• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian (TR II fan remake on UE4)

Gradon

Square should take this on and get it set up as an actual project, I've been wanting a TR2 remake in the style of LAU since Anniversary came out.

Alright, played the demo (though I haven't go the secrets yet - shame on me!).

I have a very good feeling about this: the absence of marked ledges make a world of a difference. Now it is vital to look around very carefully and to inspect the environment in order to understand how to proceed. That had never occurred to me in the original LAU trilogy. Consequently, even though the mechanics are lifted straight from those games, this remake feels much closer to the original titles by Core.

The last puzzle, while conceptually simple, was very cleverly "disguised" (people who have finished the demo will understand me). I think there's no need to mention the visuals, which are breathtaking (as it is Lara's model).

The game ran pretty good on my ancient machine, sporting a FX 8350 and a HD 7870. I was able to run it a 1600x900, everything on high, while mostly maintaining a consistent 30 fps, though there are spots in which the framerate drops to the middle 20s (just a few).

Game of my dreams. Mad respect for the small team working on this, it's way too good. I really want to see what they can do with Venice and Tibet.

Anyone find the third dragon?I found silver and jade ones but don't know if there is a third one. There's this secret spot in the last area but only rewards you with medkits and flares :(

Pachinko

Pretty dang nice looking. Seems tough to get it to run well in 4K but 2560X1600 was a smooth 60. (it undoubtedly lacks a proper SLI profile what with it being a fan release).

Unlike many classic tomb raider fans , I didn't really get into the series much until CD took over the game design and made them easier to play well. So this remake , however long it persists plays better to me. I just wasn't much of a fan of how movement was handled in this series on the PS1, felt too stilted but I also realize it came out pre-analog sticks so they didn't have much choice.

Also reminds me that I still need to go back and finish anniversary and underworld at some point.

Harlequin

Game of my dreams. Mad respect for the small team working on this, it's way too good. I really want to see what they can do with Venice and Tibet.

Anyone find the third dragon?I found silver and jade ones but don't know if there is a third one. There's this secret spot in the last area but only rewards you with medkits and flares :(

AFAIK, the third dragon is hidden in one of the later areas of the level that's not part of the demo.

Pretty dang nice looking. Seems tough to get it to run well in 4K but 2560X1600 was a smooth 60. (it undoubtedly lacks a proper SLI profile what with it being a fan release).

Unlike many classic tomb raider fans , I didn't really get into the series much until CD took over the game design and made them easier to play well. So this remake , however long it persists plays better to me. I just wasn't much of a fan of how movement was handled in this series on the PS1, felt too stilted but I also realize it came out pre-analog sticks so they didn't have much choice.

Also reminds me that I still need to go back and finish anniversary and underworld at some point.

That would make you an LAU fan, not a classic fan. (There's nothing wrong with being an LAU fan, of course, just want to make sure we're on the same page regarding terminology :p.)

I think this might be THE most impressive fan made mod ive ever seen in my life. It could literally be a new, classic styled TR game from CD it looks and plays that good. The lack of auto platforming is amazing. Really makes you think before you go jumping. I would pay money for this, no problem. Its incredible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Not really. Crystal's community manager has already given him the green light. Of course, Square might change their mind at some point down the line but for now, I wouldn't expect any C&Ds. Eidos/Square have generally been pretty accepting of fan projects and fan games (though when it comes to fan games, most have been made using the official level editor based on the old PS1 engine and I don't think any of the handful of projects using more modern engines ever released anything playable up until now).

If you mean the helicopter scene, I'm pretty sure that that's an in-game cutscene.

I highly, highly doubt the community manager has the authority to do what people suggest he/she is able to do, but I'm hopeful. The minute the lawyers see this...

Mithos

I highly, highly doubt the community manager has the authority to do what people suggest he/she is able to do, but I'm hopeful. The minute the lawyers see this...

They are openly talking about it on Square Enix forum, and IF I remember correctly the Community Manager even spoke of this game on some official event where Square Enix attended.

Square Enix KNOWS!!!

It's even published in the 20th Anniversary book that Meagan Marie wrote that this remake has been officially approved of by Enix.

Mman235

For all the ways Eidos suck, to their credit they've pretty much always been supportive of fan works and derivative games.

Well I certainly hope so.

Seems that for now, they are fine with it. But I feel this could change so easily, the moment they greenlight a TR2 remake, this is fucked.

I wish SE would consider putting this throught their Collective initiative, seems a match in heaven to me.

Seems that for now, they are fine with it. But I feel this could change so easily, the moment they greenlight a TR2 remake, this is fucked.

I wish SE would consider putting this throught their Collective initiative, seems a match in heaven to me.

I highly doubt that'll happen. They'd see it as potential competition for the mainline AAA series.

What a fantastic demo! It made me realize I really miss old-school Tomb Raider games. Maybe one day we´ll get the classic Lara back again...

Ricker

Everything works fine but it doesnt see my gamepad,XBox or PS...both work with Steam,maybe when I reboot I guess...I am not playing a game like this with mouse and keyboard lol...

dan2026

If CD had any sense they would get this guy and his small team on board and give him the resources to turn this into a full game.

