• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump told Putin that some in the US were “exaggerating” how much Russia interfered

We aren't going to bomb Russia over it. Sanctions are still in place. The topic has been beaten to death over the past year. The former administration didn't seem to care much when it happened on their watch since they thought they had the election wrapped up.

Honest question - what more should we do about it at this point other then learn from it and work on preventing it from happening again?

Roll over and take it?

I mean what are you advocating? This isn't a "eh it happened already let's let bygones be bygones thing." Perhaps a punishment would deter interference and also show we aren't the puppet nation of Russia WHILE we also step up cyber security operations in US (and not team up on such endeavors with the nation who interfered in our election).

Trump's a fuckin' dick puppet sittin on Putin's lap. Putin's all, "Look, no hands! I could make him talk too", and Trump puppet's barks out, "They are all exaggerating about Russian interference, bigly! Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!" as a sea of dupes applaud.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Roll over and take it?

I mean what are you advocating? This isn't a "eh it happened already let's let bygones be bygones thing." Perhaps a punishment would deter interference and also show we aren't the puppet nation of Russia WHILE we also step up cyber security operations in US (and not team up on such endeavors with the nation who interfered in our election).

This is what I am asking - what type of punishment would you dish out?

Trump's a fuckin' dick puppet sittin on Putin's lap. Putin's all, "Look, no hands! I could make him talk too", and Trump puppet's barks out, "They are all exaggerating about Russian interference, bigly! Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!" as a sea of dupes applaud.
Lay off the adrenalin.

plufim

In this picture? Trump is

hart+bochner+die+hard.jpg
Putin? Boobie! Im your white Knight!

If Trump could play 4th dimensional chess, he would realise Putins leverage over him is also Putins downfall.

So if Trump bucked Putin. Then Putin does what? Release the tapes?

Americans vengeance would be swift and harsh.

Nafai1123

Banned
To Russia.

Strangle the shit out of their economy with even harsher sanctions.

Use our own cyber operations to infiltrate and subvert Putin's hold on the populace by using their own strategies against them.

Strengthen our bonds with NATO allies and help them implement more defenses to prevent Russian invasion.

Go hard at any and all Russian-related business in our country. Stop any money flowing from the US into Putin's pocket.

I think Russia is a wet dream to some Republicans. Dictatorship, White, Christian, fuck the poor, oligarchs, ruling class unopposed and what regulation except stuff that keeps the rich in power and getting richer. They are jealous of what Putin does. That's the America Republicans want.

Russia has positioned itself as the global bastion and defender of conservatism and traditional values. It's no surprise that Republicans are questioning whether they have more in common with Russia or people they legitimately despise.

Lowmelody

With this transparent acquittal being so willingly swallowed by so many along with the fact that we have officially offered Russia direct access to our IC with via 'cybersecurity' front it's clear now that Mueller is the last stopgap before violence will be needed to restore our republic. With the only refrain being that we can could in theory vote this corruption away being all but extinguished now that Russia has been invited to oversee our elections and 'cybersecurity'.

The very heart of the republic has been stopped. The window to resuscitate it peacefully and politically is close to shutting forever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Honest question - what more should we do about it at this point other then learn from it and work on preventing it from happening again?

In my opinion? Smash some non life threatening pieces of their tech infrastructure with a stuxnet style show of technological force, bankrupt and ruin a couple of senior oligarchs. Then squeeze them with a couple of ruthless financial sanctions and send a gray faced man to meet a Russian in a D.C. Park and say "fucking knock it off. Now."

Putin is probably giving Trump a discount on Kaspersky for all government PCs.

Although it sounds like they are investigating the company.

Russia has positioned itself as the global bastion and defender of conservatism and traditional values. It's no surprise that Republicans are questioning whether they have more in common with Russia or people they legitimately despise.

And the ones that ain't are too scattered and whipped to unite against it.

That NRA video is fascinatnig, and not just in a "so this is what you do to up membership and gun sales when a GOP is in the WH" way either.

Xyrmellon

Why are we taking Lavrov's version of events as gospel? Are you guys that far gone?

Tillerson had a different interpretation of the exchange, although he did say essentially that Russia will never admit what they did even though we know they did it. So both countries must move past this issue to get work done on other things.

This response isn't really much better, but it doesn't state Trump simply accepted Putin's denial and moved on.

norinrad

Hey Vlad, did you hack us?

No we didn't Donald but we will mess Europe up if you guys don't stop blaming us for all that is wrong over there.

Alright alright I was just checking whether what the intelligence community has been saying is right or not.

By the way thanks for speaking to me.

It was my pleasure Donald. Now let's get back to business.

Why are we taking Lavrov's version of events as gospel? Are you guys that far gone?

Tillerson had a different interpretation of the exchange, although he did say essentially that Russia will never admit what they did even though we know they did it. So both countries must move past this issue to get work done on other things.

This response isn't really much better, but it doesn't state Trump simply accepted Putin's denial and moved on.

Russia achieved exactly the kind of hysteria that they wanted. Also, Trump has lied so much that some people are willing to trust foreigners (who lie) over the Trump administration. Maybe they read too many Vox articles and have been brainwashed as well.

Chumly

We aren't going to bomb Russia over it. Sanctions are still in place. The topic has been beaten to death over the past year. The former administration didn't seem to care much when it happened on their watch since they thought they had the election wrapped up.

Trump is that you?

Senate already passed new sanctions which the trump administration is actively derailing. You cannot allow the administration to sweep this under the rug which is exactly what is happening.

Also what is this bullshit that the previous administration didn't care? Are people that deluded by trumps nonsense already?

cameron

Comment from Putin this morning, via WaPo: Putin says he thinks Trump ‘agreed’ with assurances that Russia did not interfere in U.S. elections
HAMBURG — Russian President Vladi­mir Putin on Saturday said that he assured President Trump that Moscow had not interfered in the 2016 presidential election, and that it appeared to him that Trump had agreed with his assurances.

“It seemed to me that he took it into account, and agreed” Putin told reporters on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Hamburg. The Russian president added “you should ask him.”

Russia’s foreign minister’s on Friday had said that Trump had “accepted” Putin’s assurances that Moscow did not run a hacking and disinformation campaign to help Trump’s campaign.

Putin Saturday said that Trump “asked many questions” about Russian interference in the 2016 elections. The Russian leader said he had repeated Moscow’s stance that “there was no basis to believe that Russia” interfered in the elections.

“I feel as though my answers satisfied him,” Putin said.
“What’s important is that we agreed that there should not be a situation of uncertainty about this,” Putin said, adding that the two sides had agreed to create a group to work on how to prevent interference in “the internal affairs of other countries.”

Putin said that based on his talks with Trump, “there is a chance that we can at least partly restore the level of cooperation that’s needed” in the U.S.-Russian relationship.

After the two presidents met Friday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters that Trump, after listening to Putin’s denial, accepted the Kremlin leader’s assurances and dismissed the U.S. investigation into Russian interference.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said at a separate news conference that Putin, along with the denials, had nonetheless agreed to bilateral talks to address preventing future interference in U.S. elections.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, asked about the differing accounts Saturday, said only: “You should trust Lavrov. I don’t work for Tillerson.”

Isn't saying it was exaggerated still admitting that there was interference, just not as much implied. This man can't get hold down his lies properly

To exaggerate means the action still took place.

Trump is a pussy. He will say anything to your face to avoid confrontation. It's what he did before dropping out of Paris, and it's what he's going to do at G20 whenever something comes up that makes him just slightly uncomfortable.

Top Bottom