• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump talks tough on NAFTA for eleven hours and then backs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

I'd put money on any changes being more beneficial to Mexico and Canada than to the US, given Trump's dealmaking skill.

Also Canada and Mexico are on much higher ground now then they were originally back in the 90s when this was originally negotiated.

ZOONAMI

Barry can you help me out like just during the week? You can hang out at the White House all week, and I'll just chill at Maralago but I'll handle shit on the weekends from there. I promise.

Fucking hell, thank whatever god, I don't care anymore.

Holy shit at risking millions of jobs as a goddamn bargaining chip.

Batshit insane.

There's little stopping the trade war from exploding. If negotiations fall through for whatever reason at all, we're fucked by increasingly escalating shows of economic force.

wildfire

Banned
It's obvious to me since the North Korea Senate meeting was a big nothing burger that Trump is trying to simply distract the American people from his failures.

His base by next week should start getting antsy about the lemon they forced on all of us. It's about time more of them vocally expressed displeasure instead of whimpering in the shadows.

His base by next week should start getting antsy about the lemon they forced on all of us. It's about time more of them vocally expressed displeasure instead of whimpering in the shadows.

You really underestimate how stupid these people are. I browsed the_donald out of curiosity, and these people are delusional. In their eyes, Trump's been doing an amazing job in the last 100 days.

wildfire

Banned
You really underestimate how stupid these people are. I browsed the_donald out of curiosity, and these people are delusional. In their eyes, Trump's been doing an amazing job in the last 100 days.

Eh don't forget during the Syrian situation there actually was such a significant backlash the mods started banning long time members. That sub reddit will continue self destructing but the key issues Trump could fuck up on are very specific and narrow so who knows when Trump gets around to messing up in some of their minds again. I wouldn't want to waste time thining too much of supporters who regularly visit that forum.

I have looked everywhere on the White House website and I cannot find this readout. If this was sent to the press, it would also be on the White House website. Can anyone link me to the readout on the White House website? I'm extremely hesitant to trust a random image on the internet these days.

jiiikoo

Banned
Hahahah. I don't think Trump actually knows anything about making deals, because it seems to me, that he hasn't made one single deal since taking office. Lol.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/10/news/economy/mexico-us-nafta-ross-guajardo-press-conference/

Article from March 10

Sounds like things are moving along the set timeline

..... So what exactly did Trump accomplish today?

When you bring up NAFTA in casual conversation with your racist uncle in the future, he'll tell you "Trump pulled us out of 'at" and believe it. Because Trump followers only retain the initial aggressive news story, not the sheepish retreat. They live in a land where wishing makes it so.

Laekon

I'm no Trump fan but some of you are going way overboard. In less then 12 hours from saying he want to pull out he had two other countries agree to renegotiate an agreement that wasn't up for negotiating. Given all the crap he has said before how do you think this is a loss? It's what he says he does all the time and he did it. Nothing is decided yet and so it can go either way.

Kurdel

Banned
I'm no Trump fan but some of you are going way overboard. In less then 12 hours from saying he want to pull out he had two other countries agree to renegotiate an agreement that wasn't up for negotiating. Given all the crap he has said before how do you think this is a loss? It's what he says he does all the time and he did it. Nothing is decided yet and so it can go either way.

Trudeau said he was open to discussing before this stunt.

Trump is trying to look like a big boy, poorly informed people will eat it up.

Please inform yourself. In this thread alone it has been shown both Mexico and Canada have been open and in talks for negotation for months now.

Umm.. that is good negotiating?
His end game was obviously not to terminate NAFTA.
6vq573.gif

Apathy

Geopolitics aren't a joke. They aren't one sided deals. This man child is going to destroy actual political ties because hes a fucking moron put into office by dimwits who only understand rhyming slogans and wanted and "outsider". There's a reason why people in people are inside, because they make contacts and learn the job and get shit done.

Particle Physicist

Absolutely not true. I just posted an article about negotiations from March (even Mexico stating that they will be ready to negotiate in May), there are earlier ones that talk about how they were trying to figure out how to do the negotiations, whether to make them three way or have the US negotiate with each nation separately.

numble

Absolutely not true. I just posted an article about negotiations from March (even Mexico stating that they will be ready to negotiate in May), there are earlier ones that talk about how they were trying to figure out how to do the negotiations, whether to make them three way or have the US negotiate with each nation separately.

There is a difference between negotiations and pulling out. You can pull out without any negotiations. Its in Chapter 22 of the treaty.

There is no specific procedure in the treaty for renegotiation. Mexico has its own domestic requirements to have a 90 day period before any renegotiation.

Particle Physicist

There is a difference between negotiations and pulling out. You can pull out without any negotiations. Its in Chapter 22 of the treaty.

There is no specific procedure in the treaty for renegotiation. Mexico has its own domestic requirements to have a 90 day period before any renegotiation.

Yes... and they have been in talks for a while now with Mexico stating that they will be able to fully negotiate in May. Not sure what your point is. Trumps antics today didn't bring them to the table. They were already at the fucking table.

The US also has a 90 day notice to congress that must be sent. Mexico started their 90 process before the US.

numble

Yes... and they have been in talks for a while now with Mexico stating that they will be able to fully negotiate in May. Not sure what your point is. Trumps antics today didn't bring them to the table. They were already at the fucking table.

There is a difference between negotiation and termination.

numble

The US also has a 90 day notice to congress that must be sent. Mexico started their 90 process before the US.

Please give me a source on the 90 day notice to Congress for termination of a treaty.

Um.. okay?

There was an executive order drafted regarding withdrawal from NAFTA. The Peso dropped and the Mexican and Canadian leaders got on the phone with Trump.

Particle Physicist

Please give me a source on the 90 day notice to Congress for termination of a treaty.

How about Tump's own Wilbur Ross:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-slow-approach-on-nafta-ross/article34644675/

Ross says the U.S. Congress has been slow on two fronts: in confirming Trump's new trade czar, and in approving the formal notice that would launch the 90-day process before negotiations can start.

There was an executive order drafted regarding withdrawal from NAFTA. The Peso dropped and the Mexican and Canadian leaders got on the phone with Trump.

Yes... and at the end of this Trump got absolutely nothing. Both countries are still willing to negotiate NAFTA just like before. What exactly did Trump gain? Sounds like the other countries won that battle.

numble

How about Tump's own Wilbur Ross:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-slow-approach-on-nafta-ross/article34644675/

Yes... and at the end of this Trump got absolutely nothing. Both countries are still willing to negotiate NAFTA just like before. What exactly did Trump gain? Sounds like the other countries won that battle.

That is a 90 day notice for the negotiation of trade treaties under the fast track authority granted to the President for the negotiation of trade deals.

It has nothing to do with termination of treaties. Negotiation and termination of treaties are two different things.

Here is the New York Times on how the markets and the governments reacted on the sudden news of a withdrawal from NAFTA:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/politics/nafta-executive-order-trump.html
Washington must give Canada and Mexico six months’ notice before exiting the trade agreement, which came into force in 1994. Any action to that effect would start the clock.

But the prospect of the United States’ pulling out obviously alarmed the Canadian and Mexican leaders and prompted their calls to the White House.

The Mexican peso plummeted in trading after news broke at midday on Wednesday that the White House had drafted an executive order withdrawing the United States from Nafta. Mr. Trudeau called Mr. Trump twice, on Tuesday and Wednesday, to discuss the sudden rupture in the trade relationship between the United States and Canada.

The suggestion of withdrawal, reported by Politico on Wednesday, raised anxieties in financial markets. The peso fell more than 2 percent against the dollar, and the Canadian dollar fell about 0.3 percent.

Particle Physicist

That is a 90 day notice for the negotiation of trade treaties under the fast track authority granted to the President for the negotiation of trade deals.

It has nothing to do with termination of treaties. Negotiation and termination of treaties are two different things.

Here is the New York Times on how the markets and the governments reacted on the sudden news of a withdrawal from NAFTA:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/politics/nafta-executive-order-trump.html

Holy fuck. No shit they are different. Trump threatened to terminate NAFTA today. After speaking with Mexico and Canada he decided against it and is now going to renegotiate NAFTA. People are saying that was his plan and he got Canada and Mexico to agree to a renegotiation of NAFTA with his antics today but they had already fucking agreed to a renegotiation prior to all this. In fact, Mexico had already started their renogtiation 90 day shit before the US did.

Please enlighten me here, what exactly did Trump accomplish today?

Gero

He's such a great leader, so inspiring. Maybe I should use his methods to get myself a degree instead of wasting my life in school.

numble

Holy fuck. No shit they are different. Trump threatened to terminate NAFTA today. After speaking with Mexico and Canada he decided against it and is now going to renegotiate NAFTA. People are saying that was his plan and he got Canada and Mexico to agree to a renegotiation of NAFTA with his antics today but they had already fucking agreed to a renegotiation prior to all this. In fact, Mexico had already started their renogtiation 90 day shit before the US did.

Please enlighten me here, what exactly did Trump accomplish today?

ssolitaire claimed that this call today was setup already and everything else was for show. I disagreed that the call was already setup, and New York Times even reports that the news prompted the calls.

Do you agree or disagree with my belief that the call was not otherwise on the schedule? I believe it is supported by the NYT article that say the news of the executive order prompted the call.

Show me where I ever mentioned that this is his plan to get them to agree to renegotiate.

Particle Physicist

ssolitaire claimed that this call today was setup already and everything else was for show. I disagreed that the call was already setup, and New York Times even reports that the news prompted the calls.

Do you agree or disagree with my belief that the call was not otherwise on the schedule? I believe it is supported by the NYT article that say the news of the executive order prompted the call.

Show me where I ever mentioned that this is his plan to get them to agree to renegotiate.

I'm not ssolitaire. I have no idea if there was a scheduled call today or not. All I know is that Trump accomplished absolutely nothing today. He has yet to show these master negotiation skills and continues to act brashly.

I misread this. I thought you said 'negotiations' instead of termination since I was initially responding to this "There is no specific procedure in the treaty for renegotiation."

Still, you seem to not address any of what I was actually saying.

numble

I'm not ssolitaire. I have no idea if there was a scheduled call today or not. All I know is that Trump accomplished absolutely nothing today. He has yet to show these master negotiation skills and continues to act brashly.

I misread this. I thought you said 'negotiations' instead of termination since I was initially responding to this "There is no specific procedure in the treaty for renegotiation."

Still, you seem to not address any of what I was actually saying.

You began this conversation by replying to my claim that the call was not pre-scheduled.

There still isn't a procedure for renegotiation in the treaty. Trump could begin negotiations today. He needs to give Congress 90 days notice if he wants to do it under fast-track authority (filibuster-proof consent).

I never claimed he accomplished anything so I do not know why I need to address such a claim. I posted to address factual claims that I disagreed with.

PieterJan

Neo Member
Okay Belgian here, so I'm not really familiar with the specifics of the treaty, but as far as I know any treaty is renegotiable (see Brexit?). Still I think Trump made a win, in the sense that he appealed to his voters, but so do Nieto and Trudeau because 'they kept the US around the table'.

At the same time, I don't know what Nieto and Trudeau think of him, but given his failures so far I wouldn't mind renegotiating with him either. On top of that, treaty negotiations are not really something you pull of in a few months. If they stall enough, it wouldn't surprise me the negotiations would finish in the next term, which could perfectly be with another president.

All in all, I would think Nieto and Trudeau aren't afraid to get get the new deal to be the old deal or even more in favor for them;

Particle Physicist

You began this conversation by replying to my claim that the call was not pre-scheduled.

There still isn't a procedure for renegotiation in the treaty. Trump could begin negotiations today. He needs to give Congress 90 days notice if he wants to do it under fast-track authority (filibuster-proof consent).

I never claimed he accomplished anything so I do not know why I need to address such a claim. I posted to address factual claims that I disagreed with.

My initial post was pointing out that the timeline of renegotiation had not actually moved at all. You didn't even respond to that post. You responded to my post responding to someone stating that Trump master negotiated his way to have the countries agree to a renegotiation.

You need to address those claims because all of my posts in this thread are about exactly that. I have no idea what you are arguing otherwise. The only reason why I mentioned the 90 fastrack authority was to point out that Mexico started the process of renegotiating NAFTA in early February before the US even started the 90 fast track timeframe.

What did he get? Why is this good negotiation?
I mean, nobody knows what he got because negotiations haven't begun. But it seems pretty clear this is what he always does: take an outrageous or threatening position and wait for the opposition to come to the table. It hasn't worked on most fronts (the wall, healthcare) but could work here. Mexico is in a very tough position.

"lol Trump" doesn't seem like the logical response here.

Clydefrog

I wonder if we'll (USA) get invaded now.

"DONT YOU EVEN DARE!!!"

"After ten minutes with world leaders, I am surrendering the USA."

120v

his NAFTA "stance" never really made any sense to begin with

i guess the silver lining is, seems like sitting trump down with adults gets him to shut up and not do anything egregiously stupid. seems to be the recurring theme so far

fhqwhgads

If this is how the entirety of Trump's presidency is going to be, I think it's not going to be as bad as we thought:

Trump: I'm going to do (Incredibly stupid thing that would heavily affect millions of people for no good reason)
Literally everyone: You can't do that
Trump: Okay, I'll just think of (Another Incredibly stupid thing that would heavily affect millions of people for no good reason)
Rinse and repeat until 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom