• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

SwolBro

Banned
It sucks Legions Smart Core has been reduced to either finishing Titans that have about a bar worth of health left or taking out annoying pilots. Ronin's Core ability isn't this bad.

Hmm... dunno about that. Legion is a devastating backline player. Problem with these Titans is that they all serve purposes. There is no "i'm taking this Titan and doing everything". They all function within a set of parameters and going outside it will surely doom you.

The most versatile Titan of the bunch is Ion. Played right it's a Titan capable of being aggressive and defensive.

Okay so I've been playing since November and for 3 months now pretty much exclusively LTS. Attrition and the other game modes are great too but nothing beats titan on titan. I think after the last update the titans are pretty balanced. One of the best parts of the game is how many different play styles there are.

I can say now that I'm pretty damn good with Ronin. Consistently get over 50k damage and many times 70-80k routinely. It's not a hard counter to Tone, but it's a pretty damn good one, especially when you have to use teamwork. The sword wave kills the Tone shield in one shot and then you can go in to the battle and just cause mayhem while your teammates light it up from far. The wave is also great for removing Legion's shield. Close up, it can fuck up any titan except Scorch, and it's excellent for hit and runs. Phasing behind the enemy team and throwing down a smoke, they will get wrecked unless they have backup on the side. Phasing into another titan and automatically dying is infuriating though.

Tone and Legion are probably the easiest to use for new players, experienced players do crazy damage though. I didn't realize how good Legion was until I started playing with some good players. Legion can eat health from long range, and mid range power shot x 2 is deadly. Knock back makes it even more lethal. Equipping a dash is pretty much necessary. Smart core is cheap as fuck...arguably the best core on LTS. Even up close it's hard to fight a legion that has smart core on.

Ion is also great, but it has to be used strategically which probably makes it harder to use. Laser shots are deadly and even the main gun can pull off a good amount of damage. The shield is amazing when used properly and it's definitely a hard counter to Legion, a good Ion player will never lose in a Legion fight. I try to kill Ion players first because its core can kill an entire team...and it can get its core pretty fast.

For scorch, I think if you're a really good scorch player you will end up doing the most damage on your team in a lot of maps. You can deny entire sections of some maps. The shield does CRAZY damage, and it's really hard to beat if you're a Ronin. Hit and run is a key tactic if you're fighting scorch and you really need to use its lack of speed to your advantage. I was surprised at the range of flame core too...that thing goes far. Having a scorch fighting beside you lets you take more risks too.

Northstar is probably the hardest to be really good at, but it's amazing when used properly. You can go entire games just getting wrecked from far and there's pretty much nothing you can do. Really good for countering Scorch and Legion. Good luck trying to chase it down too...even when you're close, the tether traps are going to stop your progress...those things are annoying as fuck and they can change the outcome of a match once you get stuck in one or two and it's too late to do anything. It's definitely risky flying around and even using the core, but that can be mitigated if you're playing smart and using your speed to move all over the map. This is a game where movement is key. Northstar is not only the most agile Titan, but it can also fuck up the movement of enemy titans.

Just my thoughts...overall I think it's pretty decently balanced at this stage. If you're playing against good teams, you will need to communicate with your teammates if you want a chance to win, which is why it's kinda hard if you're playing solo.

TBH in LTS (that goes beyond a 3-0) 70k damage is minimum of good score. I routinely do 90k with Ion on maps that are not Crash Site or Complex (those are Scorch and Ronin home ground).

SwolBro

Banned
I really wish Respawn would allow us to adjust things in private matches. I would love nothing more than to turn off Pilot health indicator. That would go a long way in privates/tournies. Damn it would make the game so much better.

Arrrammis

I really wish Respawn would allow us to adjust things in private matches. I would love nothing more than to turn off Pilot health indicator. That would go a long way in privates/tournies. Damn it would make the game so much better.

Some of the kind of customization options that Overwatch has would be amazing! Imagine a game where everyone has unlimited cooldowns on grapple, or a game where touching the ground deals damage to you, or (like you mentioned) remove certain HUD elements to make competitive more skill-based in terms of spotting and tracking enemies.

