• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to widow of dead Sargent: 'He knew what he signed up for'

I'm coming into this thread without context at the moment. Can someone break this down to me on the significance? Will those journalist ask soft ball questions?
As opposed to what people expected which was for him to get upset with Trump's politicizing of his son's death it looks as if instead he's doubling down and further politicizing it by acting as if only the reporters that are friends with gold star families are fit to ask questions.

I hope that there's another interpretation of this because it seems as if there really are no adults in that day care.

Gutek

As opposed to what people expected which was for him to get upset with Trump's politicizing of his son's death it looks as if instead he's doubling down and further politicizing it by acting as if only the reporters that are friends with gold star families are fit to ask questions.

I hope that there's another interpretation of this because it seems as if there really are no adults in that day care.

Kelly is a piece of shit. Fuck him. After Trump is gone, he and the rest of the administration need to be de-trumpififed. No more holding office for these fucks.

blugbox

Neo Member
Probably deserves a new thread, but Kelly just defended Trump against Congresswoman Wilson!

What does he have to say to Sgt. Johnson's mother then? What an asshole

Probably deserves a new thread, but Kelly just defended Trump against Congresswoman Wilson!

Jesus, the lack of damage control from this admin is astonishing. But I would image that it's impossible to do damage control in these situations and still keep Trump appeased. What a sad time this is to be alive.

I saw alot of moderates attacking the Congresswoman yesterday because they believe she had no business listening to the call.
Its interesting that Kelly thinks the Congresswoman shouldnt have listened to the call (it was on speaker phone) when Kelly listened in on that call himself from Trump's end.

norm9

Hopefully people will stop looking for heroes in this administration. No, Ivanka isnt, Melania isnt, tillers on isnt, kelly isnt, Mattison isnt.

Gutek

She’s not “sacred” anymore. Just like the Khans. If you ever doubted it, Kelly is a true believer. Full on racist.

I wonder what the Khans and the Johnsons have in common.

LilZippa

What Kelly said was everything that Trump has made unsacred. If he wasn't talking about Trump then he is indeed delusional.

Someone show General Kelly a list of newspapers that endorsed Clinton. As if the Khans were on the fringe or something, like they were speaking from a place other than patriotism. Every day this shitmess gets dumber and dumber. This administration is full of ridiculous people.

Blizzard

Banned
This. If you are a good person, you wouldn’t be working with Trump
The problem with this argument is that if everyone does it, Trump gets only true believers loyally supporting him installed, and there's no one left willing to leak, obstruct, try to stop nuclear war, that sort of thing.

I'm sure Kelly has problems, but imagine if all the top armed forces officers resigned out of protest and were replaced by Trump. Do you think the country and world would be better or worse off?

Ponn

Banned
Hopefully people will stop looking for heroes in this administration. No, Ivanka isnt, Melania isnt, tillers on isnt, kelly isnt, Mattison isnt.

Hope, but people keep falling for this shit. No one is there keeping Trump in check. No sane person would put themselves in that quagmire and certainly not one Trump chooses. It’s just desperation from people that are scared and looking for hope. Don’t fall for it and don’t give any of these complacent assholes a pass.

The problem with this argument is that if everyone does it, Trump gets only true believers loyally supporting him installed, and there's no one left willing to leak, obstruct, try to stop nuclear war, that sort of thing.

I'm sure Kelly has problems, but imagine if all the top armed forces officers resigned out of protest and were replaced by Trump. Do you think the country and world would be better or worse off?

The man just insulted a fellow Gold Star family to defend a sociopathic monster. He is a part of the problem. The bulk of the cabinet is already willing to flaunt basic decency in service to his agenda. The time for good people in the administration is done. The only way to stop Trump is removal.

The Khans were speaking out against a presidential candidate who claimed he would ban Muslims from entering America.
What they did took bravery and courage.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Kelly, who has lost a son KIA, just defended Trump shitting on a woman whose son was KIA, after Trump invoked Kelly's dead son as a political prop.

At any time, he could go OFF on Trump in the most public way imaginable. Call a press conference, tear Trump an asshole for using his dead son, free speech, civilians who are dying of thirst and hunger in disaster areas, call on Congress to save the Republic from this monster, and promptly resign for his dignity as a father and for the dignity of his dead son.

Shadybiz

Kelly said in the conference that, upon his son's death, he was told by General Dunford:

'He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1%. He knew what the possibilities were because we were at war. And when he died he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends.' That's what the President tried to say to the four families the other day.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/john-kelly-donald-trump-niger-family-calls/index.html

1. I like how he notes that's what Trump TRIED to say...meaning he can't manage to string a couple of sentences together without fucking it up.

2. That's all well and good, but really, those were the words of a General to a General. I think that the words should perhaps be different from the President to the grieving widow. ....Or maybe I'm nuts.

Kelly, who has lost a son KIA, just defended Trump shitting on a woman whose son was KIA, after Trump invoked Kelly's dead son as a political prop.

At any time, he could go OFF on Trump in the most public way imaginable. Call a press conference, tear Trump an asshole for using his dead son, free speech, civilians who are dying of thirst and hunger in disaster areas, call on Congress to save the Republic from this monster, and promptly resign for his dignity as a father and for the dignity of his dead son.

Yep. He’s riding it out for the white surpremacy and tax cuts. Just like most Republicans

Kelly said in the conference that, upon his son's death, he was told by General Dunford:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/john-kelly-donald-trump-niger-family-calls/index.html

1. I like how he notes that's what Trump TRIED to say...meaning he can't manage to string a couple of sentences together without fucking it up.

2. That's all well and good, but really, those were the words of a General to a General. I think that the words should perhaps be different from the President to the grieving widow. ....Or maybe I'm nuts.

So now we have 2 stories from the White House.

1. Kelly says that he told Trump to tell the widow that "he knew what he signed up for."

2. Trump says that he never said that.

We have the Chief of Staff indirectly calling the President a liar. Cool.

Mahonay

Banned
So now we have 2 stories from the White House.

1. Kelly says that he told Trump to tell the widow that "he knew what he signed up for."

2. Trump says that he never said that.

We have the Chief of Staff indirectly calling the President a liar. Cool.
This is not the first time his staff has struggled desperately to keep up with his pathological lying.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/19/john-kelly-frederica-wilson-trump-243956

“He asked me about previous presidents, and I said I can tell you that President Obama, who was my commander in chief when I was on active duty, did not call my family,” Kelly said. “That was not a criticism. That was just to simply say I don’t believe President Obama called. That’s not a negative thing. I don’t believe President Bush called in all cases. I don’t believe any president, particularly when the casualty rates are very, very high, that presidents call.”

“That is what the president tried to say to the four families the other day,” Kelly explained. “It stuns me that a member of Congress would have listened in on that conversation — absolutely stuns me. And I thought at least that was sacred.”

Kelly offered more sharp words about Wilson, saying she showed "selfish" behavior.

"So I still hope as you write your stories, and I appeal to America that let's not let this maybe last thing that's held sacred in our society, a young man, young woman going out and giving his or her life for our country, let's try to somehow keep that sacred," Kelly told reporters. "But it eroded a great deal yesterday by the selfish behavior of a member of Congress."

They're flipping the narrative to focus on Wilson and stretching the semantics of Trump's statements to give him an out. I have a strong feeling they will succeed.

Con_Smith

Banned
Wow. Like literally wow at all this shit.

Like Eric Wareheim "Great Job!" in a fucking rainbow across the sky at this cluster fuck.

"Women used to be sacred" says employee defending his thrice-married boss who boasted of his affairs and sexual assaults, hosted gaudy teen beauty pageants, and routinely insults and demeans women for their appearance.

John Kelly is a real piece of work.

BriGuy

The gaslighting of America continues unabated.

I notice that for all of Kelly's handwringing about how amoral that mean ol' congresswoman is for attacking Trump, he doesn't mention once the soldier's mother confirming her account of the events.

tbm24

What's worse for me when it comes to Kelly is I at least assume he can read. The congresswoman who came out with this information explained in detail her relation to this fallen soldier and the fact that the widow in question put the president on speakerphone for all to hear. Yet, still goes out of his way to cry about tradition while ignoring why this congresswoman was aggrieved and also working for the Administration that goes out of its way to shit all over tradition, by their own admission.

Kevtones

So we have Kelly absorbing blame saying that this was the message after the fact.

At the very best, you have a rather shitty, boilerplate message of condolence that Trump was unable to communicate in a closed setting to an American citizen in a grieving state. He then lied about his fuck up and implied the grieving American citizen was lying.

How is this acceptable?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/19/john-kelly-frederica-wilson-trump-243956

They're flipping the narrative to focus on Wilson and stretching the semantics of Trump's statements to give him an out. I have a strong feeling they will succeed.

Fucking couldn't believe my ears when I saw that press event.

So to summarize:

Congresslady in car with widow, heard Trump failing to show empathy. Told what she heard.

Trump says it's all a lie and that he has proof. (recordings)

Due to the illegality of recordings, proof = Kelly's defense.

Kelly then while attempting to defend Trump, goes on yo prove that everything the congresswoman said that Trump said was actually 100% true, and that the real issue here is that a congresswoman was present while Trump was addressing a widow.

How can you somehow manage to be less than dirt?

How does actual dirt in a field have a cleaner soul than the president of the USA and his aides?

giphy.gif

This basically covers my reaction to those Kelly summaries. I just...

Exile20

Fucking couldn't believe my ears when I saw that press event.

So to summarize:

Congresslady in car with widow, heard Trump failing to show empathy. Told what she heard.

Trump says it's all a lie and that he has proof. (recordings)

Due to the illegality of recordings, proof = Kelly's defense.

Kelly then while attempting to defend Trump, goes on yo prove that everything the congresswoman said that Trump said was actually 100% true, and that the real issue here is that a congresswoman was present while Trump was addressing a widow.

How can you somehow manage to be less than dirt?

How does actual dirt in a field have a cleaner soul than the president of the USA and his aides?

Redirection. It is classic and obvious to people who are not blinded by Trump.

I'm still trying to mentally process the fact that a retired general... who lost a son in combat... just declared that it was open season on families of deceased service members... IF they oppose Trump. That's... that's actually what happened right?

So we have Kelly absorbing blame saying that this was the message after the fact.

At the very best, you have a rather shitty, boilerplate message of condolence that Trump was unable to communicate in a closed setting to an American citizen in a grieving state. He then lied about his fuck up and implied the grieving American citizen was lying.

How is this acceptable?

He somehow managed to never accuse the widow or her family of lying, he placed all the blame on Congresswoman Wilson. His army of trolls on the other hand...

"Is nothing sacred???" General Kelly screams into the air as he defends Donald Trump

All the while, Kelly hands over the corpse of his son to Trump to use as a shield. Trump used Kelly's son as an example in his "See, Obama didn't call everybody!" jab, and it seems Kelly's fine with that.

Isn't that the same old song and dance regarding the "leaks" his administration would cluck out early this year. "Collusion, deals with the devil and evil schemes behind closed doors, they aren't what's important. It's the people that listened in and warned the public of all that shit, THEY are the ones we should focus on!!! THEY are the ones doing wrong!"

test_account

XP-39C²
This could be interpreted in two way, in my opinion. One way implies that less symapthy should be given because they knew the risk. Another way is that its an attempt of comfort, saying that they knew the risk. Basically another way of saying "they knew they were putting their lives on the line every day". But of course, with different ways of interpreting things, it can be important to choose which words to use.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Top Bottom