• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian (TR II fan remake on UE4)

tuxfool

Banned
I read the thread thx mr forum police.

Doesnt change anything.

"Why it might not get taken down" isn't enough of a reason, at the end of the day IP OWNERSHIP is much larger than a community managers opinion. Thanks for weighing in though I guess?

They could have told him to stop long before he released any of this stuff, given that it isn't exactly a secret. Hence why that video doesn't apply, because we are no longer operating on the default position that this is some kind of surprise or that people involved with the IP are unaware of its existence.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I used to love this game back in the PS1 days.

I know this is a very unpopular line of thought, but I would very much like a remake with the old gameplay. I never did very well with these new controls, even though they're supposed to be easier.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if the reason Squeenix is okay with this is that it was anticipating positive fan feedback and intends to wave it through the Squeenix Collective approval process.

choco-fish

Looks fantastic, I can remember the huge hype when TR2 was announced back in the day. It's a shame my PC is woefully underpowered, would love to revisit China. Can't wait to see how Venice and the boating sections will look in the full version.

UrbanRats

I wonder if the reason Squeenix is okay with this is that it was anticipating positive fan feedback and intends to wave it through the Squeenix Collective approval process.
I just have no idea how this guy/girl can work on this with that threat looming over his/her head.
Nothing stops SE from turning around and changing their minds.

MaLDo

I just have no idea how this guy/girl can work on this with that threat looming over his/her head.

Seeing the brutal quality of the "demo" I think this guy intention is to use it as project to get a really good position in the medium and not to finish this game. Because I can't see how this guy can finish the game with that kind of quality. I wish I was wrong.

_Rob_

Just played it for about an hour, super impressive work. I haven't had this much fun with Tomb Raider since Anniversary!

UrbanRats

Seeing the brutal quality of the "demo" I think this guy intention is to use it as project to get a really good position in the medium and not to finish this game. Because I can't see how this guy can finish the game with that kind of quality. I wish I was wrong.

Nicobass has been doing Tomb Raider /Lara Croft fanart for years and years though.
I think his passion for the brand runs deeper.

Anyway, i finished the demo.
Really impressive stuff, and beautiful looking.
It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's a great start.

Also, those spiders are ridiculously over powered.

UrbanRats

To me, they are too nerfed in the original. Spiders should be as deadly as they are in this demo imo.

But they are mechanically annoying.
All the enemies are in this, tbh, because they're silly bullet sponges (10 bullets to bring down a crow? Really?).
Spiders in particular stick on you without anything you can do about it, and even if you mash Y to get them off, another will jump on you no matter what.
Even if you mash X to squash them, you can't squash them fast enough and one will jump on you (starting the chain) and even if you know where and when they're coming from (which is bad form anyway, since it implies trial and error) you can't shoot them fast enough to prevent one of them to jump on you, in those cramped quarters.

There's a reason why combat in (pre-reboot) TR has always been considered bad and an after thought, though, especially in the CD ones.
There's very little skill involved, beside jumping around and auto-aim at these bullet sponges.

I like the platforming for the most part, and i was impressed at how well i could find ledges without the need of bird poop on every flagged one.

Coreda

Tbh I and someone else in the Steam thread were hoping this would be kept on the down low at the time so as to not attract too much attention. We quietly agreed it would be better to not post a thread but I guess someone did and here we are :p

On the other hand what about the other fan game creations from places like tombraiderforums, where this originated? From what I understand most of those projects died just from the authors giving up interest, at least from what I've read.

MaLDo

Nicobass has been doing Tomb Raider /Lara Croft fanart for years and years though.
I think his passion for the brand runs deeper.

Anyway, i finished the demo.
Really impressive stuff, and beautiful looking.
It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's a great start.

Also, those spiders are ridiculously over powered.

I really liked deadly enemies. I love the moment I run away from the tiger going into the water only to see that the tiger not only can walk into the water, can swim too and kill you. Fantastic!!

Mman235

Great demo for a start to a project like this (regardless of me thinking the chances of it being fully finished are unlikely, even ignoring legal stuff). While I'm not a fan of LAU mechanics I can understand using something that's at least known to work for a huge undertaking like this by a tiny team, and I'm impressed how much it feels like a next gen version of those games (albeit with way less handholding), with even the sounds and menus following them closely. Not to mention there's always time to iron out the jankier stuff as time goes on. As a remake it's great and I'm surprised just how much is added (and I haven't even looked for all the secrets yet); in terms of the original areas this covers a bit over half the original level and it's already about twice the length, and it does a good job both expanding on TR2's ideas while adding new stuff that keeps the spirit of it; which is a good sign when the frequent failing to do this is my #1 issue with Anniversary in retrospect.

UrbanRats

BTW i had to uninstall Oculus' software to make this work, or it automatically start Oculus (and send to audio through the Rift's headphones).
I think it's an issue with some Unreal Engine 4 games.

