• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian (TR II fan remake on UE4)

Sephimoth

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later.

Shredderi

Wow how can this look so good for something made by one person? Very nice job. It doesn't even have that "U4 remake without art direction" look.

Harlequin

The graphics are amazing but there's lots of annoying trial and error gameplay. Stuff that looks like a ledge but isn't a ledge and the only way you can figure it out is jump at it and hope you don't fall to your death, that sort of thing. And as has been pointed out previously, it's very much in line with the LAU gameplay so if you're strictly a fan of the classics and didn't like Legend/Anniversary/Underworld, this probably won't be for you.

Inno

Finished the demo and this was much better than I expected. I had more fun playing this demo than any of the nuRaiders. Yes there are some annoying things like some animations are off and some jumps are hard to measure. But as a work in progress I thought this was amazing!

It looked great too and there were some absolutely gorgeous views. I missed swandiving into lakes with Lara so much!

Vlaphor

Can't download this till I get off work in a couple of hours...but I will definitely be downloading this right away.

36756787226_7e6173e0e9_z.jpg

Now that, is a proper Lara Croft.

Wanderer5

Damn, that was quite a joy to go through. Quite a looker, and the atmosphere was top notch. I didn't have that much issue with trial and error, but there are a few spots that I could see being kind of annoying. I really did like figuring out that last room through.

Also the background for the main menu is pretty nice looking.

This 1 hour demo is better, more fun and true to Lara Croft than any amount of time I spent with both reboot games. If there was ever a new TR game, this is what it should have been. Everything I love in TR games packed into one. :)

Harlequin

Oh wow, this is real tomb raider?

not Uncharted : Lara Edition? Neato

Depends on your definition of "real Tomb Raider". If Legend, Anniversary and Underworld were "real Tomb Raider" games to you, then yes. If you mean whether this is true to the original Tomb Raider formula and mechanics from the classics, then no.

Btw has anybody managed to get any rewards or unlock Croft Manor? Or are they just placeholder?

Croft Manor isn't available in the demo.

MaLDo

Ok, I just get the jade dragon. This game is so good. I mean, you die, there are no obvious marks in the edges you can grab... is really good.

Demo is way too dark and needs a flashlight, not just the damn flares. Something so integral to basic navigation shouldn't be a finite resource.

Harlequin

Demo is way too dark and needs a flashlight, not just the damn flares. Something so integral to basic navigation shouldn't be a finite resource.

Huh, I left the brightness on default and never even needed to use a single flare. Your screen must be really dark (or mine really bright).

After playing the game some more and finding the secrets, it seems there are no rewards to unlock. Not even the dragon collection is updated. Dang, what a shame.

Erebus

Holy shit, I just played it. It's way longer than I expected, it looks stunning and oozes atmosphere! Seriously, if I didn't know this was a fan project I would have never guessed.
Watching the opening cinematic and then gaining control of Lara sent chills down to my spine as it's reminiscent of the TR2 opening. The rest of the level has quite a few differences to the original game though. The controls are closer to the TR LAU trilogy than the original game, of course.

Some gameplay quirks aside, I'm very impressed with what I saw and how polished the experience is. It's both refreshing and sad to see a fan-based project be more accurate to what the original TR games used to be.

Big Nikus

Legend/Anniversary/Underworld are some of my favorite games ever and I didn't expect to love them so much when they were released. I'm so happy this fan remake is a thing. I hope he can finish it.

RedFox85

Guy has permission from Crystal Dynamics to do this. You could read the thread you know?

I read the thread thx mr forum police.

Doesnt change anything.

"Why it might not get taken down" isn't enough of a reason, at the end of the day IP OWNERSHIP is much larger than a community managers opinion. Thanks for weighing in though I guess?

Top Bottom