I'm sure a remake of Tomb Raider 2 would sell like hotcakes.

daninthemix

If CD had any sense they would get this guy and his small team on board and give him the resources to turn this into a full game.

Wrong, I'm afraid. Tomb Raider Anniversary only sold around 1.3 million copies - that's less than even Tomb Raider Chronicles, and the least that any game in the series has sold.

There simply isn't widespread commercial desire for remakes of old Tomb Raiders.

UrbanRats

Wrong, I'm afraid. Tomb Raider Anniversary only sold around 1.3 million copies - that's less than even Tomb Raider Chronicles, and the least that any game in the series has sold.

There simply isn't widespread commercial desire for remakes of old Tomb Raiders.

It also wouldn't cost much, though.

RagnarokX

You're assuming Anniversary sold poorly because it was a remake of Tomb Raider 1 and not because:
CD's previous game was meh.
The game was poorly marketed.
Most previews of the game focused on QTEs and crap that nobody wanted and how they ruined the T-Rex.
Any number of confounding variables.

Also Anniversary was still a CD game through and through, while this game appears to have some faith that gamers can figure out where to jump without signposts everywhere.

Egida

Neo Member
Looks stunning. I have to wonder, would it be possible for these people to go the Sonic Mania route?

Edit: Oh, Ok.

daninthemix

You're assuming Anniversary sold poorly because it was a remake of Tomb Raider 1 and not because:
CD's previous game was meh.
The game was poorly marketed.
Most previews of the game focused on QTEs and crap that nobody wanted and how they ruined the T-Rex.
Any number of confounding variables.

Also Anniversary was still a CD game through and through, while this game appears to have some faith that gamers can figure out where to jump without signposts everywhere.

Everything you've said is true, but would decision-makers at CD consider all that rather than just glance cursorily at Anniversary's sales before passing on the project?

Dezzy

There are two small things that make it so much better to me that the big AAA guys mess up.

1. Climbable ledges aren't marked or colored, they look natural.
2. Lara does not constantly talk to herself or communicate with anyone else.

Those really help it feel a bit more like Tomb Raider should feel. You actually have to look around and figure out where you could possibly go, rather than just look for incredibly obvious ledges, and with no talking you can really feel like you're out there alone and left to your own devices.

Ricker

Stuck in that room before the long bridge/wall...guessing it a lockpick on the floor I dont see or something...?

Door is locked,bars on all windows...

Harlequin

There are two small things that make it so much better to me that the big AAA guys mess up.

1. Climbable ledges aren't marked or colored, they look natural.
2. Lara does not constantly talk to herself or communicate with anyone else.

Those really help it feel a bit more like Tomb Raider should feel. You actually have to look around and figure out where you could possibly go, rather than just look for incredibly obvious ledges, and with no talking you can really feel like you're out there alone and left to your own devices.

The problem is that there's lots of stuff that looks climbable or grabbable but isn't. In the original games, you never had to wonder whether you could climb sth. If it looked like it was climbable and it was in jumping distance, you could climb on it (and when you failed, it was usually your own fault). Trying to marry Crystal's (terrible) scripted ledge system (and the tedious ledge-hopping mechanics that go along with it) with subtle, non-descript ledges just doesn't work too well.

Stuck in that room before the long bridge/wall...guessing it a lockpick on the floor I dont see or something...?

Door is locked,bars on all windows...

I'm a bit confused, which room are you talking about exactly?

Zombine

Banned
What SE should do is throw some of their staff at this to address some of the minor problems and then release it as a digital download when it's complete.

Ricker

The problem is that there's lots of stuff that looks climbable or grabbable but isn't. In the original games, you never had to wonder whether you could climb sth. If it looked like it was climbable and it was in jumping distance, you could climb on it (and when you failed, it was usually your own fault). Trying to marry Crystal's (terrible) scripted ledge system (and the tedious ledge-hopping mechanics that go along with it) with subtle, non-descript ledges just doesn't work too well.

I'm a bit confused, which room are you talking about exactly?

Very early,once you get out of that cave,theres a small room in the corner that you go in through the only opening without bars on it but I cant go back out through there,there is one door that doesnt open that leads to the bridge...

Mr_Zombie

Very early,once you get out of that cave,theres a small room in the corner that you go in through the only opening without bars on it but I cant go back out through there,there is one door that doesnt open that leads to the bridge...

Are you talking about the room with broken door opening mechanism? If so, you have to jump around the room on beams and break the non-working part of the mechanism.

Ricker

Are you talking about the room with broken door opening mechanism? If so, you have to jump around the room on beams and break the non-working part of the mechanism.

Nope,even earlier then that...I'll check later to try and give a better description...probably something really obvious that I am missing lol.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

The fact CD gave their blessing is enough proof that they have no interest in remaking the classic TB games.

I really wished they propped up the classic gameplay style instead of the anniversary model but I'll take this over nu-TR. My heart hurts watching it in glorious remake.

4QUNNbLcR_o_320x180.jpg

Tomb Raider 2 (Original) vs Tomb Raider 2 (Remake)

Top Bottom