Just a head's up.

Coreda

Dl'd from the download page using wget, since there were some dropouts and it allows me to resume. After unpacking with 7zip had an error about 'TombRaiderDOX-WindowsNoEditor.pak', and launching the main game executable didn't work (nothing happened, no process appeared in the task manager).

Can anyone post hashes of the RAR archive so I can check if my version downloaded correctly?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dl'd from the download page using wget, since there were some dropouts and it allows me to resume. After unpacking with 7zip had an error about 'TombRaiderDOX-WindowsNoEditor.pak', and launching the main game executable didn't work (nothing happened, no process appeared in the task manager).

Can anyone post hashes of the RAR archive so I can check if my version downloaded correctly?

tr2checksumgeszh.jpg

Mr_Zombie

I've just finished it and I love the demo. Except the meh combat, this is how a true next-gen Tomb Raider should look and play like.

I like how on one hand it adapts the LAU gameplay, but at the same time improves it by not being so easy and handholdy. The environment is dense and often it isn't really that obvious what ledge is grapable or where you should go next. It might be frustrating at times (poor Lara, I can't even count how many times she felt to her death), but makes the experience much more enjoyable when you finally progress.

It's amazing the whole thing was done just by a group of 5 people (if I remember correctly the count of the development team from the Credits), and yet feels like proper big current-gen game.

Spiders in particular stick on you without anything you can do about it, and even if you mash Y to get them off, another will jump on you no matter what.

I think you can shake them off by doing the dodge (B); at least that worked for me.

UrbanRats

I think the LAU gameplay translated well, though it feels more janky here (just a polish issue though).
For example if you try to do the classic series of flips and jumps (with the crouch button) Lara only does the one roll, and then starts crouching up and down.
And the combat is lame, but it's always been, in TR games.

But yeah, i'm impressed by the relative clarity of the environment, despite not using the chalk/guano to tell you where to climb.
I was never stuck for more than 10 seconds, when looking for a ledge, which is cool.

Just a couple of puzzle should've been made a tad more clear, i guess, though i liked the main one (with the hanging symbol).

Coreda

Damn it, Mine's different, even though it's the exact same number of bytes, filesize wise. Mine was from the downloads page mirror since I couldn't see any other link but I'm assuming they're the same source file.

Myriadis

Played it up to the riddle with the chandelier thing that drops a shadow and opens a door that seems to lead to a dead end.
So far I really enjoyed it, hard to believe that this is actually a fan project. What impressed me the most is that it really feels like "yes, this place was definitely used before" or "it makes sense that the place looks like that and that the path will lead there". It feels so natural and all the small details in the man-made buildings make it feel truly lived in, more than any game I personally played so far.
Also, I'd so love to jump down that wall to explore the background areas :D

evolve9

This just makes me sad that I don't have a strong enough pc to run it. I always wanted to see TRII get an Anniversary treatment. The wreck of Maria Doria is the location I'm most interested in seeing remade actually, it's such an awe-inspiring place, it would look amazing if done right. I'm kinda skeptical that this project will get to that stage though, but fingers crossed!

Mr_Zombie

Just a couple of puzzle should've been made a tad more clear, i guess, though i liked the main one (with the hanging symbol).

I didn't like the puzzle, because it wasn't really clear what was the goal. I just moved along - "ok, so that ledge is reachable, wonder where it will take me" - without really knowing what am I really trying to accomplish here.
the collapsing column part - it was't really outlined that it can collapse and open the way for the stone block; the only reason I jumped at it was because it was the only jumpable place left, not because I knew it can eventually lead to opening a new way.

One thing I liked about old TR games (at least from what I remember them) was that they always show you the goal; it was always clear where you are heading. You just had to deduce the way to reach it.

GMAK2442

I admit the graphics, menu and all the rest is nice but I don't have time to loose with such a gameplay when I'm used to the much better climbing gameplay of TR2013 and Rise.

KainXVIII

Looks really good! But i have trouble to reach 60 fps at 1080p (i manage that in Gears of War 4 on very high settings) 😀

_Rob_

I didn't like the puzzle, because it wasn't really clear what was the goal. I just moved along - "ok, so that ledge is reachable, wonder where it will take me" - without really knowing what am I really trying to accomplish here.
the collapsing column part - it was't really outlined that it can collapse and open the way for the stone block; the only reason I jumped at it was because it was the only jumpable place left, not because I knew it can eventually lead to opening a new way.

One thing I liked about old TR games (at least from what I remember them) was that they always show you the goal; it was always clear where you are heading. You just had to deduce the way to reach it.

This is actually where I'm stuck currently, I've
lowered the hanging symbol and so have the pushable block
, can anyone clue me in as to what to do next?

UrbanRats

I agree with you on that, but i figured that's down to polishing up the whole thing.
I do appreciate not being told every step of the way what to do, before i even have a chance to look around at the room (I'm looking at you, Nathan Drake!).
So that aspect was nice.

