• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Dude the Kurtas are smurfs, they're not a battle tribe.

I mean we havent heard much about them yet other than they died, so pardon me
They were pretty peaceful, but they weren't smurfs. They put up a fight against the Spiders, that's not something pacifists would achieve.

Not to mention, Kurta eyes must've been a collectors item long before the Troupe got there.

I mean we havent heard much about them yet other than they died, so pardon me
I don't specifically think the anime even delves too heavily into what the Kurta's really are, it's detailed more in Kurapika's back story chapters. I know I read the one that details the test that Kurapika took to be allowed out of his village, but I can never remember which is the chapter that goes into the village massacre, this is CNTR's cue to tell me which one it is...it's probably long as fuck though.
They were pretty peaceful, but they weren't smurfs. They put up a fight against the Spiders, that's not something pacifists would achieve.

Not to mention, Kurta eyes must've been a collectors item long before the Troupe got there.
I call them smurfs just to keep it simple...and comedic.

cntr

Banned
Aren't those side chapters?

Worth a read if you can find them, by the way, they don't have any spoilers if you're caught up.

Seda

Did they explain yet that he has different chains and only some of the chains are for spiders because i remember he explained to gon an crew and think it's a spoiler

(yes I read the spoiler)

That is one thing I was actually wondering about. Like:

Can Kurapika use his healing effect when NOT fighting a spider? Or in other words, does that count as Chain Jail or not? Is Chain Jail /just/ the act of imprisoning people with the chains, or any effect that uses the chains?

I caught up but I haven't read the chapters after that specific fight, I just stopped caring cause Togashi writes way more than he draws in the manga.

caliph95

(yes I read the spoiler)

Can Kurapika use his healing effect when NOT fighting a spider? Or in other words, does that count as Chain Jail or not?
I think the healing thing is a general ability with red eyes it's separate from chain jail

cntr

Banned
The condition only applies to Chain Jail. Holy Chain isn't restricted, but it's not very good without Emperor Time.

(no it's not a spoiler because they've mentioned it by this point and it's pretty easy to infer)

Raxus

(yes I read the spoiler)

Can Kurapika use his healing effect when NOT fighting a spider? Or in other words, does that count as Chain Jail or not? Is Chain Jail /just/ the act of imprisoning people with the chains, or any effect that uses the chains?

I forget if he talked about it just yet but I believe he mentions Chain Jail and Judgement Chain can only be used against spiders. If he can use the healing chain at all it would likely be a very weak heal outside of Emperor Time because he can't utilize it 100% and I assume it is an enhancer ability.

Seda

I forget if he talked about it just yet but I believe he mentions Chain Jail and Judgement Chain can only be used against spiders. If he can use the healing chain at all it would likely be a very weak heal outside of Emperor Time because he can't utilize it 100% and I assume it is an enhancer ability.

makes sense, so even if it's not bound by contract, it's only really useful against spiders anyway (because of red eyes state)

caliph95

The condition only applies to Chain Jail. Holy Chain isn't restricted, but it's not very good without Emperor Time.

(no it's not a spoiler because they've mentioned it by this point and it's pretty easy to infer)
Ok just want to be sure but yeah the spiders thing as a we know is only chain jail

Also i'm sure Judgement Chain is different and can be used on anyone.
Gon asked one to be placed on him in case they got caught

giphy.gif

makes sense, so even if it's not bound by contract, it's only really useful against spiders anyway (because of red eyes state)
Kurapika's hot headed as fuck. It's not too hard for him to enter the red eye state, it's not purely an against the spiders only thing.

The problem with Kurapika is that he cheated his way to power. Compare it to how Gon and Killua, who after their baptism are slowly learning and practicing their fundamentals.

Kurapika dove into the deep end and learned to keep his head above water, G&K are still learning how to swim in the shallows.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The problem with Kurapika is that he cheated his way to power. Compare it to how Gon and Killua, who after their baptism are slowly learning and practicing their fundamentals.

Kurapika dove into the deep end and learned to keep his head above water, G&K are still learning how to swim in the shallows.

The thing is using conditions isn't really a cheat though. Half of the guys working with Kurapika use them in their nen abilities. The mind control lady's kiss power is conditional, as is the haiku guy's power. A bunch of the spiders also have conditional abilities, the vacuum cleaner for example. Gon and Killua haven't even learned about this yet, no one's explained Nen to them beyond the absolute basic form. The only member of the cast right now that knows less about Nen than those two is Leorio.

caliph95

A condition allows you to get a good abilitys people just don't usually do that because you need limitations and people don't want to risk it

I wouldn't call it a cheat since Kurapika hobbled himself in the process. Kurapika chased short term gains, meanwhile Gon and Killua are getting the long term gains. If some random non Spider henchman rolls up on Kurapika then he pretty much just has to ask Gon or Killua to beat the snot out of them. Kurapika would've been useless in the arcs after this any way.

The thing is using conditions isn't really a cheat though. Half of the guys working with Kurapika use them in their nen abilities. The mind control lady's kiss power is conditional, as is the haiku guy's power. A bunch of the spiders also have conditional abilities, the vacuum cleaner for example. Gon and Killua haven't even learned about this yet, no one's explained nen to them beyond the absolute basic form.