RIP Burn Cards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyeVG2s6QA

-Amped DMR wasn't a damage boost, but a Sonar perk when scoped. TF2 Amped DMR = 1-shot kill at any distance
-Amped Kraber added explosive damage.
-Amped Archer was devastating but slow. TF2 after the most recent patch is just absurd. Dont really have time to react
-Amped Spitfire had a faster rate of fire and enemies exploded
-Amped P2011 was changed to a burst fire weapon
-Amped Charge Rifle had a faster charge
-Amped Side winder had increased ammo capacity and mag size

TF1 had unique ways of increasing the weapons effectiveness whereas TF2's answer was simply to damage boost everything
Quoting from last page, but holy hell do I miss Burn Cards. They were one of my favourite parts of TF1. I loved having all of these different options to bring into combat with me. None of them felt overpowered and they gave much needed variety to the combat sandbox considering the small amount of weapons and Titans.

SwolBro

Banned
Some of the kind of customization options that Overwatch has would be amazing! Imagine a game where everyone has unlimited cooldowns on grapple, or a game where touching the ground deals damage to you, or (like you mentioned) remove certain HUD elements to make competitive more skill-based in terms of spotting and tracking enemies.

One can only dream.

Also, I still miss Spyglass :(

On a side-note regarding TF Lore:

Are the AI Robot Pilots supposed be prior real people who's consciousness was preserved?

thanks

Also, Respawn/Rayme, anyway you guys are planning expanding said lore in the future, like say webcomics or something?

bigJP

Hmm... dunno about that. Legion is a devastating backline player. Problem with these Titans is that they all serve purposes. There is no "i'm taking this Titan and doing everything". They all function within a set of parameters and going outside it will surely doom you.

The most versatile Titan of the bunch is Ion. Played right it's a Titan capable of being aggressive and defensive.

not to bring titanfall 1 into the discussion, but thats what i miss. every titan type seems viable allow an aggressive playtype whereas in tf2 its more rock paper scissors.

SwolBro

Banned
no. titanfall 2 is a much more refined with experience with way more variety, and that's not even to mention the campaign.

Sure, from a content and tactical perspective i agree with you. Gameplay complexity and depth? Titanfall 1 feels like the successor.

not to bring titanfall 1 into the discussion, but thats what i miss. every titan type seems viable allow an aggressive playtype whereas in tf2 its more rock paper scissors.
I can have fun with Titanfall 2 LTS and Titans in general at times but for the most part they're very bleh. There's not much you can do outside of each Titan's abilities. You have to pull off timed combos. It's what they wanted from a design standpoint. They've said it multiple times that they wanted the TItans to feel like you were playing street fighter. They succeeded in doing that, i just don't think it's better than the first games' Titan combat.

First game was super fast chaos. This game is slow and methodical.

SwolBro

Banned
Just lost with a 221 point attrition game. I'm genuinely confused how this playerbase gets to work without getting hit by cars or feeds themselves frequently enough to not starve.

It never ceases to amaze me. I go take a look at reddit (because Respawn loves the praise there and always responds to people) and my mind gets blown, daily.

Guy creates a thread about amped weapon stacking and he gets downvoted. Why? Amped weapons is obnoxious, stacking it is mind blowingly stupid to allow, and yet people are bothered by the suggestion?

MIND BLOWNNNNNNNN

Cels

i was looking at the origin sale and noticed the angel city's most wanted bundle is 25% off but the deluxe upgrade has no discount

what's up with that?

Rayme

Not saying there's no good criticism here, obviously. "Respawn loves the praise" trolling isn't going to go very far with me, though.

There are more conversations on Reddit because you've got more devs who are able to have a voice there, or just register an account to join in at all.

Either way; more is read than responded to. Maybe that's not ideal, I don't know. It's rarely as simple as "this post is 100% correct and we should do everything it says", but plenty of times is useful fuel for a conversation.

Reddit thread voting is always weird though. At one point anything happy was stomped into the ground, and that was fun too.

grendelrt

Not saying there's no good criticism here, obviously. "Respawn loves the praise" trolling isn't going to go very far with me, though.

There are more conversations on Reddit because you've got more devs who are able to have a voice there, or just register an account to join in at all.

Either way; more is read than responded to. Maybe that's not ideal, I don't know. It's rarely as simple as "this post is 100% correct and we should do everything it says", but plenty of times is useful fuel for a conversation.

Reddit thread voting is always weird though. At one point anything happy was stomped into the ground, and that was fun too.
Seeing the feedback is the most important thing, but just letting people know what's going on is also up there. Just a list of things being looked at is useful. Speaking of which, when we getting another FNN =)

Of course

I think most here understand that. We don't want a pat on the head after every post. Some are looking for a conversation with the devs from time to time, to pick your brains and such. So when these walls of text are posted and no one really acknowledges it it's like "why do I bother?"

Everyone ultimately wants the same thing for the game to be best it can be

g2 is the god gun nobody talks about

Top 3
But most are "the game is fine" or "devotion bb"

You have to be able to aim to use it lol.

God no
Just spam until you hit something. 3-shot kill at nearly every range with a fast rate of fire.

SwolBro

Banned
You have to be able to aim to use it lol.

Not on console.

Yeah but for the love of... come on Rayme. I've seen you guys respond to the worst kinds of posts, i mean posts that anyone that has put significant time into the game can see immediately that it lacks knowledge.

Deep thoughtful posts with real insight from people you clearly can tell they know what they're talking about continuously goes ignored. I don't really get how that works at all. Countless posts that have been ignored that delved into:

• Over compensating Aim-assist (when boots are on ground)
  • The pilot glow
  • Map design
  • Amped weapons boost stacking
  • Separate balancing for PC and Console (Still no answer given why there isn't)
  • Private match customization

and so on

EIther no straight answers given, or topics completely ignored. Now i get it that it's a "privilege" and all to get to speak to devs directly but feeling entitled to answers isn't our fault. Blame social media, blame the way society is now. People like to have dialogue, meaningful dialogue, not bullcrap answers to posters that don't know a lick of what they speak.

All this with love of course (before someone decides i'm lacking appreciation or whatever)
=)

Greddleok

Nuke Eject makes the heavy titans practically unusable. It's everywhere. I didn't think anything of it when I was playing Ronin constantly, but now I've been trying out Scorch again, it's so frustrating. I really understand why people hate it now.

SwolBro

Banned
Scorch should always have a dash though. Shouldn't be a problem getting away. I can see where legion would be a pain though.

I don't run into many nuke ejects for some reason.

Greddleok

I always run dash, but it's mostly on cool down because I use it constantly when engaging. I suppose I could save it for NE, but then that's basically the same as not having dash.

I love that there is a perk that makes auto titan better. I love to call it in and just wait nearby in a second story window to kill or rodeo anyone that is distracted by it.

Alx

I always run dash, but it's mostly on cool down because I use it constantly when engaging. I suppose I could save it for NE, but then that's basically the same as not having dash.

I also use dash a lot, but when in close range you shouldn't use it but burn your opponent's face with your shield instead of running away.
I rarely get caught in a nuclear eject, unless I get stuck against a wall or obstacle I had not seen. When the dash isn't available I may be too slow to avoid the damage area completely, but not enough to be killed. Or you can manually trigger your own ejection if you don't think you'll make it (once the animation is triggered, you can't be killed by the other titan explosion)

Donos

g2 is the god gun nobody talks about

Just started to use it after i'm on Hemlok vacation for a bit and i absolutely love it. That "thud" sound is so nice. When i started to play i encountered a lot of G2 players (PS4) but over time Devotion / Hemlock took over. Good players still beast with G2.
Most of my BF4 time i ran MK11 MOD DMR with 3.4 or cobra optics loadout so G2 reminds me a bit of that time.

Greddleok

It's not that I try to dash away when I see someone, it's that I dash into them, then they're dead before the dash comes off cool down.

Gator86

Nuke Eject should be moved to a Boost.

There. I said it.

Nuke Eject makes the heavy titans practically unusable. It's everywhere. I didn't think anything of it when I was playing Ronin constantly, but now I've been trying out Scorch again, it's so frustrating. I really understand why people hate it now.