Mr_Zombie

This is actually where I'm stuck currently, I've
lowered the hanging symbol and so have the pushable block
, can anyone clue me in as to what to do next?

You have to lower the symbol and then, using the block, jump on the flag mast in order to reach the corridor on the left (when you stand near the block, facing the symbol). There should be doors to unlock there that will allow you to reach the room with the lever. That way you can rise the symbol, and using the masts reach other places.

I agree with you on that, but i figured that's down to polishing up the whole thing.

Even a little visual cue - a crack in the floor or something - indicating that there's something below the floor would be enough.

I do appreciate not being told every step of the way what to do, before i even have a chance to look around at the room (I'm looking at you, Nathan Drake!).
So that aspect was nice.

I agree with that. Not being hold by hand the entire time and not having all the interactive ledges highlighted was great.

Bioshocker

I'm more of a fan of the new more "realistic" Lara, and I love Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I have to say I am incredibly impressed with this project. Not least the locations.

_Rob_

You have to lower the symbol and then, using the block, jump on the flag mast in order to reach the corridor on the left (when you stand near the block, facing the symbol). There should be doors to unlock there that will allow you to reach the room with the lever. That way you can rise the symbol, and using the masts reach other places.

Ah there we go, much appreciated!

Mr_Zombie

I've just started replaying the original Tomb Raider 2 and I'm surprised how much was changed in the remake, how the level got much bigger. The remake lacks your traditional traps (blades, spiky walls coming from all sides, darts, boulders, rolling blades), but replaces that with more complicated level design and platforming. Plus there's the puzzle with the hanging symbol. And I think I prefer remake's level; it depends less on the "save; oh shit, I died again; load game" loop.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
BTW i had to uninstall Oculus' software to make this work, or it automatically start Oculus (and send to audio through the Rift's headphones).

Just a head's up.

Funny, it launched Steamvr for me.

If it switches sound sources, you can just go into the windows sound control panel and switch it back to your speakers, no need to uninstall Oculus.

Vlaphor

It's an issue with a bunch of Unreal 4 stuff. I have a Vive and the vast majority of Unreal games will do just that, launch any VR stuff (Steam VR and Oculus for me) and route audio to the headphones. I just unplugged my headset from power and that seems to keep it from happening.

daninthemix

I've just started replaying the original Tomb Raider 2 and I'm surprised how much was changed in the remake, how the level got much bigger. The remake lacks your traditional traps (blades, spiky walls coming from all sides, darts, boulders, rolling blades), but replaces that with more complicated level design and platforming. Plus there's the puzzle with the hanging symbol. And I think I prefer remake's level; it depends less on the "save; oh shit, I died again; load game" loop.

For some reason they started TR2 with a real baptism by fire gauntlet of traps. The game then chills out for a few levels, before ramping up to even greater extremes by the Temple of Xian.

I had more fun playing the demo that any of the recent Tomb Raider games. I really feel bad for playing it because I know it will never be finished :-(. Even by some miracle he does finish the game, Square Enix will do everything in their power to stop it.

Looks really good! But i have trouble to reach 60 fps at 1080p (i manage that in Gears of War 4 on very high settings) 😀

Same here with a GTX 1060. The game needs some optimization, but considering it was a one person project I will forgive the performance.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is good but no idea how this won't get C&D'd. Uses a ton of assets / rigging from Anniversary.

Who did the opening CG? It's excellent.

Harlequin

I had more fun playing the demo that any of the recent Tomb Raider games. I really feel bad for playing it because I know it will never be finished :-(. Even by some miracle he does finish the game, Square Enix will do everything in their power to stop it.

This is good but no idea how this won't get C&D'd. Uses a ton of assets / rigging from Anniversary.

Who did the opening CG? It's excellent.

Not really. Crystal's community manager has already given him the green light. Of course, Square might change their mind at some point down the line but for now, I wouldn't expect any C&Ds. Eidos/Square have generally been pretty accepting of fan projects and fan games (though when it comes to fan games, most have been made using the official level editor based on the old PS1 engine and I don't think any of the handful of projects using more modern engines ever released anything playable up until now).

If you mean the helicopter scene, I'm pretty sure that that's an in-game cutscene.

UrbanRats

Funny, it launched Steamvr for me.

If it switches sound sources, you can just go into the windows sound control panel and switch it back to your speakers, no need to uninstall Oculus.

It's an issue with a bunch of Unreal 4 stuff. I have a Vive and the vast majority of Unreal games will do just that, launch any VR stuff (Steam VR and Oculus for me) and route audio to the headphones. I just unplugged my headset from power and that seems to keep it from happening.
Tried both of those before uninstalling, but would still launch the Oculus software. *shrug*

I had to move my space around and recalibrate anyway.

Top Bottom