• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump told Putin that some in the US were “exaggerating” how much Russia interfered

TankRizzo

Banned
https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/7/15937784/trump-putin-g20-meeting-outcome-syria-election

And the damage doesn’t stop there: According to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Trump told Putin that some in the United States were “exaggerating” how much Russia affected the election’s outcome — effectively dragging Moscow into Trump’s partisan wars here at home.

This development is the most interesting and important to come out of the Trump-Putin meeting. Effectively, Russia got what it wanted out of this encounter — namely, the appearance that the Trump administration accepts that the Kremlin didn’t interfere in the election.

this fucking guy

jelly

He is dumb as rocks.

So the only bad thing he has to say about Russia is a little soft tidbit on Ukraine.

Shadybiz

I don't read it as the White House accepts that they didn't interfere....I read it as they accept that Russia DID interfere, and just aren't going to DO anything about it (because our President is the sub in this relationship).

jelly

Look at him, he is lost. Putin has him 100%.

GettyImages_810245354.0.jpg

He is a piece of shit.

Hanging over the entire meeting was the question of whether Congress would pass sanctions on Russia as punishment for its election meddling. Trump noted the possibility that they may be enacted soon, but also told the Russian leader that he’d like to move past that issue. “The president took note of the actions that have been discussed by the Congress,” Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said. “But I think the two presidents — I think rightly — focused on how do we move forward?”

So Putin got Trump to buy his fake news on election interference and to offer a weak endorsement of upcoming sanctions.

chadskin

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If ever there was a day for 5pm double scoop bombshells...

AzureSky

no surprise there. He will deny it as long as he possible can.
If he doesnt, he might as well admit polls have been rigged in his favor and it would delegitimize him as president.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't read it as the White House accepts that they didn't interfere....I read it as they accept that Russia DID interfere, and just aren't going to DO anything about it (because our President is the sub in this relationship).
This is similar to how I read it too.

He's not denying it happened. By saying that its impact is exaggerated, he's indirectly acknowledging that the Russians DID interfere.

I think Trump doesnt want the Russia thing to be true because it would taint his win for him and god he loves to brag about his electoral win.

RPGCrazied

CNN said he was Presidential today. Everyone is losing their god damn mind. Yet little ol' me can see through this shit.

"I don't know if you have seen Vlad but they are really exaggerating how much you interfered. They think you did all this stuff on top of the few things you actually did. Crazy."

Trump has a fucking hard on for Russia and Putin. The dude is star struck. It's so ridiculous, he can't hide it when he meets him all while getting put on full blast by media and intel that Russia is fucking with us.

He's not denying it happened. By saying that its impact is exaggerated, he's indirectly acknowledging that the Russians DID interfere.
Nothing new from Trump. "Russia interfered, but so did other countries probably, and it's been going on a long time." Basically downplaying the significance of the 2016 interference by casting it as just regular spies doing spy stuff, just the normal order of things.

RPGCrazied

Is this an old joke or for real? If real, then what made him presidential.

Brian Stelter‏Verified account
@brianstelter

Brian Stelter Retweeted Mediaite
Gergen: "This seemed like we were back to normal life for the first time––one of the only times in the last few months."

Trump. Is. Not. Normal. I really wish they would stop this.

Mahonay

Banned
Nothing new from Trump. "Russia interfered, but so did other countries probably, and it's been going on a long time." Basically downplaying the significance of the 2016 interference by casting it as just regular spies doing spy stuff, just the normal order of things.
That's been the stance for the most part lately. Except when Trump just randomly decides to lie about something easily disproven.

Zolo

Trump. Is. Not. Normal. I really wish they would stop this.

It's perfectly normal to downplay Russian interference and set up a cybersecurity group with a hostile country that helped interfere in your election.

Even worse is he's not saying they didn't do it. He's just saying it's exaggerated how much effect they had.

Trump readily admits there was hacking by Russia, to the guy who signed off on the hacking.

But Trump says it was exaggerated as to how much the guy who signed off on the hacking actually accomplished.

Meanwhile, the guy Putin wanted to get elected, Trump, is sitting right next to him downplaying the results of his hacking efforts, at the G20 summit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Look at him, he is lost. Putin has him 100%.

GettyImages_810245354.0.jpg

He is a piece of shit.

Hanging over the entire meeting was the question of whether Congress would pass sanctions on Russia as punishment for its election meddling. Trump noted the possibility that they may be enacted soon, but also told the Russian leader that he’d like to move past that issue. “The president took note of the actions that have been discussed by the Congress,” Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said. “But I think the two presidents — I think rightly — focused on how do we move forward?”

So Putin got Trump to buy his fake news on election interference and to offer a weak endorsement of upcoming sanctions.

I like how Trump always has that stupid look on his face, hands hanging between his legs like that, when he knows he's beneath someone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The irony is that the party that brands itself the party of Christ and Patriotism is literally the opposite. Actually that's not irony at all. It's just shit.

People cheering this orange turd on are more likely to have US flags and shit. I can't even.

And for this shitshow I have to give special thanks to the fucking Electoral college.

Your election system sucks, America.

It does, but the most venal party would always have warped any system to suit their ends. It ultimately comes down to "which party is more bribeable." It would just mean different looking gerrymander maps, or the faster destruction of education or media.

And for this shitshow I have to give special thanks to the fucking Electoral college.

Your election system sucks, America.

As much as the system sucks, there is still this sad reality:

62,979,879 people willingly voted for Donald Trump.

Almost 63 million people voted for Trump.

SIXTY THREE MILLION PEOPLE

^ That's not just a systemic failure. That's an American ideological failure.

He's a total fucking fool. He's trying to tell the man who orchestrated all of it just how involved Russia was or wasnt. It's comically ridiculous.

UberTag

That's what a deep-rooted right-wing propaganda network and a failing education system will get you.
Democrats have no answer to either of these dilemmas that are designed around distorting reality, purveying fear and exploiting the ignorance of the electorate.

jelly

That's almost the whole population of the UK. We still had enough to vote Brexit :(

Top Bottom