• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Does the Gravity Star hit, GAF?

cxtaEkL.jpg

Yes it does! :D

bIczv4N.gif

I usually back out of Live Fire because, well, its terrible but I could hear Rayme's voice and he said "Stick around and I promise LTS' timer and rounds to win will revert back to the way they were in TF1"

So I did it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhkEWo7CK2M

Forgot to mention that I love Glitch. Most long sight lines are broken so people are moving much more :D More engagements are close to mid range. Make more like Glitch, Respawn

Also also
Please don't remove the wall running speed reload. Use it as an incentive to keep people moving :D

SMZC

I dont think it is. I was playing Attrition and Bounty Hunt yesterday too and never saw it. I guess they're keeping it isolated in its special playlist for now. It will probably join the others once that playlist gets rotated out. Avoiding the glitch playlist for the same reason.

Thanks, I thought I was just being very unlucky. I don't really understand Respawn's decision on this one, hopefully it's just a mistake and Glitch joins the standard rotation soon.

Afa

Is it just me, or is Ronin not that good in Glitch?
I feel like the many tight corridors makes it hard to flank and melee around enemy titans.
Interesting handicap.

ty_hot

Im enjoying the campaign, except that it handles badly checkpoints/autosave. I played yesterday and had to turn off the console. When I played today again, had to replay at least 10 minutes to get where I was before... Does it only save when there is a new "loading"?

Izuna

Banned
Im enjoying the campaign, except that it handles badly checkpoints/autosave. I played yesterday and had to turn off the console. When I played today again, had to replay at least 10 minutes to get where I was before... Does it only save when there is a new "loading"?

The checkpoints are super weird if you're reloading, yeah

@Izuna We should play some TF1 on XBO at some point in the near future.
@OdysseusVA LTS is growing on me.

Respawn needs to decide what this game is going to about because it's bullshit that console players have to play this game like a faster paced COD while PC gets to fly around like Unreal Tournament mixed with Tribes.
Can you elaborate on what this means?

Arrrammis

Can you elaborate on what this means?

IMO, Aim assist levels are crazy sometimes on Console. If they aim near you, it doesn't matter how fast you're moving, the console aim will pull the enemy's crosshair directly on to you. On PC, you have no aim assist, you have to rely on skill to hit fast moving targets (unless your're using a controller), but on console sitting back with a G2 picking off the players flying around is way too easy.

Dez_

I am interested in giving Titan Brawl a try. If there's one thing I've noticed about the latest update, it's that I spend way too much time on Attrition and Bounty Hunt. Playing on Glitch with all the different modes, I've had a lot of matches where I play pretty badly. I suck at LTS, CTS and Hardpoint.

Its the best mode :D
eh not sure about that, though it's better than amped hardpoint and live fire. Not enough movement opportunities for me.
IIm excited for Titan Brawl
Me too. The batteries are annoying.
IMO, Aim assist levels are crazy sometimes on Console. If they aim near you, it doesn't matter how fast you're moving, the console aim will pull the enemy's crosshair directly on to you. On PC, you have no aim assist, you have to rely on skill to hit fast moving targets (unless your're using a controller), but on console sitting back with a G2 picking off the players flying around is way too easy.
I use a controller on PC and fly around like crazy so I guess I thought it was more of a difference between versions and not just people being bad at the game.. The A-wall/G2 campers are still an issue even on PC. Aim assist is not some kind of magic aimbot.

The lack of movement on consoles doesn't surprise me though. I helped work on an unannounced game a few years back that has movement similar to Titanfall and one thing that they noticed early on is that people with console backgrounds don't get their feet off the ground for some reason (can't share the conclusions at this point in time). Occasionally they'll jump or wallrun but few carry it on and chain their movements. This was based on small-scale focus-testing but also from a variety of YouTube footage of Titanfall 1 and Mirror's Edge.
I am interested in giving Titan Brawl a try. If there's one thing I've noticed about the latest update, it's that I spend way too much time on Attrition and Bounty Hunt. Playing on Glitch with all the different modes, I've had a lot of matches where I play pretty badly. I suck at LTS, CTS and Hardpoint.
I've seen a lot of CTF hate on PC lately. It's very surprising as I think it's the best mode in the game when people aren't camping flag spots.