I've ranted about this before, but fuck nuke eject. It doesn't feel like Respawn remembered the ogre Titans are in the game when they balanced it. I haven't taken a single point of nuke damage on an atlas or lighter titan in this calendar year, but nuke damage is sometimes unavoidable with ogres if you've burned your dash for any other gameplay function. Add in the map design (death hallways), reapers, and all the little hindrances and you have a real annoying thing. I find most of my gameplay and positioning when I'm playing an ogre is built around the (correct) assumption that everyone I run into is running nuke. Given how frequently I use Scorch and Legion, yeah, fuck nuke eject forever.

bigJP

i havent really had a problem with nuke eject and i play scorch. feeling like its much more of an issue, for me at least, in tf1
maybe just have gotten lucky.

Separate balancing for PC and Console (Still no answer given why there isn't)

Dude...

I say again:

...wat.

No; we don't balance off a single platform, population or no. That's a pretty big assumption to hang off of "well someone on the team didn't say they're NOT doing that". If something was such a huge problem we'd split the change between platforms. That's almost (always?) never the answer though.

You keep insisting we balance for PC, despite being told directly otherwise. I swear we ta-

I LIKE YOU AND YOU ARE PRETTY.
(thank you)

Donos

Don't think Nuclear eject is a problem (even without a dash). Sometimes you get stuck somewhere avoiding it but well.

Only thing is that almost everyone uses it so it seems that it's a way more viable option then the others, although i really like the stealth auto ejection but NE gives me a random pilot/titan kill from time to time.

Man, i have serious 24/7 Angel city withdrawal -_-

Alx

Only thing is that almost everyone uses it so it seems that it's a way more viable option then the others, although i really like the stealth auto ejection but NE gives me a random pilot/titan kill from time to time.

Yeah it's not so much that NE is a must-have, rather than the other options aren't as interesting. The one that pre-loads the core is good too, but mostly for Legion or Tone, which I never use. For Scorch the additional dash is necessary, and for Ronin nuclear eject is too useful. For Northstar, it's more of a "eh, why not" option, since it doesn't really need an additional dash, and its core attack is suicidal.

Arrrammis

It's crazy how hard Skirmish can snowball once one team gets all of their titans, especially if the other team doesn't coordinate their titan drops. Had a few matches last night where the game ended 75 - <30 because they kept dropping one titan at a time, and at least three of my team's titans would surround the enemy titan in its bubble with cores all ready to go. There's not much that can or should be changed, it's just an interesting player problem.

Rayme

That's not what i was commenting on. Since the Volt incident you're noticing more people ask why the game ISN'T balanced separately across PC and console.

There has yet to be an explanation on why.

In the quote that McQ posted, that you are responding to, there's this from December:

If something was such a huge problem we'd split the change between platforms. That's almost (always?) never the answer though.

Gator86

Yeah it's not so much that NE is a must-have, rather than the other options aren't as interesting. The one that pre-loads the core is good too, but mostly for Legion or Tone, which I never use. For Scorch the additional dash is necessary, and for Ronin nuclear eject is too useful. For Northstar, it's more of a "eh, why not" option, since it doesn't really need an additional dash, and its core attack is suicidal.

Agreed. The problem is that all of the options are laughably meh (unless you're running an ogre and are forced to use dash) so people have no reason to use anything else. It's just a free, random kill as opposed to useless dreck.

That's not what i was commenting on. Since the Volt incident you're noticing more people ask why the game ISN'T balanced separately across PC and console.

There has yet to be an explanation on why.

They've been pretty clear - they don't see the versions as sufficiently different to require separate balancing. You can disagree, but it's disingenuous to pretend they haven't addressed it. Answers you dislike are not analogous to not answering.

Cels

They've been pretty clear - they don't see the versions as sufficiently different to require separate balancing. You can disagree, but it's disingenuous to pretend they haven't addressed it. Answers you dislike are not analogous to not answering.

exactly, there's a difference between respawn refusing to address console vs pc balance separately at all and disagreeing whether there's the need to do so at this time

they said they'll do it if they need to. so far they haven't felt the need to do so.

I'm just glad that a single Nuke Eject kill on an enemy Titan won't give you a free Titan anymore.

Bothered me something like Ronin can take advantage by bumrushing someone, then get a free titan for spamming dash. Rinse and repeat.

Still confuses me when Scorch and Legion use Nuke Eject.

Top Bottom