Cheat may have been a strong word, shortcut might be better? Nevertheless, Kurapika ran headfirst into making a condition the second he heard about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A condition allows you to get a good abilitys people just don't usually do that because you need limitations and people don't want to risk it

Also, not every Nen type needs a conditional boost. Conjurers tend to use them because of how limited their powers would be otherwise. Without that boost all Kurapika could do is make the absolute best chains a person could physically make, but they'd still just be chains.

Cheat may have been a strong word, shortcut might be better? Nevertheless, Kurapika ran headfirst into making a condition the second he heard about it.

Like I said, it's fairly common with his type of Nen. He'd be severely limited if he didn't, even more so than he is now.

He could have made a less stringent condition, but he wouldn't have gotten as much power out of it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Think of HxH as a JRPG with an exhaustive skill system with a point buy. Like the older Elder Scrolls games in particular.

Crap Puka took a bunch of flaws in order to double his points in spider related activities. He'll die if he uses these broken ass powers against a non spider.

This is fine by him as he literally only cares about killing spiders and getting eyes back.

If it was a party based system you'd build Crap Puka in order to clear this one section and then ditch him...

cntr

Banned
Nen is super RPG-like. Like that "nen points" thing I mentioned last page? That wasn't something I made up, they exist as a part of nen, though they're called "spirit points".

(they have also been mentioned by this point)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like, Kurapika's powers are awesome in a team context. Normally he's just got chain attacks and dousing, which is kinda meh but has really good utility as we saw early on in the arc. But when the Spiders show up he turns into your best character by far.

He's basically that guy you build to take care of business early on while you level everyone else then relegate to a support role once the rest of your team is leveled. Like the advanced unit you always get in the first few Fire Emblem chapters.

BBboy20

Heart of the Sunrise

Manga difference:
  • 3 overall scenes are missing.
  • A lot of Part 3 quotes are missing though I suppose Viz is saving them for Part 3 itself.
  • Volgano is Italian but it does not mean "volcano".
  • The Nazi seaplane never approached the ancient ruins of Piz Berlina; guess David Productions wanted to reduce viewership confusion.
  • Pillar Men origins were revealed after Joseph's hand lopping.

Factoids:

Episode titles of origin:
  1. New York's JoJo - Ch 45. New York's JoJo
  2. The Game Master - Ch 49. The Game Master
  3. The Pillar Man - Vol 6, Ch 53. The Pillar Man
  4. JoJo vs. the Ultimate Life-Form - Ch 057. JoJo vs. the Ultimate Life-Form
  5. Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times - Vol 7-8, Ch 065-69. Ultimate Warriors from Ancient Times
  6. A Hero's Proof - Ch 69. Qualification of a Hero
  7. Lisa Lisa, Ripple Coach - Vol 8, Ch 71-76: Ripple Teacher Lisa Lisa
  8. The Deeper Plan - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  9. Von Stroheim's Revenge - Vol 9, Ch 83-85. Stroheim's Unit Strikes Back
  10. A Race Toward the Brink - Ch 86. Rushing Towards the Cliff of Death
  11. Caesar: A Lonely Youth - Vol 10, Ch 88-93. Caesar: A Lonely Youth
  12. A Hundred Against Two - Ch 95. The Hundred vs. Two Strategy
  13. A True Warrior - Ch 101. A True Warrior
  14. The Warrior of Wind - Vol 11/Ch 104. The Warrior Returns to the Wind
  15. The Ties That Bind JoJo - Vol 11, Ch 105-106. The Bond That Binds Lisa Lisa and JoJo
  16. The Birth of a Superbeing - Ch 109. The Birth of the Ultimate Being!!
  17. The Ascendant One - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Podcast response:
*Dust.

So: Mankind was lucky?

Lisa Lisa is voiced by American actress Wendee Lee.

The drop should have been at the Roundabout.

Still just a bit puzzled as to why these Leorio scenes were changed in the 2011 anime:

hunter05_105.jpg

^Just before he manages to open 2 stacked gates on his own (hmm maybe they wanted to have it so they would make it over to Killua even sooner?), and...

leorio_breaks_a_mafioso_s_arm_by_yellowflash1234-d9yww47.jpg

^Arm wrestling with that big, buff guy - breaking the dude's arm in the process (well, maybe that could be why)

caliph95

Still just a bit puzzled as to why these Leorio scenes were changed in the 2011 anime:

hunter05_105.jpg

^Just before he manages to open 2 stacked gates on his own (hmm maybe they wanted to have it so they would make it over to Killua even sooner?), and...

leorio_breaks_a_mafioso_s_arm_by_yellowflash1234-d9yww47.jpg

^Arm wrestling with that big, buff guy - breaking the dude's arm in the process (well, maybe that could be why)
Maybe for time or they thought it's funny that way.
I don't now why in the manga he was physically the strongest in the group besides Killua who was trained since birth or as kid. Yet in the anime they downplay him. He still has his uses though

I'm convinced the only way we'll get a proper Berserk adaptation is through HBO.
Even they would have to tone it down if it's live action. I'd be perfectly fine if they threw their money at an animated version though.
I would as well. Then again, I would wonder "what the hell I'm doing here in the first place?"
But that's just me.
"Fuck this shit I'll just let the Saiyans deal with this."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom