can you rearrange the order of the game icons? I want alphabetical, damn it!
1. You've been able to do that since day 1, it's in the controller settings menu after holding down the PS button. (That's probably not the exact name, but some thing like that)
2. Pause them by hitting X on them. (Either that or Options button, haven't really played PS4 in a few months, but its definitely an option.)
3. No, but I believe A-Z is an option in the library. Just not on the home menu
I'm currently writing a review for final fantasy 2 and want a smart word for when the gameplay mechanics like character stats inform the player about the world, characters, or story.

I know it's always used in the context of ludonarative dissonance, but is the term I'm looking for Ludo narrative?
Ludonarrative is an adjective, it means having to do with the narrative of a game. For example, "ludonarrative dissonance" tells you it is dissonance that has to do with a game and its narrative. It can't really be on its own. Not sure there's a phrase that would sum up the whole idea you're trying to get across. Maybe something like "world building via gameplay mechanics"? I'm not really the writer type, maybe someone else better at writing can chime in.

Who's the real Mario? The one before eating the mushroom? In that case, does that mean that in every other game, in which he is clearly big-Mario, he's always on mushrooms?

The manual for SMB1 refers to small Mario as "Mario" and big Mario as "Super Mario". Given that the games are called Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 64, etc. and not just Mario Odyssey and Mario 64, I'm inclined to believe that big Mario is the default state (at least in the Super Mario subseries) because his name is in the title.

1. You've been able to do that since day 1, it's in the controller settings menu after holding down the PS button. (That's probably not the exact name, but some thing like that)
2. Pause them by hitting X on them. (Either that or Options button, haven't really played PS4 in a few months, but its definitely an option.)
3. No, but I believe A-Z is an option in the library. Just not on the home menu

Ludonarrative is an adjective, it means having to do with the narrative of a game. For example, "ludonarrative dissonance" tells you it is dissonance that has to do with a game and its narrative. It can't really be on its own. Not sure there's a phrase that would sum up the whole idea you're trying to get across. Maybe something like "world building via gameplay mechanics"? I'm not really the writer type, maybe someone else better at writing can chime in.

The manual for SMB1 refers to small Mario as "Mario" and big Mario as "Super Mario". Given that the games are called Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario 64, etc. and not just Mario Odyssey and Mario 64, I'm inclined to believe that big Mario is the default state (at least in the Super Mario subseries) because his name is in the title.

Wow, didn't know that is the reason why it's called super! Makes sense!

rpmboy

Wow, didn't know that is the reason why it's called super! Makes sense!

Here's more concrete proof, ripped from the Super Mario article on the Mario wiki:

All games depict Super Mario as Mario's regular form. In fact, Mario always appears as Super Mario in the endings of most Super Mario games, and the opening movies created for Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 and Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 depict Mario and Luigi's Super forms as their standard forms. Also, the opening of New Super Mario Bros. depicts Mario or Luigi starting out in their Super forms, only to take damage off-screen and revert to the Small form in time for the actual gameplay. This means that Super Mario is in fact Mario's normal non-powered form, and he becomes Small when taking damage, similar to Wario in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario

Just gonna talk out of my ass here for a second: SMB1 starts you as small Mario for game design reasons, not for any story reasons. Having you start as small Mario and then giving you the Mushroom in the first ? block (which you are naturally drawn to, it stands out) is a great way of teaching the player as they play. First time players also probably take damage from the first goomba, which shows them going back to small Mario. You get the whole damage mechanic in the first 15 seconds (without being killed if you got the mushroom, play is not halted) with no explanation required.

I have a System Shock 2 question:

Is it a part of normal gameplay that you're expected to use the elevator to backtrack to prior levels (say, from Hydroponics back to Engineering) in order to find the specific chemicals you need for research? Or should I keep pressing forward hoping to find what I need?

Rufus

I have a System Shock 2 question:

Is it a part of normal gameplay that you're expected to use the elevator to backtrack to prior levels (say, from Hydroponics back to Engineering) in order to find the specific chemicals you need for research? Or should I keep pressing forward hoping to find what I need?
Backtracking is normal. But there is also more than one place to get chemicals. To minimize travel, you can note down what's where, but you can also (read: should) use the elevator as storage. Everything in there is persistent.

Big Nikus

My Home Button on my Xbox One controller doesn't bring up the game bar anymore in the Xbox app (playing on PC). It's driving me crazy, I use it to take screenshots and videos. I used to be able to navigate in the app with the controller but not anymore. And the box saying "Use the home button to bring up the game bar" is checked.

GringoJB

So I was lucky enough to score a Famicom Mini/Classic/whatever it's called (the JP NES Classic) off of amazon.jp last year (I live in the US). I went to fire it up the other day and it refuses to output any video/audio... just pretty much dead. Can anyone remember any thread or any sage advice to help me resuscitate something like this? Or should I just pour one out for it at this point and accept my loss. Thanks!

Head.spawn

How the hell do I clear notifications on PS4? I've pressed every button I can think of.

My Home Button on my Xbox One controller doesn't bring up the game bar anymore in the Xbox app (playing on PC). It's driving me crazy, I use it to take screenshots and videos. I used to be able to navigate in the app with the controller but not anymore. And the box saying "Use the home button to bring up the game bar" is checked.

Some games need to be in 'Borderless Fullscreen' I believe.

I_D

Every once in a while games give me a "Fraps messes with DX11/12" message before starting. While this doesn't seem to be true in 100% of the games I've tried, PUBG takes it to a new level:

untitled2kbwz.png

So my question:

Has anybody tried "Microsoft Expression Encoder?" Is it any good? Anybody know anything about it at all?

Here's more concrete proof, ripped from the Super Mario article on the Mario wiki:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario

Just gonna talk out of my ass here for a second: SMB1 starts you as small Mario for game design reasons, not for any story reasons. Having you start as small Mario and then giving you the Mushroom in the first ? block (which you are naturally drawn to, it stands out) is a great way of teaching the player as they play. First time players also probably take damage from the first goomba, which shows them going back to small Mario. You get the whole damage mechanic in the first 15 seconds (without being killed if you got the mushroom, play is not halted) with no explanation required.

Nice!

By the way, someone must've "stolen" my question and sent it to Beastcast because they discussed it in their email section! Cool

Oreoleo

Every once in a while games give me a "Fraps messes with DX11/12" message before starting. While this doesn't seem to be true in 100% of the games I've tried, PUBG takes it to a new level:

untitled2kbwz.png

So my question:

Has anybody tried "Microsoft Expression Encoder?" Is it any good? Anybody know anything about it at all?

With all due respect, don't Nvidia and AMD both have game recording features built into their drivers/software suites? Why use FRAPS or an external program at all?

I_D

With all due respect, don't Nvidia and AMD both have game recording features built into their drivers/software suites? Why use FRAPS or an external program at all?

FRAPS records raw footage. Nothing is compressed.

Nvidia's Shadowplay is pretty good, but the bitrate is terrible compared to FRAPS. I know people don't like FRAPS because it hurts the framerate by a significant amount, but that trade off gets you perfect 1:1 bitrates. Shadowplay is my second go-to, though.

I was just curious if this new Microsoft system is any good. I've never even heard of it outside of PUBG's popup.

fr0st

Banned
So I'm using steam on my laptop but have an external hdd for my games.

Was wondering if I can skip the verification of game files everytime I want to play a game from the external hdd.

Or do I have to keep it plugged in all the time

LegendX48

I have a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ and a Sony x900e 4k tv. Do I need some kind of Displayport to HDMI cable/adapter to use hdr in games that support it? I know I can't touch RE7's HDR option with an HDMI cable.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
I have a laptop Mac that can access the app store. I would like to buy many games like BG:EE, Planscape torment, and Icewind Dale.

How often does this storefront have sales? I can't find any information on this.

I have a laptop Mac that can access the app store. I would like to buy many games like BG:EE, Planscape torment, and Icewind Dale.

How often does this storefront have sales? I can't find any information on this.

Why not use Steam or GOG? I use Steam with my 2011 MacBook Pro. I've never touched the app store, was never a fan of it.

Battlechili

Banned
If I wanted to buy authentic game boxes and manuals but not the games themselves, where would I look? Specifically, I have a copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (the cartridge), but I want to own the box and manual for it too. Is there any place I can go that sells such boxes and manuals without the games?

Top Bottom