• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

moggio

Banned
Yes, he won Best Director and Best Picture for A Beautiful Mind...in the same year the following films were also released:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Moulin Rouge!
Mulholland Dr.
Ghost World

This does not make him a particularly gifted filmmaker.

I mean, Mulholland Drive is considered one of the best films of the 00s.

jett

D-Member
So how come Rian Johnson is saying that he felt free while making Ep8, but Gareth Edwards and Lord/Miller were under strict control by Kennedy?

I was watching the behind the scenes footage of Rogue One yesterday, and Edwards looks uncomfortable, as well does Kennedy look very manic and frightening.

So much for creative freedom at Lucasfilm I guess...

Is there footage of that online?

Nibel

axz3Kjv.gif

Yet here on this very forum,a movie called AVATAR that had an 82% RT is shit on relentlessly and somehow, in those discussions, critical consensus doesn't mean shit.
Even the people who think Avatar was shit have enough sense to look at other movies James Cameron has made and are smart enough to not label him as a terrible director or a hack.

This is just another thread infected by hyperbole. Howard is a fine director who can helm this project fine but people are so upset about losing Lord and Miller that they were going to shit on pretty much anybody who took their place.

dmshaposv

Ughh.

Rom howard who made apollo 13 is very different than who we have today. Howard churns out the most pedestrian and trite oscar bait shit.

That's my point. All of those films are higher in quality than A Beautiful Mind, as history has now proven by the level of remembrance/reverence shown to them.

Or, to put it more bluntly, holding an Oscar in each hand does not a master director make.

Getting an Oscar means you were a great director for atleast one film.

sphagnum

Banned
So how come Rian Johnson is saying that he felt free while making Ep8, but Gareth Edwards and Lord/Miller were under strict control by Kennedy?

I was watching the behind the scenes footage of Rogue One yesterday, and Edwards looks uncomfortable, as well does Kennedy look very manic and frightening.

Nobody had been under strict control until the rough cuts start to happen, it seems. Edwards did whatever he wanted and when it didn't work Kennedy brought in Gilroy. L&M did what they wanted and when Kennedy wasn't happy and wanted them to do reshoots and they said no, that's when they got booted. If Rian has had no problems, and he's been allowed to do what he wants, it's because his vision lines up with what she is ok with.

Ristifer

Of course not. A Beautiful Mind proves that it's not much of an accomplishment all by itself.
I don't get the argument. His film was great and won awards. If you didn't like it, then okay. But it still means he was recognized for a great movie. He's also made plenty of great movies that haven't won awards.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if Kennedy would fire Spielberg like that if he was doing Star Wars.

This is nonsense because for one Spielberg's style isn't anything like Lord and Miller's. Also, Kennedy and Spielberg are partners in their own film production company, Amblin.

Speaking on Lord and Miller, I don't know why they even hired these two. I don't see how their previous work matches up to Star Wars in any way, shape or form.

Ughh.

Rom howard who made apollo 13 is very different than who we have today. Howard churns out the most pedestrian and trite oscar bait shit.

Rush is genuinely great.

With a sold script, Ron Howard does good work.

Eh wasnt excited for the needless Han Solo movie and now even less.

Lord and Miller at least was a interesting choice but i bet now its gonna be so safe.

I don't get the argument. His film was great and won awards. If you didn't like it, then okay. But it still means he was recognized for a great movie. He's also made plenty of great movies that haven't won awards.

My argument is that he has not made a single "great" movie, holding a trophy doesn't prove otherwise, and I don't expect him to start making great movies now. That's all.

DeathyBoy

Banned

People don't tell one of the greatest directors to ever live how to make a film.

Spielberg can't make a bad film. You might not like it, but on a purely technical level it's leagues beyond what most could make. Kennedy would love it if she could get the master to slum it on this tripe.

Dabanton

So I guess this marks the end of Lucasfilms experiment of handing these films to more younger 'indie minded' film directors.

Sulik2

I'm gonna side with Kasdan on this if the split was about tone. He understands the tone of Star Wars better then Lucas' himself does. Ron Howard has made some solid movies, he is a very tough position here. This will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out.

Even the people who think Avatar was shit have enough sense to look at other movies James Cameron has made and are smart enough to not label him as a terrible director or a hack.

This is just another thread infected by hyperbole. Howard is a fine director who can helm this project fine but people are so upset about losing Lord and Miller that they were going to shit on pretty much anybody who took their place.

Huh? That poster was responding to someone and​ wanting to differ to the reviews of Rogue One as the evidence that the film was good. He/she was saying that the person who didn't like said movie was concern trolling.

It had nothing to do with what you are saying.

jett

D-Member
So I guess this marks the end of Lucasfilms experiment of handing these films to more younger 'indie minded' film directors.

That's funny because all of these directors they've hired are in their 40's, most of them a decade older (and more) than Lucas was when he started working on Star Wars.

a916

Lord and Miller was the only reason I was excited in this... have little interest in seeing Han Solo beyond the fact that it's a Star Wars movie.

So meh... will probably still be there day one because Star Wars...

Spielberg shoots quickly and efficiently and almost always sticks to the script. He isn't a "find the movie in the editing room" kind of guy.

That being said, I believe that one of the reasons that Spielberg turned down the RotJ directing gig was that he was worried his personal style wouldn't mesh with Star Wars.

And I believe that JK Rowling rejected Spielberg as a director on the first Harry Potter movie because he was upfront that he would not be beholden to a slavish adaptation of the book.

Ahhh another day of, "Internet can't handle who was hired". Then fast forward to when the movie comes out, "OMG *persons name* did such an amazing job! OMG"

I don't get running down Ron Howard over his catalog when this is a Star Wars movie, not Moonlight or something.

It's a safe genre pic, that's what he's good at.

Ashhong

This question keeps coming up and it's such an obvious answer.

Rian felt free because Kennedy liked what she saw and had no reason to interfere. Obviously I don't know if that's the truth, nobody does, but it's a pretty simple answer.

And I believe that JK Rowling rejected Spielberg as a director on the first Harry Potter movie because he was upfront that he would not be beholden to a slavish adaptation of the book.

IIRC he wanted to do it animated, with the first three years combined.

One of the few times I'm glad Spielberg didn't make something.

He's a good craftsman, he's just not making very interesting movies. If they just want him to come in and do the directing, he's probably a pretty good choice.

A very simple "Who do I blame/praise for this?" chart for this movie

All the funny stuff was due to Lord & Miller's comedic genius
Everything that's not funny is Ron Howard's fault

He wrote it, it's about his favorite SW character, and he is the most qualified for the job (for obvious reasons)

That still doesn't necessarily mean he wants to direct it.

It's also worth noting that a shake-up like this definitely is drawing some Disney exec/board scrutiny. Plopping in Ron Howard is a good way to soothe concerns.

Should have got Lynch the god

Star Wars needs more eraserhead type monsters and the Kessell run could have been an escape from an ugly beast while smuggling shit

That still doesn't mean he wants to direct it.

It's also worth noting that a shake-up like this definitely is drawing some Disney exec/board scrutiny. Plopping in Ron Howard is a good way to sooth concerns.

I don't think Howard will enjoy directing someone else's movie, fan or not, it's beneath him. Also, even with reshoots, it will never be his film.

Top Bottom