Rayme

As helpful as aimassist is, it's not _that_ helpful. It does not make a bad player good or find targets for you (well; in Campaign maybe...).

It's main purpose is to compensate for how utterly terrible analog sticks are for FPS twitch aiming. There are things that analog sticks physically cannot do that are "free" with mouse controls. Etc.

As helpful as aimassist is, it's not _that_ helpful. It does not make a bad player good or find targets for you (well; in Campaign maybe...).

It's main purpose is to compensate for how utterly terrible analog sticks are for FPS twitch aiming. There are things that analog sticks physically cannot do that are "free" with mouse controls. Etc.
+1

+2

I was so happy that this game had it on PC, it's always disappointing to find PC games have controller support then leave it out. It seems like that's getting better overall though, since even BF1 finally added it for a DICE game on PC.

SwolBro

Banned

+2

I was so happy that this game had it on PC, it's always disappointing to find PC games have controller support then leave it out. It seems like that's getting better overall though, since even BF1 finally added it for a DICE game on PC.

You know we had this long discussion on here about aim-assist. I think most of us understand why it's there and no one is arguing for it's removal.

But whatever was done to this game be it

• more aim assist
  • more snap on ADS
  • bigger hitboxes
  • larger projectiles

whatever, it doesn't matter exactly what it is, what matters is that you cannot outgun people in the console version of this game. It's who-sees-who first. That's it. Sure, mobility will help you get across the map faster, it will help you stay above opponents but none of that matters against the bare minimum of competent players that can somewhat aim on their own.

It doesn't help the fact that your health regens slower, you can't strafe as well, and things like STIM (and this fucking makes me rage) does not immediately boost your health when you pop it. An entire competitive meta was ripped from the game.

Think further about this horrible design decision for a second:

Respawn takes away the stim health benefit for whatever mind boggling reason but then adds a tactical that's essentially a momentary get out of death free card. WTF. WHY?

They threw 0 fucks to the wind when it came to giving skilled players tools to play at a high level this time. And that's crazy, especially in this day and age when a hardcore community does matter.

Izuna

Banned

Aim assist is helpful enough (with the large hitboxes) that controller with AA can do many things M+KB can't.

Rayme

[...]

It doesn't help the fact that your health regens slower, you can't strafe as well, and things like STIM (and this fucking makes me rage) does not immediately boost your health when you pop it. An entire competitive meta was ripped from the game.

Think further about this horrible design decision for a second:

Respawn takes away the stim health benefit for whatever mind boggling reason but then adds a tactical that's essentially a momentary get out of death free card. WTF. WHY?

They threw 0 fucks to the wind when it came to giving skilled players tools to play at a high level this time. And that's crazy, especially in this day and age when a hardcore community does matter.

Stim in Titanfall1 gave speed boost, immediate healing, accelerated healing, and 25% damage protection. So. It was _pretty_ good. Stim in Titanfall2 now gives a speed boost and still accelerates healing. It's not exactly a joke or not powerful or inflexible or uninteresting. But sometimes mommies and daddies need to balance and iterate on abilities and that's okay. You act like every design point of Titanfall1 was perfect for high-level play, and any deviation a transgression.

(Not that Titanfall2 is perfect in every way or every decision locked in stone. Things evolve, iteration is key, etc. But your read of the situation, and assumption of fucks thrown to winds, can get really hyperbolic.)

Aim assist is helpful enough (with the large hitboxes) that controller with AA can do many things M+KB can't.

Like what?

Izuna

Banned
Like what?

This article says it better than I could

https://dotesports.com/general/titanfall-exertus-free-refills-pc-console-530

But some shots with weapons like Hemlok or G2 allow for some disgusting pot shots that would otherwise require a highly skill/consistent m+kb player

The consistency that the controller gets is why the console version of the game is so centered around these ARs. Also, when people use the AA on PC, people can call out a BS shot because it's done with controller a lot.

When I played on PC, at least, I got several hate messages for it.

Seriously though, how did Live Fire get added to Private Match before Coliseum. You realize that sometimes friends just want to "1v1 me m8"?

And why the hell does it START an LTS game at 3v5? I mean I get it if people disconnect after the game starts but... a whole match like that? At no point did we have other players on our team.

SwolBro

Banned
Stim in Titanfall1 gave speed boost, immediate healing, accelerated healing, and 25% damage protection. So. It was _pretty_ good. Stim in Titanfall2 now gives a speed boost and still accelerates healing. It's not exactly a joke or not powerful or inflexible or uninteresting. But sometimes mommies and daddies need to balance and iterate on abilities and that's okay.

Why are you being disingenuous? You have to know that the health acceleration is pointless now. It has practically no value and does not function even remotely close to what stim used to function like.

And why was the original stim a bad thing? You created a pretty functional and outstanding high level meta that allowed people to turn and fight despite being seen first. It allowed people to have the confidence of knowing they could move without the fear of being ripped apart all the time. Fuck, until i discovered stim i was regretting my purchase (the reason i bought xbox one) for a solid week or two because i thought "oh great another COD game where you die without even having a gunfight"

The new Stim is the most penalized tactical. You leave bigger visible trails, you can't negate arc nades, you don't vanish from thin air, it doesn't speed you in a way that you can dodge bullets. Nothing. It's simply a cool mechanic to get you from one spot to the next incredibly fast. It's fun though, i'll give you that.

But you guys didn't balance stim, you reduced it's value by a lot and in favor of what really? Phase shift?

You act like every design point of Titanfall1 was perfect for high-level play, and any deviation a transgression.

Since you brought it up i'll have to ask. What changes, in your opinion, were made to the benefit of more skilful/complex combat? (on console)

Stim in Titanfall1 gave speed boost, immediate healing, accelerated healing, and 25% damage protection. So. It was _pretty_ good. Stim in Titanfall2 now gives a speed boost and still accelerates healing. It's not exactly a joke or not powerful or inflexible or uninteresting. But sometimes mommies and daddies need to balance and iterate on abilities and that's okay. You act like every design point of Titanfall1 was perfect for high-level play, and any deviation a transgression.

(Not that Titanfall2 is perfect in every way or every decision locked in stone. Things evolve, iteration is key, etc. But your read of the situation, and assumption of fucks thrown to winds, can get really hyperbolic.)

Like what?
The precision of kbm also results in a much higher margin of error that simply doesn't exist when using controller. One of the reasons getting killed by controller users on PC is consistently frustrating is because any controller player is able to land shots with a consistency that 90% of kbm players will not. The aim assist is literally overwhelming, because of the tracking strength and instantaneous response. The point has been illustrated repeatedly: https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5yuyl9/comment/deudyz6
I really hope you guys take a second look at aim assist in mp.

While I'm at it, here's my list of things that drive me frothing mad still:
* Auto mantling - Never ever feels good and ruins the flow of movement.
* Invisible walls mid map - If you want players to stay out, make it a real wall. There is nothing more frustrating then the game contradicting information communicated to the player.
* Aim assist - As covered above.
* Smart pistol - Why wait for full target lock when you can get a faster kill by spamming the trigger since single locks are instantaneous? The opposition has no chance to respond this way, and so it remains completely unfun.
* Arc grenades - Take the most op ordinance from TF1 and somehow make it even more awful by not only freezing player movement, but aim as well while still doing a ton of damage with a large aoe. The biggest offender here is how movement / aiming are affected. It again is just an awful experience that actively trivializes engagements.

No Titanfall 1 wasn't perfect, but some aspects of Titanfall 2 are a regression not only in terms of competitive play, but casual play as well.

SwolBro

Banned
The precision of kbm also results in a much higher margin of error that simply doesn't exist when using controller. One of the reasons getting killed by controller users on PC is consistently frustrating is because any controller player is able to land shots with a consistency that 90% of kbm players will not. The aim assist is literally overwhelming, because of the tracking strength and instantaneous response. The point has been illustrated repeatedly: https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5yuyl9/comment/deudyz6
I really hope you guys take a second look at aim assist in mp.

While I'm at it, here's my list of things that drive me frothing mad still:
* Auto mantling - Never ever feels good and ruins the flow of movement.
* Invisible walls mid map - If you want players to stay out, make it a real wall. There is nothing more frustrating then the game contradicting information communicated to the player.
* Aim assist - As covered above.

I feel that aim-assist and all these things would be perfectly fine IF they did something else to combat that. Like, if weapons weren't so strong, or if stim functioned the way it used to along with strafing, and faster health regen.

But they fucking piled on hard in one particular way that makes everything seem like they shat all over the skillful aspects of the first game. Too many changes to the casual COD direction and not enough preservation of what made Titanfall 1 loved by people that tended not to enjoy COD.

Auto-mantling is annoying and i know PC guys have been begging for a change. I saw someone post on reddit that they should increase the speed in which you mantle and jump up, i think that would be a great work around.

Izuna

Banned
Pretty sure Swol ate a ban for the whitewashing thread and not this one.

To chime in...

I think Titanfall 1 and 2 are hybrids of different genres. Whatever Quake comparison there was in the original is gone in the sequel because honestly, it hardly feels like a fair skill based game.

Despite my Win% being much higher in Titanfall 2 (which suggests that the average players benefitted more from the flatter skill curve, not the casuals), I feel like I am in less control of many of my deaths.

When my holiday finishes I get to try out this game on a 144hz monitor on PC so I wonder if that'll be a reason to play regularly again. Meanwhile I'm waiting for MfD impressions

Man I absolutely hate this week's 2X daily game mode, between the map being so big and assholes on teams every daily game I play so far has been miserable. Today it was just the other team 3 capping my terrible team (no big deal normally, game ends a minute later and I have 10 XP levels for 5 mins of play) and then just camping with our flag and spawn camping my team for 5 mins. Which of course causes 2-3 people to rage quit and now its 2 v 5, the other team is camping you, and you are just watching the clock tick down...

I'd so much prefer never to see CTF in the weekly 2x rotation, it just seems to bring out bad behavior.

Arrrammis

Man I absolutely hate this week's 2X daily game mode, between the map being so big and assholes on teams every daily game I play so far has been miserable. Today it was just the other team 3 capping my terrible team (no big deal normally, game ends a minute later and I have 10 XP levels for 5 mins of play) and then just camping with our flag and spawn camping my team for 5 mins. Which of course causes 2-3 people to rage quit and now its 2 v 5, the other team is camping you, and you are just watching the clock tick down...

I'd so much prefer never to see CTF in the weekly 2x rotation, it just seems to bring out bad behavior.

Right now you get 2X exp for all game modes, don't feel like you have to be playing the featured one

Arrrammis

So uh, I downloaded the update, and now when I try to go into MP it says my profile is not permitted to play online.

Hmm, I get that a lot on PS4 when I first boot up the game, but it goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. I think it has something to do with the game connecting to data centers before it lets you launch multiplayer.

Hmm, I get that a lot on PS4 when I first boot up the game, but it goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. I think it has something to do with the game connecting to data centers before it lets you launch multiplayer.

Finally got it to work after cycling my modem and router and then deleting my Xboxlive account and then adding it again.

A bit saddened by the fact that all the merits I earned between this update and getting g10 have disappeared into the vacuum.

But glitch is a goddamn revelation. All the launch maps should have been this quality.

JaMarco

The fucking arc grenade is still overpowered. It's hit radius is way to large for the strong effect it does. If it's thrown anywhere in your general area, you're done. That's why everyone spams that bullshit.

Top Bottom