• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MMdJDjU.gif

I need a new avatar to last me through E3.

1. Must be properly formatted.
2. Must not get me banned.
3. Best submission by 10pm tonight wins.

Steven Universe is also 15 minutes long and I find that even though there is technically an overarching storyline, Sugar is afraid to make any true significant changes. Eventually everything returns to the status quo. I remember seeing so many promos for big Steven Universe events but they always just go back to living in Beach City and having whimsical adventures there. It's like it's a plot-driven show but it isn't.

Well to be fair Gravity Falls was kinda like that, I like to think this is sort of a balance when it comes to story driven shows

Well to be fair Gravity Falls was kinda like that, I like to think this is sort of a balance when it comes to story driven shows

Yeah but Hirsch mostly planned it that way. He knew from the start when and how he wanted to finish the show. A show about a single summer vacation with supernatural hijinks can't exactly have a lot of big changes or character arcs. Steven Universe, on the other hand, has no such limitations. Gravity Falls was less about the overarching plotline and more about the relationship of the twins throughout the summer. Steven Universe draws inspiration from so many anime like Sailor Moon and Utena but it's mostly surface-level stuff. Either make a show about a goofy kid with magical powers or make a big space opera anime. Don't half-ass both.

Yeah but Hirsch mostly planned it that way. He knew from the start when and how he wanted to finish the show. A show about a single summer vacation with supernatural hijinks can't exactly have a lot of big changes or character arcs. .

I don't know Ben 10 kinda did that and there are tons of shows where a lot happens in little time.

Steven Universe, on the other hand, has no such limitations. Gravity Falls was less about the overarching plotline and more about the relationship of the twins throughout the summer. Steven Universe draws inspiration from so many anime like Sailor Moon and Utena but it's mostly surface-level stuff. Either make a show about a goofy kid with magical powers or make a big space opera anime. Don't half-ass both.

Well with SU its not just about the space opera its also about the world and the characters, while we do see strange adventure with Steven we do get some development here and there from other characters with Pearl letting go of Rose, Peridot getting use to Earth, and Amethyst find her own identiy. I mean there is a lot of stuff happening with the show thats not about space travel

Fair enough and knows how to fight and use her power
Shizuku can at least make sense out of her death prediction.
Okuyasu on the other hand would be like "What the fuck does this mean Josuke? You know I can't read too well, let's get Koichi and Yukako to interpret this."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You know out of curiosity what was everyone's opinion on Black Lagoon
One of the best shows they brought to the block. Super glad I watched it despite the fact I only knew it was a series that existed.

...plus it was the show that made me get my tag.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
First half is fun, but then 2nd half seems to forget what kind of show it wants to be & falls apart

Still resulted in a fun group watch & is one of the few times I prefer a dub over sub despite seeing the show with subs first. Easily one of Aniplex's best dubs, not to mention Patrick Seitz sounded like he was having fun as Gamagoori.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup.

Also a head's up that the manga is back and shit is going down.
One of these days, I WILL get volumes 1, 2, & 10 so I can read volumes 3-9 that I own. It's just hard finding cheap copies that're in decent condition & I can't bring myself to watch/read something out of order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom