• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump talks tough on NAFTA for eleven hours and then backs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeh4wk

In other words:

IpDAgCi.gif

TheContact

A journalist on twitter (whose name I can't remember) brought up a good point on this: it isn't clear if there was ever really a threat to leave NAFTA, or if it was just something the Bannon wing leaked to the media in order to maintain the appearance that they are relevant and/or box in Trump on the issue.

No in the debates he trashed NAFTA hard

djkimothy

This will be a huge waste of time if the amendments to nafta will be no different than the update provisions found in TPP. The original successor to nafta.

I don't think any country can take the trump admin sersiouly anymore wrt trade.

So he asked about NAFTA 10 times, and on the 11th he chilled off.

This seems like the actions of a really compulsive guy.

Like you know when you're at the supermarket, and you've got your trolley of food waiting in line to get served by the check out lady. They usually have chewing gum and other random shit to purchase for impulse buyers.

Trump would be like, grabbing the crap out f that chewing gum and other snacks.

I'm no Trump fan but some of you are going way overboard. In less then 12 hours from saying he want to pull out he had two other countries agree to renegotiate an agreement that wasn't up for negotiating. Given all the crap he has said before how do you think this is a loss? It's what he says he does all the time and he did it. Nothing is decided yet and so it can go either way.
Though most will portray this as a L for Trump, neither Trudeau nor Nieto really wanted to reopen the NAFTA. Trump's hardball threats actually worked in this specific case.

This isn't a win or a loss. It's nothing. As others have pointed out, the day ends in exactly the same spot as it began: the U.S. kinda, sorta, maybe wanting to reopen NAFTA, which is something Canada called for literally the day after the election (and which I know for a fact is something they'd been discussing for a long time before that), and Mexico agreed to at least a month and a half ago. Calling it a win for Trump stretching the definition of the word "win."

Some other people not Bannon probably told him "That is a seriously fuck stupid idea to just pull out, you're literally asking Mexico and Canada to fuck us over at that point."

There was an executive order drafted regarding withdrawal from NAFTA. The Peso dropped and the Mexican and Canadian leaders got on the phone with Trump.
Justin Trudeau publicly stated that Canada will be happy to renegotiate NAFTA with the US and Mexico in November, 2016 (Nov. 9th, to be precise), and Canada has maintained that position ever since. Canada's willingness to meet at the negotiating table has nothing to do with bullshit the orange baboon pulled this week.

jstripes

Banned
Trump - *petulantly threatens to destroy three national economies*
Canada and Mexico - "Hold on a second... let's think this through."
Trump - "Look how good I am at making deals!"

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So he's doing what Canada and Mexico have said they wanted to do since the inauguration (and earlier even): have talks about NAFTA.

No, this isn't a "win".
It's just more bullshit.

djkimothy

Trump's great talent is turning something everything already agreed on into a loss.

Yup. this sums this shit storm up. Nothing has been accomplished other than softwood duties.

So he's doing what Canada and Mexico have said they wanted to do since the inauguration (and earlier even): have talks about NAFTA.

No, this isn't a "win".
It's just more bullshit.

He's doing exactly what's already been done 7 years ago. TPP was to be the new nafta.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
"Fuck this thing" ---> stern discussion behind closed doors --> "Nevermind, this thing's great"

Why does it always take him 8-9 minutes to type each tweet that continues one thought? Does he still have a phone that still does numerical texting or something?
Maybe he refuses to use any sort of autocorrect or prediction because he doesn't want anyone telling him what to do.

Supast4r

Trump voters you tired yet from all this winning? In 100 days, all he has done is roll back environmental regulations, net neutrality, cut corporate taxes and appoint his wall street and goldman sachs executive friends into high places.
They only cared that a diet racist is the president.

It's been "fun" watching our President expose his own lack of conviction on anything through the way he constantly changes his mind or public statements based on who last talked to him. Whoever's in his ear last gets to manipulate him to whatever ends they want, and his insecurities prevent him from having any clarity about his ideals or honestly discussing his opinions with us (if he has any at all, really).

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

3rdman

This is quite the tactic he's worked out for himself...

Trump: NAFTA sucks! I will get rid of it and get better terms or I'll make the wall taller!!!

Audience: Yay!!!!

....100 days later....

Trump: I've looked into it and I've made some demands and they all agree with me that the deal is better now!

Audience: Yay!!!! He's just like us!!!

Pedrito

This is quite the tactic he's worked out for himself...

Trump: NAFTA sucks! I will get rid of it and get better terms or I'll make the wall taller!!!

Audience: Yay!!!!

....100 days later....

Trump: I've looked into it and I've made some demands and they all agree with me that the deal is better now!

Audience: Yay!!!! He's just like us!!!

Try "10 hours later" instead.

On the_d yesterday, there was a thread about Trump withdrawing from NAFTA and the replies were: "So much winning", "God Emperor does it again!", "America Fuck Yeah!".

Then, later in the day, there was a new thread about Trump renegotiating NAFTA instead and the replies were, wait for it: "So much winning", "God Emperor does it again!", "America Fuck Yeah!".

That place is fascinating.

drawkcaB

I'm no Trump fan but some of you are going way overboard. In less then 12 hours from saying he want to pull out he had two other countries agree to renegotiate an agreement that wasn't up for negotiating. Given all the crap he has said before how do you think this is a loss? It's what he says he does all the time and he did it. Nothing is decided yet and so it can go either way.

No to the bolded. That's completely wrong.

Both Pena and Trudeau said they're up for renegotiating NAFTA many months ago. Despite how loud Trump has been about NAFTA screwing the US, both Mexico and Canada have their own grievances with the agreement. The NAFTA bluff was posturing by Trump to make himself feel like a big boy.

If the other leaders had said "no way we're renegotiating NAFTA", Trump threatens to leave, and then Pena and Trudeau agree to renegotiate, you'd have a point. But that's not what happened what-so-ever.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No to the bolded. That's completely wrong.

Both Pena and Trudeau said they're up for renegotiating NAFTA many months ago. Despite how loud Trump has been about NAFTA screwing the US, both Mexico and Canada have their own grievances with the agreement. The NAFTA bluff was posturing by Trump to make himself feel like a big boy.

If the other leaders had said "no way we're renegotiating NAFTA", Trump threatens to leave, and then Pena and Trudeau agree to renegotiate, you'd have a point. But that's not what happened what-so-ever.

Indeed. Article from March of last year, Canada saw no issue with renegotiation.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/31/cana...t-future-of-nafta-other-trade-agreements.html

Mexico the same. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-trade-nafta-idUSKCN105299?il=0

Another meeting with world leaders, another total loss for the 'best negotiator'.

He has never walked out of one of those meetings with what he said he would prior to going in.

Trump's great talent is turning something everything already agreed on into a loss.

I keep reading about how Trump keeps losing yet when I go to work his supporters talk about how he is getting what he wants. Seems Trump is very good at turning what should be an L into a W by controlling the narrative.

And how many reports do we need that his voters would vote for him again in a heartbeat and give him an A so far.

I keep reading about how Trump keeps losing yet when I go to work his supporters talk about how he is getting what he wants. Seems Trump is very good at turning what should be an L into a W by controlling the narrative.

And how many reports do we need that his voters would vote for him again in a heartbeat and give him an A so far.

His faithful haven't woken up. I'm not sure they ever will.

That doesn't make this a win for those of us outside the reality distortion field.

I think there is a difference between people that voted for him and his supporters. I don't think you should lump them all together on this and many other issues.

Zolo

I think there is a difference between people that voted for him and his supporters. I don't think you should lump them all together on this and many other issues.

Yeah....as dumb as it may seem, there are people who don't actually like Trump (didn't vote for him in the primaries), but voted for him over Hillary. Of course, don't expect those people to ever support anyone who's not Republican.

Shoeless

I can't actually get too mad about that deal making is an art line since Trump didn't even write or think that. His ghost writer did in attempt to try to add some substance and likability to Trump rather than just portray him as an amoral businessman that was only interested in money, and when Trump read that line, he loved it and decided that this is how he had been all the time, even though he didn't know it.

So, kudos to the writer--who now regrets having written that book, and admits he now knows what Oppenheimer must have felt like when they detonated the first nuclear bomb--I can appreciate the craft in what he was trying to do with that writing, but that's just Trump appropriating someone else's work and ideas again.

Ithil

Those are people who don't actually pay any attention to a thing that happens. They listen to the absurd hyperbole Trump engages in for almost every sentence he ever speaks and believe it wholesale.

They've decided "He's perfect and brilliant and everything he does is correct and a win" and that's that.

guek

Banned
I know it's fun to take potshots at him over this but his base is going to love pointing out that he's technically keeping his promise to "renegotiate NAFTA."

ElFly

I can't actually get too mad about that deal making is an art line since Trump didn't even write or think that. His ghost writer did in attempt to try to add some substance and likability to Trump rather than just portray him as an amoral businessman that was only interested in money, and when Trump read that line, he loved it and decided that this is how he had been all the time, even though he didn't know it.

So, kudos to the writer--who now regrets having written that book, and admits he now knows what Oppenheimer must have felt like when they detonated the first nuclear bomb--I can appreciate the craft in what he was trying to do with that writing, but that's just Trump appropriating someone else's work and ideas again.

art of the deal is hilarious because Trump still manages to look like an asshole, even when you know the ghost writer is making his best effort to make him likeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom