• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to widow of dead Sargent: 'He knew what he signed up for'

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I never understood the hagification of Kelly. Anyone who wants to prolong this clown's tenure is borderline evil.

Exile20

I'm still trying to mentally process the fact that a retired general... who lost a son in combat... just declared that it was open season on families of deceased service members... IF they oppose Trump. That's... that's actually what happened right?

He somehow managed to never accuse the widow or her family of lying, he placed all the blame on Congresswoman Wilson. His army of trolls on the other hand...

She is a democratic congressman.

Bill Orielly - It was a setup
Fox - She should be grateful the president called when he didn't have to
- If is your fault that you misinterpreted him.

Blizzard

Banned
The man just insulted a fellow Gold Star family to defend a sociopathic monster. He is a part of the problem. The bulk of the cabinet is already willing to flaunt basic decency in service to his agenda. The time for good people in the administration is done. The only way to stop Trump is removal.
I'm not just talking about Kelly. I'm saying how, pray tell, are you going to remove Trump if he ends up with supporters in charge of all military branches and government offices?

Imagine if Rosenstein outright resigned because he decided it was immoral to work for Trump, giving Trump the perfect excuse to appoint someone else who will fire Mueller.

Kelly, who has lost a son KIA, just defended Trump shitting on a woman whose son was KIA, after Trump invoked Kelly's dead son as a political prop.

At any time, he could go OFF on Trump in the most public way imaginable. Call a press conference, tear Trump an asshole for using his dead son, free speech, civilians who are dying of thirst and hunger in disaster areas, call on Congress to save the Republic from this monster, and promptly resign for his dignity as a father and for the dignity of his dead son.
He could indeed "go OFF on Trump", which would be in the news for a few days or a week, and then be buried under the next idiotic thing Trump does a week later, as has been happening for the last 10 months. "going off" / "going ham" / "going in" on Trump has not worked all the way from before the election until now, and it's not going to suddenly start working.

If Kelly quits then Trump can then immediately appoint someone even worse who won't even consider trying to stop a nuclear strike.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This could be interpreted in two way, in my opinion. One way implies that less symapthy should be given because they knew the risk. Another way is that its an attempt of comfort, saying that they knew the risk. Basically another way of saying "they knew they were putting their lifes on the line every day". But of course, with different ways of interpreting things, it can be important to choose which words to use.

None of that matters now, to be honest.

Pbae

The man just insulted a fellow Gold Star family to defend a sociopathic monster. He is a part of the problem. The bulk of the cabinet is already willing to flaunt basic decency in service to his agenda. The time for good people in the administration is done. The only way to stop Trump is removal.

I'm starting to agree more and more with this sentiment.

This idea that he's (Kelly) in a position to dilute the madness that is the Trump presidency is beyond naive. It's a great story to help you fall asleep at night but the reality is that he's just as complacent in the sabotage as any other goon in the administration.

From the last presser on, he's chosen to normalize the indefensible, align his stories in an ill attempt to collaborate Trump's lies, and sweep under the rug any other loose ends that might unravel into larger concerns.

Trump sees Kelly as one of his possessions. He said "all I can do is ask my generals," When he clearly threw Kelly under the bus to avoid responsibility for the fallout from the call.

Fuck Kelly. His career will end in disgrace. All that time served in the military and he throws it all away to protect Trump. Once all this shit is in the history books, no one can cry "Fake news!". He won't be remembered for his service to the country but as a willing chief of staff to the worst modern president.

I just listened to some of what Kelly had to say, as much as I could stomach, and he complains that Congresswoman Wilson was listening in on the call as if she was eavesdropping. The call was on speaker and they were in a moving car, did he expect her to roll out as the call began?
It didn't matter before either. I can think of one hundred things to say to someone who's lost a loved one and "... well they knew the risks" would never be one of those things. Even if Kelly did share that with Trump he should know him well enough by to know that he can't handle conveying the nuance of that kind of message to someone else, much less a war widow.

Chumly

I didn’t have much respect for anybody in the trump administration but any fucking respect I had for kelly is gone. He at least could have played the whole “this isn’t appropriate to talk about card” but instead he went full trump

At this point Kelly has to literally slap the nuclear button out of Trumps tiny hands one day and thereby saving the world if he wants any chance to redeem himself.

Kadin

I just listened to some of what Kelly had to say, as much as I could stomach, and he complains that Congresswoman Wilson was listening in on the call as if she was eavesdropping. The call was on speaker and they were in a moving car, did he expect her to roll out as the call began?
I just listened to some of it as well. Did he say something along the lines of women used to sacred but are no longer? I swear I heard that but have to believe I interpreted it incorrectly.

edit: just listened to it again and that's what he said but didn't use it in the context of what I thought.

I just listened to some of it as well. Did he say something along the lines of women used to sacred but are no longer? I swear I heard that but have to believe I interpreted it incorrectly.

I think he was talking about Weinstein allegations or something who knows?

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, its a matter of intentions. But yeah, its now said (if that is what you mean?).

It didn't matter before either. I can think of one hundred things to say to someone who's lost a loved one and "... well they knew the risks" would never be one of those things. Even if Kelly did share that with Trump he should know him well enough by to know that he can't handle conveying the nuance of that kind of message to someone else, much less a war widow.
Intentions matter. Not going to argue that this was poor choice of words from what i've read though, i agree with that.

Intentions matter. Not going to argue that this was poor choice of words from what i've read though, i agree with that.

On that point I honestly don't believe that Trump intended to offend Mrs. Johnson but I think that it should be clear by now that for whatever reason he's lacking in basic human empathy and awareness necessary to do his job. No one should have to tell a grown man to remember the name of family he's calling to give condolences or to remember not to blame dead soldiers for their own deaths. These are basic communication skills that every human innately possesses, like understanding personal space when you're speaking face to face with someone. The fact that Trump has repeatedly had these kinds of foibles should be a giant red flag to anyone that supports him that maybe there's something wrong with him and he's not fit for this office.

test_account

XP-39C²
On that point I honestly don't believe that Trump intended to offend Mrs. Johnson but I think that it should be clear by now that for whatever reason he's lacking in basic human empathy and awareness necessary to do his job. No one should have to tell a grown man to remember the name of family he's calling to give condolences or to remember not to blame dead soldiers for their own deaths. These are basic communication skills that every human innately possesses, like understanding personal space when you're speaking face to face with someone. The fact that Trump has repeatedly had these kinds of foibles should be a giant red flag to anyone that supports him that maybe there's something wrong with him and he's not fit for this office.
Thats fair enough. Reading some of the comments, i thought maybe it was being interpreted that he ment this is a downward tone (basically a "he knew what he was getting in to, get over it" kinda thing), so i just wanted to comment on that. Things in written form can also sound a lot harder than when its being spoken. But again, not a good choice of words from Trump in this case, i agree with that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I didn't have much respect for anybody in the trump administration but any fucking respect I had for kelly is gone. He at least could have played the whole ”this isn't appropriate to talk about card" but instead he went full trump
It makes me feel better that he must be completely aware that she's shit on and burned his entire reputation. For Donald Fucking Trump. Enjoy those awkward conversations for the rest of your miserable life, you piece of shit.

What's with Kelly saying America doesn't have anything worth saving and dying for now, versus when he was younger and women were respected, etc etc.

Is part of his mind trying to escape from his skull or signal to the world that he is stuck covering for a divisive lunatic ?

LilZippa

What's with Kelly saying America doesn't have anything worth saving and dying for now, versus when he was younger and women were respected, etc etc.

Is part of his mind trying to escape from his skull or signal to the world that he is stuck covering for a divisive lunatic ?

What does this even mean?

NYR

Only 3/7 more years of my life with this man...

I can guarantee he brought up Hilary Clinton somehow
One could argue he gets neutered next November in the mid term elections and becomes a lame duck president. He then spends a year campaigning, so you could only be looking at one more effective year and two write-off years.

Apt101

He can't even summon enough human emotion and empathy to console the widow of a fallen soldier without causing a debacle.

Fucking hell. Everyone who voted for him is responsible for the mess he's causing.

Steejee

It saddens me that this asshole is one of the few things preventing the Trump Administration from being even worse than it is.

Mathieran

Banned
Wow I wasn't a Gen Kelly fan before but I respected him or at least had hope he would keep trump in check. Now I see that he is right on board with trump and I have lost all respect for him. Fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't wait for Trump to start parading the name of Kelly's dead son around like a trophy just because he can and Kelly is going to have to just sit there and take it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I can't wait for Trump to start parading the name of Kelly's dead son around like a trophy just because he can and Kelly is going to have to just sit there and take it.
You know what? Good. Kelly deserves everything he has to endure for being Trump's monkey. And that includes having his own son's death cheapened and used so Trump can brag about how superior he is. This is exactly what he signed up for.

rokkerkory

Let's stop talking about Trump's remarks... let's talk Trump's lack of remarks on why these soldiers died in first place

"I wonder if he was a black soldier"

*click*

"yep"
Reminds me of how Black soldiers were treated when they came back from war - fought for the country but still second class citizens. Stand for that anthem though.

And no, I think Trump would've been more cordial if this was a while soldier. One Black life means nothing to him.

Elandyll

Banned
Disgusted by Kelly's behavior this afternoon frankly. And pretty much putting a stamp of approval on using the death of his son as a political football.

Hilarious though that he flat out confirmed Trump lied. The words said (He knew what he was getting into) were real, just said with Trump's total lack of human empathy, are exactly what Trump said he didn't say, and what reportedly upset the family on the phone.

And then Kelly tries to put all the blame on the Democratic Congresswoman, when Trump even lied on previous Presidents never calling before him which he has to know is patently false.

Just nauseating.

That seems to be the fatal flaw in his administration. It's okay to screw up, but for god's sake take some responsibility for something.

We already know what's going on here. it's been said for years and reemphasized in Comey's testimony; Trump demands total loyalty. I'm actually surprised that Tillerson is still around after he refused to lie to the press about calling Trump a moron.

Maybe the spouse should tell off Trump herself. On Twitter. No congresswoman. No press. Just her. Call him out on his lying and disrespect and get it out.

Can’t blame media or politician. Just widow vs lying sociopath president.

Top Bottom